BMW Fix for E46 M3 SMG problem

Jun 25, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: BMW CCA News

“Fault 021. Tech found SIB 23 03 04”

The symptom was an almost instantaneous up-down-up shift from 2nd to third and back, without any request from me, starting out from a light at about 10MPH.. That happened only once, but the SMG warning lite on ... via BMW CCA News

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of98
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ham

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2007

SMG problem the indicator light up when is hot and goes off when is cold in the morning
GeorgeM3

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2007

Hi

I'm very new to this forum but am at the point of cracking up! I own a 2005 E46 M3 SMG. About a month ago I was driving and using the sequential mode of the gearbox. I was accelerating in 2nd gear and when I shifted up to 3rd gear the display consel flashed 3 for a couple of seconds then stopped flashing but then took about 4 seconds to actually engage. When it did engage the SMG tell tale light came on and then I only had options of 2nd gear and 6th gear....nothing else. I pulled up and turned the car off for a minute or so. When I turned it back on the tell tale light disappeared and the gears seemed to be ok. As soon as I accelarated and tried to change gear it did exactly the same thing. I took the car to Holland Park BMW and they told me that the fault logged was due to the clutch which I subsequently has replaced. I collected the car yesterday and to my dismay it's doing exactly the same thing apart from it now only gived me options of 2nd gear and 4th! Help! Does anyone else have this problem?
john

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2007

bro why don't u try looking up in other forums!
http://www.birth-control-online.com
Nader

Castleford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

I own a bmw 320D SE, i recently experiened a problem with my car,the internal Indicator warning lights are not coresponding with the external ones, IE when i indicate external and the internal lights work at the same time but when i cancel the internal lights carry on flashing for about 30 Seconds, the CD player keeps cutting out during play and Aircon switches off as well as the internal light go Dimm! The strangest thing is the hall thing happens all at once and disapear all together as soon as i tap on the dash!Has any one else had these problems at all, any comments or advice?
bricoutts

Portsmouth, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2007

my m3 has smg when I try up shift paddle some times it will not shift up,but is ok when I use down shift paddle,Have no problems with the gear stick shift can you reset smg with out going though bmw thanks Bri
gotguts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

i have the same problem, but mine pops out of gear. Have you had it looked at yet? Mine is a 2002 convertible
Ham wrote:
SMG problem the indicator light up when is hot and goes off when is cold in the morning
adam

Laval, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

hey GeorgeM3 i have the same probleme!!! on my m3 2002.... email me maybe we can find the problem versace1982@hotmail.com thanks and if anyone knows whats the problem or have an idea let me know please!!! thanks y all!!
M3 Owner MiddleEast

UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2007

gotguts wrote:
i have the same problem, but mine pops out of gear. Have you had it looked at yet? Mine is a 2002 convertible
<quoted text>
Hi I am having exactly the same problem, when I start to drive the car in the morning no problem but as soon as I have been driving for an hour the amber cog appears on the dashboard and will just drop out of gear in to neutrel. I have to manually put the gear in to neutrel and back again to make it engage the gear, wondered if this is the same issue and what has been done to recitiy it
Spiny

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2007

I have this exact same problem, sometime the 'up' paddle does not respond, but the down and lever are fine. It only does it sometimes. 2003 M3 Anyone know what it is?
bricoutts wrote:
my m3 has smg when I try up shift paddle some times it will not shift up,but is ok when I use down shift paddle,Have no problems with the gear stick shift can you reset smg with out going though bmw thanks Bri
getmoney

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2007

[that is not a big problem you need to replace the up shift paddle
Spiny

Ashfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2007

It is now sorted after a bigg bill from the BMW main dealer 500. They thought it was the slip rings on the steering column, then the paddle switch,and then checked all the wiring back to the box, but it turned out to be a loose connection in the SMG control box. The good news it is fine now. Hope this helps you bricoutts.
dee

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2007

hold the - paddle with the engine on turn the steering wheel full lock to the left and to the right.
Dee

Livingston, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2008

Judged:

I have a 2001 M3 smg convertible, the amber cogg keeps coming on and the gears will not engage so I pull over turn off leave for few minutes and light goes out, car will drive for days and then do it again, anyone else had this problem, help!
john

Burwood, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

GeorgeM3 wrote:
Hi
I'm very new to this forum but am at the point of cracking up! I own a 2005 E46 M3 SMG. About a month ago I was driving and using the sequential mode of the gearbox. I was accelerating in 2nd gear and when I shifted up to 3rd gear the display consel flashed 3 for a couple of seconds then stopped flashing but then took about 4 seconds to actually engage. When it did engage the SMG tell tale light came on and then I only had options of 2nd gear and 6th gear....nothing else. I pulled up and turned the car off for a minute or so. When I turned it back on the tell tale light disappeared and the gears seemed to be ok. As soon as I accelarated and tried to change gear it did exactly the same thing. I took the car to Holland Park BMW and they told me that the fault logged was due to the clutch which I subsequently has replaced. I collected the car yesterday and to my dismay it's doing exactly the same thing apart from it now only gived me options of 2nd gear and 4th! Help! Does anyone else have this problem?
WHAT FIXED THIS
Andrew

Beckton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2008

hi changed the oil in my bmw smg2 02 reg and had oil service reset now the gear selector number permanantly flashes but the car is driving as normal perfect any ideas
Fanuel

Edenvale, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

l have a 325 ci that has locked in sport mode does any one know how to handle this?
Joey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2009

Judged:

hey i got the same problem as you, but mine is a little different. when i turn on my BMW M3 it just stared with 2nd gear but not 1st gear. and it wont shift to 3rd or 4th or any of the gears. Then i have accelerate to high RPM then when its in high RPM it automatically changes to 5th gear then i can switch to all other gears. But as i slow down toward stop light or stop sign i can hear a click then it does the same thing goes back to 2nd gear and wont shift. then i have to repeat and or do the same thing like accelerate back to 5th gear till it lets me change gears again. do you think you know anything about this? if you can give me some advise it will be great. Thanssss...
Kam

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Andrew wrote:
hi changed the oil in my bmw smg2 02 reg and had oil service reset now the gear selector number permanantly flashes but the car is driving as normal perfect any ideas
Make sure the bonnet is shut properly.
m3lew

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

hi can any1 help me?? just brought a 52 reg me smg, when i drove it home the amber cog came up on the dash and stayed there!! every1 tried telling me to steer clear of a smg and stick to manual, i think they woz right, the car is driving normal but today i went out init and the gear selector 1,2,3,4,5,6 keeps flashing somebody plz plz help me, my email address is prettyboy232@hotmail.com thanks
has

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

hi m3lew,

i had to do 2 things to get this sorted.

Using diagnostics tool and reset gearbox

also see if ur hood is closed properly. What happened is if u try to take ur hood down of its not on 0 then it thinks that hood isnt closed properly. German technology. i tried some of these things and it worked.

open half hood and try to drive on 5 mph max and then neutral and try closing hood. hope it helps

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of98
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the BMW Forum right now

Search the BMW Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
bmw parts south africa - bmw spares (May '10) Mon Lourens 201
GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs (Nov '07) Apr 10 Lou Williams 362
BMW warns on mass fraudulent emails under the n... (May '07) Apr 1 cindy 1,135
Vipers Crushed, 2015 BMW X4, Traffic Grows: Wha... Mar '14 krazy 1
Locate and replace BMW cabin air filter Feb '14 FilterLocation 2
The real secret - meekness Jan '14 Marie DuMabeiller 1
A Closer Look (Apr '06) Jan '14 Andrew 16
•••

Buy a New Car