2001 audi a6 timing belt
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Bill

Galena, OH

#122 Sep 5, 2011
carguy wrote:
Save yourself the aggravation/expense....Buy a Chevrolet....
I have owned two different pieces of chevy and thats why i now only drive audi
Ron from Brooklyn

Brooklyn, NY

#123 Oct 3, 2011
I have a timing belt problem with my Audi A-6 2001.
The dealer informed me that the parts are not very expensive however, the labor is. The cost to perform the job is over $ 2000.00 which I find hard to believe and not sure what I should do. The car has
103,000 miles on it and we have had problems with the engine light being on which is related to another issue. The car is otherwise clean looking and I am not sure if it is worth the money to repair?
wally

Bedzin, Poland

#124 Dec 31, 2011
Should not exceed 60,000 miles. Timing belts recommend: http://cardrivebelts.com/list-of-car-brands/9...
MMJ

Minneapolis, MN

#125 Feb 4, 2012
Starting-with-2001-42-A6 wrote:
Hi Teddy,
any comments on timing belt replacement on my A 4.2?
<quoted text>
My 2000 A6 2.7t just broke the tensioner pulley but I'm pretty sure the PS pump is fine. Is it difficult to replace the tensioner pulley and belt only? Also how much time does it take to replace the ABS module?
Guri

Reno, NV

#126 Mar 14, 2012
i recommended to everyone don,t ever buy a AUDI its is the worst car ever. all the time have problems
germancardepot

Hollywood, FL

#127 Apr 5, 2012
Jim wrote:
They can be a little problematic, but I have learned to get regular checkups and maintenance, and IGNORE THE CHECK ENGINE. Spent about $600 on it and it came back within 3 weeks.
You should never ignore the check engine light on your Audi, specially after a major repair, if it came back on it means that something else is wrong or that the work wasn't properly done. The light is the only way for you to know when something is failing when it is not obvious. You should find a mechanic or a dealer alternative that you can trust, one that has a warranty on their work.
germancardepot

Hollywood, FL

#128 Apr 5, 2012
Matt wrote:
Hi,
Saw your post regarding Audi timing belt replacement. I just bought an
Allroad two weeks ago thinking the timing belt had been replaced. It has
but the guy only replaced the belt.....nothing else. Do I need to get it
done all over again? Will the tensioners break? I cant afford a engine
rebuild so I want to be very careful with it.
Whenever you buy a vehicle second hand, try to get all the info or copies of any prior work done so you know where you are standing. Depending on the millage of the car, you should do the timing belt over if you want to avoid major problems. Whenever the belt is done all the components such as tensioners and water pump should be changed too.
germancardepot

Hollywood, FL

#129 Apr 5, 2012
basspimp wrote:
i want to buy a audi 2oo1 it has 116000 on it from a used lot and they dont know if the belt has been changed or not how do i find out
If the belt looks worn, definitely do it. The best way is to ask the seller if it has been done, also ask for prof if they have it available (invoices from the dealer, etc). With that many miles on the Audi you should do it anyway(in case you can't find out) just in case, a couple hundred dollars could save you thousands in major repair if the belt breaks.
Vincent

Houston, TX

#130 Aug 29, 2012
I got my 01 audi a6 timing belt and drive belt changed on June when it hit 70000, just wanted to keep peace in mind. now it hits 75000 and car runs very smooth. rubber gets worn by age so I definitely wouldn't take risk to 105000, which in audi's manual.
joeeA6

Dartmouth, Canada

#131 Jan 12, 2013
im facing an issue with my 2001 a6 not starting...the battery and alt are brand new. i guy told me it was likely a timing belt issue and would cost close to 3000 dollars to fix. i had a VW passat need a timing belt and it would turnover when i tried to start it. my Audi turns over slowly as if it cant get a spark to ignite the engine.
any info as to what alternative issue i may be facing???? i have noticed that the audi mechanics at the audi place are pirates and liars.
and yea 2001 a6 is nothing but a heap of electrical issues, sunroof sticks, windows work one day and not the next..
chuck of Ottawa Canada

