BMW E46 325i problems starting in the...

BMW E46 325i problems starting in the morning or when left for a long time.

Posted in the BMW 325 Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Keith

Halstead, UK

#1 Mar 11, 2012
I have just started encountering problems with my BMW 325i (E46 model) 2003. When the car is left for a long period, or overnight it takes a lot of effort to get it to fire up. So far I have eventually managed to get it going. Spoke to someone who suggested it might be the FUEL PUMP, so had that replaced by a bmw dismantler. This morning problem is still evident.It sounds as though there is no fuel getting into the engine. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME THANKS.
john patrick

Milwaukee, WI

#2 Oct 3, 2012
your problem is your fuel regulator, what happens is the diaphram in the regulator gets worn and developes a tear and leaks fuel into the engines intake while the vehicle is shut off. the fuel injection system on your vehicle maintains 20-32psi of fuel pressure while the vehicle is shut off, this pressure is forcing the fuel past the regulator into your engines intake system because of the torn diaphram, so actually your problem is to much fuel rather than not enough. you are actually trying to start a flooded engine in the morning that is why it takes the extra effort to get the engine fired up in the morning. actually you should be experiencing the same problem after only 15 mins. or more between start ups, non the less, get that fuel regulator replaced, you'll thank me in the morning, every morning.
Keith Childs

Rochdale, UK

#3 Oct 4, 2012
Thanks for the information, I actually replaced the fuel pump & had the same situation. Eventually a BMW Technician that I know found that a relay behind the glovebox had scorched & burnt causing the problem. There are 3 relays in this area, so best to check all three. Thanks once again for the advise.
john patrick wrote:
your problem is your fuel regulator, what happens is the diaphram in the regulator gets worn and developes a tear and leaks fuel into the engines intake while the vehicle is shut off. the fuel injection system on your vehicle maintains 20-32psi of fuel pressure while the vehicle is shut off, this pressure is forcing the fuel past the regulator into your engines intake system because of the torn diaphram, so actually your problem is to much fuel rather than not enough. you are actually trying to start a flooded engine in the morning that is why it takes the extra effort to get the engine fired up in the morning. actually you should be experiencing the same problem after only 15 mins. or more between start ups, non the less, get that fuel regulator replaced, you'll thank me in the morning, every morning.
randall

South Africa

#4 Mar 13, 2013
I'm starting my bmw 325i e46 2003 model when I'm driving it just loose power
Ahmed

Ilford, UK

#5 Apr 7, 2013
Having problems starting my bmw m3 fuel pump changed but does not start any suggestions
Keith Childs

Romford, UK

#6 Apr 10, 2013
Ahmed wrote:
Having problems starting my bmw m3 fuel pump changed but does not start any suggestions
You may have the same problem that i encountered please see my post which states it could be a relay located behind the passenger side glove box. there are 3 in total. you should check the inside of all of these relays & see if 1 is scorched. This was my problem. I believe the new relay was about 18.00. Hope
this resolves your issue, Keith
dropshort105

Ireland

#7 Apr 17, 2013
Fuel pump relay, bmw will tell you that they don't fail, that is because the fix is too cheap for them to bother with, 10 quid part, 10 minutes to spare and a phillips scrwdriver and you are sorted.
DominicSA

Johannesburg, South Africa

#8 May 22, 2013
KC i have the same problem like yours on my 320i 2003 model, i will have my relay(s) checked before replacing the costly fuel pump,because my fuel pump hisses ... though am not so sure about its hissing sound,my friends 325ti hisses louder than mine
Yucy

Brampton, Canada

#9 Jun 11, 2013
So my car takes a long time to start up also. Will bring it to the mechanic to check the fuel regulator and the 3 relays in the passenger glovebox. Will post back.
Keith Childs

South Ockendon, UK

#10 Jun 12, 2013
Yucy wrote:
So my car takes a long time to start up also. Will bring it to the mechanic to check the fuel regulator and the 3 relays in the passenger glovebox. Will post back.
Just to let you know the relays are located behind the passenger glovebox and cannot be seen in the glovebox.
Theo

