Oil problems in 2007 Audi A4's with 2...

Oil problems in 2007 Audi A4's with 2T engines.

Posted in the Audi A4 Forum

First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Since: Feb 09

Thompson, Canada

#1 Feb 4, 2009
I traded my 2005 A4 1.8T in 2007. Never had an oil problem during its 85,000 klms. 95% highway driver. I then got a new 2007 Audi 2T Avant. I have had oil problems since the get go. Received the same feed back from Audi and their dealers as others have had on this forum. Some posts talk about a defective seal in the turbo but no confirmation if that was/is the problem. I have not noticed any performance related issues that you might expect with a seal problem. I now have 42,000 klms or 25,000 miles. I use about 1 litre every 3,000 klms or 1,800 miles. When the car was newer it was every 5,000 klms or 3,000 miles. Every time dealer does oil change they report - no leaks in the system. Has anyone received any lasting satisfaction from Audi or a dealer in Canada, the US, Europe, or anywhere? I like the car in every other respect, but this is not the kind of problem you expect in a $60,000 luxury vehicle. Who else do you know that carries extra litres of synthetic oil in their upscale cars?
Juliet

Cambridge, UK

#2 Feb 5, 2009

Since: Feb 09

Thompson, Canada

#3 Feb 5, 2009
Juliet wrote:
I did not see anything related to oil use.
Lee

Ludlow, MA

#4 Mar 11, 2009
I have a Audi 2007 A4 turbo 2.0 sedan and I have the same problem. Approximately, every 3,00 miles the add min. oil light comes on. I keep synthetic oil in my trunk. I owned a 2004 Audi same model and did not have this problem. I am hoping that the Audi manufacturers do some thing about this.
ATX

Austin, TX

#5 Mar 13, 2009
Alan 007 wrote:
I traded my 2005 A4 1.8T in 2007. Never had an oil problem during its 85,000 klms. 95% highway driver. I then got a new 2007 Audi 2T Avant. I have had oil problems since the get go. Received the same feed back from Audi and their dealers as others have had on this forum. Some posts talk about a defective seal in the turbo but no confirmation if that was/is the problem. I have not noticed any performance related issues that you might expect with a seal problem. I now have 42,000 klms or 25,000 miles. I use about 1 litre every 3,000 klms or 1,800 miles. When the car was newer it was every 5,000 klms or 3,000 miles. Every time dealer does oil change they report - no leaks in the system. Has anyone received any lasting satisfaction from Audi or a dealer in Canada, the US, Europe, or anywhere? I like the car in every other respect, but this is not the kind of problem you expect in a $60,000 luxury vehicle. Who else do you know that carries extra litres of synthetic oil in their upscale cars?
I experienced the same exact issue with my 2007 Audi A4 and after two years, the Audi dealership in Austin, TX replaced the entire engine due to this oil problem. I love the car, but not sure how reliable it will be in the long-run. I like German cars, so more than likely I will look at the BMWs as a next car.
DavidM

San Francisco, CA

#6 Mar 26, 2009
I have not seen any oil issues with my 2007 A4. Maybe I'm lucky. I'm only adding a quart 10,000 miles. I've got 23k on the car curently.
Jan

Houston, TX

#7 Mar 31, 2009
Favorite car turned bust! Always wanted an Audi since 1998, but bought Honda accord instead. Would trade my 98 Honda Accord V6 any day for this car. I'm going on 22 months with my 07 A4. No problems in the beginning. Oil was lasting to each service. Now, having to add oil about every 4K miles. This is unacceptable for a luxury car. If I wanted to be under the hood before taking the car in for service, I would have become a mechanic. I'm experiencing the same issue with too frequent addition of oil and yes, I too Alan, ride around with a L of oil in my trunk just in case!
WhiteOak

Moseley, VA

#8 May 7, 2009
Have a 2007 A4 2.0T Sedan. Min oil warning came on every 1500 miles on the dot since I got the car so I added 1 quart of oil every time. That was my pattern until the 15k inspection (was actually done at 13k, one year after the 5k one) when I had the dealer check for oil issues. I got the low oil warning at 14,500, 16,000, 17,000 and now 17,800. I called my local Audi dealer again and was told that Audi actually publishes a "normal" oil consumption of 0.5 quarts per 600 miles for this engine. I think that's nuts. The service advisor told me today that 1 quart per 10,000 miles should be the norm which I think is still high.
Just got my car back today after having it looked at since 1 quart after 800 miles worried me. They could not find anything. They added dye to the oil and ask me come back in 2000 miles or when I get a low oil warning again. With the dye in the oil they hope to detect the suspected leak...the guy told me that he had a similar case where oil was pushed out through the refill cap due to a defective seal that would open under heavy load. Mine was good though! I guess I'll have to wait and see...
Rich

United States

#9 May 18, 2009
I have a 2007 A4 2.0T Sedan. I have not had the oil light come on but I have had to add about .5 quarts of oil every 3000 miles. I did the other day discover a leak in the top of the engine block. It seems about a table spoon of oil sprays out around the second cylinder and filler cap. I washed it off and found it came back. I consulted with Audi about it they are saying it is a cracked crank case breather valve. They are going to replace it but it still unknown to me if that is the cause.
WhiteOak

Moseley, VA

#10 May 19, 2009
The cracked crank case breather valve is what my car has been checked for twice so far but that was fine and I am still using up 1 quart of oil every 800 miles right now...
GANSETT

