BMW and Infiniti duke it out over the letter "M"

Mar 20, 2007 Read more: Carscoop 36
These days, we see law suits galore and sometimes over the most menial things. But a law suit over the letter "M" might be going over board. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kris

AOL

#21 Jul 10, 2008
i have an infiniti g35 and i absolutely love it...it drives so smooth but powerful at the same time...i had also test drove a bmw before i got the infiniti and i guess u can see which one i liked better...go infiniti!
batman

United States

#22 Aug 15, 2008
get a life! BMW stands on its own hill and everyone looks up at him! its funny, rear stearing and a wider car. still cant beat the bimmer and i still wack my head on the back window of the G! you get what you pay for! half assed engineering!
batman

United States

#23 Aug 15, 2008
hey Kris! you couldnt afford the BMW! nobody believes you! LMFAO!
shawn

Mullica Hill, NJ

#24 Nov 16, 2008
my boy has a 650i an 06 man he goes to the dealer every other week bmw is trash i have an 07 m45 335 hp and i love it bmw are overated piece of shit lol sorry all ur bmw lovers the only thing about bmw is that they get more girls and handle a lil better than infinti around sharp corners but hey forget girls you buy a car to love it bmw=overated piece of shit the 7 series look like a boat bmw sucks and the idrive thing is the worst gadget in their cars the nav sucks everything about bmw is just plain wack to me i rather an infinti any day will get more of what you pay for
SMan

Spring, TX

#25 Jan 1, 2009
Guys, all of you need to get over yourselves. They are both just cars in the end.
I personally own a 2007 Infiniti M45. I have to say it has been a great car.
I also love the BMW's. Mainly the 550i, M5 and of course the M6! What's not to love about them...umm well...maybe the price.
I honestly cannot afford a 550i the way I would want it equipped. The price just gets out of control.
I just could not afford $82,000+ TT&L.
Looking between the BMW 550i and the Infiniti M45 was a tuff decision. I liked things about one car over the other. They were very comparable when well equipped. The performance of both were very close, but the BMW 550i did have a slight edge over the M45 due to the 550i having a 4.8L V8 rated at 360hp and the Infiniti M45 having a 4.5L V8 rated at 335hp.
Though in the end I had a budget of $60,000 to spend. The BMW unfortunately went $20K over that budget.
That was with options that were almost identical on both cars.
I drove the M45 out at $61,795.
The only option BMW gave me was to step down into the 3-series line. I declined of course.
So, I'm a happy owner of a very fast, sport car like handling, smooth riding, reliable car.
Maybe next time if I'm making more money, I will try and go for the BMW again. Though at the same time, if Infiniti keeps impressing me and improving their M45 platform, I will continue to save myself that additional $20K.

J
Mike

Thornhill, Canada

#26 Jan 11, 2009
As a Nissan/Infiniti Master Automotive Technician
who drives a BMW 5 series you can't even compare the two. I've been working on Nissan's for over 15 years and Bmw is far superior and the driving experience is unbelievable. The best all around performing Nissan to this day was the 1993/1994
240sx. That was the only car that came close to driving like a bmw. Cheers!
ACF

United States

#27 Mar 20, 2009
I found this tread through a Google search, cause I am currently a BMW owner, but am considering all option on my next vehicle.

I have a '97 328is e36 chasis. It handles exceptionally well, & still has plenty of kick in the engine 12 years later. The issue to me with BMW is maintainance cost. After it approached 100k miles, lots of NORMAL components needed replacing, but the cost was steep. Clutch-$1200, Alternator-$400, Ball Joints/Control Arms-$600, Radiator neck-$400, Thermostat-$200, Water Pump-$300. This is all in addition to the almost annual expense of brakes ($600 front & back), & tires ($500) for 225/50s.

I absolutely LOVE driving the Bimmer, but am contemplating trading off some of the driving appeal for reliability, & lower cost maintainance.

Thoughts, suggestions?
RLW

Naples, FL

#28 Jun 25, 2009
Interesting Post. I purchased a G37 about a month ago after spending about 6mths comparing between bimmers- 328, 335, 128 and 135. I was sure that I would come home with another BMW that isn't what happened. The BMW is a great car. I learned that the steering is different in the 1 series. The 128 was eliminated right away. It handled like a Toyota. The 135 was nice but it was nothing like the 3 series. The 328 was great. Both 3's had a heavy steering feel. The G had needle sharp steering, great power (335-like) quiet ride, unbeatable features all at about $10K less. I would rather have the reliabilty and $10K. There is no way that the cars differ that much. The Infiniti is fantastic for the price and is DEFINITELY giving BMW a run for the money. Maybe they will stop price gouging people. The only way they sell cars is the maintenance. People here dump them as fast as the warranty goes for they are $$$ to maintain. Also, when I shopped I also checked used ones. Honestly the turned in lease bimmers 2007 sounded like diesels. The valves rattled so bad at startup. The maintenance guy said that I could have the valves bled if I bought one under the warranty. These were cars with two years use and about 24-28K miles. This is an actual issue bulletin.
RLW

