John

Fairview, WV

#231 Apr 19, 2013
Truckin wrote:
It would have made total sense to offer the Colorado with the "Atlas" 4.2L inline-6 since the platform is similar to that of the GMT360 Trailblazer offerings. The 4.3L V6 is a decrepit old offering that needs replacement, the I6 is the way to go for these mid-size vehicles.
The 4.3L engine might be an older engine, but it is far from decrepit. Although it doesn't get the best gas mileage it is reliable, long lasting, and has plenty of power for utility purposes. I own my second S 10 type vehicle with this engine now and have never been disappointed with it, as stated the only problem has ever been the less than optimal fuel mileage, and even then the mileage isn't to bad. On the other hand, I have heard several people complain about the 4.2L inline six having a lack of power compared to other engines for towing and some reliability issues. Just because something is old doesn't mean it should be replaced. If you need any examples look at Ford's attempts to replace their original 7.3L powerstroke diesel engine with newer models, they have yet to come up with one that has the reliability and longevity of the older 7.3L. And I say that from extended experience with Ford diesel engines dating back from the old pre-turbocharged models to the current 6.7L model.
Jashuh

Peoria, IL

#232 May 2, 2013
Why they didn't offer this truck with a vortec v6 is hard to understand - this truck would really be a great vehicle with a good old Chevy v8 or v6.
andrew

Spokane, WA

#233 May 5, 2013
I have a 04 colorado that is a 5 cylinder and I am having troubles with the valves in it. One of my friends suggested that i swap out the 5 cylinder with a 6 cylinder engine. Is that possible?
Tom Loy wrote:
I agree the GM V6's are reliable. Its just a shame they didn't put one in the colorado. I would have bought one with a V6, but I won't touch a 5 cylinder.
Big trucker

Lenox, MA

#234 May 23, 2013
Gm needs to get a four cyl with turbo. That will do it better mpg and power.
Mike

Lexington, KY

#235 Jun 4, 2013
suck it up wrote:
I have a 2005 colorado with the 3.5 5 speed z71. And to tell you it is a great truck, it gets around 32 mpg with a mix of city and hiway driving. The power is fine. so until you other bone head sit down and read your true facts about a engine and it's rating i think you should maybe keep you mouth shut.
Aboslutely I have the same truck but 04, and the thing runs brand new still 107,000 on it. No major or anywher close to it, problems. Great truck!
Zebbster

Winnipeg, Canada

#236 Jun 7, 2013
2006scab2800 wrote:
towed a 3500lb boat from sa to cc texas 11mpg 3rd 3400rpm no problem 70-75 under powered my arse sounds like op prob.
I will never understand you people that refuse to take the extra 10 seconds to compose an intelligible comment that someone can actually decipher (intelligible means one can read it, and it makes some degree of sense).
dieselman 1974

Fayetteville, NC

#237 Jun 9, 2013
I have had them all from the 2.2 to the 502 . I own a 2004 canyon with the 5 cylinder & I like it . its always been true that a inline motor will outlive & usually maintain better than any v series motor not to mention pull a lot harder when loaded . I have been a mechanic for 24yrs & to all who put it down trade it in ! the plain truth is that people that usually buy a truck have no idea of what in the hell they are buying when they purchase one . if the 5cyl wont do it for you then neither did any other small truck you have ever drove that was stock from the factory !
Martin Powell

Corona, CA

#239 Jun 28, 2013
I have grown to absolutely hate my CC, 95kiles and alternator, cam shaft sensors, and valve head just all went out
Martin Powell

Corona, CA

#240 Jun 28, 2013
Martin Powell wrote:
I have grown to absolutely hate my CC, 95kiles and alternator, cam shaft sensors, and valve head just all went out
Also just bought it little more than 30 days ago, so you can imagine my anger.

Since: Nov 12

Lampasas, TX

#241 Jun 28, 2013
I bought a 2006 (back in 2006) brand new 4 door colorado 4x4. I drove it off the lot, and had it back in the shop a week later because it started overheating. I kept the truck for 6 months, of that 6 months I was only able to put about 5k miles on it because it spent 4months in and out of the shop. They never could tell me why it was overheating, other than the fact that the inline 5 couldnt get enough airflow. I will never buy another colorado.
Billy

Miami, FL

#242 Jul 7, 2013
I love my i-5 motor, my colorado truck is fastest truck. If I buy other truck in the future, It must to have I-5 motor...
Billy

Miami, FL

#243 Jul 7, 2013
ah, 2012 colorado ok?.3.7 Liter.
I love my truck
Chevrolet Colorado Resour

