Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: taintedgreen.com 9,227

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Full Story
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9974 Jun 10, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol my goodness, you are either spectacularly slow or a spectacular troll.
(If you're trolling, congratulations. Well done.)
I'll try it again to see how you respond this time.
We weren’t talking about you discussing Volt’s technical merits, we were trying to get to the bottom of just what it is that you disagree with in I Love My Volt’s post. You started complaining about his post and failed to offer any reasonable discussion about what it is you disagree with. You basically made generalizations with no factual points. In other words you spun. You fail at debate.
As for sales, Volt is number one. No other car has causght up to it. Side note - Volt's sales were actually up last month (I think) so much for the word "dismal." Others have outsold it in some months, so what? Not one car you mention has topped Volt sales since these cars came out. What does this mean? Does it mean Volt is the best of all cars? Nope. Does it mean the Leaf is not what people want? Nope. Volt outsells Tesla, does that mean Volt is better? Nope. You defeat your own intentions when you start the spin (or trolling) whatever it is. Do you want to talk sales? Volt is the oldest of the bunch. Any person that knows squat about the car business knows the oldest of the bunch will most likely move at a slower pace. Leaf is a newer and cheaper model, did you know that? Do you think that could affect sales? Gosh like I Said there are so many variables in these things, the blanket statements you make are just not reasonable.
Suggesting you talk about the subject at hand and follow the discussion in a positive manner, something you have proven numerous times you are not willing or able to do is not censorship. In fact what {you} do {is} an attempt at censorship. Every last complaint you make points to your inability to stay on topic, be positive, and share in the discussion. So again you should sit down and ask yourself the question… if I just want to be negative, why am I here?
I will ask you the question, why are you here? It’s obvious the only thing you want to do is “push back” and be negative. Why is it you can’t be positive?
I can see, by your post that you are trying to get somebody to answer technical facts. Facts that can't be disputed. This person can't dispute them, so he doesn't. Thanks, but let me be honest here.

No need to defend yours truly. I haven't read anybodies posts, except those that are known to be interested in facts, for about 15 pages now. It's actually quite refreshing.

They can answer me, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm not reading the answers.

OK ... I just found a cool article about an owner that has over 120,000 miles. I need to read it and perhaps I'll post it and comment on what makes it relevant.

Be cool.
Frog Molester

Euless, TX

#9975 Jun 11, 2014
The frog lover wears no clothes.
Gay Pride

New York, NY

#9977 Jun 11, 2014
The Volt is so gay! Not surprised iluvmyVolt likes it so much.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9978 Jun 11, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see, by your post that you are trying to get somebody to answer technical facts. Facts that can't be disputed. This person can't dispute them, so he doesn't. Thanks, but let me be honest here.
No need to defend yours truly. I haven't read anybodies posts, except those that are known to be interested in facts, for about 15 pages now. It's actually quite refreshing.
They can answer me, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm not reading the answers.
OK ... I just found a cool article about an owner that has over 120,000 miles. I need to read it and perhaps I'll post it and comment on what makes it relevant.
Be cool.
That is advisable.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9979 Jun 11, 2014
Frog Molester wrote:
The frog lover wears no clothes.
Ha how appropriate.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9980 Jun 11, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Be cool.
The Chevrolet Volt was an important trendsetter as the first mainstream model to establish the plug-in hybrid segment as a viable answer to longer range EV driving.
That same segment Volt created, however, is now bursting with new entries three years after it first hit showrooms.
Indeed, Volt showed how far the level of technical knowledge has come in just a few short years.
Nowadays, models from other automakers have little difficulty topping the Volt’s MPGe scores and unlike Volt, they do it with conventional three-man back seats and traditional trunks for luggage.
Volt's contribution to EV technology notwithstanding, today's competition is eating Volt's lunch, with products equally good or better, and at lower prices.
Volt sales have dropped significantly since early 2013, and its trend line points sharply downward going forward.
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9981 Jun 11, 2014
The Chevrolet Volt is an important trendsetter as the first mainstream model to establish the plug-in hybrid segment as a viable answer to longer range EV driving.
That same segment Volt created, however, is now bursting with new entries three years after it first hit showrooms.
Indeed, Volt showed how far the level of technical knowledge has come in just a few short years.
Nowadays, models from other automakers have big difficulty topping the Volt’s MPGe scores and unlike Volt, they do it with conventional big strong and sensual three-MAN back seats and traditional trunks for luggage ands toys.
Volt's contribution to EV technology notwithstanding, today's competition is still can’t eat Volt's lunch, with products completely different at lower prices.
Volt sales have risen significantly since early 2013, and its trend line points sharply upward going forward.
This is why I drive a Volt and love it.
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9982 Jun 11, 2014
Advice wrote:
<quoted text>
The Chevrolet Volt was an important trendsetter as the first mainstream model to establish the plug-in hybrid segment as a viable answer to longer range EV driving.
Nowadays, models from other automakers have little difficulty topping the Volt’s MPGe scores and unlike Volt, they do it with conventional three-man back seats and traditional trunks for luggage.
Volt's contribution to EV technology notwithstanding, today's competition is eating Volt's lunch, with products equally good or better, and at lower prices.
Volt sales have dropped significantly since early 2013, and its trend line points sharply downward going forward.
Fake post by a proxy server user.
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9983 Jun 11, 2014
Real post by real Advice from Canada.

