Chevrolet Blazer Vs. Isuzu Trooper Vs. Land Rover Discovery

Feb 14, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Motor Trend

It's no secret that America dominates the sport/utility segment in terms of sales. via Motor Trend

Comments
1 - 20 of 57 Comments Last updated Saturday Aug 2
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
That Damn Don

United States

#1 Feb 18, 2008
Having lusted after a Land Rover (any Land Rover) and having had an Isuzu Trooper as my daily driver for 16 years (standard transmission-thank you)and having driven some Chevy vehicles: vans cars, trucks and SUV's, I can safely say that Land Rover probably comes first for ride quality and durability of vehicle; Isuzu comes first for cost of parts and difficulty in sourcing them and, sadly, Chevy comes first for inferior workmanship. Land Rover's durability is legendary and, well 16 years of gravel roads, winter roads(ice roads) and no roads and -40 degrees Celsius weather tell me that my '91 Trooper can overcome any obstacle. It also tells me that the Blazer is usually pulled out of the snow/mud/ditch by my Trooper or getting a jump-start from my 7 year -old battery.

Since: Dec 07

the woods, Pa

#2 Feb 18, 2008
That Damn Don wrote:
Having lusted after a Land Rover (any Land Rover) and having had an Isuzu Trooper as my daily driver for 16 years (standard transmission-thank you)and having driven some Chevy vehicles: vans cars, trucks and SUV's, I can safely say that Land Rover probably comes first for ride quality and durability of vehicle; Isuzu comes first for cost of parts and difficulty in sourcing them and, sadly, Chevy comes first for inferior workmanship. Land Rover's durability is legendary and, well 16 years of gravel roads, winter roads(ice roads) and no roads and -40 degrees Celsius weather tell me that my '91 Trooper can overcome any obstacle. It also tells me that the Blazer is usually pulled out of the snow/mud/ditch by my Trooper or getting a jump-start from my 7 year -old battery.
Oh wow! You just compared an old chevy blazer to a land rover! Are you aware that neither blazer nor Isuzu are even made here anymore? Are you aware that a blazer is worth about $4000 tops? Have fun with that sickeningly low rover reliability rating.

“Have you driven a Ford lately?”

Since: Nov 07

Louisiana

#3 Feb 18, 2008
A good friend of mine worked at a Jaguar and Land Rover dealership, he says Jags and Rovers brake down more than any other brand he has ever seen...

Talk about overpriced Jeeps...

“Support your own”

Since: Feb 08

East Lansing, MI

#4 Feb 21, 2008
Tell-It wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wow! You just compared an old chevy blazer to a land rover! Are you aware that neither blazer nor Isuzu are even made here anymore? Are you aware that a blazer is worth about $4000 tops? Have fun with that sickeningly low rover reliability rating.
Well it's no surprise, basically, becuse ALL european brands trail American automakers in reliability.
Godwin

San Leandro, CA

#5 Mar 1, 2008
Well seeing that no one even know a Land rover.
The Land Rover is no over priced Jeep. It is a better much tougher 4x4. Those that claim that they are unreliable probably don't anything about the vehicles. Jeeps ar far likely to break a 100K before a Land Rover does. Most Soccer moms that Drive Land Rover just drive and don't service them that is why Land Rover has rumors that it is unreliable.
WhiteGirl

San Leandro, CA

#6 Mar 1, 2008
Land Rovers Are much tougher than Jeeps and Chevys. If anything most american cars are POS compared to european cars. That's why other countries don't use american cars. Land Rovers have proven themselves over and over again. Camel Trophy is one of them. Those Trucks did things that a Jeep what have gottin it's ass kicked on.
so if you guys are gonna talk about a Land Rover learn the facts instead of foolish opinions

“Assignment change”

Since: Jul 07

Yonkers, NY

#7 Mar 1, 2008
WhiteGirl wrote:
Land Rovers Are much tougher than Jeeps and Chevys. If anything most american cars are POS compared to european cars. That's why other countries don't use american cars. Land Rovers have proven themselves over and over again. Camel Trophy is one of them. Those Trucks did things that a Jeep what have gottin it's ass kicked on.
so if you guys are gonna talk about a Land Rover learn the facts instead of foolish opinions
you said Camel.....lol

the woods, Pa

#8 Mar 1, 2008
WhiteGirl wrote:
Land rovers have a 156 per 1000 problem rate, almost TWICE that of jeep. They are THE SINGLE MOST UNRELIABLE CAR AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IN THE USA. Swing that whatever way you want.
So youre saying is, theyre only unreliable for soccer moms because they dont thake their $80k land rover off road?
whodaman

AOL

#9 Mar 1, 2008
i here the mercedes-benz g55 amg is a good off road vehicle....
Built Ford Tough

Newtown, PA

#10 Mar 1, 2008
Tell-It wrote:
<quoted text>
Land rovers have a 156 per 1000 problem rate, almost TWICE that of jeep. They are THE SINGLE MOST UNRELIABLE CAR AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IN THE USA. Swing that whatever way you want.
So youre saying is, theyre only unreliable for soccer moms because they dont thake their $80k land rover off road?
This is the truth. I think every european car is junk, besides the Mercedes. BMW, Land Rover, Jag all junk..Very Luxurious, but junk...
phil wisconsin