Providence, RI

#11 Jun 12, 2009
Very recently bought a certified pre-owned 2007 Audi A-4 Quattro Sedan 2.0T. that replaced a 2004 A-4 Quattro 3.0 six cylinder which I loved. The "Min Oil" light came on after 1775 miles. Audi dealer said the oil was down between 1-1/2 qts. Dealer did a fresh oil change, and is starting first phase of Audi's required "oil consumption test". They told me to bring the car back after 650 miles, at which time they will measure the remaining oil to determine if the consumption is is "acceptable". It's unacceptable to me that a high -end car would burn that much oil. Last vehicle that I had to carry oil around in was a 1979 Ford Pick-Up that had 111,000 miles on the clock. Audi had better fix this for me, or they've lost a customer permanently.
Bruce

Redford, MI

#12 Jun 20, 2009
I seem to hae the same issue with 2007 A4 that most of you are having. The low oil warning light 1st came on at 14K, then 21K then 26k,31k and last 34k. I have taken it to Audi each time and have been told different stories each time. First it was a qt every 6k was normal, then the next time 3k was normal oil consumption and now they finally gave me a Audi tech bulletin that states a qt every 1200 is okay. This is my 4th Audi and last Audi. I never had this issue with the other 3 Audi's. Subaru here I come.
Brad

Cincinnati, OH

#13 Jul 8, 2009
I have heard this complaint from a lot of driver's. A friend is a dealer and he says that the 2.0T and the 1.8T will use quite a bit of oil. He said that it is normal for the turbos. I have an 2007 A4 3.2 and it hasn't used a bit of oil in the 25,000 miles driven.
Tony

Brockton, MA

#14 Jul 31, 2009
I bought my 2007 A4 2.0T at 51k now is 62k, now is leaking oil at the crankshaft,cost me to replaced timing belt ,water pump,so people out-there be aware of your audi. this is my 1st Audi and will be the last Audi. Good luck to all of you with your Audi
Bennett

Denver, CO

#15 Aug 29, 2009
I too have experienced the "min oil" light on my 2007 A4 only 700 miles after fresh oil change at the Audi dealer. I took it in last week for the consumption monitoring and it took them all of 1 hour to let me know the car needed a new turbo. I have suspected all along that the oil burn issue was turbo related. Fortunatlely, my A4 is under warranty. But I think Audi is finally owning up to the problem and has perhaps figured out what's wrong with the 2007 2.0T. I recommend others experiencing the same problem bring this up to your local Audi dealer. I am certain after my experience last week and the quick diagnosis that Audi has identified the issue.
Bill

Durham, NC

#16 Sep 11, 2009
Brad said: "I have heard this complaint from a lot of driver's. A friend is a dealer and he says that the 2.0T and the 1.8T will use quite a bit of oil. He said that it is normal for the turbos."
Brad, so where does the oil go? Does it just evaporate? I call BS. My first 2007 Audi A4, but my last Audi purchase EVER. This is crazy. Well, off to the car parts store to buy more oil.
ken

Dothan, AL

#17 Sep 20, 2009
Same issue here. I took my A4 to a friend who is an expert on foreign cars and asked him to do some research. Findings: Apparently, there is a turbo pump that mixes the gas and oil (something regular cars do not have because of the air intake i guess) that is faulty. He got this information off the Audi maintenance page you and I dont have access to. It would cost Audi millions to replace every pump, so they tell you and I its normal consumption. As one reader put it earlier, 35K for a car that burns oil is unacceptable. No more Audi's in my future.
Scott

Weehawken, NJ

#18 Sep 21, 2009
I have a 2007 A4 2.0T, I just starting the oil consumption test with the dealer. I burn 1QT every 800 miles. Has anyone had their car fail the oil consumpiton test and if so what does Audi do? If they say .5 QT per 650 miles is acceptable, then my car will will fail the test. This is my first Audi and my last. I have a 2001 Nissan Altima with 207k that doesn't burn a drop of oil! I too feel this is total BS.
LM- NJ

Montclair, NJ

#20 Sep 29, 2009
I have a 2009 A4 2.0 and the car is burning oil. 4 quarts in 3 months. The dealers is saying this is normal for Audi, but I had an Audi before with no issues. Anyone having the same problem. I'm ready to trade the car in at this point and get another car (not an Audi). As much as I love the car - I dont have time to deal with this nor do I want to..
accertin

Camp Hill, PA

#22 Oct 3, 2009
I had a 2007 A4 2.0. The issue is it would show oil on top of the valve cover/cylinder closest to radiator (1 or 4?). This would happen, I'd wipe it clean go for awhile then again it would appear, plus see spots on the garage floor (p*ssed me off). I figured it had to be pressure build-up (internally), which could cause some of the oil blow by? As you know they redesigned the 2.0T for 2009-2010. I would never buy a 2007-8 2.0T. I think 2007 2.0T is lemon, and Audi knows it. I did buy a 2010 a4 2.0T, only 140 miles (well no oil on valve cover or garage floor yet :-)...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Audi A4 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
EPC and ESP Problems (Feb '07) May '16 PZFRANCISCO 64
A4 Owners Manual Download (Feb '06) May '16 Blessed 291
How to replace brakelights on a 06 audi A4 ? May '16 nokedly2 1
triptronic Apr '16 Audi owner 1
News Why Tesla's Model 3 should frighten Audi, Merce... Apr '16 Tesla Man 3
News What Secrets Are Behind Tesla's Model 3? Bloomb... Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Tesla's Model 3 Is Being Unveiled This Week -- ... Mar '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web