Toyota fears becoming number-one, int...

Toyota fears becoming number-one, internal memo says

There are 266 comments on the Motor Trend story from Feb 13, 2007, titled Toyota fears becoming number-one, internal memo says. In it, Motor Trend reports that:

Filed under: Car News , Motor City Blogman , Toyota Gaining sales in the U.S. and becoming the world's largest automaker isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Motor Trend.

ben berlinsky

Phillips, WI

#213 May 31, 2007
like ive said before, toyota can build small engines with ease, but they best leave real engines to detroit.
jerome

United States

#214 May 31, 2007
For crying out loud People ! who cares.. any one ever noticed how many 05, 06, and even 07 crapillac are on the side of the road broken down..! GM IS JUNK, real car people know that, they simply hang on to the past with the vette that was back in the 60's a decent car.Now, give me any chevy. or GM brand(except the Vibe being a toyota) and i will take a Huyndai ! or even a kia.
why don't GM offer 10 years or 100.000 miles on their cars ? because they are junk..
As for Toyota, and all japanese cars, well, it all starts with the design of the product. from outside mirror motor to whatever in the car, it is all in the design, and the ability to say NO to some crappy parts and not settle for substandard parts because the supplier went fishing and left the oven on too long.!
you buy a seiko, and it last forever. You buy a fossil, and that is what you get.
Greed is what will kill the car makers in the ..oh..yeah mexico and canada. by the way, any one know that the magical state of the art GTO from Chevy is not even made in the northern hemisphere ? Even Volvo make better cars, i have seen many with over 500.000 miles, and a 1966 p1800 has now over 2.5 million miles in new york.. go ahead GM..beat that with anything.
AAAHHR, wasting my time i have better things to do,i am going to bed..
jerome

United States

#215 May 31, 2007
correction...small engines are HONDA'S
you also need to go to bed as you are talking out of your a....
forgot about the V8 in lexus's ? hardly qualifies as a small engine don't you think ?
Charlie

Dallas, TX

#216 May 31, 2007
Hey petey, I live in Dallas and not one time have I seen a caddy on the road dead. I have however seen dead bloody lifless bodies dripping red human blood scattered on I30. The folks in the Suburban walked away wearing a bandaid. You do the math.. USA=safety japoline=danger.
str003lpd

San Antonio, TX

#218 Jun 26, 2007
con_tiki wrote:
Toyota is bracing for criticism and backlash as it grows in the face of U.S. Big Three declines.
Our competitors are jealous of our success.
These are some of things that happen when you build a quality product that the public demand and you are able to supply it to them.
Your competitors can't seem to achieve this quality or acceptance so they are jealous and look to the government to help them out.
from a tundra maker in texas (tmmtx). the toyota tundra is all american. i am very proud of it. cheers on being numero 1.
need fair not free trade

Louisville, KY

#221 Jun 27, 2007
Knollenberg, Stabenow work to end artificially weakened yen
June 27, 2007

By TODD SPANGLER

FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF

WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. Joe Knollenberg today introduced legislation he says will push the Japanese government to end “the manipulation and severe misalignment of its currency,” weakening the yen to the point where it essentially provides billions of dollars in export subsidies to Japanese automakers.

Knollenberg, an Oakland County Republican, said Japan has spent more than $400 billion over the last six years to artificially weaken its currency. That means automakers
TMMI WORKER

