Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 10484 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Advice

Toronto, Canada

#10048 Jun 14, 2014
My wife has taken another dump. She is losing weight and this means we can start getting our Volt in the 800MPG range from the 600MPG range. PARTY!!

http://www.datzhott.com/wp-content/uploads/20...
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#10049 Jun 14, 2014
These computers are so confusing! Here is the picture of my wife's product.

http://www.ericdoeringer.com/shitstream/shits...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10050 Jun 14, 2014
Leaf is now under recall for inverters, gay advice is still furious.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#10051 Jun 15, 2014
For those interested in hearing the truth about the Nissan Leaf inverter recall, here's a quote from Green Car Reports:

"Nissan is recalling a small number of 2014 Nissan Leaf electric cars to replace the car's inverter assembly.

Just 196 cars are affected, all build during a ten-day period in April. Nissan puts the recall down to an out-of-specification control circuit board being fitted during this time.

This circuit board component could result in the electric motor stopping without warning--though no cases have been reported to Nissan.

Nissan started contacting owners of affected vehicles in late May, so they can bring their vehicles to a certified Nissan Leaf dealer for repair. The inverter assembly will be replaced with no charge for parts or labor.

During this time, Leaf owners will be offered a loaner vehicle at no charge.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#10052 Jun 15, 2014
It's interesting to note that Nissan is being up front about recalls for lLeaf.
There are three to date--a small one for inverter replacement; another small one for weld repairs on a few hundred units; and an air bag recall for passenger seat sensor issues.

Volt, on the other hand has had over 200 undisclosed TSBs of which pundits claim at least 7 should have been recalls but were not communicated as such.
Considering GMs record for not disclosing serious (killer) problems over ten years, hiding problems from the public comes as no surprise.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Dirty Canada”

Since: Oct 13

Richmond Hill, Canada

#10053 Jun 15, 2014
Can't believe the Leaf has so many problems. Glad we bought the Volt. No problemsand it saves money.
Over Priced Spark

Trumbull, CT

#10054 Jun 15, 2014
Advice wrote:
It's interesting to note that Nissan is being up front about recalls for lLeaf.
Volt has had over 200 undisclosed TSBs of which pundits claim at least 7 should have been recalls but were not communicated as such.
Considering GMs record for not disclosing serious (killer) problems over ten years, hiding problems from the public comes as no surprise.
How many more will die before Government Motors tells the truth?
Craig

Oklahoma City, OK

#10055 Jun 15, 2014
If the the Leaf's battery overheats and blows up will the Nissan battery breakdown insurance policy cover it?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#10057 Jun 15, 2014
Went to the A's vs Yankee's game Saturday night. A little twist to the trip. Picked up my son on the way. So we (my other son included) took my car for a trip totaling 86 miles round trip.

I kind of goofed (again) and put the car back in electric mode to late and ended up with 8 miles remaining on my charge. Still had great numbers. However, we were running late and most of my miles were freeway at 70 mph or higher with the AC on. Heater on on the way home.

Electric mode:
32 miles E + 8 miles remaining - 7.9 kwh's used
$0.77 for E.
$0.024 per mile.
170.8 mpg - gas is at $4.10

Gas mode:
54 miles in gas mode - 1.39 gals.- 38.9 mpg in gas mode. Had I put the car in electric mode when I should have, I would have come close to 40 mpg.

Combined:
$5.70 gas
$0.77 E
$6.40 total for 86 miles.
$0.074 per mile overall.
All but 7 of the 86 miles were at 70 + mph with the AC or heater on. Part of the trip with 3 adults and all of the trip with at least 2 adults.

55.4 mpg combined.

A Prius, driving at those speed would get about 43 - 45 mpg at best, 10 mpg less than my older, less efficient Volt. A Leaf ..... well, even a brand new Leaf would not have been able to take that trip.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10058 Jun 15, 2014
Over Priced Spark wrote:
<quoted text>
How many more will die before Government Motors tells the truth?
Toyota is telling the truth. In fact they just issued a recall to fix a recall from an earlier recall. Now if that isn't telling the truth I don't know what is. Toyota's recalls are good.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#10059 Jun 15, 2014
Craig wrote:
If the the Leaf's battery overheats and blows up will the Nissan battery breakdown insurance policy cover it?
With the possibility of old Sparky the leaf electrifying its passengers in a catastrophic battery failure, one would hope so.

