Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11784 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9852 May 30, 2014
I am a gay man from Canada and I'm rich. I own a business and my daughters run it. I drive a Volt and I'm a pilot. My Volt has saved so much money I can afford to help. Sometimes I wear panties with a hole in the buttocks section. I am a backer.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9854 May 31, 2014
Advice wrote:
I am a gay man from Canada and I'm rich. I own a business and my daughters run it. I drive a Volt and I'm a pilot. My Volt has saved so much money I can afford to help. Sometimes I wear panties with a hole in the buttocks section. I am a backer.
Fake proxy server post.
Root, the proxy server impersonator is doing his thing again.
Sick!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9855 May 31, 2014
Auto-Safety wrote:
<quoted text>
Hoping that I can get backing and find investors to help launch the product!
Good luck with your endeavors.
Over Priced Cruze

Trumbull, CT

#9856 May 31, 2014
Auto-Safety wrote:
<quoted text>
Hoping that I can get backing and find investors to help launch the product!
Ask iluvmyVolt for some cash. He makes money just driving around in his Volt. Maybe hire him as your cost accountant.
Anonymous

Toronto, Canada

#9857 May 31, 2014
Advice wrote:
<quoted text>
Fake proxy server post.
Root, the proxy server impersonator is doing his thing again.
Sick!
Said it before and I'll say it again. This sick person who calls himself Root and proxy posts his vulgar impersonations is a psycho.
Anybody who does what that ropy nut case does has got to be at least a few ants short of a picnic.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9858 May 31, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Said it before and I'll say it again. This sick person who calls himself Root and proxy posts his vulgar impersonations is a psycho.
Anybody who does what that ropy nut case does has got to be at least a few ants short of a picnic.
Agree.
I truly believe he suffers from xenophobia.
Over Price Cruze

Trumbull, CT

#9859 Jun 1, 2014
Another loser from Gubamint Motors. A wonder what that dog cost the US Taxpayers?

http://mashable.com/2014/05/29/gm-cadillac-el...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9860 Jun 2, 2014
The Chevy Volt's reliability seems to be in question. It certainly isn't based on fact. Have there been problems? Of course. I don't ever remember an automobile model that had zero problems.

However, the very first Volt production model received a great honor when the Society of Automotive Engineers named it the best engineered car in the world for 2011. How can such a respected group of engineers name a brand new model of a car "Best Engineered"? Well, engineering. Many folks said "wait".

Having waited 3 years later, the Volt received the "Most Reliable" award from JD Power in its' class. It's easy to just blow this award off, but let's take a good look.

The number two and three cars, the Toyota Corolla and the Honda Civic have been around for years. The Toyota Corolla was introduced in 1966, and the Honda Civic was introduced in 1972. The Corolla is almost 50 years old and the Civic is almost 45 years old.

Think about it. The very first Volt model ever produced was named best engineered and 3 years later is the least troublesome car in its' class, beating out cars with big time reputations. Cars that have had almost a half a century to get it right.

So, having established that the Volt is very reliable, let's talk about what people are waiting to see fail.

Let's first discuss the similularities between a regular gas car and the Volt. I'm pretty sure we don't need to talk about tires, seats, glass etc.

We'll first talk about the internal combustion engine (ice), and planetaries. Planetaries? Yes, the Volt and gas cars are similar in the category of planeteries.

Hold your horses. I'll get to that.

OK ... part II coming up in a couple of days. "Why the systems that are common to both the Volt and regular gas cars are still much more reliable in favor of the Volt."
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9861 Jun 2, 2014
By the way. Solar panels on car roofs that run air condition units have been around for 20 years. Some super cars and the Hummer came with that option.

I don't think that this is too new.

http://phys.org/news/2011-10-solar-powered-ai...

http://www.green-power.hk/html/sav.html

http://www.gizmag.com/solar-power-vehicle-ac-...
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9862 Jun 3, 2014
Volt sales trend continues in its dismal slide.
For month of May, Nissan Leaf outsold Volt by a ratio of 2 to 1.
Leaf sold 3117 units, Volt sold only 1684 units for the month.
The big question now is will GM continue to support Volt.
Are we seeing a race to the bottom?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9863 Jun 3, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
By the way. Solar panels on car roofs that run air condition units have been around for 20 years. Some super cars and the Hummer came with that option.
I don't think that this is too new.
http://phys.org/news/2011-10-solar-powered-ai...
http://www.green-power.hk/html/sav.html
http://www.gizmag.com/solar-power-vehicle-ac-...
Interesting, thanks for the info.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9864 Jun 3, 2014
It gets worse.
May sales results not looking good for Volt.

