Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: taintedgreen.com 9,222

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Full Story
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9999 Jun 12, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text>I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the Leaf battery failures. It's been going on for some time now.
A fellow I've known for many years has a 2012 Volt, and had a battery replaced under warranty late last year.
He was told by his dealer the cost was over $15000, and they had to also replace a control module which cost another $5500.

Regarding Leaf failures. Apparently there have been a few early model Failures, and Nissan is replacing them under warranty too.
Also, Nissan made a change in battery design in 2012, and this has supposedly solved the problem.
Root

Richmond Hill, Canada

#10000 Jun 12, 2014
I hate people who don't do what I tell them and I especially hate Canadians. I do everything I can to guard this forum from those kinds of people.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10001 Jun 12, 2014
Root wrote:
I hate people who don't do what I tell them and I especially hate Canadians. I do everything I can to guard this forum from those kinds of people.
lol
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10002 Jun 12, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
"Hello Jason,
Glad to hear that you might get yours this week - great to meet you this past Saturday in Scottsdale.
July 12th, 28704 Miles: Noticed the Leaf capacity meter dropped the fourth bar.
July 21st: Took the Leaf in for the software update and to request the battery replacement. Delayed a little to work around my schedule and the Nissan Tech's vacation schedule.
July 30th : Case opened up for Battery Replacement. They said that they had to order a battery, and it would take about 4-5 weeks to get here - end of August or first week of September. The rep reported that he would follow up with me every week to let me know of any status changes.
Aug 7th: Nissan representative called to report that there was no change in the ETA
Aug 14th: Same representative called, no status change
Aug 21st: Same representative called, no status change
As with Jason, they confirmed that they'll need the car for a couple of days and I would get a loaner during that time. I was impressed with the level of service I've received on this so far. I appreciate the calls, even though there has been no status change. I've asked a couple of questions along the way about the process, and got good response.
One thing that impresses me about the car is how well it performs even with a low battery. Acceleration appears to be the same, all the way down to VLBW. I kind of wondered if at some point my acceleration would be limited or my regen would be limited, but no change except for the lowered range.
However, as I've noted in other threads, the LBW and VLBW warnings come at the same GID count as a new battery, so you have proportionately less range (psychologically, because you 'fear' LBW :) because the distance between approximately 74% of your capacity is between Full and LBW (195 to 50 GIDs) versus 82% for a new pack (281 to 50 GIDs). If you aren't comfortable using the car below LBW (like my wife) then this exaggerates the range loss."
Haven't really been interested in the Leaf battery problems so really haven't kept close watch on it. Just talked to a buddy that follows this stuff over lunch and he said most of the newer Leaf battery failures are occurring in hot weather states. Nissan evidently changed the chemistry of the batteries and started making newer units in April.
Root

Richmond Hill, Canada

#10003 Jun 12, 2014
I made a mistake. Leaf battery problems happened right after Leaf was launched back in 2011. Yes, hot weather areas were where the few failures happened. Nissan quickly corrected the problem and since then, failures don't happen any more. I learned that from Doctor Google. The friend I mentioned was a lie.
Canadians get me so upset I get confused.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10004 Jun 12, 2014
Lol
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#10005 Jun 12, 2014
Sincere thanks to whoever sent flowers to my wife. I get excited about that obviously acceptable topic about the frog and all its vile and exciting language. We've been making love to frogs since the 70's.
Like many other topics and comments appearing lately, it was way in line in terms of civility and Topix code of conduct.
It appears that I have taken advantage of proxy posting software and rather loose controls by my wife's staff to anonymously excite me with sensual and sexual comments.
I hope that Topix will now monitor more diligently here and elsewhere so as to eliminate this unacceptable conduct by that few.
If such unacceptable conduct continues, I fully intend to take the issue directly to Topix senior management the CEO Suprman and the Queen. I will tell on every person here!
Enough is enough. I love the Volt.
Root

Richmond Hill, Canada

#10006 Jun 13, 2014
I have a confession to make. I am a gay American man and I am especially fond of young boys. This is something I should have confessed to a long time ago.
I owe everyone an apology.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10007 Jun 13, 2014
Did we find out Leaf hit the road in 2010 (not 2011) and the newer versions still have battery problems yet?
Over Priced Spark

Trumbull, CT

#10008 Jun 13, 2014
Root wrote:
I have a confession to make. I am a gay American man and I am especially fond of young boys. This is something I should have confessed to a long time ago.
I owe everyone an apology.
That's very sweet Root. Now go out and get yourself a Volt, drive the gas guzzler to Santa Clara, California, and hook up with iluvmyVolt. You two will make a wonderful couple.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10009 Jun 13, 2014
Lol I would have to drive a Volt because the Leaf wouldn't make it.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#10010 Jun 13, 2014
Root wrote:
Did we find out Leaf hit the road in 2010 (not 2011) and the newer versions still have battery problems yet?
Leaf "hit the road" in very late 2010, and really didn't get established sales wise until 2011.
Battery problems surfaced much later on when a small number of units experienced reduced capacity (note that batteries weren't "failing" as you inferred) in high mileage units and in parts of the country where unusually warm climates are the norm.
As a result, Nissan recently initiated a free replacement program for anyone having similar problems with their 2011/2012 Leaf batteries
Root, typically you seem determined to paint this issue as a very serious one--and that just isn't true.
Incidentally, Leaf gets its batteries from the same company as GM does for the Volt.