Satellite Provider

#11 Apr 13, 2008
i have owned a 03 discovery for 3 years. it has 80k miles on it. i service like it should be. stock i have taken it places that no other stock suv could even dream of going. the only thing i do not like is the gas mileage and cost of repairs if taken in. so now i do all mods and repairs myself. but for anyone here that is saying they are junk. they must have never owned one. not mention i also have driven a denfender through 12 months of combat. 3 years later i came back to Iraq and saw it still being driven. fyi.. land rover is the ONLY vehicle that has driven on all 7 continents.
David Ebert

Mitcham, Australia

#12 Apr 14, 2008
And Landcruisers are tested and sold on all 7 continets. They are the king of all 4WD. take care.

the woods, Pa

#13 Apr 14, 2008
David Ebert wrote:
And Landcruisers are tested and sold on all 7 continets. They are the king of all 4WD. take care.
Maybe overseas, here they are a fancy suv that will seldom see a gravel road, made to compete with escalade and navigator. Fj40 lc is another joke, with its whacky styling.
Car Lover

Lanham, MD

#14 Apr 19, 2008
Land Rovers, in the USA anyway, sell based on status. Part of it is luxury, if you look at a new one they are nice inside, and then they bombard you with their offroad cabability, yada yada. But having worked on them and having a fiance that owns one. I have to say it is the only vehicle that was less reliable than my first car a 1978 Dodge magnum. Difference at least the Dodge was cheap to fix. If you care in the slightest bit about reliability or vehicle down time RUN don't walk away from this vehicle. There is a reason why used ones are so cheap. Look at the true cost of ownership for the car and let that be your guide.
Truckin

United States

#15 Apr 20, 2008
The original AM General Hummer is the offroad vehicle of choice. Being out in the bush is no place to experience electrical or emission systems problems with a luxury SUV.

Turbo diesel power, central tire inflation system, and true independant suspension all favor the Hummer.
INDY Rover

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Jul 3, 2008
I bought a used one w/ 91K on the clock for its off road ability and have been very pleased with it. I think it is great the typical lazy americans don't like them it makes them cheap for me. The only part I have replaced so far is a mass air flow sensor; which by the way I had to replace on my Pontiac 2 times in the 187K miles I had it so my Land Rover is on par w/ GM.
WhiteGirl

San Leandro, CA

#17 Jul 24, 2008
Tell-It wrote:
<quoted text>
no your wrong again. Jeep more reliable than Land rover lol now that real funny. Listen land rover has been on the lowest reliability ratings because of the small things thats why. a true owner like myself keep my Land rover well kept and the truck has never let me down. Soccers moms don't anything about land rovers other than the name. Land rover will out last any jeep. Another thing why the heck would jeep make a unibody offroad vehicle.
WhiteGirl

San Leandro, CA

#18 Jul 24, 2008
Car Lover wrote:
Land Rovers, in the USA anyway, sell based on status. Part of it is luxury, if you look at a new one they are nice inside, and then they bombard you with their offroad cabability, yada yada. But having worked on them and having a fiance that owns one. I have to say it is the only vehicle that was less reliable than my first car a 1978 Dodge magnum. Difference at least the Dodge was cheap to fix. If you care in the slightest bit about reliability or vehicle down time RUN don't walk away from this vehicle. There is a reason why used ones are so cheap. Look at the true cost of ownership for the car and let that be your guide.
a Dodge is a POS compared to Land Rover
WhiteGirl

San Leandro, CA

#19 Jul 24, 2008
David Ebert wrote:
I wouldn't say king but they are Damn tough.

the woods, Pa

#20 Aug 1, 2008
WhiteGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
no your wrong again. Jeep more reliable than Land rover lol now that real funny. Listen land rover has been on the lowest reliability ratings because of the small things thats why. a true owner like myself keep my Land rover well kept and the truck has never let me down. Soccers moms don't anything about land rovers other than the name. Land rover will out last any jeep. Another thing why the heck would jeep make a unibody offroad vehicle.
Little things are what drives an $80,000 suv. If the electronics fail its as good as junk. Jeep is more reliable than land rover, and thats just plain embarrasing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Malaysia Airlines Is Hemorrhaging Money, Flying... 18 hr _malon_goblok 4
Ferguson violence: Escalation blamed on cops Wed gomer 2
2014 Cadillac CTS vs. 2014 Chevrolet Corvette S... Wed supashack 1
VP Biden congratulates 'fellow veep' on Emmy win Wed Le Jimbo 2
Why Cars Don't Get 80 Miles Per Gallon: 4 Reasons Aug 26 Sharptons Savages 5
ALL cars-High Mileage Stories (Nov '07) Aug 25 shane3030 25
Top SBB Key Programmer V33.02 - Auto Key Progra... (Dec '13) Aug 24 uobd2 5

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••