Oil problems in 2007 Audi A4's with 2...
BMyers

Philadelphia, PA

#166 Feb 22, 2012
2008 A3 w/ the 2.0T. I have 42,000 miles on the car and burn about a quart every 2,000 miles. I just completed the second phase of the 2 part consumption test and they are recommending replacement of the piston rings. Is this a necessary repair? On the one hand they are saying the oil consumption is 'normal' and the ring replacement is a 'courtesy', but when does Audi pick up such an expensive repair as a courtesy? What are they not telling me about the long term well being of my vehicle?
KHeaton

Alexandria, VA

#167 Feb 27, 2012
katherine nc wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. It's just so frustrating that this is how Audi is handling these complaints. Denial. Power in numbers so if anyone has an idea how to present this to Audi, I'm in. The other problem I have with my turbo a4 is the hesitation issue when accelerating quickly. That could be a danger. I'm wondering if anyone else has this?
Not sure if you ever got resolution but I am experiencing the acceleration hesitation even after replacing many parts $2600 in fact and having my oil run out every 1000 miles with the constant check engine light also coming back on to no avail. Anyone have any new news in regard?
Ibis B7

Peabody, MA

#168 Feb 28, 2012
BMyers wrote:
2008 A3 w/ the 2.0T. I have 42,000 miles on the car and burn about a quart every 2,000 miles. I just completed the second phase of the 2 part consumption test and they are recommending replacement of the piston rings. Is this a necessary repair? On the one hand they are saying the oil consumption is 'normal' and the ring replacement is a 'courtesy', but when does Audi pick up such an expensive repair as a courtesy? What are they not telling me about the long term well being of my vehicle?
My car went in Monday for the same issue. They are replacing the cylinder heads, piston rings, and breather valve. They tell me this should fix the issue. All I know is if the car burns oil after this I'm selling the car this year. Let me know how your repair works out. I'll post an update on mine after I get it back
R McEntyre

Kennesaw, GA

#169 Mar 12, 2012
I am having the same issue with my Audi A4 Turbo 2.oT. I take it to the dealer and they say that it is normal for the car to use this amount of oil. I have never heard about this before and I was not told about this problem when I purchased the certified pre-owwned vehicle. Audi needs to make this right. Has anyone legally done anything that can help? I noticed that one person had their engine replaced. Is this an option as I am about to come up on my 50K where the car will not be covered after that. Help!
Will

Washington, DC

#170 Mar 12, 2012
Add me to the list.

We bought a 2000 A4 2.0T brand new and have recently been adding a quart of synthetic oil every 3,000 miles. I had this looked at at the 25,000 mile checkup and will do this again before we reach 45K miles at which point the warranty expires. We drive the car 8,000 miles a year, mostly highway miles. I've never had an oil problem like this except with used cars with high mileage. Reading about other owners having the same issue is burning me up. Will report this to Consumer Reports. It was based on their rating that I was convinced to buy the car.
Skier W

Artesia, CA

#171 Mar 12, 2012
I have an Audi A4 Quattro wagon same problem. Major oil burner. They never warned me when I leased the car at Santa Monica Audi. Every 900 miles a quart of oil I have to put in myself. It's always an irritant for me. Never heard of such a thing? Welcome to the Audi A4 and the dealers at Santa Monica Audi really don't care or have a solution other than getting you in another Audi. Looking forward to getting out of this car. I had a 2006 A4 Sedan and LOVED it. The higher level car is a money pit and oil burner. Save your money.
oldmxer

Westlake, OH

#172 Mar 13, 2012
KHeaton wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if you ever got resolution but I am experiencing the acceleration hesitation even after replacing many parts $2600 in fact and having my oil run out every 1000 miles with the constant check engine light also coming back on to no avail. Anyone have any new news in regard?
They all have this hesitation. That was the only thing consumer reports mentioned BEFORE I bought the car, but it seemed to be a minor issue.
oldmxer

Westlake, OH

#173 Mar 13, 2012
See my posts from 10/21/11, 1/30/12, 2/18/12, and 2/22/12 to be enlightend on the real cause of the oil burning problem.
Kelly - Greensboro NC

San Jose, CA

#174 Mar 14, 2012
I have a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T. It currently has 82K on it. On March 8th the oil pressure light came on and was flashing. I was a block from home and drove it there. I checked the oil and it was fine. Drove the car around the block and the light did not come on. I immediately called the Audi dealership. The said to bring it in and I did. They ran diagnostics which showed no registered codes. They did a full exam of the car and found NOTHING. 4 days later the engine blew. Now they want to charge me a minimum of $7000. Although it will not end there. That price does not include replaement of the camshaft which they believe it to be. I am absolutely sick about this. No codes - drove it away and 4 days later I am working on 10K in repairs to rebuild an engine that has 82K on it. I surely do not have that kind of money and no way of getting it. I am at a loss. I read that audi settled on a class action case in 2010 for '97 thru 04 cars for sludge in the oil which causes the same damage but I am not aware of any issues with the 06's. if anyone can offer any advice i would greatly appreciate it. Without this car I will lose my job and place to live. i have had this car since 05 when i purchased it new for 40K. I have taken care of it like a child because i needed it to last and now i am left with a carpayment and no car and no way of getting a new one. i could just cry.
gleil 99

