Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11773 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#9567 Apr 9, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Wow ... had an awesome day today. The cost of gas has risen enough and the weather has warmed up enough that I broke the 200 mpg level for the first time. That is for charging costs.
I drove 22.7 miles.
I used 4.9 kwh's.
I pay 9 cents per kwh. This equates to $0.44 worth of electricity for those 22.7 miles.
Better known as $.0194 per mile.
Gas is over $4 per gallon for regular.$4.17 for mid grade.
Using $4 per gallon,$0.0194 per mile equates to 206 miles for the cost of one gallon of gas.
And this is from a 2 year old Volt that is less efficient than the 2013's and 2014's.
What an awesome car.
Yes it's an awesome limited use vehicle for people who don't venture too far from home. Then again, since most Volt owners don't go anywhere, why not an all electric?
Ultra Limited Use Vehicle

Austin, TX

#9568 Apr 9, 2014
Yes the Prius plugin is an awesome limited use vehicle for people who don't venture too far from home. Then again, since most Prius owners don't go anywhere, why not an all electric? My Volt can go anywhere and I don't have to worry.

“Oh Canada”

Since: Feb 14

Windsor, Canada

#9569 Apr 9, 2014
When we were in Mexico our Volt returned 700 MPG and we had no problem rolling up the windows and listening to Mariachi music without bothering anyone. It was the greatest vacation of all time and we'll go back next year in an even newer Volt.
Pete

Toronto, Canada

#9570 Apr 9, 2014
Devilsadvocate_ wrote:
When we were in Mexico our Volt returned 700 MPG and we had no problem rolling up the windows and listening to Mariachi music without bothering anyone. It was the greatest vacation of all time and we'll go back next year in an even newer Volt.
Volt is the best car in the world. The prius can't keep up with the Volt on the hwy.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9571 Apr 9, 2014
Obsessed With My Volt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it's an awesome limited use vehicle for people who don't venture too far from home. Then again, since most Volt owners don't go anywhere, why not an all electric?
Well, first of all, there are owners who have put almost as many gas miles as electric miles. Volt owners have driven a total of 704 million miles. Only 440 million have been electric. So, almost half of all Volt miles have been in gas mode. So, your statement that all Volt owners don't use gas is wrong.

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.ht... |_GM+Chevy+Retention_|_GG-RTN- Chevy-Volt-BP-SN-BMM_|_Awards_ |_%2Bvolt%20%2Bchevy%20awards

As for your problem with me. You see, I'm retired. Most of the miles you put on your car are unfun miles. Those are work to and fro miles. I don't have unfun miles. All my miles are fun miles. At a whopping 200 mpg right now.

Now, as for the question, why not buy an electric? The only electric that would suit my situation is the Tesla S. Why, you ask? Good question. You see, when I go to an A's or Giants game, I need to use gas. The Leaf would not make it unless I could find a charger at the game and they don't have them. Same situation when I visit my son's house. The Leaf wouldn't make it. I'd be on the back end of a tow truck every time.

Now, this is the part that you may find a little hard to understand. If I bought a Leaf .... follow me now .... I would also have to buy another car to go to A's and Giants games and to my son's house. Another car payment. Another insurance payment. Lousy gas milleage. Oil changes that I never have to do on my Volt. Brake jobs that I will never have to do on my Volt.

So, is that too hard for you to understand? The Tesla would cover all of my bases, but it costs $100,000. I can buy 4 Volts for that price.

Hope this helps. OK ... enjoy your 25 mpg.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9573 Apr 9, 2014
Well, I guess the Toilet-a people got jealous. They saw that GM might beat them to the recall championship this year. So, they decided to recall another 6,000,000 cars.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-h...

That's added to the 2,000,000 plus this year. It's only the beginning of April.
Obsessed With My Volt

Florham Park, NJ

#9575 Apr 10, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, this is the part that you may find a little hard to understand. If I bought a Volt.... follow me now .... I would also have to buy another car to do all the fun things in life that active people like to do. Another car payment. Another insurance payment. A basically very limited use vehicle. Plus the Volt is a maintenance time bomb.
BTW: Could you explain why Volts are so pathetic?
Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#9576 Apr 10, 2014
Make That:

Could you explain why Volts sales are so pathetic?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9578 Apr 10, 2014
Make That:
Could you explain why Volts sales are so pathetic?
And by the way, if you want to talk pathetic sales, only 99 Mini Cooper Coupe's were sold last month.

