5 cylinder chevy colorado
sixtyfivechevy

Salt Lake City, UT

#131 May 2, 2010
i have an 06 colorado z71 with a 3.5 straight 5 and i fucken love it...ive towed anything from a 4x4 dodge durango to a 80s ford conversion van that weighed twice my trucks weight for over 100 miles without any problems thru the hills...my truck is pretty darn fast for being a truck..ive got a jet stage 2 chip a kn cold air and a magnaflow catback exhaust and this thing moves..i offroad it regularly and it takes any and all punishment ive thrown its way ...i raced a buddy of mine who had a 98 dodge dakota 318 v8 and i beat him by a truck lenghth...all u who say this 5 cylinder is underpowered are totally wrong...just takes a few minor upgrades to unleash its potential..i love my colorado
Coloradoowner08

College Station, TX

#132 Jun 16, 2010
Who are these ppl to think that a 5 cylinder is a bad idea, who are we to fault Chevy for it? If you dont like it DONT BUY IT! I own a '08 Colorado 4d with the 3.7 5cyl/K&N auto. I get a respectable 23.5 on the highway and 17 in town. The 3.7 has all the power I need and the price was right(You gotta know where to shop)Ive hauled a 12 foot trailer around with scrap metal several times. I think it was a great idea to go with an inline 3.7 instead of a 4.3. I think it has great ponential for any needing a good small truck for runnin around or working
Coloradoowner08

College Station, TX

#133 Jun 16, 2010
Aaron wrote:
What Gm should do is redesign that truck completly and make a 4.0L v6 for it like the Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma. Those trucks are much better than this hunk of junk.
I couldnt bring myself to buy a truck with a foreign brand logo on it.....
Coloradoowner08

College Station, TX

#134 Jun 16, 2010
Judd wrote:
I owned a 2wd reg cab Colorado with the 5 cylinder and it ran 15.6 in the quarter mile, with bad launch due to axle wrap. With slapper bars it would probably take 2-3 tenths off. 15.6 by the way is as fast as any V8 fullsize. Stock S-10's with the 4.3 can't break into the 15's at all.
I don't know why there is so much hatred for 5 cylinders. What is intrinsically bad about them? Nothing. Just pre-conceived notions of imbalance (which is false, they're balance is actually closer to a inline 6 then inline 4). And HP is HP, 220 is greater then 190, period.
And I got an honest 25MPG highway. What V6 s-10 gets that?!
I agree with Judd I own an 08 Colorado w/3.7 and i get 23.5 on the highway with my lead foot, show me a 4.3 that can match it
Coloradoowner08

College Station, TX

#135 Jun 16, 2010
70plyRR wrote:
<quoted text>True – on the other hand they are happy with their rides and more than likely have “chevy” roots and they run deep.
WAAAY Deep :P and ford SHH!! Dont tell my grampa lol
Tyler

Roy, UT

#136 Jun 19, 2010
David wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW, That is actually VERY crappy mileage... Even for towing a boat... I got 15 in my 235k mile original engine'd Jeep Comanche on my last cross country trailer trek. I wish Jeep had made that pickup for more years.
they do you bone head, it's called a RAM
oldweirdh

Germantown, OH

#137 Jul 27, 2010
outafocus wrote:
I cannot believe that even a company as pathetic as GM has CONTINUED to put 5 cylinder engines in that truck. The 4 cylinder engine is underpowered, as it was in the S-10 (this truck is even bigger), and the 5 cylinder just doesn't have enough umph to make it go any better. GM V6s are notoriously unreliable, but at least the vehicle would be able to get out of it's own way as it races to the exit to get to the gas station! They even put this weird little engine in the "small" Hummer!
The 5 cylinder engine is just another example of GM's arrogance, and refusal to do ANYTHING right!
They obviously know not of what they speak. Dead from the neck up. I sold my '91 full size Chevy P/U with the 4.3 V6 with 474,000 hard miles on it. Only repair was a clutch & alternator. Still running & used about 1/2 quart of oil every 1,000 miles. Chevy please keep building these unreliable trucks. Also, its not the number of cylinders, its the displacement.
LOU tucson Arizona