One question for you while I'm here--what's the deal with your recent "confession".
Are we seeing a a picture of the real Root now? Have you decided to come clean about all your previous odd behaviour?
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#10011 Jun 13, 2014
Root wrote:
Lol I would have to drive a Volt because the Leaf wouldn't make it.
You were told to drive a gas guzzler--Volt!
Leaf isn't a gas guzzler.
Besides, LuvmyVolt wouldn't partner up with you anyway if you turned up in Santa Clara with a Leaf.
Advice

Montréal, Canada

#10012 Jun 13, 2014
Leaf "hit the road" in very late 2010, and really didn't get established sales wise until 2011.
Battery problems surfaced much later on when a large number of units experienced reduced capacity (note that batteries were "failing" as you inferred) in low mileage units and in parts of the country where unusually warm climates are the norm.
As a result, Nissan recently initiated a free replacement program for anyone having similar problems with their 2011/2012 Leaf batteries
Root, typically you seem determined to paint this issue as a very serious one--and that is true.
Incidentally, Leaf gets its batteries from a different company as GM does for the Volt. This is why I believe the Volt is so much better.

One question for you while I'm here--what's the deal with your recent "confession". This gets me excited!
Are we seeing a a picture of the real Root now? Have you decided to come clean about all your previous odd behaviour? Come up here to Canada and meet my wife and our friends. We can have big circle jerk and eat cup cakes. I will let you drive my Volt and you can see how it gets 500 mpg!
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#10014 Jun 13, 2014
LOL.
We'll take the spoofed post from "Advice" in "Montreal" as Root's answer to the question in 10010!
The "confession" is real.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10016 Jun 13, 2014
Uh oh. Now we have to add who makes the batteries. to the list. Poor bastard.

Here we go with the updated version…

Leaf hit the road in 2010 not 2011.
Newer versions of the Leaf are still experiencing battery problems.
The batteries are not made by the same people as the Volt.
Yikes!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10017 Jun 13, 2014
Advice wrote:
Battery problems surfaced much later on when a large number of units experienced reduced capacity (note that batteries were "failing" as you inferred) in low mileage units and in parts of the country where unusually warm climates are the norm.
Root, typically you seem determined to paint this issue as a very serious one--and that is true.
Incidentally, Leaf gets its batteries from a different company as GM does for the Volt. This is why I believe the Volt is so much better.
One question for you while I'm here--what's the deal with your recent "confession". This gets me excited!
Are we seeing a a picture of the real Root now? Have you decided to come clean about all your previous odd behaviour? Come up here to Canada and meet my wife and our friends. We can have big circle jerk and eat cup cakes. I will let you drive my Volt and you can see how it gets 500 mpg!
Sounds about right. Did the frog survive your wife's bottom side? lol
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#10018 Jun 13, 2014
Root wrote:
Yikes!
Leaf "hit the road" in late 2010.
Please note post 10010, per my comments.
Leaf sold exactly 19 units in Dec 2010 when introduced.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#10019 Jun 13, 2014
Root wrote:
Yikes!
The Leaf’s battery cell is manufactured by NEC,and assembled by LG Chem is a pouch type cell with stacked elements, a LiMn2O4 cathode from Nippon Denko, a graphite anode from Hitachi Chemicals, a Celgard PP dry separator, and an EC type LiPF6 electrolyte from Tomiyama.

The Volt’s battery cell is manufactured by LG Chem, is a pouch type cell with stacked elements, a LiMn2O4 cathode from Nikki Catalysis, a hard carbon anode (which is more robust and has better/longer calendar life properties than the graphite anode in the Leaf’s battery cell) from Kureha, a Celgard PP dry/SRS separator, and a PC type LiPF6 electrolyte produced in-house by LG Chem.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#10021 Jun 13, 2014
Root wrote:
Yikes!
The problem with Leaf batteries is a small one.
It was most prevailent in 2011 and 2012.
The issue a gradual loss of some capacity over time, not battery failure.
It occurs in and confined to areas with very hot climates, and only occurred in vehicles with unusually high mileage.

"Though there have been 112 documented cases of battery capacity loss of one or more bars (as of 10/13/2012), only 58 capacity loss cases have been reported to Nissan to our knowledge. The geographic breakdown of these cases is: Arizona - 53, Texas - 23, California - 31, Oklahoma - 1, Hong Kong - 1, Spain - 1, Unknown - 2. The breakdown by number of capacity bars lost is: one bar - 72, two bars - 29, three bars - 9, four bars - 2. Of the 40 Leafs that have lost 2 capacity bars, 33 are in Arizona, 4 in Texas and 3 in California. All of the Leafs that have lost 3 or 4 capacity bars are in Arizona."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Honda and Acura High Mileage Stories (Jul '07) 4 hr CarMan07 536
Obama's plan: 'Deport felons, not families' 10 hr WeTheSheeple 129
Craiglist/eBay scam (Mar '12) Thu Oldman 133
Milpitas limo Services (Dec '12) Nov 26 Wally West 4
Honda builds its 300 millionth motorcycle Nov 26 Keith 1
Limousine town car service (Feb '13) Nov 26 Mike 7
Los Angeles: Mullen 700e proves there's no coda... Nov 25 Mitchell 1

Autos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE