Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11778 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Pete

Jackson, MI

#9828 May 20, 2014
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Wifey says:
All those Chevys at the rentals...
Including the two or three obamamobiles...
Are gonna be banned in Cali...
After starting those fires.
Too funny.
That's very true...

Chevy the recall king...

And we knew it the whole time

Too funny.
Pete

Saint Charles, MI

#9829 May 20, 2014
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
That's very true...
Chevy the recall king...
And we knew it the whole time
Too funny.
Wifey days;
That's very true..,

Chevys been cloning Toyota and Honda for long enough...

That communist party uaw can't bud the quality.

Leapfrog away.

That's funny.

Too funny.
Pete

Saint Charles, MI

#9830 May 20, 2014
That's very true...

Chevys a leapfrogger.

Right back into bankruptcy where it belongs.

Too funny.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9831 May 20, 2014
Cool article. This Volt owner pays less than I do for his charging costs. That's because I live in a city that owns it's own power company.

I pay more for night time charging than most do, but my day time rates are the same as the night. I pay a flat 9.25 cents all day. So, I pay more per mile than most, but my electric bill is much less.

But, his results are still impressive. 2 cents per mile. All these comparisons were at $3.44 per gallon of gas. At 2 cents per mile, he would be averaging 207 mpg for charging costs at today's gas prices. I'm only at 200 mpg (charging costs). But driving 200 miles for the cost of 1 gallon of gas is good enough for me.

From the link:

“If you drive a car that gets 23 MPG (the national average), the yearly savings based on my driving habits and electricity costs are going to be around $3000 PER YEAR.”

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/11/30/chevy-vol...

I like one of the comments:

"At US Embassy Vienna we bought 5 Volts for fleet use, city driving, avg 30 miles/day, so almost entirely electric. Volts are programmed to force you to use two tanks of gas a year, so the gas does not go bad in your tank. We showed savings of $10k per year,$2k per car. We paid $5k extra vs a comparable gas engine car. Savings are also in maintenance, less wear on brake pads, less overall maintenance. We had to install electrical outlets, offsetting some savings, but plan to buy more since the savings were so impressive. At $5k less, there is basically no price premium. The Volt is a better car for fleet use."

They paid $5k more per car but save $2k per year per car. However, he brings up the maintenance issue. Batteries will last 10 years minimum. No brake jobs. No oil changes.

So, they should make up the difference in price within 2 years. After that, it's all pay back.

What an awesome car.$11,000 less to own for 5 years than a Prius plug in and I don't have to turn around and go home after 30 miles like a Leaf.
My Volt is My Life

Florham Park, NJ

#9832 May 21, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Cool article. This Volt owner pays less than I do for his charging costs. That's because I live in a city that owns it's own power company.
I pay more for night time charging than most do, but my day time rates are the same as the night. I pay a flat 9.25 cents all day. So, I pay more per mile than most, but my electric bill is much less.
But, his results are still impressive. 2 cents per mile. All these comparisons were at $3.44 per gallon of gas. At 2 cents per mile, he would be averaging 207 mpg for charging costs at today's gas prices. I'm only at 200 mpg (charging costs). But driving 200 miles for the cost of 1 gallon of gas is good enough for me.
From the link:
“If you drive a car that gets 23 MPG (the national average), the yearly savings based on my driving habits and electricity costs are going to be around $3000 PER YEAR.”
http://cleantechnica.com/2012/11/30/chevy-vol...
I like one of the comments:
"At US Embassy Vienna we bought 5 Volts for fleet use, city driving, avg 30 miles/day, so almost entirely electric. Volts are programmed to force you to use two tanks of gas a year, so the gas does not go bad in your tank. We showed savings of $10k per year,$2k per car. We paid $5k extra vs a comparable gas engine car. Savings are also in maintenance, less wear on brake pads, less overall maintenance. We had to install electrical outlets, offsetting some savings, but plan to buy more since the savings were so impressive. At $5k less, there is basically no price premium. The Volt is a better car for fleet use."
They paid $5k more per car but save $2k per year per car. However, he brings up the maintenance issue. Batteries will last 10 years minimum. No brake jobs. No oil changes.
So, they should make up the difference in price within 2 years. After that, it's all pay back.
What an awesome car.$11,000 less to own for 5 years than a Prius plug in and I don't have to turn around and go home after 30 miles like a Leaf.
Same old regurgitated cut and paste BS. It's only a matter of time before Recall Motors calls in the Volt for some serious work; that contraption is a maintenance time bomb; wait for it!
Welfare Motors