Jeffersonville, IN

#223 Jul 28, 2007
TUNDRA MAKER wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Found On Roadside Dead, Its just a matter of time. Why do you think Toyoyta built another truck plant in Teaxs? Toyota will have a 3/4 ton a 1 ton and will also offer a diesel.
Well Toyota built a plant in Texas so they could produce a cheaper truck with cheaper labor to make more profit. They pay (TMMI) us more than what they want to now and dont know how to deal with it. They realized with the addition of PMI back in 2002 that people in swarms would work and do the same work for 1/2 the pay. They were like 'we are paying these idiots too much' Think they wanted to pay us $27 hour? They do it becuase they thought they had to, to get people that would work. They are only getting rid of PMI cause of contract conflicts. Theres gonna be another temp agency. Who's TMMK use? Keep that name in mind, thats the new temps we will have by late 2008. Sienna new model change. They want to cut our beniefits and hourly wage they just dont know how to do it.(Wait until they unveal the new health plan, yes I have inside info) They dont want a repeat at TMMI like at 'K'. K is real close to UAW and Toyota knows it and it scares them. Tundra maker I dont know if you are still reading this but that is the reason you are only building 259 a shift now. All the B cabs and such you built are now done at TMMTX . Whats top wage there?$20/hr? Smart move on 'yotas part.

I hired in a TMMI in 2001 and I dread everyday I have to go in there. I really am saddened by the numbers of vehciles that pass by me everyday and I see the defects and they are supposely OK. Seeds on the hood 3mm or so, and thats OK? Cross threaded seat belt bolts hammered in with a 12v or a air gun. Seat bolts done the same. Its sad really sad! Toyota is getting sloppy and I see it everyday. Its not Safety, Quality, Productivity. Its freaking how many you can make and how fast, heres some ice for your hands.

While Im at it, oh the favortism. I have never in my life seen it this bad anywhere else. "Oh you are a complete moron, heres another stripe" I sit and wait for the day when UAW shows up. I will vote yes, although unions have good and bad points. But someone has to stop this 'open door policy' and the completely useless HR department.
All American

United States

#224 Jul 29, 2007
TMMI WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Toyota built a plant in Texas so they could produce a cheaper truck with cheaper labor to make more profit. They pay (TMMI) us more than what they want to now and dont know how to deal with it. They realized with the addition of PMI back in 2002 that people in swarms would work and do the same work for 1/2 the pay. They were like 'we are paying these idiots too much' Think they wanted to pay us $27 hour? They do it becuase they thought they had to, to get people that would work. They are only getting rid of PMI cause of contract conflicts. Theres gonna be another temp agency. Who's TMMK use? Keep that name in mind, thats the new temps we will have by late 2008. Sienna new model change. They want to cut our beniefits and hourly wage they just dont know how to do it.(Wait until they unveal the new health plan, yes I have inside info) They dont want a repeat at TMMI like at 'K'. K is real close to UAW and Toyota knows it and it scares them. Tundra maker I dont know if you are still reading this but that is the reason you are only building 259 a shift now. All the B cabs and such you built are now done at TMMTX . Whats top wage there?$20/hr? Smart move on 'yotas part.
I hired in a TMMI in 2001 and I dread everyday I have to go in there. I really am saddened by the numbers of vehciles that pass by me everyday and I see the defects and they are supposely OK. Seeds on the hood 3mm or so, and thats OK? Cross threaded seat belt bolts hammered in with a 12v or a air gun. Seat bolts done the same. Its sad really sad! Toyota is getting sloppy and I see it everyday. Its not Safety, Quality, Productivity. Its freaking how many you can make and how fast, heres some ice for your hands.
While Im at it, oh the favortism. I have never in my life seen it this bad anywhere else. "Oh you are a complete moron, heres another stripe" I sit and wait for the day when UAW shows up. I will vote yes, although unions have good and bad points. But someone has to stop this 'open door policy' and the completely useless HR department.
SO YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WORKING FOR THIS PARTICULAR COMPANY QUIT LOOK FOR A SOME THING YOU DESERVE RIGHT!
TMMI WORKER

Jeffersonville, IN

#225 Aug 10, 2007
Tell you what All American, if my house jumped to 1.2 Million dollars, ID BE GONE! Palm trees are pretty but they aren't that pretty! So I can tell if you pay that for a house you dont have any sense anyways.