“Oh Canada”

Since: Feb 14

Windsor, Canada

#10060 Jun 15, 2014
We looked at a Leaf but passed because it looked so funny and it was very llimited so we went with the Volt. I am sad to see Leaf ghost aving so many problems. I though it was an average car.
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#10061 Jun 15, 2014
Interesting.
There are 30 pages of TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) addressing a wide variety of problems with Leaf since 2011 to the present.
At 29 TSBs per page, this adds up to 500 technical issues with Leaf in just over three years.
So in as much as these problems are rarely if ever discussed in this forum, it certainly looks like Leaf isn't nearly as trouble free as some would have us believe. In the past I have commented that TSBs mean nothing and I stick with that. My Volt is doing great and so is my wife.
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#10062 Jun 15, 2014
For those interested in hearing the truth about the Nissan Leaf inverter recall, here's a quote from Green Car Reports:

"Nissan is recalling a small number of 2014 Nissan Leaf electric cars to replace the car's inverter assemblyand protect the ocupans from certain death."

Just 2196 cars are affected, all built during a fifty-day period in April. Nissan puts the recall down to an out-of-specification control circuit board being fitted tight during this time.

This circuit board component could result in the electric motor blowing up and stopping without warning--causing certain death though no cases have been reported to Nissan.

Nissan started contacting owners of affected vehicles in late May, so they can bring their vehicles to a certified Nissan Leaf dealer for repairs. The inverter assembly will be replaced with no charge for parts or labor.Labour or Labor. Custmer will be screwed for fifteen days.

During this time, Leaf owners will be offered a loaner Volt at no chargeso they can drive in style.
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#10063 Jun 15, 2014
It's interesting to note that Nissan is being up front about recalls for lLeaf. Ileaf is the upperend model of the Leaf.
There are thirty three to date--a small one for inverter replacement to prevent human death; another small one for weld repairs on a few hundred units that will kill you; and an air bag recall for passenger seat sensor issues that will cause you to die a horrid death.

Volt, on the other hand has had only 200 disclosed TSBs that I found because they are disclosed of which pundits claim none should have been recalls and were communicated as such.
Considering Nissan's record for not disclosing serious (killer) problems over ten years, hiding problems from the public comes as no surprise. This is why I feel safe in my Volt and it has a powerful inverter.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#10064 Jun 15, 2014
Advice wrote:
It's interesting to note that Nissan is being up front about recalls for lLeaf. Ileaf is the upperend model of the Leaf.
There are thirty three to date--a small one for inverter replacement to prevent human death; another small one for weld repairs on a few hundred units that will kill you; and an air bag recall for passenger seat sensor issues that will cause you to die a horrid death.
Volt, on the other hand has had only 200 disclosed TSBs that I found because they are disclosed of which pundits claim none should have been recalls and were communicated as such.
Considering Nissan's record for not disclosing serious (killer) problems over ten years, hiding problems from the public comes as no surprise. This is why I feel safe in my Volt and it has a powerful inverter.
Oh no. Are we beating this TSB subject to death again? We spent about 25 pages discussing this stupid subject before.

TSB's are nothing but notes for the techs to check when a car goes in for routine mtc.

Once again,(sheeeeeesh), the Volt has never been recalled. The charging cord was recalled as were almost all plug in cords because of a change in standards. The Volt cage recall was completely voluntary and did not effect the warranty. Most ignored it, as did I. Insurance rates are the same for all pre-battery cage upgrade Volts, whether they upgraded or not.

All plug ins that are upgraded are done when owners take their cars in for routine mtc. None of the upgrades are mandatory and warranty is no issue.

We beat this dog to death before. Why is it coming back to life?

Post 5825:

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet/TH...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#10065 Jun 15, 2014
OK .... wow .... tried to end my 5 part Volt reliability report. Finally getting to it.

We all agree that the internal combustion engine in the Volt will last much longer than in a gas car. We all agree that the battery is awesome because of the thermal management system / charging system built into the Volt. We all agree that the Volt's planetary is much more reliable than a gas cars 4 to 7 planetary's. Now, on to software.

Software. Some folks think the Volt software is going to implode around the same time that the batteries all fail. Really? Given that it is software that takes the place of a transmission, I don't think so.

Software makes the e motor spin backwards in place of reverse gears. Software makes the e motor feel like a low gear when the foot is taken off the accelerator, in place of gears. This creates more regenerative actions. Software disconnects the traction motor when in N, etc. Software takes the place of gears. Software makes the Volt feel as if its' brakes are functioning, when in fact, it is the E motor that is causing the car to come to a stop.

Software may go bad, but in no way is it as expensive as rebuilding an automatic transmission.$5,000, remember?

Enough said.