Florham Park, NJ

#9833 May 21, 2014
Pete wrote:
That's very true...
Chevys a leapfrogger.
Right back into bankruptcy where it belongs.
Too funny.
LOL It's a good thing Obama ran Saturn out of business.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9834 May 21, 2014
My Volt is My Life wrote:
<quoted text>
Same old regurgitated cut and paste BS. It's only a matter of time before Recall Motors calls in the Volt for some serious work; that contraption is a maintenance time bomb; wait for it!
Agree.
Volt hasn't sold enough yet for any long term maintenance issues to surface, but its complexity will eventually prove to be a maintenance headache.
Wait for it.

This LuvmyVolt character repeats himself continuously, to the point of ridiculous..
Most of the time his posts can be lumped into two categories...
(1) Boasting about his life's (and his Volt's)accomplishments, most of which are pure BS, and
(2) Cut pasting selective media bytes and owner quotes which only talk about one side of the real story.

Because of the Obssessed One and the everpresent Proxy Server yahoo (Root), both of whom dominate, this forum is a waste of time now.
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9835 May 21, 2014
Disagree.
Volt has sold enough for many years and many long term maintenance issues to surface, but its complexity will never be a maintenance headache.
Mine never breaks down. Our Prius broke down all the time.

I repeat myself continuously, to the point of ridiculous..
Most of the time my posts can be lumped into two categories...
(1) Boasting about my wife (and my Volt's)accomplishments, most of which are pure truth, and
(2) Cut pasting selective media bytes and owner quotes which talk about both sides of the real story.

Because of the Obssessed One me and the everpresent Proxy Server yahoo (Root), both of whom dominate, this forum is a good information source now. This is my advice.
Pete

Jackson, MI

#9836 May 21, 2014
Advice wrote:
Disagree.
Volt has sold enough for many years and many long term maintenance issues to surface, but its complexity will never be a maintenance headache.
Mine never breaks down. Our Prius broke down all the time.
I repeat myself continuously, to the point of ridiculous..
Most of the time my posts can be lumped into two categories...
(1) Boasting about my wife (and my Volt's)accomplishments, most of which are pure truth, and
(2) Cut pasting selective media bytes and owner quotes which talk about both sides of the real story.
Because of the Obssessed One me and the everpresent Proxy Server yahoo (Root), both of whom dominate, this forum is a good information source now. This is my advice.
Wifey says:
BM broke another record...

They just recalled more cars than they sold in the last five years.

Too Funny.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9837 May 21, 2014
A little bit off the topic but still on the topic of electric vehicles.

A very cool home built electric bike. Strange video in that the builder never speaks. The builder made it to look like a V twin bike. At 4:00 you can see him go in reverse. Easy to do in an electric. You just put the "shifter" into reverse and the electric motor spins backwards. No gearing needed.

about 95% of all motorcycles do not have a reverse.

This is also his video. It is an electric bycicle he is built. His designs for future bikes are at the end of the video. Extremely cool designs. This guy has some real talent. Very cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9838 May 21, 2014
My favorite electric motorcycle. The E-Tracer

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9839 May 23, 2014
This is cool. A charge cord that can handle 240V or 120V. It costs a hefty $650, so I cringed when I saw that.

But then I realized that a lot of folks rent and would never install a 240V charging unit. This cord will work in the regular 240 plug and can be taken along when one moves. Pretty good idea.

It is compatible with just about every plug in except for the Tesla. Good idea.