Chibougamau, Canada

#132 Feb 10, 2013
I have 2002 with 2.8 and 165000 miles/300000km and still have not done timing belt.Front cover was off for vacuum leak lately and no cracks were found in the back of the belt, will replace if I find cracks, I believe audi takes advantage of people no more than any other.
leadalpa4

Wantagh, NY

#133 Mar 20, 2013
I bought an '04 2.7T Quattro with 167,000 in February 2013. It is truly spotless. I drove from the dealer to my mechanic to have him change the timing belt and ALL the fluids, plus whatever he saw. The Audi dealer standard labor(only) for a timing belt(only) replacement is $2,500. Here is my bill: All fluids plus transmission pan gasket&filter-420.00
Timing Belt, belt damper, belt tensioner, belt roller, water pump-636.00
Auxillary Water pump w/hoses-264.00
Thermostat-50.00
Accessory Belt tensioner, Serpentine belt, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal- 281.00

Total [email protected]= 1650.00
Labor= 1,200.00

The A6 is a "performance car". Performance engines run at a higher 'vibration'. As a result they DEMAND more attention to maintenance. Period. Is it worth driving a "performance car" versus a "family car"? ONLY if YOU can notice the difference in how both of those classes of car, feels. Simple.

jack rydel gr mi

Linden, MI

#134 May 14, 2015
I have a 2001 2.7 a6. Car has been amazing. Timing belt was done at 65k. I just hit 150k a few days ago. Timing belt, along with all that other shit, will be done in the next month or two. Only other problem with car is valve cover gasket leak. I'm getting them both done for under $1500.
Sean

Brooklyn, NY

#135 Oct 19, 2015
Teddy wrote:
I strongly suggest replacing the timing belt at 70 to 75k mile. only because those timing belts tend to break in the 80k+ mile area. And you go from spending $1,500-$2,300 to needing a New Cylinder head or heads whick can easily bring you into the $4,000+ price range. Now before everyone attacks me, I am an Audi tech. When you replace the timing belt, you should always replace the timing belt idle pulley, tensioner pulley, water pump (because if you replaced the water pump later, you need to remove the timing belt, so this is more cost efficient) and serpentine belt if it hasn't already been replaced. One more thing, I love the 2.7 liters, I think they are great motors, I do see the turbo's go out every once in a while which causes a lot of smoke to come out the exhaust (which is the oil burning throught the exhaust) and the auxiliary coolant pump leaks from under the intake manifold, but they are nice motors. Remember gentlemen, an Audi is a Luxury Sport car and if you want cheap, go buy a Honda.
I was curious since your a tech what else should be changed early to keep these cars running reliable and to make sure they don't just break completely
First time audio buyet

Elmira, NY

#136 Feb 17, 2016
2004 a6 2.7 liter slide timing belt was changed at 115000 it's at 149000 how long before it needs to be changed again
Dumptruck

Fort Wayne, IN

#137 Feb 23, 2017
TAGTA wrote:
Can you anyone tell me when I should do the timing belt on my 2001 Audi A6? I have heard the timing belt should be done between the following mileage range: 75000-10500.

What is correct? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Sayyyyy what shorty loud and clear... I just so happen to like you more then I reckon brothers and sisters should like one another

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Audi A6 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2000 A6 AC fan running on high all the time (Aug '06) Jul '17 Terry 12
Audi A6 Engine Codes Do not Match on Foxwell NT... (May '16) May '16 lanrce 1
Audi A6 2.0L Tdi Se - Bluetooth Phone Connection (Jan '07) Dec '15 Rids786 19
News VW Troubles Could Become Audi And Porsche Problems (Sep '15) Sep '15 GermanCarDepot 1
Audi lease (Feb '07) Apr '15 NieshaWendell20 3
News Audi previews Prologue Avant concept before Gen... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Solarman 1
News Audi cranks up power to 48 volts (Aug '14) Aug '14 Solarman 1
More from around the web