5 cylinder chevy colorado
Andy

Columbus, OH

#151 Apr 19, 2011
hey people I5 is ballanced! how long has volvo been making I5's? Oh yea european engineering is way ahead of us!
Robertfromsc

Florence, SC

#152 Apr 26, 2011
The wife and I purchase a five inline engine 2010 Chevy Colorado. It was in need at the time we did not have time to look at any other auto's. We are extremely upset with the MPG 14 around town and maybe 17 on a trip. The excuse of the dealership is as long as it has ethanol in it we will continue to get this mileage, what a bunch of bunk! I then spoke with another dealership and there statement is its climate and air intake. Well everything has been done to help the engine breath better. Guess what nothing helped. I asked if I could use a octane boost to see if the gas mileage and he said it would not because it will still burn the ethanol so there is a questionable and confusing statement.My next question was is there anyway to increase the mileage with change of the program in the computer in the truck and again he fell short of what I was hoping to hear. It would have to be a number of people complaining to get an access to the engine codes to help us improve the MPG again another bunk reply. Does anyone know if the auto maker have any new idea's of helping the consumer out? Is there anything we can do to increase the MPG on our own?
norcalperformanc eS-10

Santa Clara, CA

#153 May 8, 2011
I preferred better the 3.4L twin cam gm instead the 4.3L OHV or also the 3.8L II is faster and stronger than the 4.3L still is all chevy engines and don't take twisted I'm a GM fan 100%
plus if anybody wants to talk about the 5cyl check first the HP/TQ curve,
I'm sure power drops after the 4500 rpms
suck it up

Sherwood Park, Canada

#154 May 14, 2011
I have a 2005 colorado with the 3.5 5 speed z71. And to tell you it is a great truck, it gets around 32 mpg with a mix of city and hiway driving. The power is fine. so until you other bone head sit down and read your true facts about a engine and it's rating i think you should maybe keep you mouth shut.
Thought For The Day

Belle River, Canada

#155 May 14, 2011
Andy wrote:
hey people I5 is ballanced! how long has volvo been making I5's? Oh yea european engineering is way ahead of us!
Wanna see for yourself how far ahead European engineering is--look and listen to the attached link---then shut your face:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/citroen-s...
Thought For The Day

Belle River, Canada

#156 May 14, 2011
suck it up wrote:
I have a 2005 colorado with the 3.5 5 speed z71. And to tell you it is a great truck, it gets around 32 mpg with a mix of city and hiway driving. The power is fine. so until you other bone head sit down and read your true facts about a engine and it's rating i think you should maybe keep you mouth shut.
I am obliged to qualify my previous post by saying, for the record, the GM 5 cylinder engine and the Colorado itself are very good products.
Those who challenge this endorsement have their own reasons for doing so, but that doesn't make them right!
Gm man

Washington, MI

#157 May 14, 2011
suck it up wrote:
This is good
Thought For The Day

Belle River, Canada

#158 May 14, 2011
Gm man wrote:
<quoted text>
This is good
Got anything intelligent to offer besides "This is good"?
Care to enlighten, or is your intent (as usual) simply to interfere?
Chevyguy

Arlington, TX

#159 May 30, 2011
Just got through putting a engine in a 2005 chevy col. 3.5 5l. The truck had 130k on it and never ever had a oil change. Not my truck. Find another motor that would last that long with the factory oil!!! The 4.3 is a great engine as well, I had a s10 with 290k before it gave out and I drove the crap out of it! But at any rate the truck has plenty of power, if it's not enough you need a bigger truck. Engine will out pull what the rest of the truck will hold up to. I work on cars every day and I see more hondas and toys than anything, so jap cars are not bullet proof either. They all have there problems its all about how you take care of it. That's it!!! If your wanting to pull a rv up and down hills you need a bigger truck! Get it!
Gm man

Washington, MI

#160 May 30, 2011
Chevyguy wrote:
Just got through putting a engine in a 2005 chevy col. 3.5 5l. The truck had 130k on it and never ever had a oil change. Not my truck. Find another motor that would last that long with the factory oil!!! The 4.3 is a great engine as well, I had a s10 with 290k before it gave out and I drove the crap out of it! But at any rate the truck has plenty of power, if it's not enough you need a bigger truck. Engine will out pull what the rest of the truck will hold up to. I work on cars every day and I see more hondas and toys than anything, so jap cars are not bullet proof either. They all have there problems its all about how you take care of it. That's it!!! If your wanting to pull a rv up and down hills you need a bigger truck! Get it!
Never had an oil change? Impressive if it's true but it does make it hard to believe.
Thought For The Day

Belle River, Canada

#161 May 30, 2011
Chevyguy wrote:
In our engine rebuilding shop we see dozens of engines totally sludged up and that have failed, where the owner has not changed oil over long periods.
The older model engines--early 90's and before--are generally more tolerant of sludging and neglected oil changes, but the newer engine as a rule are engineered to tighter tolerances and very susceptible to sludging if oil change intervals aren't followed.
Also, there are far better oils available now (synthetics and semi synthetics) which also help, and will withstand longer intervals.
But in the end, if oil isn't changed within reasonable intervals, you're asking for trouble.
Some get lucky, some don't.
Justin

