Workers chilly to Ford contract, UAW ...

Workers chilly to Ford contract, UAW reps say

There are 79 comments on the www.freep.com story from Oct 19, 2009, titled Workers chilly to Ford contract, UAW reps say. In it, www.freep.com reports that:

Even with a tentative agreement that is filled with product and job promises, UAW members may oppose it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.freep.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
T-Bone Pickens

Fountain Inn, SC

#1 Oct 19, 2009
Go and strike and teach 'em a lesson. That'll show 'em. UAW must rule or ruin.
Dougie

Houston, TX

#3 Oct 19, 2009
UAW International + U.S. Government = screwed workforce
Savage Factory

West Chester, OH

#4 Oct 20, 2009
T-Bone Pickens wrote:
Go and strike and teach 'em a lesson. That'll show 'em. UAW must rule or ruin.
I have to disagree. The UAW has to turn into a productive, skilled work force that outproduces non union labor. They have to work with management. They have to agree to reasonable wages and benefits. If these things are not met, the auto industry is a goner. This business of seeing who is meaner, the company or the union, is history. If it is still perpetuated it will deal a death sentence to untold numbers of jobs in this country. We have to be the best and beat the competition. That is what has made us a great nation. From what I have seen, the UAW and management have come a long way in burying the turbulent past when I worked in the auto industry 35 years ago and was compelled to write "A Savage Factory" because I believed that the war between management and labor was digging the grave of the auto industry. If you click on my website www.asavagefactory.com and then click on media you can read my article entitled "Ford, 1979 Versus Ford, 2009" It is a recap of my visit back to the plant where I worked in the 70s and based my book upon, and was amazed at how far the UAW and management have come in learning to work together to build quality transmissions that will blow the competition away.
Joe Dirt

Elmwood Park, IL

#5 Oct 20, 2009
Savage Factory wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to disagree. The UAW has to turn into a productive, skilled work force that outproduces non union labor. They have to work with management. They have to agree to reasonable wages and benefits. If these things are not met, the auto industry is a goner. This business of seeing who is meaner, the company or the union, is history. If it is still perpetuated it will deal a death sentence to untold numbers of jobs in this country. We have to be the best and beat the competition. That is what has made us a great nation. From what I have seen, the UAW and management have come a long way in burying the turbulent past when I worked in the auto industry 35 years ago and was compelled to write "A Savage Factory" because I believed that the war between management and labor was digging the grave of the auto industry. If you click on my website www.asavagefactory.com and then click on media you can read my article entitled "Ford, 1979 Versus Ford, 2009" It is a recap of my visit back to the plant where I worked in the 70s and based my book upon, and was amazed at how far the UAW and management have come in learning to work together to build quality transmissions that will blow the competition away.
I hire in 25 yrs ago in 1984, I was 18yrs old. People still believe the UNION is what it was back then, they are clueless and you will never be able to change their minds,,,T-Bone is a classic example of that. He is drawing a Union pension, is disgruntled he did,'t stay for the whole 30 in out to get what he could have gotten. Since he didn't do that, now he comes on here, tells everyone they need to 'improve' themselves and quit the Union like he did, and screw themselves out of a 30yr package. BTW,,,the Unions are completely different now than what they were, Team based manufacturing is what it is now,,,the fat has been cut, and they want more. No matter what is done its never enough and we are all in a race to the bottom. There's gonna be the rich and the poor.
guess who

Dekalb, IL

#6 Oct 20, 2009
Joe Dirt wrote:
<quoted text>I hire in 25 yrs ago in 1984, I was 18yrs old. People still believe the UNION is what it was back then, they are clueless and you will never be able to change their minds,,,T-Bone is a classic example of that. He is drawing a Union pension, is disgruntled he did,'t stay for the whole 30 in out to get what he could have gotten. Since he didn't do that, now he comes on here, tells everyone they need to 'improve' themselves and quit the Union like he did, and screw themselves out of a 30yr package. BTW,,,the Unions are completely different now than what they were, Team based manufacturing is what it is now,,,the fat has been cut, and they want more. No matter what is done its never enough and we are all in a race to the bottom. There's gonna be the rich and the poor.
Why do you assume people are disgruntled? Just because you want the 30 and out and you don't enjoy your work, doesn't mean that other folks dont engjoy going to work. As biased as some folks are against the union, some of the union folks are even more biased. Many people have jobs they enjoy, have flexible work schedules that allow them to enjoy their life even more.
T-Bone Pickens

