BMW and Infiniti duke it out over the letter "M"

Full story: Carscoop

These days, we see law suits galore and sometimes over the most menial things. But a law suit over the letter "M" might be going over board.
Comments
1 - 20 of 36 Comments Last updated Mar 31, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sammy Sapek

Kingston, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2007

Who cares Infiniti will never be on the same level as BMW.....Nissan cannot compete, thier new GTR is thier best hope........but it will always be a Nissan!!!!!!!
Chris Gonzalez

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

I think Infiniti is way better then BMW. BMW made themself along time along but their products are not reliable. The only reason why people purchase..excuse me lease is because they it's under warranty and maintenance is included at no charge. Japanesse cars in general are better quality and very reliable. There is no hiding the truth. You ask yourself that. You most be really dumb if you don't see the big picture. I've driven European and Japanesse and I got to say the 2007 G 35 S is hotter then flames. Thanks god I bought this instead of a BMW. It would have been a major mistake. For those who don't know Infiniti is already saling world wide. Sales are being taken alway from BMW that's why they are upset. Things are at the teeth. I know for a fact BMW is under pressure.
danny billincrek

Gardner, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

no bmw is a better car in every way except for reliability but the g35 is way better priced. which is the reason that infiniti is making more sales
jo jo

Berlin, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

here we go again folks.... how long has infinity oh i mean nissan been building cars????? and then how long has bmw been doin it, scratch that since when has bmw been using "M", ill let you know its before most of you were born. ive said it before in here butt ill remind you. bmw doesnt care about any ricer boy, implant engine jap car, that includes toyota, nissan and mazda. its funny how nissan can take an engine out of a decent car, the 350z, and put it in a sedan and call it a sports car is ridiculus. bmw has bigger fish to fry here in germany with their only real compition... mercades. long live BMW M series!!
mybimmerbaby

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

A agree with you jo jo, I'm a bmw enthusiast very very enthused by them and I appreciate their craft and the way the cars feel when I drive them. So, therefore... I dont' like how toyota nissan (namely, lexus and infiniti) are competing with more elbow grease than ever against the German MFGs who win hands down. Even in Germany, BMW wins over mercedes for the characteristics that an everyday car driver appreciates and loves. A bit expensive but people truly love these cars.
Sammy Sapek

Union City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2008

Chris Gonzalez wrote:
I think Infiniti is way better then BMW. BMW made themself along time along but their products are not reliable. The only reason why people purchase..excuse me lease is because they it's under warranty and maintenance is included at no charge. Japanesse cars in general are better quality and very reliable. There is no hiding the truth. You ask yourself that. You most be really dumb if you don't see the big picture. I've driven European and Japanesse and I got to say the 2007 G 35 S is hotter then flames. Thanks god I bought this instead of a BMW. It would have been a major mistake. For those who don't know Infiniti is already saling world wide. Sales are being taken alway from BMW that's why they are upset. Things are at the teeth. I know for a fact BMW is under pressure.
You saying a G35 is going to compete with any M car just shows who stupid you are, the only reason you don't know that M cars are reliable and don't what they stand for is because you cannot afford one!!!!!!!!!!
Sammy Sapek

Union City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2008

Wow that guy with the G35 is a real idiot, the only reason he can't figure out that the M class is reliable is because like most HE CANNOT AFFORD ONE!!!!!!!!!! Stick with your jap crap!!!!!!!!

You cant hang with German engineering!!!
Andrew Polino

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

First of all.......If anyone even DREAMS about comparing an Infiniti to a BMW, namely a G37. You can automaticly assume that they have no experience with a true drivers car. I have personally driven the G37, and can tell everyone here that it is lacking in every departement that a true driving enthusiast look's for. Handles like a tractor! Not even a comparison by any standards. Poor Infiniti people.... Alway's trying to be optamistic about a car that has NO TRUE RACING HERITAGE!
Idontthinkso

