Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: taintedgreen.com 9,251

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Full Story
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9804 May 14, 2014
Old link and old infomation. BTW it's LG Chem not LG Chen.

Just face it, the Volt's batteries are made in Michigan. No need to spin and try to make every little thing look bad. You my dear are the one prancing as a homosexual spoofer, the down voter and so forth hence the reason your posts get removed. Take that advice to the bank b-boy.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9805 May 14, 2014
Root wrote:
Old link and old infomation. BTW it's LG Chem not LG Chen.
Just face it, the Volt's batteries are made in Michigan. No need to spin and try to make every little thing look bad. You my dear are the one prancing as a homosexual spoofer, the down voter and so forth hence the reason your posts get removed. Take that advice to the bank b-boy.
Root---or should I say JJFADS---I expected better from you.
Once upon a time, you were a worthy adversary, but now---just a common troll.
Your accusation re homophobics and spoofing is a lie, and you know it.
You also know why It's a lie. You're acting like a hormonal adolescent and it fools no one.
So start acting like an adult. This forum will be the better for it.

PS--Sorry about the spelling--it's Chem, not Chen.
Furthermore, subsequent to that "old news" (not), LG Chem is temporarily shut down--no orders!
And you know why that is.

PPS--Did I mention that Korean based LG Chem was given 151 million dollars by the US Govt. to relocate from Korea to Holland Michigan?
But had to give a portion of that back because they reneged on their promise to provide full employment?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9806 May 14, 2014
And that has always been your problem, looking at others as adversaries instead of people, trying to stir shit because you donít like others opinions and thoughts. That behavior is ingrained into your DNA, itís who you are. Ah but anyway.. itís the internet right?

Like I said, the batteries are made in Michigan. No need to try to make everything look bad. Hell, if it werenít for me correcting you weíd still be talking about LG Chen. Lol

Out of curiosity why no mention of the over a billion dollars (or whatever it was) for the Leaf battery plant as a comparison, or would that sour your story? Nah, honesty is not who you are, homosexual spoofer.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9807 May 14, 2014
Root wrote:
And that has always been your problem, looking at others as adversaries instead of people, trying to stir shit because you donít like others opinions and thoughts. That behavior is ingrained into your DNA, itís who you are. Ah but anyway.. itís the internet right?
Like I said, the batteries are made in Michigan. No need to try to make everything look bad. Hell, if it werenít for me correcting you weíd still be talking about LG Chen. Lol
Out of curiosity why no mention of the over a billion dollars (or whatever it was) for the Leaf battery plant as a comparison, or would that sour your story? Nah, honesty is not who you are, homosexual spoofer.
It's about time you started acting your age Root--Or should I say JJFADS!!(Assuming you are an adult--which is frequently doubtful)
All your juvenile silliness doesn't serve you well, and certainly doesn't add any value to the forum.
I cannot for the life of me fathom what you're trying to accomplish with the stupid way you act, and the stupid stunts you pull.
Why all the proxy server nonsense, and why the obsession with homophobia?
Plus your thing about dissing Toyota--what's with that?
For what it's worth, you're just wasting your time and a lot of useless bandwidth.
So why not do the forum a favor---just grow up and get a life---or better still, get lost?
Either way, it's a bonus for the rest of us.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9808 May 14, 2014
Hey, as long as you know the batteries are made in Michigan all is good Buttercup. Next I will school you on what plant does what as you evidently only have access to the internet. Lol
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9809 May 14, 2014
Root wrote:
Hey, as long as you know the batteries are made in Michigan all is good Buttercup. Next I will school you on what plant does what as you evidently only have access to the internet. Lol
So nice of you to agree to change your ways.
I can hardly wait to see what your professed "schooling" looks like.
Really, anything will be a welcome change from your usual Proxy Server charades.
Your obsession with dissing Toyota, Homophobia, and Username Cloning was getting really obnoxious--and repetitious to the point of quite boring.
"Grossly Overused" would be a polite but appropriate description.
I was beginning to see your work as living proof that manure can grow legs and walk.
Cheers Root--I mean JJFADS---We liked you much better when you acted like an adult.
Good to see you heading back in that direction.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9810 May 14, 2014
Meh no good Buttercup. The real issue at hand is the batteries are made in Michigan and you don't even know what plant that happens at. Night night and sleep well.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9811 May 14, 2014
Boy, it sure warmed up today. I thought I'd drive real slow and stay off the freeway and have a real high mpg day that I could show off. NOT!!!! That's not fun.