Fountain Inn, SC

#7 Oct 20, 2009
Joe Dirt wrote:
<quoted text>I hire in 25 yrs ago in 1984, I was 18yrs old. People still believe the UNION is what it was back then, they are clueless and you will never be able to change their minds,,,T-Bone is a classic example of that. He is drawing a Union pension, is disgruntled he did,'t stay for the whole 30 in out to get what he could have gotten. Since he didn't do that, now he comes on here, tells everyone they need to 'improve' themselves and quit the Union like he did, and screw themselves out of a 30yr package. BTW,,,the Unions are completely different now than what they were, Team based manufacturing is what it is now,,,the fat has been cut, and they want more. No matter what is done its never enough and we are all in a race to the bottom. There's gonna be the rich and the poor.
You chose to waste 30 years of your life trudging in and out of a factory so that you could get your "package"

I don't regret for one minute that I chose freedom over those golden handcuffs. My job involved world travel, variety, autonomy, and a good living. Best of all, I didn't have to listen to drivel like yours.

Since: Oct 09

Perrysburg, OH

#8 Oct 20, 2009
If you don't want to hear "drivel" about the UAW and life at Chrysler why are you still coming on here? Life can't be that great if you're always posting on topics and aren't even employed by Chrysler. Say whatever you want BUT there is something wrong that you even take the time to come on here. jeez!

Since: May 09

United States

#9 Oct 20, 2009
UAW GIRL wrote:
If you don't want to hear "drivel" about the UAW and life at Chrysler why are you still coming on here? Life can't be that great if you're always posting on topics and aren't even employed by Chrysler. Say whatever you want BUT there is something wrong that you even take the time to come on here. jeez!
AMEN!!!
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

#10 Oct 20, 2009
I think the UAW should feel DAMN lucky they have a freakin job!

I have always said (at least in recent years) that the union has been the main and root cause that manufacturing has all but collapsed in the US.

The costs, the unyielding demands, the losses do to under performers, protectionism, the sense of entitlement, and the disparage spewed day in and day out about the company, gets customers and potential customers thinking of alternatives, and forces companies to take drastic measures to remain economically competitive globally.

Unions and their solidarity, have really "stuck it" to the man...and now the result is...customer confidence is kaputt.

United States

#11 Oct 20, 2009
TruthBeTold wrote:
I have always said (at least in recent years) that the union has been the main and root cause that manufacturing has all but collapsed in the US.
The costs, the unyielding demands, the losses do to under performers, protectionism, the sense of entitlement, and the disparage spewed day in and day out about the company, gets customers and potential customers thinking of alternatives, and forces companies to take drastic measures to remain economically competitive globally.
Unions and their solidarity, have really "stuck it" to the man...and now the result is...customer confidence is kaputt.
LOL!!! Good one T-Bone.
Dougie

Houston, TX

#12 Oct 20, 2009
TruthBeTold wrote:
Costs as in what?.Vehicle production is cheaper than years ago,quality has been sidelined for quanity.Corp.greed has grown greater.You can blame the failures on anyone but the workforce,we bust our asses for every dime we get.If you havent ever worked in an auto factory then maybe you should give it a try dickhead.
Joe Dirt

Elmwood Park, IL

#13 Oct 20, 2009
T-Bone Pickens wrote:
<quoted text>
You chose to waste 30 years of your life trudging in and out of a factory so that you could get your "package"
I don't regret for one minute that I chose freedom over those golden handcuffs. My job involved world travel, variety, autonomy, and a good living. Best of all, I didn't have to listen to drivel like yours.
I will be 48 in 4yrs and will have my 30. I will have plenty of time to do other less laborous jobs in the near future and if I don't like it I will do something else,,,Although times have been tough as they are now, and have even relocated,I have enjoyed the work I have done. In 25 yrs I have Mig and Flux welded, metal finish/repairer in the Bodyshop dept. I then went to Final assembly and have done pretty much evrything from putting seats and doors in/on, pin-stripping, Door-fitter, Final-repair, Final-inspection, Front-end alignment, Roll-test, I can go on and on,,,Yes there are a few that walk in there and do the same jobs day n and out. I have never been that type of person, I enjoy new challanges and most people think we do not have choices and are stuck on the same stuff all the time,BS, if you want to float or bid on another job you can move anywhere based on seniority. Sittin behind a desk thinking I am somebody does not appeal to me at all. The worst part of doing what we do is the stress on your body, I have had carpal tunnel, tendonitis, torn rotator-cuffs, torn ligaments etc...all from doing that type of work, its hard on the body but I have pride in what I have done over the years...