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

I'm not sure how old you people are, but by the comments it's not looking good. As usual I see alot of vague comments and data ripped from the archives. Here is the bottom line from a BMW Lover. Currently I have a 2000 540I with 10K in mods. I love this car, and it had been a pleasurable and horrific experience. So here it is. If you want to spend 39K to 44k for a 335I go for it. They will suck you in with free maintenance. Once that maint. is done you might as well save an additional 200 a month. Infinity G35S or G37 from 31K to 36K, and lets face it reliability is great. If you are going to "drive" these cars The BMW is a better handling car (slightly) The overall feel of both is very comparable. When you drove the g37 you shouldn't of driven the X or Touring modle. That is not a fair comparison. If you want to go pound for pound. Choose the 335I with 0 options Vs. a G35S. If you actually give both cars a fair chance they are both excellent driving cars. Take them both up to 130 and you will see the truth. Also BMW lovers beware of the turbo. It gets hot, which does damage to the Engine. Wait to see in 2 years how many 335's will be in the shop. I love BMW's , and before any of you think "thats a dumb texan talking" I'm not I'm actually from N.Y. I used to work in Fishkill. Born and Raised.

Summary. To get a slightly better car (BMW) you will need to spend 6 to 9K more. Also save an additional 200.00 a month on top. Prepare yourself for the 40K mark. To get a car that is tad shy of the BMW (G35S) Spend it on a vacation, save it, or by a Songle stage turbo, an exhaust a chip, and a nice body kit. Heck throw in some tint, and a racing radiator. Or do what I may do. Buy the G35S, and save the 6 to 9k. Then take the 200.00 you need to save up for future maint costs, and in three years, and a nice 200 x 12 x 3 = 7200 + the 6 to 9k you saved initially, and put that down on a two year old Nissan Skyline. A 2 year old Skyline will cost about 40K take the 15K as a down, and get a load for 25K. So by not buying the BMW in three years you could drive a Skyline. If you have never driven one you should. There is no BMW that compares. Again I love and own a BMW, but it makes sense to save the money and get a better car.

Sometimes the truth hurts, and sometime reality sets in. Now I'm going to hit a buck fifty on the Dallas Tollway. All this car talk makes me want to own some people up.
Ravi

Rosedale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2008

Letís stick to the facts here. If you want to compare: apples go with apples, oranges in a different basket. BMW cars are in a different class from Nissan. It doesnít matter how you dress up a car and engrave fancy lettering. The engineering and handling speaks volumes. Driving a loaded BMW is like putting on a cape. You feel like a F1 driver Ėa true driving machine. Drove the Infiniti cars. Big engines, fast but lacks the finesse and handling of German engineering. When I drive my 335i coupe, its strange, many of the G35 & G37 coupes want to race. I wonder why. Inferiority complex? I never feel the need to pull up next to an Infiniti and race. I am confident about the car I drive. There is a reason why year after year, BMW cars are consistently listed as top of their respective class. Drive one, you will discover it!

“BOHICA”

Since: Jan 08

Suffield

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Let me tell you my experience with this so-called superior German engineering. I had a 98 540i with "S pkg" and all the toys. Price $63,000. Three years later after spending over $2000 at Der Furher dealership, trying to fix a stalling problem, I was told they do not know how to fix it and I sold the car.
I agree that on a dry road this was a true "Driver's Car." However, how can you alleged Bimmer owners say this is the ultimate driving machine when most BMW's are close to non-operable in snow or heavy rain situations? If you ever owned one, you know I'm right!
Since my experience with the 540, I've owned 4 G35's. 2- 2003's, a 2005 G35x and an 07 G35x. First and foremost, the VERY few times I ever returned for service, I didn't feel like an infidel as the BMW dealer made me feel like and the cars have been great.
PS - The reason BMW owners won't race an Infiniti is solely for the self-preservation of their egos.
Ravi

Rego Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2008

Like I said: apples and oranges go in separate baskets. This is my second BMW. My first car was a Nissan. Japanese cars are very nice and reliable. I owned a few. But letís keep it simple. They are in very different class. Japanese cars focus on bigger is better, i.e. engines, cabin space etc. However, letís get it clear. One cannot compare a Nissan to the handling and driving capabilities of a BMW. Kindly read prominent car reviews for references, or better yet, drive one. Some of us need a sobering reality check.
ohyeah

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2008

well i have both BMW and 2007 g35. my bmw has a lot of problems after the warranty. it is only 78000 miles. I like the sound of the engine from the bmw but the infiniti is more comfortable ride. i think the new nisssan skyline going to beat bmw M ....no comment....go nissan

“Drive safely...”

