Are the boxy SUVs like the Tahoe real...

Are the boxy SUVs like the Tahoe really going out-of-style?

Posted in the Autos Forum

spike

Columbia, KY

#1 Feb 5, 2009
I keep hearing how crossovers are the next big think in autos, replacing the boxy SUVs. Problem is, I just can't bring myself to drive a crossover. I don't want a pickup, but I do want a vehicle that is masculine. I'm sorry, but crossovers just don't do it for me.

I really like the looks of the Chevy Tahoe, but on the other hand, I don't want to invest in a big, boxy SUV only to learn three years from now that they're outdated and not a good seller. If that's going to be the case, I'll just go ahead and buy a pickup.

So, what is the future of SUVs like the Tahoe? Are they destined to become dinosaurs sooner than later?
kah

Winter Springs, FL

#2 Feb 28, 2009
Do you mean the new ones or the old 90's Tahoe? I like the new ones. I totally agree with you about crossovers though, they look like the manufacturers just made a cheap mini SUV so they can save costs. but I don't think boxy SUV's are going out of style. Look at the new Dodges and Rand Rovers. Even Mercedes's and Ford's SUVs have a some boxyness too it. But I do miss the older ones from the early 90's. I was actually trying to find some other than the Explorer when I came across this forum, any suggestions?
Two Buck Chuck

Albany, GA

#3 Mar 1, 2009
Judging by the sales numbers, it would appear that the Tahoe, Exedition, and Durango are all going out of style.
spike

Columbia, KY

#4 Mar 3, 2009
Yes, I was referring to the new stuff, the latest versions of the Tahoe, Explorer, etc. Granted, they're not as "boxy" (to reuse my own word) as SUVs may have been in the 90s, but they're still big, bulky, and, well, still kinda square/boxy. Contrast these with vehicles like the Nissan Murano, Toyota Venza, Chevy Traverse, etc, which are sleeker and more like cars.
kah

Winter Springs, FL

#5 Mar 10, 2009
@ Two Buck Chuck. well i don't know about the new Tahoe, I see them everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE(TV, Movies, every corner). I think your right about the Expedtion and Durango but I think there problems are more about quality. Still, I pray that trucks like the new Tahoe don't disappear because crossovers are too feminine for me, besides I doubt it will happen because like you and me there is a want for it and if there is a want there will always be someone to supply it.
Alan

San Antonio, TX

#6 Feb 13, 2010
Dude, two words. FJ cruiser.
Chris

Danville, KY

#7 Jul 19, 2013
I guess the answer to the question posed in February 2009 turned out to be "yes". Although Chevy stubbornly hangs on to its "boxy" design of the Tahoe, cars such as the Nissan Pathfinder, Ford Explorer, Ford Escape, and others are much sleeker now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to Buy Extra Car Models Software for Foxwel... (Jun '16) 2 hr tuita 2
Lonsdor K518ISE Key Programmer Update–American ... 9 hr lanny717 3
News NASCAR Just Made Its New Road Course-Oval Track... 11 hr ThisPhartse 2
News Manhattan could become first U.S. city to levy ... Tue Go green 2
How to make Suzuki Jimny 2004 24c01 key with vvdi Mon Ambrosio 1
Original Autel MaxiSYS Elite J2534 ECU Program ... Mon OBD2TOOL 2
Lonsdor K518ise key programmer Free update – Fiat Mon OBD2TOOL 2
More from around the web