Since: Sep 09

United States

#14 Oct 21, 2009
Joe Dirt wrote:
<quoted text> Roll-test, I can go on and on
Were you doing the roll test when we were still building the minivans at the north plant and the infamous "cracker whacker"? LOL - Oh, the memories.
T-Bone Pickens

Fountain Inn, SC

#15 Oct 21, 2009
TruthBeTold wrote:
Let the UAW "win" $50 an hour plus benefits. Go for $60 or $70 for all I care. Why not get retirement at 25 years? Better yet, 20 years. Most UAW drones think that they are "winning" this from their companies. In reality, it is the customer that pays. So guys, the sky is the limit, but just be prepared for the results. Just keep in the back of your mind that there is competition now, and the customer knows it. Don't whine about "corporate greed" when the customer rejects your demands. Its not 1970 any more.

Farmington, MI

#16 Oct 21, 2009
T-Bone Pickens wrote:
<quoted text>
Let the UAW "win" $50 an hour plus benefits. Go for $60 or $70 for all I care. Why not get retirement at 25 years? Better yet, 20 years. Most UAW drones think that they are "winning" this from their companies. In reality, it is the customer that pays. So guys, the sky is the limit, but just be prepared for the results. Just keep in the back of your mind that there is competition now, and the customer knows it. Don't whine about "corporate greed" when the customer rejects your demands. Its not 1970 any more.
Good one Truthbetold.
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

#17 Oct 21, 2009
Dougie wrote:
<quoted text>Costs as in what?.Vehicle production is cheaper than years ago,quality has been sidelined for quanity.Corp.greed has grown greater.You can blame the failures on anyone but the workforce,we bust our asses for every dime we get.If you havent ever worked in an auto factory then maybe you should give it a try dickhead.
No offense...but you just don't get it.
The cost associated with having a union are far beyond the scope of anyone's imagination. First there are the legal fees associated with trying to maintain and manage the workforce, the costs associated with legal consultation fees alone are astronomical. Next we talk about the cost associated with paying for work not performed,(ie having to pay someone who is an under performer, or someone that gets backpay when the arbitrators decide that a guy gets his job back because of some loophole). There are certainly an indeterminate and unfathomable amount of economical loss as a result of people who are steered away from union producers, whether justified or not many people left the big three for the rice burners because of the disgruntled and seemingly non-loyal workers who constantly bash the very companies who employ them for a high level of compensation.
Can anyone expect consumers to shop at a company who spews so much anger, hatred and overall negativity! The union breeds the us vs them mentality that destroys a company.

Not working as a team has killed many a sports franchise's, and as we see the same has been the case for the big three.

Many more costs associated with a union may very well exist, bat those are simply a few of the obvious biggies!
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

#18 Oct 21, 2009
Dougie wrote:
If you havent ever worked in an auto factory then maybe you should give it a try dickhead.
No we can simply pay a non union Mexican worker 1/20th of what you earn to do the same thing you troll!
Haven't you figured that out yet???
Goober

Carmine, TX

#19 Oct 21, 2009
TruthBeTold wrote:
<quoted text>No we can simply pay a non union Mexican worker 1/20th of what you earn to do the same thing you troll!
Haven't you figured that out yet???
Uh,whos we ?
Aparently you haven't figured that out yet ! lmfao
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

#20 Oct 21, 2009
Goober wrote:
<quoted text>Uh,whos we ?
Aparently you haven't figured that out yet ! lmfao
Hey..your name fits.
Uhhh the we would be the management that makes the decisions...you know the management...they are the ones that the union workers disparage all the time and take shots at, but then are too dumb to realize that they are doing nothing but biting the hand that feeds them!
Goober

Carmine, TX

#21 Oct 21, 2009
TruthBeTold wrote:
<quoted text>Hey..your name fits.
Uhhh the we would be the management that makes the decisions...you know the management...they are the ones that the union workers disparage all the time and take shots at, but then are too dumb to realize that they are doing nothing but biting the hand that feeds them!
Are you a wanna be when it comes to being we in reference to mgnt.? Uh the we is to dumb to be you !
I only buy American at any cost....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bmw icom next a+b+c 2016 new generation of icom a2 3 hr yellowbend 1
OP-COM 2012V/ VAUX-COM 120309a Free Download (Oct '15) 12 hr lalaura 18
News 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid and Energi Quick Spin 13 hr Solarman 1
RAC Warranty at North West Autos Blackburn Review (Feb '15) 17 hr David houldsworth 11
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) 19 hr Over Priced Civic 11,777
XTOOL iOBD2 Mini OBD2 EOBD Scanner Wed lalaura 11
News Americans are more overweight than ever, CDC su... Wed TimeforHonesty 10
More from around the web