So, is the Volt 100% trouble free? Of course not. Nobody ever claimed that. Does the Volt have the lowest customer complaint record in its' class? Yes. Those are facts.

Beating an old subject to death .... these TSB's .... doesn't change the fact that the 2011 Chevy Volt is the least troublesome car in its' class, which includes the Leaf and the Prius of all types. It also includes the Civic and Corolla.

This is an award given to the car with the fewest customer complaints. So, beating an old subject to death about the 2011 Volt only makes the other cars look worse because they are.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014...

Most reliable is most reliable.
Craig

Oklahoma City, OK

#10066 Jun 16, 2014
Advice wrote:
"Nissan is recalling a small number of 2014 Nissan Leaf electric cars to replace the car's inverter assemblyand protect the ocupans from certain death."
Just 2196 cars are affected, all built during a fifty-day period in April. Nissan puts the recall down to an out-of-specification control circuit board being fitted tight during this time.
This circuit board component could result in the electric motor blowing up and stopping without warning--causing certain death though no cases have been reported to Nissan.
Nissan started contacting owners of affected vehicles in late May, so they can bring their vehicles to a certified Nissan Leaf dealer for repairs. The inverter assembly will be replaced with no charge for parts or labor.Labour or Labor. Custmer will be screwed for fifteen days.
During this time, Leaf owners will be offered a loaner Volt at no chargeso they can drive in style.
I'm concerned about this Leaf inverter recall you speak of. If a Leaf pulls up next to me at a light and the inverter motor blows can it punch through the metal and fly into my car?
Volt Complaints

Windsor, Canada

#10067 Jun 16, 2014
The Chev Volt is the wrost vehicle I've owned
by Hilal from Dearborn Heights, Mi |

Some people are having positive feed on the 2013 Chevy Volt. Take it from me the truth about this car. I have been leasing vehicle every two years for the past twenty two years and this is the worst night mare I have ever leased and stuck with. Had the car for Six months and taken to the dealer six times, once a month. Problems started with the charge hold, first two month it was holding 40miles a charge and dropped to 34miles. When the cold weather hit, it dropped to 22miles a charge and under. The charging door issue, wont open most of the time, so using gas again, serviced twice for that. Braking system very dangerous unsure how it passed the government testing. On slippery surfaces this vehicle will slide and wont stop, anti lock system kicks on about two seconds after it needed it to and still slides. Blind spots all over the vehicle. heating system take a long time to heat the car. Windows always fogging up unless the defrost is always on full fan speed. Wiper blade design is horrible. There is a lot more to list but those the most important for to me. If you live in a cold or snow stated the car is not for you. I think Chevy made a big mistake.
Worse than the Vega

Trumbull, CT

#10068 Jun 16, 2014
Volt Complaints wrote:
The Chev Volt is the wrost vehicle I've owned
by Hilal from Dearborn Heights, Mi |
Some people are having positive feed on the 2013 Chevy Volt. Take it from me the truth about this car. I have been leasing vehicle every two years for the past twenty two years and this is the worst night mare I have ever leased and stuck with. Had the car for Six months and taken to the dealer six times, once a month. Problems started with the charge hold, first two month it was holding 40miles a charge and dropped to 34miles. When the cold weather hit, it dropped to 22miles a charge and under. The charging door issue, wont open most of the time, so using gas again, serviced twice for that. Braking system very dangerous unsure how it passed the government testing. On slippery surfaces this vehicle will slide and wont stop, anti lock system kicks on about two seconds after it needed it to and still slides. Blind spots all over the vehicle. heating system take a long time to heat the car. Windows always fogging up unless the defrost is always on full fan speed. Wiper blade design is horrible. There is a lot more to list but those the most important for to me. If you live in a cold or snow stated the car is not for you. I think Chevy made a big mistake.
This is sure to send the obsessed iluvmyVolt on a cut and paste posting binge. It took GM years to try and work the bugs out of this dog. The fact is the Volt is an over engineered maintenance ticking time bomb.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Perfomance all-season tires: Performance tires,... (Feb '09) 1 hr Gerald Vonberger 6
ceo lg,s gas 17 hr linzel scully 1
Honda and Acura High Mileage Stories (Jul '07) Mon jleex 538
News Fire Up the PS3 in Anticipation of This SRT Tom... Sun al3abmix 1
News Julian Castro: Clinton emails a 'witch hunt' May 29 Your Ex 88
Ford recalls more than 440,000 cars May 28 Ford Owner 1
News Itís a Sad Day at Toyota (Jun '10) May 25 Francene 1,152
More from around the web