Blown head gasket...
Stu Connall

Brockton, MA

#1 Aug 20, 2009
I was driving my 528i on the highway on a steamy hot day when all of a sudden I saw a puff of smoke (actually it was steam) and then noticed that my temp guage was pegged red. I stopped the car as soon as I could.

When AAA arrived they noticed that one of my radiator hoses had popped off causing all of the coolant to pour out. I suspected this when I checked my radiator level and notice that it was low and saw the water pouring out the front (near the water pump) when I tried to refill it.

I had the car towed to the mechanic that replaced the water pump and thermostat in December because I felt as if they had not securely fastened the hose with the metal clasp. I had only driven about 300 miles since Dec. I know it is a long time but I just can't seem to explain (and neither can the mechanic) why the radiator hose (which he stated was perfectly fine) would just all of a sudden pop off.

Would this then cause the engine to heat up and blow its head gasket?

The mechanic claimed (after he told me that the hose was fine) that the hose would have popped off immediately if it wasn't securely fastened. Is this true? Could the hose have been attached all the way, but the metal clasp not 100% secured causing it to pop off over time? Like I said, I drove the car about 300 miles since Dec. and in my eyes the only way that a perfectly good hose could pop off is if it wasn't securely fastened in the first place.

I don't think a blown head gasket would have done it. Also, when a head gasket blows, does water gush out of the engine? It seeps out, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BMW 528i Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1999 Bmw 528i sedan Oct '17 cardinalsman11 2
Extended Warranty on pre-owned or not to get one? (Mar '17) Mar '17 bimmer 1
News Hankook Tire is Original Equipment on BMW 5-Series (Sep '13) Sep '13 New BMW owner 1
instrument panel (Jul '13) Jul '13 David 1
BMW 528 ambient temperature sensor (Nov '07) May '13 John k 7
DTC warning light on 2008 528i (Jul '09) Jun '12 Linda 2
1999 528i (May '12) May '12 mike 1