Oil problems in 2007 Audi A4's with 2...
Gary

Wharton, NJ

#228 Jan 22, 2013
I have a 2007 audi a4 and when I start it it smell like gas and oil and my tips are so black I filled my car a day ago and didn't even drive 40 miles and I on 3/8 of a tank of gas and its has oil comming out of the turbo where I put a forge blow off valve spacer I will never buy a audi every again
Wifes_A4

Bernardsville, NJ

#229 Feb 7, 2013
My wife bought a CPO 2007 A4 2.0 Turbo with 6,900 mi. on it in Feb.'09. Car always used a quart every 1500-1800 mi. Most people do not know that when dipstick is all the down, it only needs 1 qt. Found that out after adding 2 and had dealer drain it. Now, with 51,000 mi. and warranty out in 3/13, I check several Audi forums and found consumption problem is worldwide, and multi year, multi make (VW also, same engine).Some of the issue is batches of parts (ring) from suupplier. The problem is large enough to seriously damage the parent company's financial strength. Much like GM and the "C" cars of 1980 (citation, olds omega) there is an Audi "unpublished" repair program going on. The two part oil test,(Audi will not share the results wit the customer) is somewhat arbitrary in terms of how the dealer responds. The more the customer knows about the worldwide problem, and politely informs the service manager, with copies from the forums, the more likely one is to obtain at least a ring job. I have read of ring jobs, top end jobs, and whole engine replacements. Some under warranty, some after. Some as "a courtesy", some painfully paid for by the customer. It is only a matter of time before a class action suit is filed, as Toyota recently paid $1.5 Billion related to surging acceleration and "lost resale value". However, waiting for for a lawsuit to save you is being a victim, and the lawyers make more than anyone, so here is some advice. A) Track your oil consumption B)get informed from various Audi-related forums, C) be your own informed advocate, D) think creatively. My wife and her colleagues with the same car all expierienced similar oil consumption. Once I read that a very expensive ring job (at the least) would inevitably be required far sooner than justified (though sometime in the future, say, 80-100m miles), I went to our very friendly (upscale town) dealer. The agreed to do the second test, where they change the oil, weigh what they put in, and then weight what comes out after 600mi or 1000km (or anything less than 1,0000 mi, said the service mgr). Hypothetically speaking, if one had a oil change vacum (goes down the oil dipstick tube and draws out oil, about $50), one could ensure that one's car failed the test, hopefully gaining at least a ring job.(more if the consumption is 1qt per 500m, but then the warning light would come on before the test was complete). Assuming, of course, one is under warranty at the time. In about 800 mi., my wife's A4 was down to the "needs oil now" part of the dipstick, i.e., it had used at least a quart in <900 mi.(that's the threshold for warranty repair work). The dealer said "the car passed the test" (really? how?)"but Audi approved a piston ring job for your car."(another case of an $8,000 "courtesy repair", I think not, I had discussed the worldwide issue with him in a friendly manner on earlier visits, so he knew that I knew the potential legal liability for Audi) Note of advice and caution. The larger the dealer, the more likely they are to be cooperative. One reason is they probably have a mechanic on site that does nothing but serious engine work. That makes a big difference as to how much of a hassle it is for them to get the job done, and done well. So pick your dealer well. For those of you out of warranty, I'd recomend collecting all the info you can and filing a pro-se (no lawyer) claim against Audi of America in Small Claims court for the max $ in your state, whether that be $3 grand or $15. If carefully filed, and accepted by the court, it will cost Audi more to send a lawyer and anser the complaint than to just repair your car. Do your homework first though. Good luck.
Gleil99

Trenton, NJ

#230 Feb 7, 2013
Do an oil analysis and you will probably find fuel in it! I wonder what the environmental effect of all this synthetic lubricant is and what the affect on the catalytic converter is?
K White

Brooklyn, NY

#231 Feb 13, 2013
I have a 2007 Certified Pre-owned A4 Audi Cabriolet. I purchased it in 2010. It burns one quart of Synthetic Oil every 650-1,000 mi. Just imagine what it cost? What an unaticipated & unpleasant disappointment. An indescribable huge expense. My warranty expires in March of 2013. I only have 36,000 miles on the Vehicle, I absolutely loved it when I brought it until I discovered this major problem. The local delater as well as Audi of America told me that the oil consumption rate is within their specifications yet, there is no information in the Driver's Manual denoting this problem. Nor did the Benier Audi Salesman where i purchased the vehicle tell me any of this. I had the same problem with a 2000 brand new Volkswagon Jetta. I thought it was just an isolated misfortune. Come to find out it is Audi/Volkswagon's practice with certain makes. It should be illegal for them to get away with this. Unfortunately, I gotta again cut my loses & move on. I don't want anything else to do with audi or Volkswagon ever again. The government or a good lawyer should intervene. I pray!
oldmxer

