Southwest Airlines abandons small markets
Your Take contributions have not been reviewed for accuracy by USA TODAY. Contributors agree to our Terms of Service and are responsible for the content of their videos and photos.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at USA Today.
#1 Dec 11, 2013
I think the EJETS are too blame for WN's pull back from smaller markets.
Maybe it is because EJETS can:
- be boarded and deplaned faster than 737's
- fly decent stage length efficiently without stopping for more passengers at every other large city
- are passenger friendly with no middle seats
- offer a comfortable first class cabin if the market warrants it
- be cabin managed with mininimum staffing so it does not take 2 hours so customers can get to restroom during a beverage and meal service
Since: Apr 09
#2 Dec 12, 2013
EJETS (your term) SUCK because:
- To fly a "decent stage length" they leave passengers at the gate. Paying passengers watch the Regional jet leave without them, with empty seats. Ask me how I know.
- Tiny or NO overhead compartments. You have to gate check your bag and hope you get it back on the other end.
- First class on an RJ? What are you smoking?
- A Coke and a bag of peanuts is not "meal service". Even on a domestic flight on a larger plane they don't have real meals anymore. So the vast majority of the time you can get to the lav.
#3 Dec 12, 2013
Wish I had coined it! Embraer 170,175,190, and 195's are known as Ejets
Admittedly, Bombardier RJ's and ERJ 145 Jungle Jets are a little weaker on range than the Embraer Ejet Airliners
A little less storage admittedly, but there are fewer passengers too, as roller bags cannot be placed straight in, but those dainty pretty little flight attendants have to lift so many backs for the masses on the 737's already. Let us leave, professional baggage handlers to do the lifting, and stowing of oversized carry-ons in its proper place, the below floor luggage compartments
Sorry you do NOT need trans-atlantic Sleeper Seats to go New York to Dallas Love Field. 3 abreast is far more comfortable in first, and 4 abreast in coach than the 6 across on the 737
Many airlines who operate 737's do far more than Southwest's bag of nuts.
I am sensing a little ANGER in your reaction. You may promote, market, and marvel all you want about the 737, but I as a passenger much prefer the Embraer 175 Ejet on the sort of travelling I do.
Since: Apr 09
#4 Dec 12, 2013
Sorry, I did not know "Ejet" meant those specific Embraer aircraft. I thought that was your term for Regional Jets. Yes, I'm a little angry at management for "mis-using" the regional jets after 9-11. I was commuting from ORF to JFK and then ORF to STL on MD-80's and Boeing 717 when 9-11 happened. Management used that as an excuse to pull the real airplanes and put those baby jets on 2 and 3 hour legs. I saw my commuter flights leave with 3, 4 or 5 seats empty because they couldn't fill the tanks AND the seats! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
TWA (just before the AA merger) put an ERJ on (wait for this) BOS to STL! As you might be able to guess the POS couldn't make it non-stop and usually stopped in CMH for fuel. But it was sold as a non-stop BOS-STL.
Add your comments below
|Retiring NASCAR star Danica Patrick hopes to ha...||2 hr||Oink pharts||6|
|Video: RC toy car cruises down Houston freeway ...||Thu||LONG FARTS||3|
|What is the most reliable engine ever made? (Aug '08)||Jan 16||Retired Master Tech||218|
|More toyota Junk (Jun '07)||Jan 12||Canada Rocks||338|
|Lonsdor K518ise key programmer Free update – Fiat||Jan 11||lanny717||1|
|Tony Stewart's Having A Rough Few Weeks||Jan 11||AgreePhart||124|
|The 2018 Mazda 3 May Have The Best No-Bullshit ...||Jan 11||Autoboner||2|
|BMW ISTA-D Rheingold 4.05.23 free dwonload her... (May '17)||Jan 7||OBD2TOOL||6|
Find what you want!
Search Autos Forum Now
Copyright © 2018 Topix LLC