Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11770 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#10397 Dec 28, 2014
"When electricity is priced at $.16/kWh,$1 buys 6.25 kWh. PG&E estimates that
kWh produces .459 pounds of CO2. Therefore,$1 worth of electricity produces
2.9 pounds of CO2. "

so, my car produces 6 lbs of co2 per charge (13 kwh's per charge). That's 6 lbs of co2 per 40 miles.

http://www.mountainview.gov/civicax/filebank/...

Average American Driver emits 9,700 lbs of co2 per year in the average gas, family car (driving 12,000 miles).

If I emit 6 lbs of co2 per 40 miles, this means I emit 1,800 lbs of co2 for those same 12,000 miles. So, an average gas car emits 5.4 times more co2 than my car.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/420f08024.pd...

The average light duty truck emits 13,500 lbs of co2 per year, compared to my 1,800 lbs, or 7.5 times more co2 than my car.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#10398 Jan 12, 2015
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#10399 Jan 12, 2015
Chevy Bolt, full EV concept car. May be out by 2017. 200 mile range.

http://insideevs.com/official-chevrolet-bolt-...

The main thing to remember is that GM has always underplayed the range in their plug in's. The first Volts were advertised at 36 mile range but almost everybody reported 40+. The 2013's and newer were advertised at 38 mile range but owners of those cars constantly achieve 45+.

The Spark actually is advertised with a range slightly less than the Leaf, but achieves 10 - 16 more miles in real world driving.

http://insideevs.com/real-world-test-shows-ch...

So, a reported 200 mile range could work out to about 225 miles. And that is with a thermal management system that the Leaf doesn't have.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#10401 Jan 14, 2015
Did I mention that the 2011 Volt received the Most Reliable award for the fewest customer complaints in its' category?

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependabilit...
Joe Balls

Honolulu, HI

#10403 Jan 16, 2015
What is wrong with the Prius? I've driven one for two years without a problem. I just wish they would make a pickup truck version of it, something like the Subaru Rave. I don't see Volts on the highway here, but a lot of Prius drivers.
Over Priced Cruze

Trumbull, CT

#10404 Jan 16, 2015
Sceptic wrote:
When you don't sell many cars, you're not gonna have many complaints.
Then you can brag about your car's reliability.
Volt lover hasn't figured that out yet.
Over Priced Cruze

Trumbull, CT

#10405 Jan 16, 2015
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Next Gen Volt. Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =liM5bOI4GtIXX&list=PLMKk4 lSYoM-xCLl8EEn8Q1INLE2vb6y7F#t =60
Specs:
http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet-volt-gall...
Pics:
http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/...
Interior pics. All screens are totally different and all the controls look different.
The US taxpayer is sure to get hosed again!
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#10406 Jan 17, 2015
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Did I mention that the 2011 Volt received the Most Reliable award for the fewest customer complaints in its' category?
How is the bit in the box?
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#10407 Jan 17, 2015
In 1963 The Corvair received many awards as the best rear engine flat six cylinder car made in the United States. The Corvair and the Volt have much in common in that they both catered to a very small market, they both were seen as energy savers and they both had a very short shelf life as far as sales went.

Give me an address and I will visit the Bit in the Box.
Joe Balls

Honolulu, HI

#10408 Jan 17, 2015
Silent Echo wrote:
In 1963 The Corvair received many awards as the best rear engine flat six cylinder car made in the United States. The Corvair and the Volt have much in common in that they both catered to a very small market, they both were seen as energy savers and they both had a very short shelf life as far as sales went.
Give me an address and I will visit the Bit in the Box.

Corvair? I loved those cars. I had a 63 and a 64 and they were great cars. handling was great, IF you put wider tires on it, and the only problem with the engine was the push-rod tubes leaked oil. They fixed that when they came out with after-market Telflon seals a few years later. I had the coupe with the automatic and the van with the manual trans and wish I still had them. Maybe it's just me, but I loved the Ford Pinto too, with the 2.4 Brazillian motor.
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#10409 Jan 17, 2015
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text>
Corvair? I loved those cars. I had a 63 and a 64 and they were great cars. handling was great, IF you put wider tires on it, and the only problem with the engine was the push-rod tubes leaked oil. They fixed that when they came out with after-market Telflon seals a few years later. I had the coupe with the automatic and the van with the manual trans and wish I still had them. Maybe it's just me, but I loved the Ford Pinto too, with the 2.4 Brazillian motor.
Actually the Corvair had a couple of problems some that were addressed in the second generation 1965, some that were never addressed. Problem (1) with the original was that there was no camber bar on the rear and the rear wheels tended to fold under during hard cornering. Problem (2) was that the heater had a bad problem with getting engine fumes into the interior. Problem (3) was the lack of a fan belt guide on many of the early models. I once heard it said that if Chevy could have brought out the 1965 under a new name, perhaps the "American Porsche" could have survived and prospered, however Ralph Nader was mostly likely the final nail in the corvair coffin. I too had a 1962 Monza and later had the engine replaced with a 1963 Spider engine and had a ball with mine. I had many friends who owned and still own corvairs, many of them members of CORSA owners group.
Joe Balls