So, I got on the freeway for a while going to my buddies. Only had a 192 mpg day. Didn't even take a picture. I mean, what's the point? Under 200 mpg sucks, right? But I did have to run the AC, so maybe, even if I didn't set the cruise at 70, I wouldn't have achieved a 200 mpg day.

Used 5.3 kwh's @$0.925 =$0.49025
22.7 miles driven for $0.49025 =$0.0215969162995595 per mile .... being a slave to the decimal.

At $4.15 per gallon for gas, this equates to 192.1570627231002 mpg.

Being a slave to the decimal.

So, I guess I could have done some hyper miling and come up with a 205 mpg figure. But it's not fun. What's the point of having a car that is so awesome and not having fun? Right?

So, some day, when I'm stuck in slow traffic with not a lot of red lights, I'll score a 46 - 50 mile range and I'll show it off. Until then, I'll just have fun .... driving my fun miles.

What an awesome car.$11,000 less to own than a Prius plug in over 5 years and I don't have to turn around and go home after 30 miles like a Leaf.

ps ... had a 44 mile range this morning upon unplugging. That's the first time for me.

I wonder why my battery hasn't depleted 33% like certain folks told me it would?

Answer .... IDGAF

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9812 May 14, 2014
It's not hard to understand why so many people get confused when it comes to a series hybrid like the Volt. Even Volt owners have pretty hot discussions on their forums. Especially concerning the planetary.

Many think the planetary is the same as the Prius. Not even. The Prius is a parallel hybrid. Either full gas or full electric or a blend.

The Volt is always electric, whether by pure battery or by the battery getting it's charge from the generator.

Some folks think that the different gear ratios in the planetary are actual drive gears. The gears are actually needed to allow the 3 different motors to come together in the most efficient blend of torque / power. The planetary is actually a torque / power split device.

The final torque / power is then sent through a single speed gear box which has a 2.16 gear ratio. You can see it in this diagram between the planetary and the axle differential.

http://bioage.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4fbe53...

The one question that people who believe the planetary is a transmission can't answer is .... "where is reverse?". There is no reverse. All the positions on the shifter are software. R only makes the drive E motor spin backwards. In fact, limiters were put into the R software to keep people from driving 100 mph backwards.

Even Volt owners think that driving in low at freeway speeds will harm the car. Low is the exact gear ratio as Drive,(there is only one gear ratio ... 2.16). The only difference, once again is software.

Low is software that tells the drive E motor to be more aggressive in regenerative actions when the drivers foot is off the accelerator.. In fact, diesel electrics use this exact method when going down a grade.

The planetary may sound complicated, but, in fact, it is quite simple. Much less complicated than having to use a transmission with several gears ratios.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9813 May 14, 2014
Root wrote:
Meh no good Buttercup. The real issue at hand is the batteries are made in Michigan and you don't even know what plant that happens at. Night night and sleep well.
That's only half the issue. The other half is that the batteries are showing almost zero depletion. Leaf owners are experiencing depletion. It isn't much, but there are cases out there that would alarm a Volt owner. However, their depletion is within their warranty. Leaf owners are currently trying to get Nissan to give them the same type of warranty as the Volt. That being a "no more than" depletion. We'll see.

It is the Volt's battery management system ... only allowing the battery to be about 85% charged and never fully discharged .... and the coolant system.

As the article that you provided stated:

"and early indications seem to be that battery-capacity loss has been almost nonexistent.

It's worth noting here that GM's Voltec engineers took a very, very conservative approach to the battery, using less of its total capacity than in almost any other plug-in car."

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091747_c...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9814 May 14, 2014
I would agree with that, and would also agree that there's an equal element of hardwood in the Volt. I am clueless when it comes to basic math and accounting but I love the Volt and it saves money.
The part that I find disturbing is that I am absolutely convinced of my sexual orintation and responsible postings and the correctness of my sensual fantasies---most, if not all of which are merely rhetorical claims and accusations. I love the Volt.

PS, We note that the me the resident "Great Pretender" noted for my mimicked or pseudo usernames and proxy servers has caught up to you too!!