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/turbocord #
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9840 May 25, 2014
A pretty cool video review. However, a couple of points were wrong. At 2 minutes, one of the commentators states that the gas engine kicked in because it was needed to add a little bit of boost.
In fact, the Volt's engine never comes on until the battery is depleted. Regardless of the load put on it. It had to be in gas mode already.
At 3:11, the other commentator states that they had to travel 53 miles to get to the race track. So, they were in gas mode when they arrived. However, in the same breath he states that the gas engine is powering the wheels, which is also wrong. I know that this commentator understands how the Volt works. I've seen other reviews by them. So, he just misspoke.
At 4:08, he states that there is a lot of beeping. Well, the bell dinging was because the car was on all the time. It was just a way of telling the driver to not walk away and leave it on.
The 3 quick horn blasts were a warning that the fob (there is no key) was in the car and not on the person's body. Also a warning to not walk away and leave the fob in the car.
But all in all, a pretty good review. A pretty good track time for a heavy car. Came very close to the Mazda 6 time and a little less than 3 seconds slower than a Jetta. Not bad for a car that's supposed to be a tank. The Mazda 6 weights in at 3,186 lbs. The Volt weighs in at 3,794 lbs. A 600 lb. difference and only .45 difference in time.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9841 May 26, 2014
Here is another interesting tidbit to note about the previous video. The BMW 435i is rated at 5.5 seconds for a 0-60 time,(Car & Driver lists it at 5.0 seconds).

The Volt is rated at 9.2 seconds by the same group. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

There was a 4.9 second difference in their lap times. The BMW came out ahead, of course. However, considering that the BMW probably gained 1.5 - 2 seconds at the start, that lap time comes down to a respectable difference of only 3.4 to 2.9 seconds for the remainder of that lap.

The Volt weighs almost 200 lbs more than the BMW.

Not bad for a car that some folks think drives like a boat anchor.

Root

Shreveport, LA

#9843 May 26, 2014
Didn't know the Volt was so fast. I would like to see prius and Leave times for an outright and honest comparison.

Since: May 14

Marble Falls, TX

#9848 May 28, 2014
I am a product developer from Austin,Texas who has developed a new product for the automotive industry, which will provide safety for children, the elderly, the handicapped and even pets, who are accidentally left in a hot vehicle. My goal behind developing this product is to help save the lives of those who may fall victim to vehicular heatstroke and to add to the convenience and comfort of automobile ownership.This product has been published in a few newspapers and covered on the local news here in Austin, Tx. I am trying to get more media coverage on this much needed and life saving product. To see more on this product please visit links below. Thank You!
http://kxan.com/2014/05/23/developing-a-car-c...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Protect-us-Save...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9849 May 29, 2014
Nice

Since: May 14

Marble Falls, TX

#9851 May 30, 2014
Root wrote:
Nice
Hoping that I can get backing and find investors to help launch the product!
Advice

Toronto, Canada

#9852 May 30, 2014
I am a gay man from Canada and I'm rich. I own a business and my daughters run it. I drive a Volt and I'm a pilot. My Volt has saved so much money I can afford to help. Sometimes I wear panties with a hole in the buttocks section. I am a backer.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

#9854 May 31, 2014
Advice wrote:
I am a gay man from Canada and I'm rich. I own a business and my daughters run it. I drive a Volt and I'm a pilot. My Volt has saved so much money I can afford to help. Sometimes I wear panties with a hole in the buttocks section. I am a backer.
Fake proxy server post.
Root, the proxy server impersonator is doing his thing again.
Sick!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Sat Anon 318
News ZF Ceo Sommer steps down after losing power str... Fri Solarman 1
OBDSTAR H100 vs. F100 Ford Mazda key programmer Dec 7 Ambrosio 1
News Here's Chevrolet's fastest, most powerful Corve... Dec 5 Vett owner 1
What do you think of the new Lambo SUV? The Urus. Dec 4 Ak47d 1
News 2008 Chrysler Sebring Convertible (Oct '07) Dec 4 ragtopman 23
News Tony Stewart wants back in a NASCAR Xfinity car... Dec 3 Your phartse 25
BMW ISTA-D Rheingold 4.05.23 free dwonload her... (May '17) Sep '17 willburr555 5
More from around the web