Westlake, OH

#232 Feb 16, 2013
After having the rings done under warranty last year (with 16,000 miles on it) on my wife's 2007 A4 2.0T I recently checked the oil and found it a full quart low after 2700 miles. This is better than the previous 800 miles per quart but still not acceptable. I took it to the dealer for them to verify the low oil level, add a quart (n/c) and document the loss. I Guarantee the next oil analysis I have done will show excessive fuel in the oil again, as it has on every analysis done. I'm trying to talk her into selling it before it gets worse or the turbo goes, etc. Audi should be ashamed to use the slogan "Truth in Engineering". What a joke. NEVER buy an Audi or VW, PERIOD!!
Bonyo

North Charleston, SC

#234 Feb 22, 2013
Same story here. This is my 5th Audi and first one with such a problem. Apart from water drainage issues and oil consumption the car is awesome. My car is 2008 model A4. Audi did the oil test and after some hustling they started the repairs. First they did change valve gasket I think because of a crack. Then they changed the piston rings. That actually worked but just for the first 10k miles. After that slowly everything came back to where it was- 1qt every 1800 mile. I am in process of a second consumption test as the car originally was repaired while it was in warranty.

P.S. not to forget the PCV valve that was changed 3 time. The last edition seems to be handling better and no issues so far but here is still time- every 2 years I had to go for warranty repair for the PCV valve.

I really do hope of getting a new engine as this is I think the only solution for me.
Erik

Seymour, CT

#235 May 19, 2013
Purchased 2007 A4 2.0T quattro find oil in the spark plugs plus had to change coil pack was told to use moble 1 only any ideas how oil ends up in the spark plug well valve gasket? Ring seals? Turbo??
karen

Mentor, OH

#236 May 24, 2013
I bought a pre owned 2007 A4 , four yrs ago. It now has 80,000 miles. I have faithfully changed the oil and added oil as need. While travelling oil pressure light came on. Had car towed to the local Audi dealership who determined due to lack of maintenance I need a new engine to the cost of $10,000. I have provided Audi with maintenance records and they refuse to help with this repair. The dealer is 600 miles from my home. Audi customer relations said it is the dealers responsibility to work with me. Any suggestions? I have a loaner car from the dealer and have been trying to get some assisance from Audi. My car is fixed and ready for me to pick up in TN.
Reggie

Pittsburgh, PA

#237 Jun 15, 2013
I had same common problem , every 1k got add 1 qt this is insane and the dealer told me there was no rescaling on this engine
Tony

Westminster, CA

#238 Jul 17, 2013
I have a 2007 Audi A4 and have to add a quart every month
This is not acceptable and not expected from a German can
I think it is apiece of shit and they should issue a recall on that model
Ralph Nader where are you ......
RW Canada

Edmonton, Canada

#239 Aug 14, 2013
Same problem with my 07 Audi a4. My turbo just blew again for the 3rd time in less than 50,000km. I know a class action lawsuit was filed and won against Audi for the 97-04 models. I've had it with mine and will be seeking legal guidance for class action in Canada right away.
http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settle... -#
Kelly - Cary NC

Agawam, MA

#240 Aug 15, 2013
My engine light came on around 80K as well. I took it to the dealership and they ran a diagnostic and sent me home. Said nothing came up. Drove the car 100 miles and 2 days later my husband dropped me off at the airport and when he returned to the 4 lane highway the engine light started flashing and the engine completely ceased. He had it towed to the dealership and they advised that the engine blew and that there was metal chips in the oil pan. They advised that the cost would be 10000! AUDI Customer Service WOULD NOT HELP! I was quite upset since the car was there just a few days before. I worked with the dealership. They replaced the engine for parts only at 5K - they never figured out what the problem was but 'hoped' that this would solve the problem. 1 year later my car is not running. It starts but will not stay running. Engine light is on again. I will have to have it towed back to the dealership AGAIN. Unbelieveable that one year later I could be facing the same issues. I am so upset! Can't beleive I spent 42K on this car. Audi's commitment has fallen. I will NEVER purchase another!
karen wrote:
I bought a pre owned 2007 A4 , four yrs ago. It now has 80,000 miles. I have faithfully changed the oil and added oil as need. While travelling oil pressure light came on. Had car towed to the local Audi dealership who determined due to lack of maintenance I need a new engine to the cost of $10,000. I have provided Audi with maintenance records and they refuse to help with this repair. The dealer is 600 miles from my home. Audi customer relations said it is the dealers responsibility to work with me. Any suggestions? I have a loaner car from the dealer and have been trying to get some assisance from Audi. My car is fixed and ready for me to pick up in TN.
G2K Auto