Honolulu, HI

#10410 Jan 17, 2015
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the Corvair had a couple of problems some that were addressed in the second generation 1965, some that were never addressed. Problem (1) with the original was that there was no camber bar on the rear and the rear wheels tended to fold under during hard cornering. Problem (2) was that the heater had a bad problem with getting engine fumes into the interior. Problem (3) was the lack of a fan belt guide on many of the early models. I once heard it said that if Chevy could have brought out the 1965 under a new name, perhaps the "American Porsche" could have survived and prospered, however Ralph Nader was mostly likely the final nail in the corvair coffin. I too had a 1962 Monza and later had the engine replaced with a 1963 Spider engine and had a ball with mine. I had many friends who owned and still own corvairs, many of them members of CORSA owners group.
I never had or heard of those problems. Hot Rod Magazine once ran a slolom course with the Corvair pitted against the Corvette, and the Corvair won ! All's they did was change the tires, so that's what I did, and added some reverse rims. Handled like a slot car after that. Yes, Nader killed some good cars off, he should have been challenged and sued by both GM and Ford. One time my friend rolled one in a curve, then end over end down a steep hill and landed on the roof in a big pile of leaves. We flipped it back on it's wheels and drove off, only had a hand-sized dent on the roof above the passenger door. His mom never found out.(It was her car) I always wanted a 65 but they were already being scooped up by collectors so I went with the Mustang.
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#10411 Jan 19, 2015
ReVOLTing Lover, come on out and play. I am sure that you have your batteries charged meaning another 35 miles for your volt and two days for your pacemaker. Perhaps you can get the bit out of the box and come as a couple?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#10412 Jan 21, 2015
From the link. How J.D. Power tracks customer complaints.

"Overall dependability is determined by the level of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality."

That is what is called "an average". When a car has a host of problems, it averages out in the PP100. When a vehicle doesn't have a host of problems, it has a lower score, thus reflecting higher quality.

Of course, we shouldn't forget that the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in fewest complaints in this catagory have been around for almost half of a century. Plenty of time to get their complaints per 100 down. The 2011 was the very first Volt ever.

This just re-affirms the fact that the 2011 Chevy Volt was named the best engineered car in the world.

http://earthtechling.com/2011/04/aei-names-ch...

The SAE is the world's premier automotive engineering group. I would think they know more about cars than all of us put together.

Of course, European automobile experts are considered the best. They named the Volt European Car Of The Year in 2012. First American car to ever receive this award.

This also re-affirms the fact that the Chevy Volt was the most loved car by it's owners for 3 years running. The highest rating ever achieved by any car in history. Tesla is now number one, but the Volt still beats out all others.
WWE CRASHCAR 2015

Crompond, NY

#10413 Jan 22, 2015
iluvmyVolt wrote:
"Overall dependability is determined by the level of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality."
That is what is called "an average". When a car has a host of problems, it averages out in the PP100. When a vehicle doesn't have a host of problems, it has a lower score, thus reflecting higher quality.
Of course, we shouldn't forget that the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in fewest complaints in this catagory have been around for almost half of a century. Plenty of time to get their complaints per 100 down. The 2011 was the very first Volt ever.
This just re-affirms the fact that the 2011 Chevy Volt was named the best engineered car in the world.
The SAE is the world's premier automotive engineering group. I would think they know more about cars than all of us put together.
Of course, European automobile experts are considered the best. They named the Volt European Car Of The Year in 2012. First American car to ever receive this award.
This also re-affirms the fact that the Chevy Volt was the most loved car by it's owners for 3 years running. The highest rating ever achieved by any car in history. Tesla is now number one, but the Volt still beats out all others.
You are allways quoting JD Powers and KKB; you're very easily duped!
Barack the Yellow