Work for an auto assembly plant and then come back and talk crap! Try having you shoulders and hands cut on a then call it toyota Tattoos. You dont know crap and leave you 2 cents out if you havent got anything informative to say. LOOSER

“" the original con_tiki " ”

Since: Aug 07

Oakville, Ontario, Canada

#226 Aug 10, 2007
TMMI WORKER wrote:
Tell you what All American, if my house jumped to 1.2 Million dollars, ID BE GONE! Palm trees are pretty but they aren't that pretty! So I can tell if you pay that for a house you dont have any sense anyways.
Work for an auto assembly plant and then come back and talk crap! Try having you shoulders and hands cut on a then call it toyota Tattoos. You dont know crap and leave you 2 cents out if you havent got anything informative to say. LOOSER
Good to see you back at the forum TMMI WORKER !!
tmmk worker

Lexington, KY

#227 Aug 23, 2007
TMMI WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>
The UAW is there to assist you but the workers at TMMI have to do the organizing.You appear to have an understanding of how Toyota runs their plants.Ive seen it for 18 yrs.,dont be fooled that it will get better unless you and your coworkers stand up and make a change.
TMMI WORKER

Jeffersonville, IN

#228 Aug 24, 2007
Whats wrong with your guys website, I have tried to register on UAWTMMK.com a couple times and I never get the email or the confiramtion email is never sent. I would really like to have a sit down chat with someone there via the forum or whatever. I tried contacting the administrator and he never contacted me back. Anyway you can conatct me via email at [email protected] ..
tmmk worker

Lexington, KY

#229 Aug 26, 2007
New website coming out within next two weeks will post the address here for all to see.

Since: Feb 07

Wa Wa Washington

#231 Sep 7, 2007
TMMI WORKER wrote:
For God sake. Where is self respect. NOBODY makes you go to work. YOU choose to go to work. Quit your damn crying. If you dont like the surgerys and "TATTOOS, Just quit and shut up. Get the union involved. Do Something instead of nothing!!!!! Its easy to sit there and cry. You have lots of choices you can make, but you choose to CRY to everyone. Your pathetic!!!!!!!!!
TMMI WORKER

Jeffersonville, IN

#233 Sep 27, 2007
TUNDRA MAKER wrote:
<quoted text>
For God sake. Where is self respect. NOBODY makes you go to work. YOU choose to go to work. Quit your damn crying. If you dont like the surgerys and "TATTOOS, Just quit and shut up. Get the union involved. Do Something instead of nothing!!!!! Its easy to sit there and cry. You have lots of choices you can make, but you choose to CRY to everyone. Your pathetic!!!!!!!!!
So what happened? They slowing your line down again? 120 seconds takt now I hear? Took a 31 cent an hour pay cut in early sept?(paying for insurance) Its coming, and take your diversity blanket, and fold it one of 3 ways. 1) as a noose, 2) blindfold or 3) as a mouth gagN . the leaked memo is slowing coming true...

Anyways, bud I stay because I want to. I am involved with the union, I just have to sit back and wait until Toyota starts pissing everyone off, theres to many true blues like you right now. Let them bleed us a little more and then people will start coming in with UAW on there vehciles and hatrs. I wont be the only one...
rob

Louisville, KY

#234 Sep 28, 2007
----------

This picture, taken by an anonymous tipster the guys at jalopnik.com are calling "Deep Alamo", is from the set up for the Texas State Fair last night. Looks normal enough, doesn't it -- the Toyota truck racing trailer pulling up to the fair site, right? Wait a second, something's wrong here -- is that a late-model Silverado 3500 HD crew cab hauling it around? Yeah, that's what that is. Obviously the reason why Toyota wasn't going to be able to haul this heavy of a trailer was because they don't have a heavy duty pickup to hitch that big Toyota racing trailer up to. But even the most hard-core Toyota truck fan's got to admit it's probably a little embarrassing to have the competition hauling you around by your johnson trailer hitch.
Ford only

