jpf

Canada

#1 Jun 18, 2006
Hey guys,
I'm a tremendous fan of the z4 and i'm faced with a gorgeous black/tan 3.0i (11k miles) with the sport rims at a joke of a price. So I have to ask, as i'm looking for a year-round car, can it be driven in the winter (obviously with winter tires) without it slipping and sliding all over the place? I'm a young guy so a year-round 2-seater isn't an issue.
Thanks!
ELFANDREINDEER

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#2 Aug 4, 2006
HAVE HAD THE Z4 WINTER EXPERIENCE -- THE CAR IS A SLED ON THE SNOW AND ICE. ON THE SLIGHTEST OF INCLINES THE CAR JUST STOPPED MOVING FORWARD. JUST PARK IT AND WAIT FOR THE FIRST THAW
miumiu

Vancouver, Canada

#3 May 27, 2007
absolute impossible! i had z4 2.4 smg before i try to drove in winter when i drove out of my garage my z4 was totally fucked up. if you really want to drive it in winter you must do two things the first is winter tier two you need go to canadian tier to buy four bag of sand taotal is 200 pound put it in the trunk then you can drive but don't faster then 40km/h or i will see you on news paper next day
p2itary

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Jul 7, 2007
I live in Indianapolis. I drive my Z4 all winter. However, I change to winter tires. It makes all the difference and I would not attempt this without the winter tires. I have a long steep driveway. In fresh snow there is no problem unless my wife and kids have packed it down and I try to make a new path. Only a few times I left it on the street because i couldn't make it up. I have the custom front spoiler that is only about 6 inches from the ground. Thus, rather than make the Z4 a snow plow I will not drive it after a deep snow and before the roads are cleared.
Z4 not fun in snow

Chicago, IL

#5 Aug 28, 2007
I was caught in a blizzard on I90 West of Buffalo headed for Chicago in early April. Still frightens me to think of the terror of those 5 hours. I couldn't get off because the ramps were too deep. Back end almost came around 1/2 dozen times. Couldn't pull over due to visibility. The chances of being buried and run over were high. Had to get towed off at an exit ramp in Erie. Didn't have snow tires. Had the cursed run flats. Wrong equipment for circumstances, but who expected 14" of snow, in a few hours, in April? I drive it year round, but it doesn't go out if snow is in forcast. Thank goodness Chicago doesn't get much snow.
sir

Monroe, MI

#6 Feb 24, 2008
yeaa i wanted to get eithr the z4 or honda s2k but im worried it might be tough...my frnds got a 04 328ci and he manages in the winter...with winter tires ouf course, but i donno if it is the same thing
RENNIE

Jersey City, NJ

#7 Jul 29, 2008
I live in Ossining NY and drive to Newtown Conn 3-4x per week. I would like to buy a Z4 to drive year round with 4 snows and weight plates in the trunk
in winter. How wise is this?
Vic

Old Bridge, NJ

#8 Sep 1, 2008
You'll be ok. Remember that driving is controlling the car and ultimately it all comes down to your driving technique (if you have any). Winter tires are an excellent idea but then again i've managed the tough winter in NJ with the run flats just fine. The rear end slides when the power to grip ratio is 3-1, which means that you have to accelerate in a jerky manner to make that happen. Another thing i see a lot is people braking unnecesarily, and guess what happens when you do that in snow, ice or rain?? I think that nowadays people are getting too spoiled and wussy about cars and their "handling" instead of worrying about how to be better drivers.

PS: Get ALL WEATHER rubber mats, you'll definitely need those!
Vic

Passaic, NJ

#9 Nov 15, 2008
How are they in the rain? I'm also planning to purchase one for an all year round. I live in Jersey so we don't get too much snow. This is the car I want, but just concerned about the RWD in snow and rain. I do need to get up a few hills coming home, but hopefully that won't be a problem. How many miles can these Z4's get up to btw? sorry to change topics, lol.(planning to buy an 03' Z4)
TUSHAR MATHUR

Flint, MI

#10 Dec 10, 2008
Well, I live in Flint, Michigan and it snows a lot here. It hasn't really started yet though Im totally struggling with my Z4. Now I enquired at BMW Show Room and the winter tires cost 3grand.
Im really unsure whether its a wise idea to make this investment and even with the winter tires and sand bags will by z4 survive the terrible winters here.
Any suggestion guys..??
Vidhyesh