South Africa

#11 Jul 8, 2013
Hi, I'm driving a BMW 320D 2003, and are currently experiencing starter issues, the car stars fine in the mornings yet as I'm driving a lot throughout the day it seem then that when I switch it off and tries to start it again it can't, I can here a clicking sound on the starter but it simply doesn't turn. Any indfo on that will be appretiated thanks.
Keith Childs

South Ockendon, UK

#12 Jul 12, 2013
Suggest you check the relays as stated in my posts above,

Regards
Keith Childs
janaka

Park Orchards, Australia

#13 Jul 14, 2013
First check the throttle body b4 anything if it has dust in it the fuel pump doesn't work. Trust me been every were no 1 couldn't find the problem I cleaned the throttle body problem solved
clyde

South Africa

#14 Aug 11, 2013
i have a 2007 320i,when i start it start well,but there is a grinding sound after i have started,
dropshort105

Ireland

#15 Aug 13, 2013
Clyde, is the grinding sound like a Wookie from Starwars, if Chewbacca is moaning at you when you try to start its a dodgy fuel pump, it works but needs replacing, a good scrap yard should sort you out, 30 to 80 quid, very easy to change over, you don't even need to open you bonnet.
rene

Halden, Norway

#16 Aug 27, 2013
I have problem with starting . I can se when will start and when no. By the turning key into position 2 and all lights on instrument speedometer.fuel meter and etc. Comes up. Then it starting. But sometimes when i turn it into position 2 lights r off and starter dont work . While i can hear it tryin to start By clicking sound...anybody can help.me ???
alIan

Surabaya, Indonesia

#17 Nov 7, 2013
I HAVE HAD TROUBLE WITH MY BMW E46 323I FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS. START NO PROBLEM BUT AFTER DRIVING FOR ABOUT AN HOUR THE ENGINE WILL JUST STOP DEAD WHETHER DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY OR IN TRAFFIC.(SCARY). WILL NOT RUN AGAIN FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES THEN GOOD FOR ANOTHER HOUR.
SO AT BMW USING COMPUTER FAULT READ OUT IT SAID 'NO FAULT' SO I REQUESTED REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP. SO FAR SO GOOD.
ugur

Netherlands

#18 Nov 7, 2013
hey allan,

i had same problem on my 5 series. car just stops randomly and then i gotta wait 15-20 minutes in order to try to start again. Your problem could be sensor problems. If the computer doesn't read the sensors, it doesn't want to start since he thinks the engine is in danger.

Greetings.
KEITH

Luton, UK

#19 Nov 7, 2013
rene wrote:
I have problem with starting . I can se when will start and when no. By the turning key into position 2 and all lights on instrument speedometer.fuel meter and etc. Comes up. Then it starting. But sometimes when i turn it into position 2 lights r off and starter dont work . While i can hear it tryin to start By clicking sound...anybody can help.me ???
Hey Rene you need to read my problem above I had exactly the same issue. CHECK the Sensors they are very cheap.
alpina e46

Colton, CA

#20 Nov 10, 2013
Theo wrote:
Hi, I'm driving a BMW 320D 2003, and are currently experiencing starter issues, the car stars fine in the mornings yet as I'm driving a lot throughout the day it seem then that when I switch it off and tries to start it again it can't, I can here a clicking sound on the starter but it simply doesn't turn. Any indfo on that will be appretiated thanks.
Sounds like once your starter heats up....it wont turn anymore check voltage on starter when warm and if volts are there..change starter motor

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BMW 325 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 BMW 325i extreme chugging (Nov '16) Nov '16 beam 1
BMW 325i not starting (Sep '06) Sep '16 Clowehar1 32
bmw 3 series e43 2005 convertible (Jan '16) Jan '16 emmah1979 1
BMW 325 Headlight & Fog Light Bulb Replacement ... (Jul '11) Dec '15 Jamestheduke21 3
BMW 3 Series sport - post service problems (Nov '15) Nov '15 nikyonline 1
Brake Light (Nov '09) Oct '15 Bemerman 2
Help my car will not turn over (Sep '14) Oct '15 Bemerman 2
More from around the web