Naples, FL

#29 Jun 25, 2009
ACF wrote:
I found this tread through a Google search, cause I am currently a BMW owner, but am considering all option on my next vehicle.
I have a '97 328is e36 chasis. It handles exceptionally well, & still has plenty of kick in the engine 12 years later. The issue to me with BMW is maintainance cost. After it approached 100k miles, lots of NORMAL components needed replacing, but the cost was steep. Clutch-$1200, Alternator-$400, Ball Joints/Control Arms-$600, Radiator neck-$400, Thermostat-$200, Water Pump-$300. This is all in addition to the almost annual expense of brakes ($600 front & back), & tires ($500) for 225/50s.
I absolutely LOVE driving the Bimmer, but am contemplating trading off some of the driving appeal for reliability, & lower cost maintainance.
Thoughts, suggestions?
I owned a '96 bmw 328is and it was the same, great driver but high maintenance - mine started the money game the fourth year. I would suggest to you a G37 in either the sedan or coupe version. They are reliable, a heck of a lot cheaper and just as nice with more features. Mine is now a month old. I had a rattle at the back window that I fixed with a felt spacer but other than that it is a fantastic handling car with power and finesse.
robert

Timisoara, Romania

#30 Sep 15, 2009
Sammy Sapek@:you must be out of your mind you idiot.I saw the shit that you wrote and i need to say you made my day.I`m still laughing.let me tell you something about BMW:i live in Germany(FRANKFURT a.m.MAIN,Sachsenhausen)where you can find BMW`s at any street corner.I own a piece of shit like BMW M5,year 2001,(god damn how i hate this shit) and i always got truble with it.And i`m not the only one!!!!the only thing `bout this car is that is fast and it`s nice when it`s new.It has no reliability whit the time.I don`t need a car that can get speed but after 116000 km is using 3liters of oil for 1000 kilometers.My dad` had a Nissan Laurel 2.8 diesel 1988 and he was very pleased with it.Since he died, i drive his car,and check this shit out:it`s better than mine.A lot of people complain about German cars.If i could i would buy an infiniti right now but i don`t have the money for that because it`s very expensive.please before you talk shit like that do some researches first.go on a German forum or do somethin`,talk with them folks over there,they can tell you much more.Don`t forget, if you`ll do that you will be surprised what you gon` hear from the Germans.Germany,mother of BMW.What the fuck?
wow

United States

#31 Oct 16, 2009
wow...i'm convinced..... Infiniti/nissan/datsun kicks but and BMW is shitting bricks. hah ha. If BMW really was as good as they claim they wouldn't be wasting their time trying to bash on infiniti, they'd just know it. The fact that they get so EMOTIONAL only proves their insecurity.
G37 Decision

United States

#32 Dec 6, 2009
You've made an excellent decision, the bimmer just would have been towed or ended-up in limp mode. The G will give you all you need plus a reliable car. Don't even think a 335i is the ultimate machine...do a little research and you'll see the scenarios where the car fails miserably.
J Trulli

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#33 Jan 7, 2010
it is obvious that most people here cannot afford to drive a BMW (especially an M car) and are just making excuses. if you are looking for a car that you can drive until the doors fall off, stick to the japanese... BMW's are for a different income class than what i can see here (with a few exceptions, and those few people know who they are!). i have been driving japanese sports cars for years and only recently been able to afford a real BMW sports car (M3)... but i won't waste any more time trying to explain the differences... own one, drive it hard, and only then come back and post your opinion.
Big Bird

Orange Park, FL

#34 Mar 31, 2011
I have an 04, 545I, What a piece of SSSHHITT! This car has had nothing but oil leaks, coolant leaks, and transmission leaks. The car only has 80000.00 miles, I just cant believe all the problems. I also replaced the water pump not to long ago. F this car, Germans should stick to making great beer and leave car building to Detroit and Japan. I HATE MY BMW with a passion. What a disappointment. I used to think I got a lemon but then I read all the blog posts and found that these problems actually effected most owners at much earlier milage. To top is all off, I found that the Grill was designed after Hitler's Mustache, can this experience get any worse. I wish I still drove a Honda, after all the service manager at my local BMW drives one, maybe he knows the same thing I just discovered, "BMW's are total Pieces of SHIT!!!!!!!!:-
Big Bird

Orange Park, FL

#35 Mar 31, 2011
P.S. BMW's are PIECES OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!
Big Bird

Orange Park, FL

#36 Mar 31, 2011
J Trulli wrote:
it is obvious that most people here cannot afford to drive a BMW (especially an M car) and are just making excuses. if you are looking for a car that you can drive until the doors fall off, stick to the japanese... BMW's are for a different income class than what i can see here (with a few exceptions, and those few people know who they are!). i have been driving japanese sports cars for years and only recently been able to afford a real BMW sports car (M3)... but i won't waste any more time trying to explain the differences... own one, drive it hard, and only then come back and post your opinion.
just because a person has a lot of money doesn't mean they foolish enough to want to buy some hunk of shit and just keep throwing money down the hole. If a person is rich, most likely they made good decisions along the way. If a thing breaks down all the time, you can't call it a luxury, it's just a poor choice, no matter how much money a person may have. Quality should be equated to reliability and dependability, not short term pleasure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BMW M3 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BMW Fix for E46 M3 SMG problem (Jul '07) Mar 31 Ahmad 110
new M3 sedan and convertible spotted at BMWNA i... (Feb '08) Mar 22 posews 2
News BMW M3 simulator inside an actual BMW M3 (Jul '07) Mar 22 lurcus 3
News Mercedes' Latest High-Powered AMG Sedan Is 100%... (Sep '14) Sep '14 don 1
News General Motors Says Goodbye To One Of The BEST ... (May '14) May '14 e60 M5 e46 M3 1
News A new supercar is born (Mar '06) Oct '12 Mike Smithy 5
News BMW M3 vs. MB C63 AMG vs. Audi RS4 by Car and D... (Nov '07) Oct '12 CRAZYTONE 28
More from around the web