GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

There are 491 comments on the Edmunds.com story from May 22, 2007, titled GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Replying to: ppalonsky FWIW, the shifting issue has a TSB issued and a dealer can fix it, and the gas gauge being off is going to require a software update that is in development. via Edmunds.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Winterwine

Spruce Grove, Canada

#122 Jul 17, 2011
Yes we just experienced the same problem today. We got it to the dealership with black smoke and oil smell coming from the exhaust. I will keep you posted what they do to repair it :-) Should be interesting.
Nicole
Spruce Grove, AB, Canada
frustrated wrote:
I have a 2008 Acadia SLT2 - AWD and the service stabilitrack; traction control warning light keeps on coming on. I have had it serviced two times already and the dealership only clears the codes. Is there a solution to this problem? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for any info you can give me.
Karrar

UAE

#123 Jul 21, 2011
My acadia 2008 have problem with water leak from the sun roof-- I beleive this is design defect-- GMC should solve this defect and free -- Even during car wash water will leak inside and making carpet and smell very bad-- I am afraid water may damage electrical and electronic equipment inside the dashboard...My car is now 100000Km --Please advise me how to solve this problem?
mary

Edwardsville, IL

#124 Aug 1, 2011
I have a 2008 gmc acadia w/49,000 miles and had numerous problems...main computer has failed twice, water pump, transmission in addition to many other repairs. After my water pump and transmision went out within 4 days I am ready to get rid of the worthless car. GM is only offering to give me $2000 off a new car. This is just a slap in the face..do they really think I would buy another GM product when they don't stand behind their product. I hate to say it but the foreign made cars I have owned have all lasted over 100,000 miles w/out only minor repairs. GM will only let me talk to a liason and not the person who actually made this decision...I gues they want to hide out in their office and not deal with the problems. Next step is get somewhere with the lemon law. Don't buy a GM!!
Toylexus

Templeton, CA

#125 Aug 1, 2011
I have some info for some of the water leak complaints. GM had a customer satisfaction campaign (Campaign # 08207A) for sunroof water leaks for 2007-2008 Acadia, and certain other family members of the R/V platform. This campaign expired on on September 30, 2009. The campaign involved drilling out rubber drains at both A-pillars that can clog. This drain clog would allow water to backup the front drain tubes and pour into the front area of the headliner. It also involved adding drain tube extensions to both drains near the B-pillar because the plastic tubes were too short and would pull out of the of the rubber attaching elbows. When this happened, water was free to drain onto the top of the headliner and into the vehicle very quickly. There was also a check at the drain tubes near the C-pillars. It involved securing the rubber drain tubes to the sunroof frame with zip ties.

If this campaign was completed in its entirety and correctly, it would stop those water leaks. There have been (obviously) other concerns besides this campaign that have created water leaks. There is another common leak that is related only to vehicles with the stationary panoramic roof glass. There are assembly holes on the corners of the roof around the glass that can start leaking water onto the headliner. This repair involves lowering the headliner and sealing all 4 holes with urethane. Again, when done correctly, this procedure will stop water from leaking.
Toylexus

Templeton, CA

#126 Aug 1, 2011
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be so sure. My stabilitrak light came on while I was idling and I immediately noticed a miss in the engine. The next day the engine light came on. Right now it's at the dealer have a new head put on the right side of the engine and NO work done on the Stabilitrak. I know, seems totally unrelated, but it's a fact.
When GM redesigned the electrical architecture for the Acadia/outlook/enclave, they changed things up quite a bit from the way it has been done in the past. This is one of those things. In most cases when the Stabilitrak message accompanies a 'Check Engine' light, there is nothing wrong with the Stabilitrak system.

The Stabilitrak system will be disabled when a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) sets, for example, in the engine control module for a misfire. Because there is a misfire in the engine, the Stabilitrak system may not be able to operate correctly if it is needed. In this case the Stabilitrak system would most likely set a Diagnostic Trouble Code C0561.