By your definition, you should be trolling on a Mini web site. I'm sure they would love you there. After all, they are foreign cars and you're a foreigner.
Dum

Kansas City, MO

#9579 Apr 10, 2014
Dumb
Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#9582 Apr 12, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
And by the way, if you want to talk pathetic sales, only 99 Mini Cooper Coupe's were sold last month.
By your definition, you should be trolling on a Mini web site. I'm sure they would love you there. After all, they are foreign cars and you're a foreigner.
Another irrational argument from you. Try to stay on topic. Could you explain why the wondermobile doesn't sell?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9583 Apr 12, 2014
<quoted text>
Another irrational argument from you. Try to stay on topic. Could you explain why the wondermobile doesn't sell?
Dolt, the prius plug job does sell. Just because Volt is the reigning sales title champion and crown holder is no reason to get upset.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9584 Apr 12, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Well, I guess the Toilet-a people got jealous. They saw that GM might beat them to the recall championship this year. So, they decided to recall another 6,000,000 cars.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-h...
That's added to the 2,000,000 plus this year. It's only the beginning of April.
Is prius part of the recall?
Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#9585 Apr 12, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Is prius part of the recall?
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

General Motors has recalled nearly 7 million vehicles so far this year, almost as many cars and trucks as it recalled in the United States over the last four years combined.

Is the Volt part of the recall? If not they should be!
Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#9586 Apr 12, 2014
The knuckleheads at GM must be delusional:

http://www.sunherald.com/2014/04/11/5489039/a...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9587 Apr 12, 2014
<quoted text>
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
General Motors has recalled nearly 7 million vehicles so far this year, almost as many cars and trucks as it recalled in the United States over the last four years combined.
And toyota still has em beat. Lol, but toyota's recalls are a good thing so nothing wrong with that.

Seeing that Volt is the sales champion title holder, I wonder if the prius plug job's recalls hurt its sales?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9588 Apr 12, 2014
Dolt grips head as sweat beeds drip off the nose..
Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#9589 Apr 12, 2014
Root wrote:
Dolt grips head as sweat beeds drip off the nose..
iluvmyVolt doesn't like being referred to as a Dolt.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9590 Apr 12, 2014
<quoted text>
iluvmyVolt doesn't like being referred to as a Dolt.
You are the dolt, man with many names and a tundra to boot. Wipe sweat, move forward, Volt pulled a Jack the ripper on prius. Celeberate!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9591 Apr 12, 2014
<quoted text>
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
That's true. That's why I said that Toilet-a had to do them one better and recalled another 6 million on top of the 2.5 million they have already recalled.

And as you pointed out yourself (I think you weren't thinking), it is as many as the past 4 years. That's because GM has had the least amount of recalls except for Suzuki. Suzuki makes cars?

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/20...

And I guess you forgot that the Volt had the least amount of complaints in its' class and zero recalls in the past 3 years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014...

I don't mind your lapses in memory, though because it allows me to re-post facts that slipped your mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MPPS V18 Works on win7 Did all cars no problem! Fri uobd2 1
News Tesla's real capacity problem? Too many employees Fri MsAngelo 2
Lexia Diagbox 8.46/ 8.42/ 8.38/ 8.37/ 8.35/ 8.1... Thu Jerry523 1
How To Install FGTech Galletto V54 On Win 7 Thu uobd2 3
which one is best: XTOOL EZ500 / EZ400/ X100 PAD Thu jimmyLIN 3
(Promotion) Xtool X-100 PAD2 Pro Special Functi... Thu jimmyLIN 2
Xtool X-100 PAD vs. Xtool X100 PRO vs. X300 Plus (Feb '16) Thu jimmyLIN 4
More from around the web