Over Priced Advice

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
My Volt is My Life

Trumbull, CT

#9815 May 15, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Boy, it sure warmed up today. I thought I'd drive real slow and stay off the freeway and have a real high mpg day that I could show off. NOT!!!! That's not fun.
So, I got on the freeway for a while going to my buddies. Only had a 192 mpg day. Didn't even take a picture. I mean, what's the point? Under 200 mpg sucks, right? But I did have to run the AC, so maybe, even if I didn't set the cruise at 70, I wouldn't have achieved a 200 mpg day.
Used 5.3 kwh's @$0.925 =$0.49025
22.7 miles driven for $0.49025 =$0.0215969162995595 per mile .... being a slave to the decimal.
At $4.15 per gallon for gas, this equates to 192.1570627231002 mpg.
Being a slave to the decimal.
So, I guess I could have done some hyper miling and come up with a 205 mpg figure. But it's not fun. What's the point of having a car that is so awesome and not having fun? Right?
So, some day, when I'm stuck in slow traffic with not a lot of red lights, I'll score a 46 - 50 mile range and I'll show it off. Until then, I'll just have fun .... driving my fun miles.
What an awesome car.$11,000 less to own than a Prius plug in over 5 years and I don't have to turn around and go home after 30 miles like a Leaf.
ps ... had a 44 mile range this morning upon unplugging. That's the first time for me.
I wonder why my battery hasn't depleted 33% like certain folks told me it would?
Answer .... IDGAF
You really need to get a life!
Pete

Jackson, MI

#9816 May 16, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
That's only half the issue. The other half is that the batteries are showing almost zero depletion. Leaf owners are experiencing depletion. It isn't much, but there are cases out there that would alarm a Volt owner. However, their depletion is within their warranty. Leaf owners are currently trying to get Nissan to give them the same type of warranty as the Volt. That being a "no more than" depletion. We'll see.
It is the Volt's battery management system ... only allowing the battery to be about 85% charged and never fully discharged .... and the coolant system.
"and early indications seem to be that battery-capacity loss has been almost nonexistent.
It's worth noting here that GM's Voltec engineers took a very, very conservative approach to the battery, using less of its total capacity than in almost any other plug-in car."
Wifey says:
Boy it sure looks like your obamamobile caught on fire in Cali...

as a matter of fact...

the whole state is up in flames from it.

Too Funny.
Pete

Jackson, MI

#9817 May 16, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Wifey says:
Boy it sure looks like your obamamobile has been to your state...

as a matter of fact...

looks like it caught the whole state on fire.

Too Funny.
Pete

Jackson, MI

#9818 May 16, 2014
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Wifey says:
Boy it sure looks like your obamamobile has been to your state...
as a matter of fact...
looks like it caught the whole state on fire.
Too Funny.
That's very true...

owners of obamamobiles have reported memory lapses when stopped
for driving violations...

and other problems.

Too Funny.
Pete

Jackson, MI

#9819 May 16, 2014
Pete wrote:
That's very true...

owners of obamamobiles have reported memory lapses when stopped
for driving violations...

and other problems.

Too Funny.
Wifey says:
that's very true...

There was a study saying by the flow of electrical current to the motor which moves the car...

it caused the memory lapses including cancer.

Too Funny.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9820 May 16, 2014
This is one of the few remaining hater sites (sorry .... disliker sites) that still has a web site up that trys to show that electric cars really get low mpg. In this case, they try to show that electric cars get 28 mpg in terms of co2 emitted. The dislikers (haters) took this one and ran with it for quite a while. In fact, many still believe this.

From the link:

"If your electricity comes from a fossil fuel plant, the 30 kWh delivered to your house took about 95 kWh of fossil fuel energy."

Now, who really believes that? They are going to spend the equivalent of $.95 but only charge their customers $.30? It must be remembered, it takes electricity to produce gas. So, that crazy math above relates to gasoline also. Even haters get that lie stuck in their craw. They're going to use 95 kwh's of energy to get 30 kwh's of energy to your plug.

They are trying to make a case for co2 emissions. They misstate the facts by a factor of about 10. Even PG&E states that their co2 emissions are .575 lbs per kwh, and that's pretty bad. My city does much better. But using that figure, my car would create 7.475 lbs of co2 per 42 miles.

http://www.pge.com/myhome/environment/calcula...