Quitman, AR

#138 Aug 2, 2010
You can read all these idiots who write negative remarks about the 5cyl Chevrolet engine. This engine does what it is made to do and does it well It has more towing power then the 4cyl and keeps up with the 6 cyl.These fools want everything for free or somthing like a rocket I get about 20 mph most of the time and it gets off the line as fast as a truck should. Let these fools smarten up and realize you own a TRUCK not a VET If you are so unhappy with it trade it in. You should have done your home work before you bought one, Now you are sad ,just like a little child. Be greatfull you have a good truck and just shut up.
Butch Williams

Milwaukee, WI

#139 Aug 4, 2010
Tom Loy wrote:
And what bonehead at GM decided to put a 5 cylinder engine into the colorado instead of the 4.3 litre V6? You don't get any better gas mileage than with the 4.3 litre, and, if GM had any sense, they would put the cylinder deactivation in it as well
I have 131000 miles on this engine (2005 colorado)and it works great and get a lot better milage I got out of my old 4.3... I have pulled a truck loaded with firewood as well as trailer loaded with firewood through 18 inches of snow. I average 23 miles per gallon on the highway. This an excellent off road truck that works a farm. You are wrong.
Runnendan

Nashville, TN

#140 Sep 5, 2010
I am looking at buying a 06 crew cab 5 cyl with 120,000 miles on it. The truck runs good and has service records and has been taken care of. How many miles should I exspect before it needs major work.
Robbi

Brooklyn, MI

#141 Sep 12, 2010
Tom Loy wrote:
I agree the GM V6's are reliable. Its just a shame they didn't put one in the colorado. I would have bought one with a V6, but I won't touch a 5 cylinder.
he 4.3l is a very out dated engine and it about time chevy put a high tech engine like the I5 engine. it has dohc and vvt, unlike the v6 (dual overhead cam)(variable valve exhuast timming). ive pulled a tandem axil trailer with a 3000 pound car,(apx 5500 lbs) with the ac on and avg 17.5 mpg. and stayed at 75mph the whole time, never droped speed on any hills,even on s75 comming out of ohio.(a long steep hill) that was with pulling 5500 lbs. and it has more payload than the v8 dodge dakota. on a fame twist test was 250% better than the s10s. my colorado is a 2006 i5 z71 105,000 miles on it all stock. never had a problem and ive drove it hard, go to gravanatuning.com if u need more power in ur colorado. theres a turbo system there that will put out over 415 ft lbs tq and 355 hp.
Heinz Rondorf

Fort Riley, KS

#142 Sep 15, 2010
Tom Loy wrote:
And what bonehead at GM decided to put a 5 cylinder engine into the colorado instead of the 4.3 litre V6? You don't get any better gas mileage than with the 4.3 litre, and, if GM had any sense, they would put the cylinder deactivation in it as well
I can see your point on wanting to keep the 4.3 liter v6. It is a very good ingine. But, looking at the specs of each engine and having owned each one, I would have to say they are pretty simular. The 3.5L Inline 5 has a little more HP than the 4.3L V6, but the biggest difference in the 2 I have noticed is the acceleration at higher speeds. The 4.3L V6 would start getting a little slower on gaining speed around 85MPH, the 3.5L Inline 5 goes to 100-110MPH no problem and does not slow its acceleration down a bit. And I have noticed that the 3.5L Inline 5 has a little better get up and go the the 4.3L V6, but the 4.3L V6 is also very good at getting up and going aswell. I know this could be caused by the transmission, but I looked at both of them and there was not much difference n the 2 transmissions. Also the 3.5L Inline 5 does have a little better gas mileage than the 4.3L V6. Either way, they are both good engines. To tell the truth, I would not mind have either of the engines.
f___ Jap

White House, TN

#143 Nov 20, 2010
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Heavy Chevy! You never had a Jap car I bet!
if you own anything other then a american truck your a joke
heartbeat

