BMW Fix for E46 M3 SMG problem

BMW Fix for E46 M3 SMG problem

There are 112 comments on the BMW CCA News story from Jun 25, 2007, titled BMW Fix for E46 M3 SMG problem. In it, BMW CCA News reports that:

“Fault 021. Tech found SIB 23 03 04”

The symptom was an almost instantaneous up-down-up shift from 2nd to third and back, without any request from me, starting out from a light at about 10MPH.. That happened only once, but the SMG warning lite on ... via BMW CCA News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BMW CCA News.

evoshed

Sheffield, UK

#22 May 11, 2009
hi has could you go into a bit more detail with your repair exactly how you done it, i have an 03 smg cab it still drives fine but has same fault as described and i am sure its the roof thats causing it thanks
mhly

Rockaway, NJ

#23 May 19, 2009
GeorgeM3 wrote:
Hi
I'm very new to this forum but am at the point of cracking up! I own a 2005 E46 M3 SMG. About a month ago I was driving and using the sequential mode of the gearbox. I was accelerating in 2nd gear and when I shifted up to 3rd gear the display consel flashed 3 for a couple of seconds then stopped flashing but then took about 4 seconds to actually engage. When it did engage the SMG tell tale light came on and then I only had options of 2nd gear and 6th gear....nothing else. I pulled up and turned the car off for a minute or so. When I turned it back on the tell tale light disappeared and the gears seemed to be ok. As soon as I accelarated and tried to change gear it did exactly the same thing. I took the car to Holland Park BMW and they told me that the fault logged was due to the clutch which I subsequently has replaced. I collected the car yesterday and to my dismay it's doing exactly the same thing apart from it now only gived me options of 2nd gear and 4th! Help! Does anyone else have this problem?
I have the same problem with my 2003 M3. What did you need to do?
mhly

Rockaway, NJ

#24 May 19, 2009
I have the same problem with my 2003 M3. What was needed to repair it?
michael makatta

Dartford, UK

#25 May 24, 2009
Andrew wrote:
hi changed the oil in my bmw smg2 02 reg and had oil service reset now the gear selector number permanantly flashes but the car is driving as normal perfect any ideas
try shutting down the engine compartment properly.
BlightyBMW

Sheerness, UK

#26 Jun 9, 2009
Hi, I have an 04 conv with the same problem with the smg light coming on all the time, but don't get any gear shift problems, in fact, she shifts better with the light on! The other problem I have is a sound at the back end like the axle is going to fall off when I drive at 25mph over small bumps.I have had an independent garage look at it with no signs of problems and has just flown its MOT.
TB
Duc Tran

Vancouver, WA

#27 Jul 2, 2009
gotguts wrote:
i have the same problem, but mine pops out of gear. Have you had it looked at yet? Mine is a 2002 convertible
<quoted text>
Hello,

I seemed to have the same problem as what you're describing. My SMG light comes on and sometimes accompany by the service engine light, but the actual poping out of gear doesn't always occur. I would very much appreciate any information that you can provide in regards to this problem that you had.

Thanks in advance.

Duke: [email protected]
Duc Tran

Vancouver, WA

#28 Jul 2, 2009
has wrote:
hi m3lew,
i had to do 2 things to get this sorted.
Using diagnostics tool and reset gearbox
also see if ur hood is closed properly. What happened is if u try to take ur hood down of its not on 0 then it thinks that hood isnt closed properly. German technology. i tried some of these things and it worked.
open half hood and try to drive on 5 mph max and then neutral and try closing hood. hope it helps
Has,

I am looking for answers to my issue and you mentioned about "resetting the smg gearbox"? The problem I am having is with the gear popping into neutral once in a while. I would really appreaciate any information you can provide. Thanks. [email protected]
asif

Leeds, UK

#29 Jul 3, 2009
hi i have a problem with my bmw m3 smg 03 the smg light come on and gears go into neutral it happend a few times i have it check by bmw scothall and they said it was the relay got that done but still doing the same back in again yesterday know there saying it the hydraulic pump unit that needs replacing totatly costing £2000.
lak

Cardiff, UK

#30 Jul 24, 2009
hi I'm having same problem with my m3 it only happens when the car engine is hot. i think it has something to do with smg heating too much and safety feature to put the car in nutral so it can cool down let me know if you have any comments email me [email protected]
NHere

Brunei, Brunei Darussalam

#31 Sep 5, 2009
same problem here with smg popping into neutral, and taking 4 mins to re-engage.
had to replace the car battery yesterday, and the smg light went off. i have a feeling it might happen again. light always comes on after engine is idle at N.
looks like forum members here have dealers that don;t really know what the problem is...
Duc Tran

Vancouver, WA

#32 Sep 6, 2009
NHere wrote:
same problem here with smg popping into neutral, and taking 4 mins to re-engage.
had to replace the car battery yesterday, and the smg light went off. i have a feeling it might happen again. light always comes on after engine is idle at N.
looks like forum members here have dealers that don;t really know what the problem is...
After much research and help from other SMG owners out there, I think we narrowed this particular problem down to the root cause and resolution. For the specific popping into neutral issue, the cause are quite certain that the problem is with the SMG hydraulic temperature sensor that is mounted on the hydraulic pump. The dealer will not replace just the sensor, but will replace the entire HCU, which cost about $2,300 just for parts alone. You can try to replace just the temperature sensor on the HCU and it should resolve this problem.