Chandler, AZ

#241 Aug 31, 2013
The oil consumption is normal for FSI engines. Regardless of this "having to add oil" the engine is solid. I would rather add oil over any other issue.

-If anyone reading this would like to upgrade their PVC system or further understand how this type of engine works before wasting any money, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
-We have several options for you!
Anonymous

Lafayette, IN

#242 Sep 1, 2013
Good morning, all. I am new to the forum. (Author acnowledges shyly the thunderous welcoming applause). But seriously, I won't take too much of everybody's time, but I just want to add my name to the many that have posted about oil consumption problems with the Audi A4 2010 two liter engine. No oil consumption first 50,000 miles. I am now at 75,000 miles. Between 65 thou and 75 thou, had to add 3 quarts, and at the time of the oil change, it was down a quart, so while I had added only three quarts, it in fact had burned four. I am now just turning 76,000 and the indicator is down 2/3, so it would appear I am on my way to burning a quart every 2,500 miles, which corresponds to the consumption the last 10,000. So that is my ten cents. Thanks all.
KJM

Philadelphia, PA

#243 Sep 4, 2013
Lisa wrote:
WE as consumers need to get a lawyer and file a class action law suit against Audi!!
Lisa I see your in the Allentown area, I assume you go to Knopf for service etc? I am from Philly and go there as well, I wanted to see what problems you have had etc Can you email me ? [email protected] . Thanks!
andy

Birmingham, AL

#244 Sep 17, 2013
karen wrote:
karen,
i am currently experiencing everything you wrote about. bought a 2007 a4 in 2009. Have had all servicing done at an audi dealer, my oil pressure light came on while on the interstate. towed it into audi dealership where all of my servicing has benn done. engine is blown they say. I am at a huge loss as what to do next????
andy flemming

Birmingham, AL

#245 Sep 17, 2013
when ever a class action law suit against audi is started...let me be the first to sign up.
andy

Birmingham, AL

#246 Sep 18, 2013
i didnt know that posts could not be deleted(edited) until after i posted them. really, the truth is i needed to vent.
life comes at you----duck!
Kelly - Cary NC

Agawam, MA

#247 Sep 24, 2013
New update on my 'Lemon' otherwise noted as a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T. Engine and timing belt replaced in March of 2013 (posted about these issues already). My car has once again died. This time an additionally $3400! Thermostat PLUS they are telling me that because the termostat hadnt been replaced that the timing belt needs to be replaced again! That is nearly 10K in a year and a half in repairs. NEVER AGAIN will I purchse an Audi. I truly wish someone-somehow could start a class action suit against Audi.
Lina

Tualatin, OR

#248 Oct 4, 2013
Hi, I have an Audi A3 that has been giving me oil issues for a long time. Every time I accelerate a big cloud of white smoke comes out. The exhaust pipes are black but the smoke is white. I've brought it in to so many times and fixed so many problems but still they don't know what it is. It's a Audi A3 2007 and I've already paid so much money for the 'problem'. My service guy told me today that it might be the piston rings not sealing and it will cost around $2K to fix! Jeeez, I've already paid $3K. Any suggestions? I need to sell I think.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Audi A4 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
EPC and ESP Problems (Feb '07) Jul 6 Paul 67
A4 Owners Manual Download (Feb '06) May '16 Blessed 291
How to replace brakelights on a 06 audi A4 ? May '16 nokedly2 1
triptronic Apr '16 Audi owner 1
News Why Tesla's Model 3 should frighten Audi, Merce... Apr '16 Tesla Man 3
News What Secrets Are Behind Tesla's Model 3? Bloomb... Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Tesla's Model 3 Is Being Unveiled This Week -- ... Mar '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web