What Would You Buy? 2009 Carrera S Or...

What Would You Buy? 2009 Carrera S Or BMW M3?

There are 28 comments on the AutoSpies story from Jul 23, 2008, titled What Would You Buy? 2009 Carrera S Or BMW M3?. In it, AutoSpies reports that:

Tag Links: 2009 Porsche Carrera S , 2008 BMW M3 What Would You Buy? 2009 Carrera S Or BMW M3? Now that the 2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S has upped the ante with a 385HP engine, awesome PDK tranny, bluetooth and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AutoSpies.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SHYKORA US 3

Calgary, Canada

#22 Oct 4, 2009
..the porsche....eh...
Johnny

Phoenix, AZ

#23 Oct 9, 2009
Jonathan,
Do yourself a favor and take a test drive in a 911 Carrera S. I owned a Cayman for 2 years and was absolutely "blown away" by the ride of the 911. It give you some feeling as you shift through the 6 speed.
Jonathan N wrote:
I get exactly what you are saying. I also had the opportunity to own two BMW'S. A Z3 and 740IL, and I really loved them. They are wonderful cars but my dream was always to have a Porsche, when I finally bought my Boxster I couldnt believe what I had been missing. The Boxster was superior to the Z3 in every aspect. The fun factor far better, great handling, better looks and the engine sound just unbeatable. You feel at a different level when driving a Porsche. Then I got my Carrera and there are not words to express what this car is like.
Whoever says that BMW sucks is far from right, but Porsche is definitely a better car in every way.
ilikecars

Fullerton, CA

#24 Oct 13, 2009
First of all, price wise, the base Carrera is a better competitor.

If you need a 4 door, 5 seater (I did); and find the rear tail-lights acceptable (which I eventually did), the answer is obvious. M3 coupe (e92) and sedan (e90) performance differences are not significant (I couldn't tell and the many articles I've read confirm this).

If you need usable back seats for 2 medium size adults to fit in, but not 4 doors; the answer is obvious. Back seat in a 911 is, you know, not big.

The carrera (997) overall feels more sporty to me. I believe due to steering feel, seat height, size/weight (I haven't driven the heavier 911's (turbo's or 4's), just the carrera, and carrera s.

But this is not Republican versus Democrat.
Most people think these are excellent cars. I enjoy good options.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#25 Oct 14, 2009
I have a bit of with M cars (E46 M3 & E39 M5 in the States). That said, I have driven a Carrera on the Autobahn, and I have seen a Carrera 4S perform on the Autobahn next to a Ferrari 430. This was one early morning on the A3 going from Frankfurt to Wurzburg, no traffic. It was absolutely amazing how fast both of these cars were in a straight line. I drive a E60 535d in Europe, itself a very fast car, but nowhere near as quick as the Carrera.
DaveCA

Zephyrhills, FL

#26 Nov 12, 2009
There are some great answers to this question but it really comes down to the individual driver.

My friend has a 2009 M3 double clutch auto and he loves it. But he's one of those "stat heads". 1/10th of a second 0-60 means the world to him and he seems to view every performance car with 3 sole factors in mind: 0-60 speed, top speed, horsepower. He loves all the fancy gadgets in his M3 and that's great and all - he's always fiddling with buttons and settings and talking about what does what. Admittedly, some of that stuff seems pretty neat.

But it all means nothing to me.

I have a 2009 Carrera 2S. Manual. I know full well there are cars out there than can get to 0-60 faster than mine, and cost less. But I really see no real world application of a couple tenths of a second difference. What matters to me is the driving experience (thus the manual. I'm sure you can have a great time in an auto, but I personally prefer being way more engaged in the processes and performance of the car). I don't want a "Launch" button. If I want to launch, I'll rev it up to 5000RPM and pop the clutch. I don't want lights blinking at me and telling me when to shift and what to do. I want my ears and eyes and familiarity with my car's engine sound and feel to tell me that. I don't want to push a button to downshift or simply brake, but want to heel-toe in to a corner so I can speed out of it.

I've had and driven numerous sports and performance cars but see myself only owning 911s from here on out. Nothing else has been able to compare to the driving experience, how involved you feel with your car, the fun, and truly being totally immersed in it all. Quality-wise, I feel it's second to none. You can hammer it hard and drive the hell out of it at the track on weekends, and then use it to commute to work every week day - and it won't break down on you or fall apart on you. Heck, it'd probably just love you more for it.

M3 is a marvelous piece of technology, no doubt.

But the 911 is a marvelous union of technology and driver, IMHO.
Jasmin

Louisville, KY

#27 Dec 30, 2009
M-power for meee 911 too low too ground like vette only bmw for me
patrick

Bari, Italy

#28 Sep 23, 2010
Oh what the hell, buy them both...!!
Lexx721

Puyallup, WA

#29 Aug 26, 2012
Well I have both a BMW & a Porsche, a 2000 Dinan M5 & 2009 Porsche Cayman S, both are in a different world, this is why I have both! The BMW is the raw year M5 with Dinan taking it to the next level & the Cayman S has everything done to it with GT3 gearing software with exhaust to boot! The PDK in the Cayman is a pleasure & a drive's dream come true but I enjoy going back to the rawness of a 6 speed with the M5. I like the gas mileage of the Cayman (20/29) over the gas guzzling M5 (14/22)...there is something quite sexy to gun it & save gas! Porsche is on another level, why they so fast & economical to boot?! BMW still with all their technology to spare still haven't quite figure this part of the equation! So that's my 2 cents on the issue! Plus also nothing handles like a Porsche & my Cayman S the way it's built will pass up on most Carerra S' anyways, butt the 911 model is another animal, till just these past couple years, Boxsters need not apply here! Make your money, spend your money, you only live once!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BMW M3 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BMW Fix for E46 M3 SMG problem (Jul '07) Apr '16 Rue 112
new M3 sedan and convertible spotted at BMWNA i... (Feb '08) Mar '15 posews 2
News BMW M3 simulator inside an actual BMW M3 (Jul '07) Mar '15 lurcus 3
News Mercedes' Latest High-Powered AMG Sedan Is 100%... (Sep '14) Sep '14 don 1
News General Motors Says Goodbye To One Of The BEST ... (May '14) May '14 e60 M5 e46 M3 1
News A new supercar is born (Mar '06) Oct '12 Mike Smithy 5
News BMW M3 vs. MB C63 AMG vs. Audi RS4 by Car and D... (Nov '07) Oct '12 CRAZYTONE 28
More from around the web