Honolulu, HI

#10414 Jan 22, 2015
Not to pee on anyone's cornflakes, but are the cars tested Hybrids, or all-electric? Because I don't think any of the cars mentioned can beat out the Prius, or Nissan Leaf.
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#10415 Jan 22, 2015
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Interesting facts for a car that people are not buying. Hell, chevy could not sell them when gas was at $3.00 a gallon, now they can not even give them away. Notice the lack of advertising for the Volt? Does the term good money after bad have a meaning here?
Barack the Yellow

Honolulu, HI

#10416 Jan 22, 2015
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting facts for a car that people are not buying. Hell, chevy could not sell them when gas was at $3.00 a gallon, now they can not even give them away. Notice the lack of advertising for the Volt? Does the term good money after bad have a meaning here?
I've only seen one or two Volts on the road here, but LOTS of the Prius and Leaf.
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#10417 Jan 23, 2015
Barack the Yellow wrote:
<quoted text> I've only seen one or two Volts on the road here, but LOTS of the Prius and Leaf.
I know one man who owns a volt and he treats it more like others treat an antique car, he brings it out on nice days and runs up and down the main road in our city to be seen much like the motorcycle rider dressed like Santa Clause did on the same street several times before Christmas. This man is an honest person (unlike volt lover) and admits that the Volt gets about 35 miles on a charge, less in the cold because of the nature of the batteries. Despite the limitations of the Volt this man really likes his for the true nature of the car, that being one of a very unique and somewhat impractical car that was more suited to local short hops than it was to being a family car. One day a total electric car might be an answer, however, as of this time and any time in the foreseeable future there is nothing of the infrastructure that would be needed to make these cars practical as a daily commuter capable of going more than about 30 to 35 miles back and forth to work and doing the ever present side trips and stops that are necessary in daily life.
Barack the Yellow

Honolulu, HI

#10418 Jan 23, 2015
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
I know one man who owns a volt and he treats it more like others treat an antique car, he brings it out on nice days and runs up and down the main road in our city to be seen much like the motorcycle rider dressed like Santa Clause did on the same street several times before Christmas. This man is an honest person (unlike volt lover) and admits that the Volt gets about 35 miles on a charge, less in the cold because of the nature of the batteries. Despite the limitations of the Volt this man really likes his for the true nature of the car, that being one of a very unique and somewhat impractical car that was more suited to local short hops than it was to being a family car. One day a total electric car might be an answer, however, as of this time and any time in the foreseeable future there is nothing of the infrastructure that would be needed to make these cars practical as a daily commuter capable of going more than about 30 to 35 miles back and forth to work and doing the ever present side trips and stops that are necessary in daily life.
I know nothing about the Volt but 35 miles per charge is terrible. Even the all-electric Leaf can go a lot further than that. I talk to Leaf owners all the time and they say they go anywhere they want to . I have a Prius, and it has a computer that tracks mileage among other things. I'm getting about 65 MPG and have done so since we bought it two years ago. They are advertised at 50MPG, but I've talked to several other Prius owners and they say the same, about 65 MPG. Living on an island. the average speed is 29 miles an hour, no matter how you drive, freeway or not. Maybe that has something to do with the avg MPG. My next car will be a Nissan Leaf and hopefully my solar existing panels will be enough to charge it. Electric vehicles are the way to go, the old internal combustion engine is outdated. When they get the battery technology down, look out ! People on this thread say the Prius is junk and I'd like to hear why. The electric has more torgue than a gas engine, it's quiet, I'm just waiting for Toyota to make a pickup version of it. Locomotives use electric power for a reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) Wed diyobd2 15
5x127mm Wheel Spacers Features & Details Wed newtuckspring 1
MOT Test of Tyre&Auto Southbourne Group? Tue louiecwel 3
Craiglist/eBay scam (Mar '12) Tue Natta 178
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Feb 19 Squiggs 1 300
News This Wonderful And Weird 1966 Renault R8 Got Sa... Feb 16 Xstain Mullah Fra... 3
Buy Launch X431 V Tablet Full System Diagnostic... Feb 16 My Car repair Park 3
OP-COM 2012V/ VAUX-COM 120309a Free Download (Oct '15) Jan '17 pisty10 28
More from around the web