The Chevrolet Volt is an important trendsetter as the first mainstream model to establish the plug-in hybrid segment as a viable answer to longer range EV driving.
Nowadays, models from other automakers have big difficulty topping the Volt’s MPGe scores and unlike Volt, they do it with conventional big strong and sensual three-MAN back seats and traditional trunks for luggage ands toys.
Volt's contribution to EV technology notwithstanding, today's competition is still can’t eat Volt's lunch, with products completely different at lower prices.
Volt sales have risen significantly since early 2013, and its trend line points sharply upward going forward.
This is why I drive a Volt and love it.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9984 Jun 11, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Be cool.
Volt is apparently far from perfect, as evidenced by the following clip from a well known car talk source:

"The Volt’s original promise was to be a full EV drive with gasoline generator backup.

In practice, this design did not work in all scenarios – such as a long mountain incline – where the generator could not provide enough power to keep the vehicle moving under EV power. In scenarios like this, the Volt brings gasoline power directly to the wheels via a multi-mode electric transaxle driving the front wheels.

The distinction is important to shoppers and shows that some fundamental problems arose during the Volt’s development. Adding in gasoline power for high-demand scenarios defeats some of the engineering merit of the system, but it causes a bigger problem in total weight and interior packaging problems, as discussed above.

The gasoline assist was a late addition to the Volt program and means most of its battery, generator and inverter hardware and software is larger and heavier than it needs to be. The competition has no qualms blending gasoline power with EV juice for the Accord PHEV or Fusion Energi – and these models spank the Volt with mpg-equivalent scores that are each well above 100, versus the Volt’s all-electric score of 98 MPGe. On gasoline power only, the Volt turns in a 35 mpg rating in the city and 40 mpg on the highway."
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9986 Jun 11, 2014
I find this particular comment interesting:

"The (Volt's) competition has no qualms blending gasoline power with EV juice for the Accord PHEV or Fusion Energi – and these models spank the Volt with mpg-equivalent scores that are each well above 100, versus the Volt’s all-electric score of 98 MPGe. On gasoline power only, the Volt turns in a 35 mpg rating in the city and 40 mpg on the highway."

According to this expert, the competition "Spanks" Volt in the efficiency department.
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9987 Jun 11, 2014
I find this particular comment interesting:

"The (Volt's) competition has no qualms blending gasoline power with EV juice for the Accord PHEV or Fusion Energi – and these models spank my wife. The Volt with mpg-equivalent scores that are each well above 500, versus the others all-electric score of 98 MPGe. On gasoline power only, the Volt turns in a 35 mpg rating in the city and 40 mpg on the highway and gets hundreds of mpg.