Trenton, NJ

#175 Mar 14, 2012
Audi issued a warranty extension for intake cam shaft, camshaft follower and fuel pump on certain 2005-2007 2 liter engines. 10 yrs and 120,000 mi. there was no warranty extension number.
neil hud

London, UK

#176 Mar 21, 2012
A4 2007 2.0T same as so many
oil oil oil bought from a uk audi aproved dealer
used 3 ltrs in 2000 miles dealer did 2 part oil test.Audi advised replace piston rings.ended up replaceing the block £8000 repair.feel sory for the warranty company.fingers crossed
Kelly - Greensboro NC

Agawam, MA

#177 Mar 22, 2012
Audi of America would not help me at all. However, the dealership has just advised that they will drop the price to repair to 4000 instead of 8000. Very very nice of them. It may have had something to do with me speaking to the General Manager expressing my feelings about Audi. Particularly that this is my thrid Audi and I would never buy one again and that it was no surprise to me that Hundyai was taking over sales! I am guessing they feel responsible for not catching the problem during the diagnostic three days previous.
In regards to the repairs, all damage was to the upper engine - cylinder head. The service manager said that my engine is very clean and the car is in very good condition. They are guarenteeing their work for 1year or 12K miles.
Hoping it all works out and I dont find myself back here telling you all about the next repair bill. Wish me luck!!!
gman

New York, NY

#178 Mar 23, 2012
Leasing and Audi A4 2009 with 26,000 miles. Dealer finally performed second oil consumption test and ordered pistons and rings on March 8, 2011. Still not fixed. Audi of America trying to hold on to dear life and not recall the A4's with the obvious oil consumption issue.

Never leasing another Audi again. Disappointed with Dealer and their customer relations personnel who are not stepping up to the plate.
BMyers

Raleigh, NC

#179 Mar 28, 2012
Car went in to have piston rings replaced 3 weeks ago per audi recommendation for excessive (yet still considered normal by audi) oil consumption. while tearing the motor apart they found the crank shaft was wearing. They ended up putting a new motor in the car at audi's expense (crank shaft was 4 month backorder, engine was on a shelf somewhere). Not sure if the wear is related to oil consumption. their thoughts were a metal shaving caused the wear. Car was running well after the new motor but throwing tons of codes and is now back in the shop for diagnosis. The fun continues...
Amra MIchigan

Roseville, MI

#180 Apr 6, 2012
I have a 2007 a4 2.0T. The car is burning oil since 40k miles. My car now has 100k miles. I had the oil consumption test and they told me it's normal. I find it very wrong. Before it use to burn oil after every 8000 miles now every 800 miles. I have paid for the car 44k and now I can throw it to the garbage. I am a woman and feel like I have to become a mechanic. I am every wk at the gas station adding oil and waiting for the turbo to die. This is my first and last Audi. Do not buy an Audi ever. I love german engeneers but this one dissapointed me a lot.
Arty

Fenton, MO

#181 Apr 17, 2012
Just got the news I'm relplacing the piston rings this week. My Audi guy said Audi is paying half so my cost is 1600. How is this not a recall or warranty issue. 72k miles 3.5 years old. Audi A4 2.0T this Sux. I will be complaining for sure. I was adding 1 quart per 500 miles. What the heck.
WWB

Avon Lake, OH

#182 Apr 23, 2012
We have an '07 A-3 2.0T. From the start the car burned about a quart/1000 miles. Audi dealer insidted consumption of as much as 1 quart/800 miles qualified as "normal" Our 2005 A-4 2.0T doesn't burn a quart in 10,000 miles. Strongly recommend against buying an Audi (or a VW 2.0T) until they come out of denial and act responsibly.
Kelly - Greensboro NC

Agawam, MA

#183 Apr 23, 2012
I had metal shavings in my engine too. they could not figure out where they came from!!!

I wish there was something we could do to have them admit to the issues with the cars. for now I am out 5K.
BMyers wrote:
Car went in to have piston rings replaced 3 weeks ago per audi recommendation for excessive (yet still considered normal by audi) oil consumption. while tearing the motor apart they found the crank shaft was wearing. They ended up putting a new motor in the car at audi's expense (crank shaft was 4 month backorder, engine was on a shelf somewhere). Not sure if the wear is related to oil consumption. their thoughts were a metal shaving caused the wear. Car was running well after the new motor but throwing tons of codes and is now back in the shop for diagnosis. The fun continues...
Kelly - Greensboro NC

Agawam, MA

#184 Apr 23, 2012
Is there anything that we can do as a whole about this issue??
kuga

South Africa

#185 May 12, 2012
I have an older A4 2litre 2001, burning smell and oil 1litre every 500-600km. I want to try and use 10w40 oil only and also in two weeks time will change the rings. It never used to have this burning smell but its bad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Audi A4 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
EPC and ESP Problems (Feb '07) 9 hr Otty 65
A4 Owners Manual Download (Feb '06) May '16 Blessed 291
How to replace brakelights on a 06 audi A4 ? May '16 nokedly2 1
triptronic Apr '16 Audi owner 1
News Why Tesla's Model 3 should frighten Audi, Merce... Apr '16 Tesla Man 3
News What Secrets Are Behind Tesla's Model 3? Bloomb... Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Tesla's Model 3 Is Being Unveiled This Week -- ... Mar '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web