Farmington, MI

#11 Jan 7, 2009
You can buy them from Tirerack.com , cost abt 1000$ they a have a local installers
David

Redmond, WA

#12 May 17, 2009
TUSHAR MATHUR wrote:
Well, I live in Flint, Michigan and it snows a lot here. It hasn't really started yet though Im totally struggling with my Z4. Now I enquired at BMW Show Room and the winter tires cost 3grand.
Im really unsure whether its a wise idea to make this investment and even with the winter tires and sand bags will by z4 survive the terrible winters here.
Any suggestion guys..??
Tire Rack has a set of wheels & snows 4 $ 1200.00
Rolf-Dieter

London, Canada

#13 Feb 13, 2010
I recommend some other means of transportation in the winter time my friends. Park your Z4 for the winter and enjoy it in early spring. I drive my wife's Jag Type X AWD in the winter time and here and then when the roads are dry I take my Z4 3.0IS for a spin then hide it until spring ~s~ if you don't have access to another car, friends ride or local transportation during the winter months then get yourself something that will help you thru the snow in the winter. By all means save your Z4 for the spring, summer and fall. Happy motoring,
Aurek

Saskatoon, Canada

#14 Mar 6, 2010
Okay, so just because it's RWD doesn't mean it's the devil in snow. As someone else mentioned it all comes down to driving technique. I drove winters in Canada with a camaro and no weight in the trunk. I got stuck twice in 7 yrs. And please, don't give me this business of it's a light car. It weighs 3,000lbs! That's only 100lbs less than a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. Yes, you can't go out there with the performance tires (no car can) but equipped with proper tires you'll be all good. The only disadvantage is your ground clearance can turn you into a snow plow.. but it really isn't a snow plow. So in average snow fall you'd be fine. On the heavy dumps you could have trouble. Even my '98 Jeep Wrangler sucked in winter when my tires were bad. It all comes down to driving technique. I agree with those who have said society has gotten soft. Look at the cars our parents and grandparents drove. And let's be honest, in years before we got more snow. They didn't have AWD with traction control.
Mirza

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

#15 Oct 14, 2010
Z4 not fun in snow wrote:
I was caught in a blizzard on I90 West of Buffalo headed for Chicago in early April. Still frightens me to think of the terror of those 5 hours. I couldn't get off because the ramps were too deep. Back end almost came around 1/2 dozen times. Couldn't pull over due to visibility. The chances of being buried and run over were high. Had to get towed off at an exit ramp in Erie. Didn't have snow tires. Had the cursed run flats. Wrong equipment for circumstances, but who expected 14" of snow, in a few hours, in April? I drive it year round, but it doesn't go out if snow is in forcast. Thank goodness Chicago doesn't get much snow.
HI,
I live in Sarajevo, that's in Bosnia, Europe and we get a lot of snow, i own a 3.0i Z$'03 its lowered so it would be just liek a plough if i drove in the snow even on Michelin tires which i gather are the best Alpine A4 i think. My question to all you other Z4 owners is this, what about the business CD can the damn thing be fixed so it doesnt trip in the middle of a track??
Hey to everyone from Sarajevo
LPA

Canada

#16 Nov 21, 2010
QUESTION for you - please can you share which tires you put on your Z4 for driving in snow?
p2itary wrote:
I live in Indianapolis. I drive my Z4 all winter. However, I change to winter tires. It makes all the difference and I would not attempt this without the winter tires. I have a long steep driveway. In fresh snow there is no problem unless my wife and kids have packed it down and I try to make a new path. Only a few times I left it on the street because i couldn't make it up. I have the custom front spoiler that is only about 6 inches from the ground. Thus, rather than make the Z4 a snow plow I will not drive it after a deep snow and before the roads are cleared.
flintoid

Winchester, CA

#17 Feb 1, 2011
If you live in Flint you should before concerned with the car getting stolen or vandalized.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BMW Z4 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SMG Transmission good? (Mar '07) May '14 Bill 38
Fifteen Years of the BMW X5: The Life of the SU... (Dec '13) Dec '13 chris S 1
Cash & Cars lottery battles cancer (Sep '13) Sep '13 Playslip 2
Watch Kelly Clarkson Play a Misfit Scientist in... (May '13) May '13 Faloola Chong 1
Luxury German Automaker Standardizes Another 20... (Dec '09) Mar '13 Suresh goswami 3
Z4 rattle (Jul '07) Jan '13 Jack 11
buzzer (Aug '12) Aug '12 doccnc 1
More from around the web