Savage, MN

#244 Jul 8, 2013
Chevrolet Colorado Resource Center

142 Auto Classifieds: Chevrolet Colorado
http://allworldauto.com/auto_classifieds/list...

27 Chevrolet Colorado Recalls
http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/chevrolet...

532 Chevrolet Colorado Service Bulletins
http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/chevrolet_co...

5 Chevrolet Colorado Investigations
http://www.allworldauto.com/inv/chevrolet_col...

397 Chevrolet Colorado User Comments
http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/chevrole...
Rob burgendy

Seattle, WA

#246 Aug 17, 2013
David wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW, That is actually VERY crappy mileage... Even for towing a boat... I got 15 in my 235k mile original engine'd Jeep Comanche on my last cross country trailer trek. I wish Jeep had made that pickup for more years.
Thats great gas mileage, for towing? Especially on a smaller truck? Thats fantastic gas mileage, i drive a 1500 and my reg mpg in 16.7 mpg ( i know its different because of engine size and weight ) but by way of comparison i would have no complaints with 11 mpg towing something thats heavier than the truck,( i think colys arent 3500 lbs , not sure though haha)
just need to know

Brattleboro, VT

#247 Aug 18, 2013
I have 05 3.5 inline 5 dose anyone know if this is a interference motor
MITCH HOPKINSVILLE KY

Hopkinsville, KY

#248 Aug 26, 2013
I have 08 coly 4 dr 4 whl drive with 5 cyl,about 130000 miles the engine light came on,had it checked at indp.garage and at chevy dealer and both shops told me it needed new head with harder valves and valve seats. called chevy customer service any was told about a dozen times it was out of warranty,and each time I countered with u put a a weak head on the damn engine, to date I have spent about 2500 dollars an still dont have my truck back.Thinking about class action suit,anyone else had this problem2665
jonathan

United States

#250 Oct 21, 2013
I have a 2008 4x4 crew cab. I get 14 city, 18 hwy. I want to get the exact hp upgraded made for this, assuming it will bring greater mpg as well. Throw some more tips my way people.
Marty

Minneapolis, MN

#251 Nov 17, 2013
I drive a 2005 Colorado with the 5 cyl 3.5 engine. It goes pretty quick. My mileage has been around 20 in the burbs and about 25 on the highway. Only time the mileage fell was a few months ago when the thermostat went out and it was only making it to the first marker on the guage. I had the stat replaced ($200)and now it is riding the middle marker and getting the better mileage again. Anyone know where that guage is supposed to be normally? I was told over the phone by a Chev service person it should be at the 3/4 mark. I had a S 10 with the 2.2 and it got 22 around the burbs and 28-29 on the highway. I loved the little S 10 extended cab, but it was vastly under powered. The Colorado crew cab is fast, comfortable and good looking. It's been reliable and not much has gone wrong. I really like the truck.
West

Douglasville, GA

#252 Nov 27, 2013
Jashuh wrote:
Why they didn't offer this truck with a vortec v6 is hard to understand - this truck would really be a great vehicle with a good old Chevy v8 or v6.
. They did offer a 323ci 8 cyl with 300 hp and 320 lb/ft of torque. Please do a little research before commenting.
Robert

United States

#253 Dec 6, 2013
You have no idea what you're talking about. My Colorado keeps up with my Silverado.
outafocus wrote:
I cannot believe that even a company as pathetic as GM has CONTINUED to put 5 cylinder engines in that truck. The 4 cylinder engine is underpowered, as it was in the S-10 (this truck is even bigger), and the 5 cylinder just doesn't have enough umph to make it go any better. GM V6s are notoriously unreliable, but at least the vehicle would be able to get out of it's own way as it races to the exit to get to the gas station! They even put this weird little engine in the "small" Hummer!
The 5 cylinder engine is just another example of GM's arrogance, and refusal to do ANYTHING right!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CEO to reveal 5-year strategy in early 2014; ke... (Nov '13) 6 hr Bob 13
My experience with Creator C310 15 hr uobd2 1
Hellcat-powered Challenger SRT gets big boost t... Wed Ralph Gilles 2
auto glass repair and replacement (May '12) Wed Zach 2
Malaysia Airlines Is Hemorrhaging Money, Flying... Mon _malon_goblok 6
Michigan weighs whether to bar Tesla Oct 19 reality is a crutch 1
2014 Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot Make Detroit... (Jan '13) Oct 19 ggg 6

Autos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE