Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 | Posted by: JJFADS | Full story: taintedgreen.com

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Comments
8,661 - 8,680 of 9,213 Comments Last updated Thursday Jul 24
Pete

East Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Judged:

Gov motors is a member of the corporate living dead, feasting on taxpayer brains while slowly deteriorating...

the first zombie company created by Obama’s cronyism.

While the obamamobile exists with the special attention to the creation of massive deficits – a “bleed until bankruptcy plan”.

Too Funny.
Pete

East Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Pete wrote:
Gov motors is a member of the corporate living dead, feasting on taxpayer brains while slowly deteriorating...
the first zombie company created by Obama’s cronyism.
While the obamamobile exists with the special attention to the creation of massive deficits – a “bleed until bankruptcy plan”.
Too Funny.
Wifey says:
That's very true...

Just to keep that communist party uaw alive...

as a huge tax credit for buyers of the God-please-don’t-spontaneously -combust Chevy Volt.

Too Funny.
Pete

East Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Pete wrote:
Wifey says:
That's very true...

Just to keep that communist party uaw alive...

as a huge tax credit for buyers of the God-please-don’t-spontaneously -combust Chevy Volt.

Too Funny.
Too Funny.
That's very true...

We’re going to lose well north of $42 billion on the auto bailouts...

and much more when you include tax breaks and credits.

Too Funny.
Pete

East Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2014

Pete wrote:
That's very true...

We’re going to lose well north of $42 billion on the auto bailouts...

and much more when you include tax breaks and credits.

Too Funny.
Wifey says:
That's very true...

Over 90 percent of BM's car loans are of the subprime variety...

meaning many folks won’t pay them back.

In order for BM not to go bankrupt, it’s going to need another cash infusion..

and very soon.

Too Funny.
Over Priced Cruze

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

Pete, being from Michigan you and your wife seem to be well informed about welfare motors.
Over Priced Cruze

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

Judged:

iluvmyVolt wrote:
This is a pretty good group of people who put out things electric. They are from England, so they do drive on the wrong side of the car!!
To find more of their videos, just click on the subtitle "fullychargedshow" just below the main title. There are a few videos there that cover pertinent subjects.
One of my favorites is this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
In the early days of the Volt, haters were saying that the Volt runs on coal because you have to charge the car from a coal burning facility. Wrong in many cases because a lot of Volts are in CA.
The other argument was that we will run out of electricity if we go to electric cars. Wrong because the gobs and gobs of kwh's used to make gas would not be used. It would, therefore be re-routed to my plug in my garage for my car.
But this video points out to those folks that their gas takes coal to refine. However, it also points out that it takes 4.5 kwh's to refine one gallon of gas. The haters jumped on that one. It was good for about a year. They pointed out that if it only takes 4.5 kwh's to refine a gallon of gas and they can drive 30 miles on that 4.5 kwh's, why is the Volt better if owners can only drive 3.15 miles per kwh???
They forgot about this. Why does that gallon of gas cost $4 and 4.5 kwh's cost me $0.42? Almost 10 times less? Well .....
Because, it take gobs of kwh's to just set up a drilling rig. Remember, the fuel used for set up is coal burning kwh produced gas. Then, it takes gobs of kwh's to run that rig. Then, it takes gobs of kwh's to ship or transport or pipe that oil. It then takes gobs of kwh's to refine. Then gobs more to transport, ship, pipe that gas. Then gobs of kwh's to make the trucks, ships, pipes, gas stations, gas pumps and on and on and on and on and on ..........
I provided a link before that show that if it were not for subsidies directly linked to oil and all that makes gas go 'round, a gallon of gas would cost over $11 in this current market. That would be a true free market. People would abandon their gas cars on the street!
At the end of this video, Elon Musk said "We'd have plenty of electricity for electric cars if we'd just stop refining oil".
Add thermodynamics to the long list of topics you are clueless about. Your ignorance is disturbing.
Over Priced Cruze Homo

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

Judged:

The main reason I sold my Hyundai for a Volt is because the Volt saves me money and has lower cost of ownership.

Obsessed and Over Priced Dolt
Advice

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

Judged:

Over Priced Cruze wrote:
<quoted text>
Add thermodynamics to the long list of topics you are clueless about. Your ignorance is disturbing.
I would agree with that, and would also agree that there's an equal element of clueless there when it comes to basic math and accounting.
The part that I find disturbing is that this individual is absolutely convinced of his own rectitude and the correctness of his fantasies---most, if not all of which are merely rhetorical claims and accusations..

PS, We note that the resident "Great Pretender" noted for his mimicked or pseudo usernames and proxy servers has caught up to you too!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

Judged:

Moving on. The ICE car is very inefficient. 15% at best by most accounts. This article lists the losses by category. We can throw out aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance because these are also losses experienced by the electric car. One may think that drive line loses are also experienced by an electric car, but they have no drive line. This includes the Volt, which is an electric car with a range extender generator.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transport...

In this article, Tesla states that the ICE vehicle is 35% efficient, but they are speaking of the losses experienced by the motor only. Certainly, idling is a loss to a gas car but not to an electric because the car is off when stopped. Some reports put fuel loss at stops at 5 - 7%. Pretty hefty.

http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric/efficie...

Stop / Start cars are now being produced. I've seen a couple at lights. You can actually hear the engine being cranked. Question. How long will the starter last?

From the link:

"On a manual transmission vehicle, stop-start is activated as follows: Stop car & depress clutch - move gear lever to neutral - release clutch - then the engine stops. The engine won't stop if the car is moving, even if the aforementioned steps are followed. The engine restarts when the clutch is depressed prior to selecting a gear to move the car. The engine may also restart if there is a demand for power from, for example, the AC system.

Since automobile accessories like air conditioners and water pumps have typically been designed to run on a serpentine belt on the engine, those systems must be redesigned to function properly when the engine is turned off. Typically, an electric motor is used to power these devices instead."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_syste...

It seems to be a lot of technology added to cars that already have as much as 10 times the moving parts of electric cars. In an electric, you just stop and the electric motor is off.

So, this explains why I can drive 180 miles on a bad day for the cost of 1 gallon of gas and an ICE vehicle can achieve, at best 50 mpg. Better than 3 times more efficient on my worst day.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2014

Judged:

A good way to clean brake dust on wheels. I have used steam for years for my hardwood floors.

I would use it on my Volt wheels but for the fact that I still have very little brake dust on my wheels, even after 2 1/2 years. That's because my brakes aren't used except for about 3% of the braking time. From 7 mph down to 3 mph is when the brake pads are phased in. Before that, regenerative braking is in effect. All electric motor. The car is programmed to make the pedal feel like normal braking.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2014

Judged:

Root wrote:
I can help you with this. In mathematics we have what's referred to as the decimal. The first spot after the decimal is the tenths position. I have included a link to a website that makes it fun to learn, there's even a fun math game for you to play.
http://www.mathsisfun.com/decimals.html
Thank you for this link. I will, in the future refer to this and be much more careful in my range reporting.

I claimed 203 miles per cost of gal. of gas. Yes, I did lie. Yes, I did round up. I mean, after all, why should I round down? The four numbers following the decimal were .9339. In essence, this is .94, right? In essence, this is 1, right? I mean, once we get to the hundredths, let's round off, up or down.

But, being that I don't want to associate myself with all those liars who own their Volts, rounding up to make their range look better, I will always use the full number after the decimal in the future. Thus, my day was 202.9339853399733 miles per cost of 1 gal. of gas .... not 203.

Question. How far is .0660146600267 of a mile? Answer: I don't care.
Over Priced Cruze Missile

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2014

Judged:

Did somebody say hardwood? The Volt saves money and is strong as a hardwood floor. I can't think of another car as good as the Volt.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

Cool commercial for Via Motors. The folks who used the Voltec technology and put it into a full sized 100 mpg truck / van / SUV. Companies like Verizon and PG&E are in line to use these trucks. PG&E estimates these trucks will save the company about $7,000 a year. Over $9 million fleet wide.

While the Volt and the Via Motors truck are both series hybrids, they are not completely the same. They differ in that the Volt does not have a transmission while the Via Motors truck does. The Volt is a single speed vehicle. Just like most street electrics like Tesla. Also, the Via Motors vehicle does not have a planetary. The Volt planetary is used to blend the output of the motors depending on the state of charge and the output demand. The Via Motors system has a very powerful 400 hp electric motor that needs no assistance. The gas and electric motors that make up the generator in the Via are always connected.

Why doesn't the Volt need a transmission? The Volt doesn't need a second gear ratio because the brilliant engineers at GM designed the Volt with two electric motors instead of just one. Instead of a one piece generator, like the Via, they split the electric and gas motors to allow them to function separately at times. The Volt's final drive ratio is always 2.16 to 1 via the gear box which is between the planetary and the wheels.

When the Volt is traveling at about 70 mph, and in full electric, the 55 kw electric motor is clutched to the 111 kw electric drive motor. This allows the Volt to go up to the 100 mph it is limited to. GM engineers figured that it is better to use the smaller electric motor for assistance than to design a transmission which would add more weight and more moving parts.

Cool stuff.

Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Tesla sets new record in Canadar. Leaf moves 77 Leaves.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091847_p...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2014

Judged:

Let's talk about batteries. It's been stated here that the batteries will die before their time. Not a worry though because of the warranty. Question: Why would GM warranty the battery for 8 year / 100,000 mile, 150,000 miles in some states, with no more than 23% depletion if the battery was a piece of crap? Answer: Because it isn't a piece of crap. Moving on.

If the 8 year and the 100,000 miles limits on the Volt battery occured on the same day, the driver would average 34.24657534246575 miles per day. Being a slave to the decimal. That is almost exactly what the average American drives in their round trip commute to work, per the census.

Well, I only average 18.35106382978723 miles per day. Mainly because I don't have to drive the unfun miles I used to when I drove to work.
17,250 miles driven.
940 days of ownership.
18.35106382978723 miles per day avg. Fun miles.

Fun miles are total miles driven per day minus the unfun miles. In my case, 17,250 fun miles minus 0 unfun miles..

Anyway .... taking the above calculations into consideration, according to those who believe that the battery will be dead in 4 years (see the article Root provided previously)....

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091747_c...

...... the battery will last only 49,640 miles, at best.

This means that my battery should have about 1/3 of it's range gone by now. This would mean that I should be seeing 27 miles at full charge now.

Hmmm .... I guess they forgot to tell my battery. Haven't seen under 40 since late March. In fact, I had a 43 mile range this morning.

Like the article states:

"and early indications seem to be that battery-capacity loss has been almost nonexistent."

That pretty much describes it.
Pete

Utica, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2014

iluvmyVolt wrote:
Let's talk about batteries. It's been stated here that the batteries will die before their time. Not a worry though because of the warranty. Question: Why would GM warranty the battery for 8 year / 100,000 mile, 150,000 miles in some states, with no more than 23% depletion if the battery was a piece of crap? Answer: Because it isn't a piece of crap. Moving on.
If the 8 year and the 100,000 miles limits on the Volt battery occured on the same day, the driver would average 34.24657534246575 miles per day. Being a slave to the decimal. That is almost exactly what the average American drives in their round trip commute to work, per the census.
Well, I only average 18.35106382978723 milesoi per day. Mainly because I don't have to drive the unfun miles I used to when I drove to work.
17,250 miles driven.
940 days of ownership.
18.35106382978723 miles per day avg. Fun miles.
Fun miles are total miles driven per day minus the unfun miles. In my case, 17,250 fun miles minus 0 unfun miles..
Anyway .... taking the above calculations into consideration, according to those who believe that the battery will be dead in 4 years (see the article Root provided previously)....
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091747_c...
...... the battery will last only 49,640 miles, at best.
This means that my battery should have about 1/3 of it's range gone by now. This would mean that I should be seeing 27 miles at full charge now.
Hmmm .... I guess they forgot to tell my battery. Haven't seen under 40 since late March. In fact, I had a 43 mile range this morning.
Like the article states:
"and early indications seem to be that battery-capacity loss has been almost nonexistent."
That pretty much describes it.
Huh...

BM batteries?...

Yep the best in the world.

And Made in Korea.

Come to think of it the battery is 95% of the golf cart.

Too Funny.
Pete The Over Priced Teet

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2014

Judged:

Huh...

BM batteries?...

Yep the best in the world.

And Made in Korea.

Come to think of it the battery is 95% of the golf cart.

Too Funny when my Elantra gets slapped by the Volt!

Us Koreans can't out do Volt yet but we will!!

Pete the Over Priced Teet
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2014

Judged:

Actually the Volt batteries are made in Michigan, though geographic locale isn't that important, being corrected is.
Advice

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2014

Judged:

The truth about Volt batteries--made in Korea and only recently made in Michigan. BTW....

Prior to October 2011 Volt Batteries were made entirely in Korea, and the battery supplier--Korean Battery Maker LG Chen--supplied them all from Korea.

After !51 Million Dollars of the US Govt's largess (aka Govt Welfare), LG Chen moved its Korean battery making to Holland Michigan--in 2011.

But because Volt sales were so low, LG Chen until just now continued to supply its Michigan assembly operation with Lithium Ion Cells from Korea, and the Holland plant operated at a much slower rate than originally planned--assembly only.
The Michigan facility has only just started making Lithium Ion Cells on its own.
In the meantime, LG Chen has been forced to pay back some of its subsidy money back to the US Govt., mainly because the plant in Michigan had reneged on its promise of full employment.

It is only operating with a skeleton staff at present because of poor sales of Volt..
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2014

Judged:

Actually the plant is not operating on a skeleton crew (insert link and date from your outated and incorrect info) here __________

Just as I said, the batteries are made in Michigan for Canada's and the undisputed sales champion crown holder of US's most popular car in this segment, the Volt (among others). No need to switch names and spoof homosexaul talk. Be nice and polite or I will have to correct you again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

26 Users are viewing the Autos Forum right now

Search the Autos Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Court favors disclosing anti-gay marriage donors 32 min eJohn 1,746
Arizona to get unaccompanied immigrant youths 33 min Memo From Turner 46
How are you with Ford !? 9 hr ExFord 1
New Experience !? Tue ForestTown 2
Poll: GOP, tea party unfavorables at all-time h... (Oct '13) Tue mjjcpa 112
LINCOLN vs CADILLAC: Which is better??? (Jan '08) Mon LincolnBitch 242
Lawmaker mistakes US officials for representati... Mon WOW 2
•••

Buy a New Car