Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 20 comments on the Nov 30, 2010, taintedgreen.com story titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9395 Mar 18, 2014
This is the doltbert's dilemma.

The Volt has a car computer. So does his Hyundai.
The Volt has a gas engine. So does his Hyundai.
The Volt has 4 wheels, an interior, and a body. So does his Hyundai.

The Volt has no transmission. His Hyundai does.

The Volt has a planetary. His Hyundai doesn't. About 20 moving parts. His transmission has hundreds of moving parts. Transmissions break down.

The Volt has 2 electric motors. His Hyundai doesn't. Electric motors last 4 to 5 times longer than his gas engine. Even longer.

The Volt has a battery that has, thus far, proved to be very reliable. There are several Volt owners with more than 50k miles. 2 or 3 with over 70k miles and they are still achieving over 40 miles at full charge. And those are the older, less efficient Volts. Also, plug in cabs have logged well over 250k miles on their batteries.

The Hyundai is a ticking time bomb which has already exploded.

(cont'd on next post).

nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9396 Mar 18, 2014
Doltbert's dilemma # 2:

Now, if you look at this list once more:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014...

You will see that GM has no cars in the above average category as far as number of complaints per 100 vehicles.

Look at what is the 5th worst complaint car. Hyundai. Now ..... and this has been my point all along .... Hyundai is rated one of the most loved cars by their owners.

What's my point? Foreign car owners are much more accepting of car problems than people who switch to American cars and have problems.

They take their Toyota's and Hyundai's to the shop for repairs and recalls but they still swear they have a great car.

HUH?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9397 Mar 18, 2014
Forgot to mention. In that list, GM has 2 cars in the best 5. And don't forget .... Volt was best in its category.
Ted

Springfield, IL

#9400 Mar 18, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text>No need to be a dickhead. Toyota's latest recall of 1.9 million Prius is still way above what the other company did, and that's just the prius. Anyhow, when you come up with something other than bullshit, I'll be here. Of course, your status shows me you probably can't because of your pissy little bias. Grow some balls.
No need to be clueless.......Anyway, the more they make, the more they sell, the more recalls they have.......not to hard to figure out. Now, GM knew they should have recalled the ingnition "death" switches and didnt.........
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9401 Mar 18, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
This is the doltbert's dilemma.
The Volt has a car computer. So does his Hyundai.
The Volt has a gas engine. So does his Hyundai.
The Volt has 4 wheels, an interior, and a body. So does his Hyundai.
The Volt has no transmission. His Hyundai does.
The Volt has a planetary. His Hyundai doesn't. About 20 moving parts. His transmission has hundreds of moving parts. Transmissions break down.
The Volt has 2 electric motors. His Hyundai doesn't. Electric motors last 4 to 5 times longer than his gas engine. Even longer.
The Volt has a battery that has, thus far, proved to be very reliable. There are several Volt owners with more than 50k miles. 2 or 3 with over 70k miles and they are still achieving over 40 miles at full charge. And those are the older, less efficient Volts. Also, plug in cabs have logged well over 250k miles on their batteries.
The Hyundai is a ticking time bomb which has already exploded.
(cont'd on next post).
nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk.
Very surprised to see this information, thanks for sharing.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9402 Mar 18, 2014
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>No need to be clueless.......Anyway, the more they make, the more they sell, the more recalls they have.......not to hard to figure out. Now, GM knew they should have recalled the ingnition "death" switches and didnt.........
Very true. You think they would have learned when Toyota didn't do anything about sudden acceleration problems way back in the mid 2000's.

The death toll was already over 30 in 2009. It eventually reached 85. Let's hope all auto makers learn their lesson.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9403 Mar 18, 2014
Toyota killed 85 people?
Over Priced Cruze

Newtown, CT

#9404 Mar 18, 2014
Root wrote:
Toyota killed 85 people?
Only the "Obsessed One" knows for sure.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9405 Mar 18, 2014
This is just awful.
Ted

Springfield, IL

#9407 Mar 18, 2014
It never ceases to amaze.........Toyota had "sudden acceleration" in worldwide auto sales and GM had "sudden deceleration" in sales in Detroit..........case closed! That is just awful!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9412 Mar 19, 2014
Looks like there will be two models of the new Volt, a four seat and a five seat model.
Devils Advocate

Tuxpan, Mexico

#9413 Mar 19, 2014
Please forgive this interruption.
But I think a couple of things need to be said.
A while back, I agreed to no longer participate in the silliness here--as long as no more silliness occurs.
I intend to hold to that promise, but I notice a few individuals skating pretty close to the edge, ie., name calling, pseudo usernames, deliberate instigating posts, ans so on.
So this is just a reminder--no more silliness please folks.
The second thing needing mention is this hyperbole about "89 deaths" due to Toyota and SUA.
To date, there have been 89 (give or take depending on the author) accidents causing death "alleged" to have been caused by unintended acceleration.
The action word is very clearly "alleged".
None of these allegations have been proved to be due to a Toyota glitch.
Even the NHTSA supports this.
The only direct connection existing to Toyota's SUA allegations has been in civil courts.
Civil litigation is and always will be a crap shoot depending on how convincing one side or the other can be.
Civil court decisions are made on the basis of "presumption", and not all all on guilt beyond doubt.
Neither guilt nor innocence is decided in civil litigation.
So It's wrong to make accusations of guilt toward Toyota in this matter.
Nothing has been proved to date in that regard.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9414 Mar 19, 2014
I'm curious to see what the new Volt looks like.
Ted