According to this expert, the Volt "Spanks" my wife in the efficiency department. This is why I choose Volt.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9988 Jun 11, 2014
Advice wrote:
When we took the 500 mpg Volt up to Toronto to have the frog removed I took a picture. This is the frog that my wife shat out.
http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/82500/Gi...
That's one big frog. 500 miles per gallon in a Volt is decent but other people are getting 800 miles per gallon. Do you have a heavy foot or something?
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9989 Jun 11, 2014
Sincere thanks to whoever sent flowers to my wife. I get excited about that obviously acceptable topic about the frog and all its vile and exciting language.
Like many other topics and comments appearing lately, it was way in line in terms of civility and Topix code of conduct.
It appears that I have taken advantage of proxy posting software and rather loose controls by my wife's staff to anonymously excite me with sensual and sexual comments.
I hope that Topix will now monitor more diligently here and elsewhere so as to eliminate this unacceptable conduct by that few.
If such unacceptable conduct continues, I fully intend to take the issue directly to Topix senior management the Canadian Queen Topix CEO Superman and Batman. I will tell on every person here!
Enough is enough. I love the Volt.
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9990 Jun 11, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text>That's one big frog. 500 miles per gallon in a Volt is decent but other people are getting 800 miles per gallon. Do you have a heavy foot or something?
My wife is o-beast. This slows the Volt down and I have to use more petrol.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9991 Jun 11, 2014
Advice wrote:
<quoted text>My wife is o-beast. This slows the Volt down and I have to use more petrol.
Understood, I have great respect for you. That's one big beeyotch you married. To be honest I wouldn't expect the Volt to get over 300 miles per gallon carrying that big of a passenger. Kudos to Volt, that thing is like a truck!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9993 Jun 11, 2014
The Leaf costs $3,000 more to own over 5 years than the Volt. It can't be driven to grandma's house.

But, why would a car that doesn't use gas cost more than a car that does? Especially when they cost, virtually the same out of the gate? Actually, the Volt costs $500 more. After 5 years, the Volt has made that up plus $3,000.

What's wrong with this picture?

Leaf:
http://www.kbb.com/nissan/leaf/2013-nissan-le...

Volt:
http://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/volt/2014-chevro...

Answer: Insurance and depreciation.(Click on yearly breakdown). Why depreciation? There are several owners of 2011 Leafs that are in need of battery replacements. You can find them on their forums. 2011 Volt owners are still experiencing the same range as the day they bought them. Have there been problems with any 2011 Volts? Of course. It's a car.

Anyway. What is not shown is the fact that the Volt owners are driving 11 miles more per day (on average) than the Leaf owners. These extra miles are not driven during the week. They are week-end miles. Trips to grandma's. Something the Leaf can not do.

So, the comparison here by KBB does not reflect the fact that the Leaf owner must own a second car and must use gas and pay insurance and have repair bills on that second car. The actual savings by the average Volt owner is much more than $3,000 over 5 years.

The batteries for the 2011 Leafs are under warranty. So far. But what a hassle that must be. KBB probably took this into consideration when they listed the depreciation for the Leaf.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9995 Jun 11, 2014
"Hello Jason,

Glad to hear that you might get yours this week - great to meet you this past Saturday in Scottsdale.

July 12th, 28704 Miles: Noticed the Leaf capacity meter dropped the fourth bar.
July 21st: Took the Leaf in for the software update and to request the battery replacement. Delayed a little to work around my schedule and the Nissan Tech's vacation schedule.
July 30th : Case opened up for Battery Replacement. They said that they had to order a battery, and it would take about 4-5 weeks to get here - end of August or first week of September. The rep reported that he would follow up with me every week to let me know of any status changes.
Aug 7th: Nissan representative called to report that there was no change in the ETA
Aug 14th: Same representative called, no status change
Aug 21st: Same representative called, no status change

As with Jason, they confirmed that they'll need the car for a couple of days and I would get a loaner during that time. I was impressed with the level of service I've received on this so far. I appreciate the calls, even though there has been no status change. I've asked a couple of questions along the way about the process, and got good response.