Per the EPA, 19.6 lbs of co2 are emitted per gallon, on average. That means, even a Prius is emitting about 2.6 more co2 than I am. Not really though, being that Santa Clara emits much less co2 than PG&E. A 25 mpg car emits about 6 times more co2 than I do while charging.

The author is "Lauren". Probably Lauren Fix. An ardent Volt hater. She is the "expert" who claimed that she spent $100 in one week to charge a Volt. I put out a video showing that she would have to charge and drive the car for twice as many hours as there are in a week to run up a $100 electric bill for 7 days. HUH????? I'm pretty sure that's impossible. I may be wrong.

http://www.effectivism.net/2012/03/fuel-effic...
Pete

Jackson, MI

#9821 May 17, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
This is one of the few remaining hater sites (sorry .... disliker sites) that still has a web site up that trys to show that electric cars really get low mpg. In this case, they try to show that electric cars get 28 mpg in terms of co2 emitted. The dislikers (haters) took this one and ran with it for quite a while. In fact, many still believe this.
From the link:
"If your electricity comes from a fossil fuel plant, the 30 kWh delivered to your house took about 95 kWh of fossil fuel energy."
Now, who really believes that? They are going to spend the equivalent of $.95 but only charge their customers $.30? It must be remembered, it takes electricity to produce gas. So, that crazy math above relates to gasoline also. Even haters get that lie stuck in their craw. They're going to use 95 kwh's of energy to get 30 kwh's of energy to your plug.
They are trying to make a case for co2 emissions. They misstate the facts by a factor of about 10. Even PG&E states that their co2 emissions are .575 lbs per kwh, and that's pretty bad. My city does much better. But using that figure, my car would create 7.475 lbs of co2 per 42 miles.
http://www.pge.com/myhome/environment/calcula...
Per the EPA, 19.6 lbs of co2 are emitted per gallon, on average. That means, even a Prius is emitting about 2.6 more co2 than I am. Not really though, being that Santa Clara emits much less co2 than PG&E. A 25 mpg car emits about 6 times more co2 than I do while charging.
The author is "Lauren". Probably Lauren Fix. An ardent Volt hater. She is the "expert" who claimed that she spent $100 in one week to charge a Volt. I put out a video showing that she would have to charge and drive the car for twice as many hours as there are in a week to run up a $100 electric bill for 7 days. HUH????? I'm pretty sure that's impossible. I may be wrong.
http://www.effectivism.net/2012/03/fuel-effic...
Wifey says:
It's the BM lovers...

those living off of and looking for hand outs...

who call everyone else haters...

Imagine that.

Too Funny.
Pete

Jackson, MI

#9822 May 17, 2014
Pete wrote:
Wifey says:
It's the BM lovers...

those living off of and looking for hand outs...

who call everyone else "haters"...

Imagine that.

Too Funny.
That's very true...

and Spoken like a true diplomat...

It has been said that those who hate the "Truth"..."

are the true "haters".

Too Funny.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9823 May 17, 2014
Good web site that defines the different types of hybrids.
Their comments on a series hybrid, like the Volt.

"This is the simplest hybrid configuration. In a series hybrid, the electric motor is the only means of providing power to get your wheels turning"

And on the parallel, like the Prius.

"With a parallel hybrid electric vehicle, both the engine and the electric motor generate the power that drives the wheels. This increases highway efficiency compared to a series hybrid, but reduces the city driving efficiency benefits compared to series hybrids and battery electric vehicles."

And lastly, a series / parallel hybrid, like the plug in Prius.

They make mention of the fact that the plug in Prius can not function in electric mode at freeway speeds.

"At lower speeds it operates as a series vehicle, while at higher speeds, the gasoline engine takes over."

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/smart-tr...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man charged with murder in Craigslist case 3 hr Go Blue Forever 3
How to solve MVP Key Pro M8 Driver problem 8 hr uobd2 2
LED Auto Lights Online 11 hr Frankc 1
Milpitas limo Services (Dec '12) 17 hr Jamestheduke21 6
Porsche will deliver more Macans to US dealerships 19 hr butchbutch 1
Original Launch X431 iDiag Multi-Language Tue Liliflower 6
NASCARs Brian France says new manufacturers cou... Tue Whoyakidding 2
More from around the web