Since: Nov 07

Newport, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2008

I belive BMW had the "M" thing before, Infiniti...I mean, Nissan I mean...Datsun did.
walt

Asheboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2008

Does anyone know what updates will be made for the 2009 M45 and when it will possible go on sale.
Hopefully they will add a sixth gear for better fuel econ. and more horses under the hood, and some how make it were we can burn 87 or 89 gasoline instead of 93 high octane.
Sammy

Shoreham, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2008

Yes nissan I mean Datsun oops I mean Infiniti might be more reliable but I have a 2001 Bmw M3 that I have beaten to death for the last 6 years and it is reaching 100k and the only things that I have had to replace was brakes,clutch and tires. You have to really drive a M car (BMW M CAR) not the knock off nissan m's, to truly understand that going straight is not everything in a car, steering, handling and braking will help you more in the long run and know matter what anyone can say , it's more expensive , it is not reliable......the bottom line is BMW's are just better cars and you people will argue your points until your blue in the face....do any of you even underdstand the awards BMW has won over the last 20 years???? Most likely about 5 times Datsun!!!!LOL
lun-tai-0

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2008

Hello Nissan VQ V6 engine won top ten best engine from Wards for 14 yrs. in-a-row. No other engine does it. Hello where you at BMW. How many times the inline 6 from BMW won.....but shit the inline 6 is pretty cool.

Do u guys know that the new GTR from Nissan is rated 3.2 sec 0-60 from Edmunds. That a whole lot of shit for a AWD..4 Sec faster than the Posh...
BMW is better overall

Bellflower, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

The G37 is a great car and may be better value than the 335i, but after visiting a BMW dealership, compared to the Infiniti, they simple have much more to offer overall. Here in Los Angeles, if you drive a BMW or Mercedes they are considered more prestigious then the Infiniti cars. But the G37 is a great deal if you just get the base or Journey. Also the Bimmmers drive differently it's hard to explain. It's just different than a Japanese car. Unfortunately I only got to test drive the 335i and not the 335i sport (although did drive the G37S), but they are both great cars and I would be happy with either one. I'd say Infiniti if you like a sportier look (it also is much lower to the ground) and BMW if you want a more luxurious ride. The BMW interior does look much more plain compared to the Infiniti's though!!
indecisive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2008

i am in the market for the g35s or 335i but havent decided yet. still have to drive both. im a fan of bmw and nissan datsun or infiniti whatever you choose. but it seems that bmw guys are not giving enough credit to nissan and their skyline domination in the racing world. you know they did destroy the competition so bad that they had to quit racing because it was considered unfair. not to mention the new gtr which will take a turbo porsche. so all im saying is as a fan of both bmw guys should show a little respect.
ask yourself m5 vs gtr i think you know who wins the numbers and yea sorry its a nissan haha
Walter

Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2008

I am seeing a lot of emotion and very little facts. Infiniti has just as good a track record - if you know where to look - as Bimmer. I test drove Lexus ES-350, Audi A-6, Benz E-350, BMW 530i and Infiniti. I really enjoy the lines on the 530i but the doors sounds tinny. I now own a G35X, dollar for dollar the most bang for the buck. I know two Bimmer 5 Series owners with significant valve lifter noise issues not sufficiently addressed by the dealerships. Has anyone any information on this problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent BMW M3 Discussions

Search the BMW M3 Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
BMW Fix for E46 M3 SMG problem (Jul '07) Jul 1 Chawki 103
General Motors Says Goodbye To One Of The BEST ... May '14 e60 M5 e46 M3 1
A new supercar is born (Mar '06) Oct '12 Mike Smithy 5
BMW M3 vs. MB C63 AMG vs. Audi RS4 by Car and D... (Nov '07) Oct '12 CRAZYTONE 28
What Good Is a Halo Car Anyway? (Aug '12) Aug '12 Dodger 1
What Would You Buy? 2009 Carrera S Or BMW M3? (Jul '08) Aug '12 Lexx721 28
Comparison Test: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT vs. 2008 Do... (Feb '08) Jul '12 WTFwiththat 271
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••