Simply put, GM directs the technician to check for codes in the powertrain and body control computers before attempting to diagnose the Stabilitrak. If the technician working on the vehicle is unfamiliar with this, it can result in the tech's confusion as to the real issue and possibly misdiagnosis. It also means you will have to make repeat trips to the dealership until a tech gets your car that either knows enough or cares enough to take the time to figure it out.
jrr907

Greenville, SC

#127 Aug 6, 2011
SoCal Guy wrote:
I just had the same problem with my 2007 Acadia SLT today while on my way to work. I got the warning saying my stabilitrack was off and reducing power, next thing it says need oil change soon (even i'm about 1000 mi before my next oil change) but that's after the stabilitrack was stored and engine running normal again. The engine check light stayed on the whole time. It happened again on my way home. NOTE: I also noticed my oil percentage life reads zero percent now, it was in the 80% before this happened.
Hi did you get this problem fixed if so can you tell me what the problem was i'm currently experiencing same exact problem
DBOWMAN

Atlanta, GA

#128 Aug 12, 2011
Chris wrote:
I have a 2007 Accadia, and I am having A/C issues. If the car sits in the sun for a couple of hours, it takes the A/C about 30 minutes to blow cold air. Any solutions?
I bought a used 09 Acadia a few months ago, and it has been a great vehicle up until last weekend when the A/C quit working. Took it to the shop to have the A/C re-charged, and it worked great for the next few days. Drove it today ( a week later) and the A/C is acting funky again. This time it blows cold air in the rear portion of the vehicle, but only blows luke-warm air from the front vents. Anyone else having this issue? If so, were you able to get this resolved??
SBfrom PA

Lititz, PA

#129 Aug 15, 2011
2008 Acadia SLT2 roof water leaks. Amazing. I just keep hopping from one web site to another reading the sae thing over and over about leaking sunroofs, fried out electrical components etc. I will not buy an Acadia ever and probably not a GM ever again. What is crazy is the lack of any real urgency to fix it in the following years of the new Acadias. Myguess is this line will be dropped after 2012. It's got to be costing them a bundle in customer service support calls and dealer visits.
joe graves

Prince Frederick, MD

#130 Aug 15, 2011
we have a 2008 Acadia and have had nothing but problems with it also! tranny went up dealer had it for over 2 months straight! NOW A new problem its hard to explain but when my wife is driving the truck will make a screaching sound and lock up for a second jerking her forward? I take care of my trucks on a regular schedule! Im thinking its the tranny again? does it alot when slowing down and going around a turn! but has started doing it driving straight down the road! ANY IDEAAS PLEASE IM LOST WITH THIS ONE!
KMM

Borger, TX

#131 Aug 15, 2011
Very frustrated wrote:
My Acadia started having the engine light come on and when I contacted Onstar to run a check on it, the report says that there is a misfire and there is a problem with cylinders 1 and 6. The car has a jerking feeling between 1000 and 2000 RPMs. Is anyone else having this type of problem? If so, any suggestions I should take to the dealer since this is my 4th trip in with this problem and they just don't seem to know what to do to get it fixed.
Have them check the coils my 09 had to have 2 replace but same symptoms. Once I found a dealer who knew what they were doing Ihad no more problems
Dontay

Weehawken, NJ

#132 Aug 28, 2011
I have a 2008 GMC Acadia, SLT2 that has a humming sound at the front while the vehicle is in idle and when I turn the steering wheel. I noticed the sound after finaning the vehichle in March but I thought it was the fan. I had it checked by the vendor from whom it was purchased but they found no fault. It actually stopped humming the day I got it back but started the very next day. By then, they told me it was no longer under the 3 months used car warranty. The humming has since become lounder. What causes the humming? Frankly, I don't have the funds now to take it to a GMC dealer for a full assessment and repair.
DPC

Saratoga, CA

#133 Aug 29, 2011
GM Junk wrote:
<quoted text>
I own an 08 GMC Acadia when at idle speed for instance at a stop light the service engine soon light flashes then is followed by a service stabilitrack and service traction control message is displayed. I have had it in 3 times the error code reads P0306. misfire cylinder 6. This last time I had them dive a little deeper into the problem and they found low compression on the rear bank of cylinders with very low compression on cylinder 6. The problem was 2 bent valves. They are repairing the engine but I will most likely trade it in since problem will end up causing other problems down the road.
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Same exact thing has just happened to me.
Ditto!! Just happened to us yesterday. 67K on the '08 and we have some "bent valves" hopefully it will be covered under the drivetrain warranty!
Dontay