Paramus, NJ

#144 Nov 22, 2010
dimensioNzColorado wrote:
<quoted text>
No Offense, But to put a v6 or v8 in a 06 Chevy Colorado would cost u about $7,000-$10,000. They told me somthing about changing me wiring and i think he said my egu or ecu not sure he said I'm looking at like $2,000 right there alone. Also new Transmission, Brakes, and driver terrain... To Much Money. So and Engine swap is out of the question unless u got that kinda money, I sure don't.I own a 2.8liter and i was looking to buy a new engine or possibly a turbocharger for it ... But there is none made to fit, so i called Hahn Autosport and was told a stage 2 turbo kit would cost about 3,800 - 4,000 dollars... The Only Performance out for this truck is a Intake, Exhaust, Super Chip, and Throttle body spacer. Which will only give u roughly 60-70 HP.... whats that gonna do to the 4 cylinder, other then make it just as fast as the 5cyl....
wow i didnt know that you could find a 2.8 4cyl. clue look at the other end of the motor.....bet ya find 2 more cyls. if you actually knew anything about engines than i would expect a response and might pos give you a few tips on helpin that 2.8 (which was a horrible engine) but since you dont i would sugest going to a forum page that you might actually know something about like video games.
heartbeat

Paramus, NJ

#145 Nov 22, 2010
LOU tucson Arizona wrote:
You can read all these idiots who write negative remarks about the 5cyl Chevrolet engine. This engine does what it is made to do and does it well It has more towing power then the 4cyl and keeps up with the 6 cyl.These fools want everything for free or somthing like a rocket I get about 20 mph most of the time and it gets off the line as fast as a truck should. Let these fools smarten up and realize you own a TRUCK not a VET If you are so unhappy with it trade it in. You should have done your home work before you bought one, Now you are sad ,just like a little child. Be greatfull you have a good truck and just shut up.
beautifully said. ive had 4.3s for years and love them but the 3.7 stock is slightly more powerful and econmic.
Gel

Buffalo, NY

#146 Nov 23, 2010
The 3.7L is a dynamically harsh engine, and was not well received in the market with low production numbers. GM should have shoe-horned the much more popular and powerful 4.2L Atlas I-6 into these trucks, it would have at least helped GM keep pace with the Toyota 4.0L which is the benchmark. The 4.2L Atlas was naturally balanced and dynamically mild. Lopping off a cylinder did bad things for the I-5 engine.

They built the 2.8 and 3.7L engines right here in Tonawanda, never did hit planned production capacity on the line though.
ralph

Chattanooga, TN

#147 Jan 4, 2011
I bought a 5 cylinder Colorado new in 2005. 264,000 miles later with no oil leaks and 25 to 26 miles to the gallon, I am a happy man working in the hills of Tennessee.
Travis

Hamilton, Canada

#148 Feb 21, 2011
I just bought a 2010 Nissan Frontier 4x4 with a 4.0L V6. I get 24mpg on the highway with it, it can tow 6000lbs, and it has a locking diff. I just love it, and the truck is made in America.

It also has a 4 doors and a rear bench seat.

This truck is so much better than the Colorado, and grossly outdated Ford Ranger.

If only GM made a V6 for it. A 5cyl isn't going to do any better. They could have at least put their 3.6V6 in it.
colorado owner

United States

#149 Mar 10, 2011
I realy dnt know what all you people are saying, i own a 2004 chevy colorado crew cab truck with that so called five cylinder you are all bagging on and i can say that it runs n drives a whole lot better then a six. Plus that truck comes with two hundred plus hp. So that truck is more then capable of whipping the six out of the water. I have owned the truck since it came out n im riding at about 140k and i havent had a problem with it. I take the truck mudding and its my daily driver. So in my opinion anyone bagging on it just doesnt have the money to afford it and should honestly stay quiet
adam

Hagerstown, MD

#150 Mar 25, 2011
i also have a 05 colorado and previously i had the legendary inline 6 4.0 in my cherokee. I loved my jeep but the colorado is so much smoother and has just as much power when you lay into it. I am a die hard chevy man I have a 85 2wd C-10 with a 327-375 hp that i put in. So i was a little worried about power and its off road capability but to me its all you need if you do not hauling anything major on a regular basis. I have two kids and the four doors make it so easy and its just as big as a full size pick-up inside the cab!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A Better Battery? A Survey of What Might Come a... 1 hr Solarman 1
News Fast & Furious But With The Little Rascals 13 hr ERIC 4
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Wed glasspilot 11,771
News Chevrolet Cobalt under investigation for power-... (Feb '10) Tue Babygirl 61
OP-COM 2012V/ VAUX-COM 120309a Free Download (Oct '15) Jan 17 pisty10 28
News There Won't Be A Donald Trump Inaugural License... Jan 17 Second Amendment ... 3
V11.00.017 Toyota TIS Techstream Free Download (Feb '16) Jan 15 Jdail2002 13
More from around the web