Springfield, IL

#9415 Mar 19, 2014
Im curious to ever see one on the road....let alone looks like! FYI, Toyota paid 1.2 billion for its failure to follow the rules...they can afford that amount. If GM has to pay anything even close to that amount, Detroit will have to bail them out.......Two birds with one stone!
Orwellian Dilemma

Austin, TX

#9416 Mar 19, 2014
Devils Advocate wrote:
Please forgive this interruption.
But I think a couple of things need to be said.
A while back, I agreed to no longer participate in the silliness here--as long as no more silliness occurs.
I intend to hold to that promise, but I notice a few individuals skating pretty close to the edge, ie., name calling, pseudo usernames, deliberate instigating posts, ans so on.
So this is just a reminder--no more silliness please folks.
The second thing needing mention is this hyperbole about "89 deaths" due to Toyota and SUA.
To date, there have been 89 (give or take depending on the author) accidents causing death "alleged" to have been caused by unintended acceleration.
The action word is very clearly "alleged".
None of these allegations have been proved to be due to a Toyota glitch.
Even the NHTSA supports this.
The only direct connection existing to Toyota's SUA allegations has been in civil courts.
Civil litigation is and always will be a crap shoot depending on how convincing one side or the other can be.
Civil court decisions are made on the basis of "presumption", and not all all on guilt beyond doubt.
Neither guilt nor innocence is decided in civil litigation.
So It's wrong to make accusations of guilt toward Toyota in this matter.
Nothing has been proved to date in that regard.
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-cont ent/uploads/2012/08/have-a-col d-glass-of.jpeg
Pete

United States

#9417 Mar 19, 2014
Ted wrote:
Im curious to ever see one on the road....let alone looks like! FYI, Toyota paid 1.2 billion for its failure to follow the rules...they can afford that amount. If GM has to pay anything even close to that amount, Detroit will have to bail them out.......Two birds with one stone!
Yep..
Toyota took the fall for gov motors...
That obummer admin used as a scapegoat to cover up the years of gov motors killing people...
And not reporting it to NHTA.
Now let's see them pay the piper...
And go under while doing it.
Ted

Springfield, IL

#9418 Mar 19, 2014
Toyota has more money than all the domestics all together.....More money then God. Look, when the ecomony was going in the crapper Obama became the Prez. When engineers knew GM was going to take a massive blow, a woman became the CEO....the white guys bail and let the wolves get their fill.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9419 Mar 19, 2014
This very day, Toyota was slapped with the larges fine ever to be assessed against an automobile company for it's handling of problems of sudden acceleration. The head of the FBI's New York office stated: "Toyota put sales over safety and profits over principle. The disregard Toyota had for the safety of the public was outrageous. Not only did Toyota fail to recall cars with problem parts, they continued to manufacture new cars with the same parts they knew were deadly.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-... .

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/toyota-to-pay-12-...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9420 Mar 19, 2014
Our resident "honest guy" made this statement:

"So It's wrong to make accusations of guilt toward Toyota in this matter.
Nothing has been proved to date in that regard"

. On the very date that our resident "honest guy" makes that statement, Toyota admits wrong doing and accepts the fine.

I guess he should have waited a few hours to make that statement.

And by the way:

"The reports include 89 deaths and 57 injuries over the same period. Previously, 52 deaths had been suspected of being connected to the problem."

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-vo...

Somebody needs to stop glossing over negative press about Toyota. He's wrong on both counts today.

That must bum him out. He waits for a month to say something and he puts his foot in his mouth twice.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9421 Mar 19, 2014
Ted wrote:
Toyota was bailed out in 2009. You should try using your keyboard to search once in a while.

If they can afford that amount, why did they receive subsidies for decades? And why did they go to their government with hat in hand asking for a bail out? Time after time?

Your making up stuff, doesn't make it correct.

Read this. This is history. This is Toyota. They couldn't keep afloat for decades. The Japanese government bailed them out many, many times over.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/lo...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Toyota recalls even MORE Junk-1.3 million ORIENTAL (Jan '09) 6 hr Over Priced Cruze 359
News 50s Fords Haul Moonshine To Quench The Devil's ... (Nov '08) Fri fageol44s 37
News Audi prepares electric SUV to fight Tesla but b... Fri hiranjgarbhkkmissier 1
Milpitas limo Services (Dec '12) Thu Angela K 7
News Man accused of smuggling turtles working on ple... Apr 22 tip of the iceberg 1
Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 535i for Sale Apr 22 Eurobahn 1
Could you please let me know if bmw multi tool ... Apr 21 Liliflower 3
More from around the web