http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php...
Juan Pablo

Santiago, Chile

#33 Sep 14, 2009
m3lew wrote:
hi can any1 help me?? just brought a 52 reg me smg, when i drove it home the amber cog came up on the dash and stayed there!! every1 tried telling me to steer clear of a smg and stick to manual, i think they woz right, the car is driving normal but today i went out init and the gear selector 1,2,3,4,5,6 keeps flashing somebody plz plz help me, my email address is [email protected] thanks
Can be:
- Charging Relay
- Level gearbox Fluids
- Hidraulic Pump
i don´t think its the clauch because seems to make a weird metalic sound.
Also, can make a Gearbox Software upgrade and check the sensors in the hood and other that might be bad.
Gcerdam3

Whittier, CA

#34 Nov 18, 2009
My 05 M3 died on the way to work. I noticed leaking on the smg fluid resorvoir. The car then didn't turn off but wouldn't engage in any gear. I had to push my car to a safe lane. Now, the smg cog light came on and when i turned the car off, it wouldn't turn on any more. The car will not turn on anymore. My mechanic says that it may be the Hydraulic pump. Can some one assist me with this?

Thanks My email is [email protected]

Thanks
clifford pascal

UK

#35 Nov 21, 2009
To all users experiencing gears slipping and yellow or red cog issues, here's what i did when it happened to me 2 and a haf years ago on my M3 SMG.

Took the car to a guy in east London who was a BMW expert. On inspection of the gearbox he found ruptured hydraulic pressure lines that feed the SMG gearbox and actually engages and disengage the gears. He replaced the gearbox and that was that, no problems for 2 and a half years. Now i have another problem which occurred yesterday, basically the car does not turn over. All lights are on and battery is charged. BMW techie came out and ran a diagnostic check on the car which came up with a SMG Clutch problem. Can anyone help in locating the purchase of this component other than BMW parts?

Cheers

Clifford
clifford pascal

UK

#36 Nov 21, 2009
ps email on [email protected] uk

Cheers
boston

Hillsboro, OR

#37 Nov 25, 2009
why so many smg problems?
Bob

Chatham, UK

#38 Dec 12, 2009
Hi I have a 53 plate M3 SMG the yellow cog light comes on then I loss gears and have to stop switch off wait to the light goes off then restart and it`s ok for a short time then it comes back on again I went to B M W and they said I require a new clutch been a mechanic i got a new clutch and I removed the box to find the clutch is ok in fact very good condision so now I am trying to find what it can be I have noticed the clutch fork looks a little out of shape that would tell the computer that the clutch is needing to be replaced by slave cylinder travel i have the box still out now trying to find what can be the problem any light that some one can shine on
edy

Dubai, UAE

#39 Jan 19, 2010
M3 Owner MiddleEast wrote:
<quoted text>Hi I am having exactly the same problem, when I start to drive the car in the morning no problem but as soon as I have been driving for an hour the amber cog appears on the dashboard and will just drop out of gear in to neutrel. I have to manually put the gear in to neutrel and back again to make it engage the gear, wondered if this is the same issue and what has been done to recitiy it
would u like to sell it?
Fred

Carlsbad, CA

#40 Jan 21, 2010
clifford pascal wrote:
To all users experiencing gears slipping and yellow or red cog issues, here's what i did when it happened to me 2 and a haf years ago on my M3 SMG.
Took the car to a guy in east London who was a BMW expert. On inspection of the gearbox he found ruptured hydraulic pressure lines that feed the SMG gearbox and actually engages and disengage the gears. He replaced the gearbox and that was that, no problems for 2 and a half years. Now i have another problem which occurred yesterday, basically the car does not turn over. All lights are on and battery is charged. BMW techie came out and ran a diagnostic check on the car which came up with a SMG Clutch problem. Can anyone help in locating the purchase of this component other than BMW parts?
Cheers
Clifford
Having the same problem. The car is "stuck" in Reverse and will not engage to Neutral in order to start.
Dove

Birmingham, UK

#41 Feb 8, 2010
hi i have a 2003 bmw smg i was driving about 40mph then i smelt engine oil the engine light came so i pulled over,call recovery,took the car to the shop..the part which covers the timing chain was broken by the timing chain hence the reason for the oil lost,has anyone have this and what could cause it..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BMW Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs (Nov '07) Thu Robert vereb 472
News Tesla envy grips Germany's giants Sep 6 Solarman 1
News Russia's luxury gifts for Olympic medallists sp... Aug '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News 2017 BMW 740e plug-in hybrid gets 64 mpge, 14-m... Aug '16 Solarman 1
BMW 10pin obdii cable, BMW icom 10pin obd conne... Aug '16 choise 2
buy foxwell nt510 or bmw inpa? Jul '16 lanrce 1
Diagnosing and coding BMW E31 E38 using Foxwell... Jul '16 lanrce 2
More from around the web