Hamilton, Canada

#162 Jun 3, 2011
No other midsize truck beats the power and towing of the 260hp 4.0v6 Nissan Frontier.
Gm man

Washington, MI

#163 Jun 3, 2011
Justin wrote:
No other midsize truck beats the power and towing of the 260hp 4.0v6 Nissan Frontier.
What about the 300hp Chevy Colorado 5.3 V-8?
Thought For The Day

Belle River, Canada

#164 Jun 4, 2011
The Chevy Colorado with a 5.3 L V8 would be little more than a glorified hotrod, ie, a 'hobby truck' that serves as a second car, goes fast, but not much else.
The 5.3 L engine is a great powerplant, but in a toy pickup like the Colorado?
From a utility perspective it's sadly lacking--can't carry much of a load, the suspension isn't up to dealing with the kind of towing demands a 315 HP V8 engine is capable of, and fuel economy just isn't there.
Gm man

Washington, MI

#165 Jun 4, 2011
Thought For The Day wrote:
The Chevy Colorado with a 5.3 L V8 would be little more than a glorified hotrod, ie, a 'hobby truck' that serves as a second car, goes fast, but not much else.
The 5.3 L engine is a great powerplant, but in a toy pickup like the Colorado?
From a utility perspective it's sadly lacking--can't carry much of a load, the suspension isn't up to dealing with the kind of towing demands a 315 HP V8 engine is capable of, and fuel economy just isn't there.
This can be said of any compact truck
Thought For The Day

Belle River, Canada

#166 Jun 4, 2011
Gm man wrote:
<quoted text>
This can be said of any compact truck
That no brainer was intended to be a profound enlightenment?

BTW--please keep your promise.
Justin

Hamilton, Canada

#167 Jun 12, 2011
Gm man wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the 300hp Chevy Colorado 5.3 V-8?
Well that will surely do it, but we are talking about v6's here. People wanted a V6 in the Colorado instead we get a crappy 5 cylinder? They could have updated the 4.3v6 with more hp, torque, better fuel economy and a better transmission. Instead they went cheap and put in a 5cyl.
I have a Nissan frontier with the 260hp V6 and I love it. Until GM and Ford update their midsize trucks with better V6 engines I will stick with Nissan or Toyota.
Gm man

Washington, MI

#168 Jun 12, 2011
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>Well that will surely do it, but we are talking about v6's here. People wanted a V6 in the Colorado instead we get a crappy 5 cylinder? They could have updated the 4.3v6 with more hp, torque, better fuel economy and a better transmission. Instead they went cheap and put in a 5cyl.
I have a Nissan frontier with the 260hp V6 and I love it. Until GM and Ford update their midsize trucks with better V6 engines I will stick with Nissan or Toyota.
I agree. All the V-6 or I-5 engines in the GM compact trucks are still cast iron blocks with pushrods. I have no problem with pushrods on a V-8, and I don't even mind cast iron blocks on a V-8, but anything smaller should have DOHC with an aluminum block and direct injection.

I think at this point, GM should replace all it's old V-6 or smaller truck engines with the 3.6 LFX V-6 (Camaro engine). At this point, that 3.6 pushes the same power as the aging 5.3 V-8.
justin

Caledonia, Canada

#169 Jul 12, 2011
Gm man wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. All the V-6 or I-5 engines in the GM compact trucks are still cast iron blocks with pushrods. I have no problem with pushrods on a V-8, and I don't even mind cast iron blocks on a V-8, but anything smaller should have DOHC with an aluminum block and direct injection.
I think at this point, GM should replace all it's old V-6 or smaller truck engines with the 3.6 LFX V-6 (Camaro engine). At this point, that 3.6 pushes the same power as the aging 5.3 V-8.
Yeah I wish GM would give us the 3.6L V6 they are using in all their new suvs and midsize sedans in this colorado. OR bring back a modern version of the 4.3 v6 with better efficiency and more power.

I just drove my dad's new silverado and I love my smaller froniter even more because the turn radius on the silverado was terrible for parking and tight spaces. I will never need a full size truck in my lifetime and the average person does not need one either. I don't know why he wanted one
Wilson

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#170 Aug 3, 2011
What's the life expectancy of the 5 cylinder in the Colorado? I'm looking at a 2004 with 98000 miles for $6900. Advice....please!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ceo lg,s gas 12 min linzel scully 1
Honda and Acura High Mileage Stories (Jul '07) 12 hr jleex 538
News Fire Up the PS3 in Anticipation of This SRT Tom... Sun al3abmix 1
News Julian Castro: Clinton emails a 'witch hunt' May 29 Your Ex 88
Ford recalls more than 440,000 cars May 28 Ford Owner 1
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) May 26 iluvmyVolt 10,484
News Itís a Sad Day at Toyota (Jun '10) May 25 Francene 1,152
More from around the web