Weehawken, NJ

#134 Aug 30, 2011
Were you ever able to identify what caused the whining sound from your power steering? I am having the same problem with my 2008 Acadia and I would hate to take it to a dealership who does not immediately know the solution. I've read about so many GMC owners having this type of problem and the GMC service people appeared not to immediately know the root cause but instead try a whole bunch of stuff, which often times do not fix the problem.
MBD

Conroe, TX

#135 Aug 30, 2011
"Stabilitrack off" came on and is followed shortly after by "Service Braking System" message. I used the parking brake once the other day and released it before driving. A little later was driving out of my garage and the door would not close so I braked before leaving my driveway until it closed. During this time the "Stabilitrack off" message came on, lit up the icon on the dashboard along with the brake icon. Eventually having the car off for awhile it reset. Then this morning, it all came back on (two days later) while sitting at a stop light. I have just over 69K miles on it. I'm set for a dealership review tomorrow along with a slightly overdue oil change. I think this car is a piece of garbage. All our repairs have been expensive. We even lost our antenna just using a drive in car wash!!!! I have not attempted to repair that...
DBSCHRA

Bluffton, OH

#136 Aug 31, 2011
frustrated wrote:
I have a 2008 Acadia SLT2 - AWD and the service stabilitrack; traction control warning light keeps on coming on. I have had it serviced two times already and the dealership only clears the codes. Is there a solution to this problem? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for any info you can give me.
Im having the same problem with my 2009. I just wish I could get a straight anwser out of someone on how to fix it.
tracy kobelt

Milton, NY

#137 Sep 8, 2011
frustrated wrote:
i had pump and new track still works when it wants too almost killed myself and other people too many times gm said not covered out of warranty
tracy kobelt

Milton, NY

#138 Sep 8, 2011
lets start a class action lawsuit enough people we can do it lets help each other
Canadian

Montréal, Canada

#139 Sep 14, 2011
I was thinking of buying a GM product, Acadia, ENclave, to get rid off my Lemon (Odyssey 2003), but I will stick to NIssan or Toyota
Tara

Kirkland, WA

#140 Sep 16, 2011
John wrote:
Own a slt 07 and have gone through 2 ac delco 5 year batteries. one at 10,000 miles next at 32000 miles. Warning says service battery charging system. Any one have ideas?
Did you ever find out what this issue was? My Acadia is doing this now and they are telling me the battery and the alternator are both fine. I am trying to research what else it could be.
seetee819

Kansas City, MO

#141 Sep 26, 2011
SPURG wrote:
<quoted text>
Brought my Acadia in for service again for the stabilitrak problem. Tech stated my master brake cylinder was leaking. The master cylinder needed to be replaced. Also, the fluid leaked onto another part the need to be replaced. Seems like all the post I read for the stabilitrac problem have a different resolution.
I got the same diagnosis on my 2007 Saturn Outlook. The Stabilitrak warning would come on and then it would say Service Braking System. The dealer charged me $90 to check it out. Said the master cylinder was low on fluid. Couldn't find any leaks in the lines. Said the master cylinder was leaking into the vacuum booster and both would need replaced. Cost is $750. Reading posts to see if this is a common problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BMW Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BMW Fix for E46 M3 SMG problem (Jul '07) Feb 4 Berber22 113
News BMW warns on mass fraudulent emails under the n... (May '07) Jan '17 massimo carducci 1,158
I bet you never saw a BMW pickup? Jan '17 All 1
BMW E39 Dashboard Lights (Mar '06) Jan '17 Manny 345
Wooden Bedroom Furniture Sale Nov '16 nove004 1
bmw parts south africa - bmw spares (May '10) Nov '16 Cilat 229
Cheap Kitchen For Sale Bracknell Forest Area UK Nov '16 nove002 1
More from around the web