Nissan Leaf.....3117
Prius Plug-In....2892
Volt..........1684

Who is the "Leapfrogger" now?
And who is the "Leapfroggee"?
In Tank

Los Angeles, CA

#9865 Jun 3, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
By the way. Solar panels on car roofs that run air condition units have been around for 20 years. Some super cars and the Hummer came with that option.
I don't think that this is too new.
http://phys.org/news/2011-10-solar-powered-ai...
http://www.green-power.hk/html/sav.html
http://www.gizmag.com/solar-power-vehicle-ac-...
Solar is great in certain areas and more power to the users if that is what they choose. What I frown upon is the constant assault on coal.
Obsessed With My Volt

Florham Park, NJ

#9866 Jun 4, 2014
Advice wrote:
It gets worse.
May sales results not looking good for Volt.
Nissan Leaf.....3117
Prius Plug-In....2892
Volt..........1684
Who is the "Leapfrogger" now?
And who is the "Leapfroggee"?
This news will surely send the obsessed one over the edge!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9867 Jun 4, 2014
In Tank wrote:
<quoted text>Solar is great in certain areas and more power to the users if that is what they choose. What I frown upon is the constant assault on coal.
True, I have nothing against solar power either but do question some of the applications and their costs. On the other hand when it comes to coal I believe the president and his liberal militia are the ones stirring up the controversial arguments about it.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9868 Jun 4, 2014
Obsessed With My Volt wrote:
<quoted text>
This news will surely send the obsessed one over the edge!
Can't speak for the resident Volt Professor, but the last many months of dismal sales for Volt confirms that Volt is no longer the sales champ, and won't be going forward.
This will no doubt be big disappointment for those who claimed Volt had bragging rights in the past.
Both Leaf and Prius are consistently ahead--Leaf outselling Volt 2 to 1.
Lots of players in the game now, and it's inevitable that Volt's share will continue to decline.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9869 Jun 4, 2014
Actually Volt is the sales champ and owns that title until the end of the year. I expect Leaf to get that title next and we will celebrate the new champion at that point. Volt is the oldest of these cars and it should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with auto anything that the last models sell at a slower rate especially when there is a field full of new and in some cases truly great offerings. Also, the article this thread deals with talks of Volt leapfrogging the Prius on efficiency, not sales.
Won't be surprised to hear degrading remarks about what I've just said and that's fine because it is of all things honest and to the point and not meant to be taken in a negative manner. For some reason the hatred for this car is overwhelming and I for one have never understood why. Personally I think it's a wonderful car as are the orhers in this field.

Go ahead let the attacks begin..
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9870 Jun 4, 2014
Root wrote:
Actually Volt is the sales champ and owns that title until the end of the year. I expect Leaf to get that title next and we will celebrate the new champion at that point. Volt is the oldest of these cars and it should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with auto anything that the last models sell at a slower rate especially when there is a field full of new and in some cases truly great offerings. Also, the article this thread deals with talks of Volt leapfrogging the Prius on efficiency, not sales.
Won't be surprised to hear degrading remarks about what I've just said and that's fine because it is of all things honest and to the point and not meant to be taken in a negative manner. For some reason the hatred for this car is overwhelming and I for one have never understood why. Personally I think it's a wonderful car as are the orhers in this field.
Go ahead let the attacks begin..
No attacks. That's your stock in trade, not mine.
The game has changed Root.
Your problem is that you just can't accept reality.
Volt just isn't the top dog any more.
Try not to get too upset.
It's just a car.
And it's well past its "best before" date.
Even the much maligned Prius outsells it now.
Anonymous

Toronto, Canada

#9871 Jun 4, 2014
Root says he's honest. Can't understand the hate. What a joke. His signature is on hundreds of hate Toyota posts. Now that's either real hate, or maybe just psycho.
Psycho gets my vote.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9872 Jun 4, 2014
Attacks now underway.
Volt still numero uno.
Check back January 2015 to see who earns the sales crown.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dale Jr. has mixed emotions about Jimmie Johnso... 1 hr WhatPhart 15
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) 13 hr Tom 14
OEM Tango Key Programmer with All Software Fri cnautotool 1
XTOOL EZ400 PRO VS Xtool EZ400 VS Xtool PS90 Thu jimmyLIN 1
News 1959 Devin D Roadster: From Kit Car to Hillclimber (Aug '07) Thu Bigfoote 43
Xhorse Iscancar VAG MM-007 Diagnostic and Maint... Wed jimmyLIN 1
News Watch This Man Save An Elderly Woman From Being... (Mar '17) Sep 18 Charlie Estupefacto 3
More from around the web