One thing that impresses me about the car is how well it performs even with a low battery. Acceleration appears to be the same, all the way down to VLBW. I kind of wondered if at some point my acceleration would be limited or my regen would be limited, but no change except for the lowered range.

However, as I've noted in other threads, the LBW and VLBW warnings come at the same GID count as a new battery, so you have proportionately less range (psychologically, because you 'fear' LBW :) because the distance between approximately 74% of your capacity is between Full and LBW (195 to 50 GIDs) versus 82% for a new pack (281 to 50 GIDs). If you aren't comfortable using the car below LBW (like my wife) then this exaggerates the range loss."
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9997 Jun 12, 2014
Apparently, nobody knows exactly how much a replacement battery for Volt will cost.
Prices range from $3200 to $34000 depending on who you ask.
So the site calling itself "Autoblog Green" asked a couple of GM dealers for prices.

Here's what was learned....

If Ralph Nader contended that the Corvair was “unsafe at any speed,” then We contend that the ObamaCar demand has reached it’s apex and is now “unwanted at any price.”

That might be because no one can actually tell buyers what it might cost to replace the batteries in the car.

Continues the AutoblogGreen:

We called up Keyes Chevrolet in Los Angeles and were quoted a broad price range of between $3,400 and $34,000 to replace a "drive motor replacement battery" in a 2012 Volt. Tellingly, perhaps, the dealer we spoke with was not sure what replacing a 'drive motor replacement battery'(and the 'Grade B' version, at that) entails, and told us we'd have to bring a Volt in to see what's wrong with the pack to get a real estimate. We got the same confusion and numbers to replace the battery from Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We asked GM to clarify what this $34,000 charge includes, but that information was not forthcoming.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9998 Jun 12, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
"Hello Jason,
Glad to hear that you might get yours this week - great to meet you this past Saturday in Scottsdale.
July 12th, 28704 Miles: Noticed the Leaf capacity meter dropped the fourth bar.
July 21st: Took the Leaf in for the software update and to request the battery replacement. Delayed a little to work around my schedule and the Nissan Tech's vacation schedule.
July 30th : Case opened up for Battery Replacement. They said that they had to order a battery, and it would take about 4-5 weeks to get here - end of August or first week of September. The rep reported that he would follow up with me every week to let me know of any status changes.
Aug 7th: Nissan representative called to report that there was no change in the ETA
Aug 14th: Same representative called, no status change
Aug 21st: Same representative called, no status change
As with Jason, they confirmed that they'll need the car for a couple of days and I would get a loaner during that time. I was impressed with the level of service I've received on this so far. I appreciate the calls, even though there has been no status change. I've asked a couple of questions along the way about the process, and got good response.
One thing that impresses me about the car is how well it performs even with a low battery. Acceleration appears to be the same, all the way down to VLBW. I kind of wondered if at some point my acceleration would be limited or my regen would be limited, but no change except for the lowered range.
However, as I've noted in other threads, the LBW and VLBW warnings come at the same GID count as a new battery, so you have proportionately less range (psychologically, because you 'fear' LBW :) because the distance between approximately 74% of your capacity is between Full and LBW (195 to 50 GIDs) versus 82% for a new pack (281 to 50 GIDs). If you aren't comfortable using the car below LBW (like my wife) then this exaggerates the range loss."
I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the Leaf battery failures. It's been going on for some time now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GM's unreliable cars keep mechanics in business. (Sep '10) 9 hr GM junk 13
Top SBB Key Programmer V33.02 - Auto Key Progra... (Dec '13) 16 hr Ricky 7
For $2,999, Is This 1987 Yugo GV Better Than No... 22 hr Zeppelin 1
Suffering from range anxiety? Seeo's battery pr... Wed Solarman 1
Obama's plan: 'Deport felons, not families' Wed WeTheSheeple 727
auto tool x-100 (May '13) Dec 23 yellowbend 4
Watch A Truck Haul Away A 35-Ton Whale Carcass Dec 23 Dave 1
More from around the web