Fort Wayne, IN

#235 Sep 28, 2007
TUNDRA MAKER wrote:
I work at The Toyota plant in Princeton IN. You talk about how the quality of American vehichles are declining. First, Toyota is based out of Japan, But the Vehichles are biult here in the USA. There are more American parts on a Toyota then there are on Chevy, Ford or Dodge. Take the Camry for Example. It is built in Georgertown KY. In the USA. The Monte Carlo, Dodge Charger and Some Fords are Mostly built Outside the USA in Mexico and Canada. As Far as the Toyota Tundra goes, ALMOST every part on the vehichle comes from suppliers in the USA. Here is just a few examples.
All the steel for making the body, doors ect. is all American Stell. The frames come from Dana, which is in Owensboro,ky. The engines are all assembled in west virgina and Alabama, the rotors come from ATTC in Tell City IN, all of the Plastic molding for the interior/dash come from perryville, MO or are made at the Princeton plant. Almost all of the bolts and nuts come from rightway fasters ansd Indiana Auotmotive, both from Indiana. Speakers and sound sytem come from Panasonic, All the window crank assemblys come from Georgia, the brakelines, ac lines trans lines radiators come from Denso which is located in battle creek Michigan, The seats all come from Illinois and Evansville area, Tail lights come from North American Lighting, in Salem Illinois and Flora Illinois. I could go on and on and on. So the problem isnt that the foreign cars are better built, But that The "Foreign" name is what makes MOST americans think Toyotas are "foreign" vehichles when there not. They Are Made in America, By Americans. The big 3 are building alot of there autos outside of America. So I ask you this.........Which auto maker is the real "Foreign" auto maker? Maybe Toyota are such quality vehichles because the Americans are building them using american parts. Not Being built in Canada and Nexico by "Foreign" people!!!!
Anyone who works for that scumabag company must be a scumbag. You will never get a dime of my money..
not for long

Jeffersonville, IN

#236 Oct 26, 2007
tmmi worker is right...bring on the uaw!!!!
Built Ford Tough

Fort Wayne, IN

#237 Oct 27, 2007
Toyota is 50/50. Half the cars are made here and the other half in Japan. So don't give me the crap about American cars are more foreign. Ford and Gm are also global. They build and sell cars in Asia and Europe and Mexico, so it is possible that American cars are built elsewhere. I would rather drive a Ford made in Mexico, than a Toyota made in Texas any day. But since my truck and car were both made in the USA, I don' have much to worry about. The thing you better worry about is when the economy falls into recession and car sales plummet, that Toyota will replace your full time jobs with temp workers, since there is no Union protection..

Truckin

United States

#238 Oct 27, 2007
Built Ford Tough wrote:
Toyota is 50/50. Half the cars are made here and the other half in Japan. So don't give me the crap about American cars are more foreign. Ford and Gm are also global. They build and sell cars in Asia and Europe and Mexico, so it is possible that American cars are built elsewhere. I would rather drive a Ford made in Mexico, than a Toyota made in Texas any day. But since my truck and car were both made in the USA, I don' have much to worry about. The thing you better worry about is when the economy falls into recession and car sales plummet, that Toyota will replace your full time jobs with temp workers, since there is no Union protection..
We've seen how well the UAW has protected jobs in the past 10 years. The rank and file UAW workforce has been decimated and the JOBS bank has led to billions of dollars in losses for the Detriot 3 automakers. All automotive companies should have the freedom to adjust their employment levels as sales go up/down and productivity fluctuates. Basically you're telling me that when auto sales plummet the UAW will ensure the production workers will still be employed? Hmmm...paying people to build fewer cars....that sounds novel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mehdisoft Fri asgari123 1
News Exclusive: Dr. Phil feels 'violated' over stole... (Sep '12) Nov 15 cadescove99 6
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) Nov 15 jimmyLIN 20
Tips to unlock KVM in Land Rover Nov 15 Ambrosio 1
News Tony Stewart wants back in a NASCAR Xfinity car... Nov 12 New Phartse 7
(11.11 Big Promotion) BMW ICOM Next A+B+C Nov 8 FMPC001 1
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Nov 7 Irishmenshamrock 317
BMW ISTA-D Rheingold 4.05.23 free dwonload her... Sep '17 willburr555 5
More from around the web