Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#9446 Mar 22, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text> You can never quite come up with anything to prove someone wrong or support your points, you just ramble.
No need to The Obsessed One's twisting of facts, figures, and statistics are well documented.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9447 Mar 22, 2014
No, what's documented are your ramblings, but anyway. I still think you shoud bring back Voice of reality and some road trip / andy g stories.
Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#9448 Mar 22, 2014
Root wrote:
No, what's documented are your ramblings, but anyway. I still think you shoud bring back Voice of reality and some road trip / andy g stories.
Who is Voice of Reality? Does he / she eat a lot of garlic?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9449 Mar 22, 2014
There’s no way out dude. You made to many mistakes. Not to worry, I'll still play along.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9450 Mar 22, 2014
Another article that proves that owners of foreign cars are far more forgiving of their cars problems than U.S. car owners that were formally owners of foreign cars. This is for the year 2012.

Toyota and Honda recalled 8.4 million cars while GM and Ford recalled 2.4 million. This article goes on to explain that brand loyalty has more to do with perception than fact.

"Perhaps surprisingly, Toyota and Honda–two brands that are otherwise highly regarded for their quality and reliability–combined for more than half of all recalls issued during 2012. Toyota voluntarily recalled nearly 5 million Toyota, Lexus and Scion models by our count, while Honda initiated programs for over 3.4 million Honda and Acura vehicles.(The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration won’t release official tallies until later in January."

"By comparison, General Motors recalled nearly 1.3 million cars and trucks, while Ford recalled over 1.1 million vehicles during 2012 according to our tabulations. Ford in particular suffered the public relations indignity of having to recall a brand-new model, the redesigned-for-2013 Escape crossover SUV, three separate times shortly after its release, all for potential engine fires."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2012...

Owners of American cars know their cars are of good quality. Even when there is a recall. Total recall numbers and total complaint numbers bare that out.

And let us not forget that JD Power's vehicle dependability study of 3 year old cars had the Volt coming out on top in its' category.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9451 Mar 22, 2014
Root wrote:
There’s no way out dude. You made to many mistakes. Not to worry, I'll still play along.
This may interest you. I know it certainly interests the haters. Most folks don't know that electric car ranges can vary dramatically from one hour to the next, in extreme cases. I know that sounds weird, but let me explain. I am not speaking of the state of charge. I am speaking of the range that is assigned to the car's display by the computer.

An example. Because I was scheduled to pick up my grand kids from school on Friday, my day was not planned out. I ran a couple of errands before I picked them up. I only drove 8 miles.

Because I only drove 8 miles, I decided not to plug in at night. I had 31 miles left on my display, giving me a 39 mile total range. However, the next morning, the display showed only 27 miles left on my battery range. A difference of 4 miles. This was due to the thermal management systems not being used because the car was not plugged in.

The first time this happened to me, I kind of panicked. That was before I came to realize what state of charge meant. I now know that the battery still had about 75% charge left, but that the computer was telling me that, because the battery was not at optimum temperature, and, if the temperature remained the same, I would only get 27 miles. Well, the car's computer takes care of that once the car is in use. No problem.

I drove to Palo Alto this afternoon to meet some friends for a bar-b. I put on 21 more miles, bringing my odometer to 29 miles driven. What was my range by the time I got home? I almost ended up with a 44 mile range. I still had 15 miles left on my battery display. In other words, I drove 21 miles but I only used 12 miles from the display. I "gained" 9 miles.

It takes some time to get used to these things, but it always comes out for good. Had I plugged in at night, I probably would have achieved a 45 mile total range, but it's just not worth it to me any longer. The difference between 165 miles for the cost of 1 gallon of gas and 160 miles for the cost of 1 gallon is not that big of a deal any more.

Now, if I was driving a Prius .... well, I would sell it.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9452 Mar 22, 2014
Root wrote:
Made a video to piss off the haters. This is a preview.

Ted

Springfield, IL

#9453 Mar 23, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Made a video to piss off the haters. This is a preview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jhQzt8TrnjEXX
We dont hate domestics, we just love quality and the domestics arent there yet! We have not seen a volt on the raod for week.......maybe they should rename the Volt.......Ghost.....nice!
Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#9454 Mar 23, 2014
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>We dont hate domestics, we just love quality and the domestics arent there yet! We have not seen a volt on the raod for week.......maybe they should rename the Volt.......Ghost.....nice!
In the Northeast Volts are as rare as the Dodo Bird. Nobody seems to be able to explain why this amazing car is a bust.
Ted

Springfield, IL

#9455 Mar 23, 2014
Obsessed With My Volt wrote:
<quoted text>
In the Northeast Volts are as rare as the Dodo Bird. Nobody seems to be able to explain why this amazing car is a bust.
Its been going on for 40+ years......the japs pulled the rug out from under the domestics. If the the japs made the Volt it would be all over the roads just like the Prius..........Domestics forgot about whats important......the consumer.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9456 Mar 23, 2014
Oooooh .... quality.

“With all the lawsuits, you're talking billions and billions of dollars in lawsuits, they've gotten a bit gun-shy,” says Paul Argenti, an expert in corporate communications at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth University, pointing out that in the last two years, Toyota has recalled more than 10 million vehicles. He believes the company has grown cautious since its 2009 and 2010 recall of millions of vehicles due to unintended acceleration."

That's 10 million cars recalled in the last 2 years ... toilet-a. They recalled 6 times more cars than GM last year. Don't forget, they have led about 8 years in a row. They already lead once again this year. Oooooohhhh quality.

Ooooohhhh GM is second best in the list of recalls, just behind Suzuki. Suzuki? They sell cars?

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/20...

2014 ... and it's only March:

uh oh ... 2 million Prius recall
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/12/toy...

uh oh .... Highlander recall
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140311/CARN...

uh oh .... Lexus recall
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/14/us-...

uh oh ... 960,000 more this year
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1090303_...

uh oh .... another 261,000 recalled
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/201...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9460 Mar 24, 2014
I think these Toyota recalls may be the reason so many Volt owners are former Prius owners and also the reason prius plug job sales are low.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9461 Mar 24, 2014
Root wrote:
I think these Toyota recalls may be the reason so many Volt owners are former Prius owners and also the reason prius plug job sales are low.
You know, I have to give Toileta credit. They are quick on the draw. If you look at this link once again, you will see that Toileta had about 6 times more recalls than GM. In fact, GM had the least except for Suzuki. Suzuki sells cars?

But if you look at this link again, you will see that GM has 8 vehicles with the least amount of complaints. They are number 1. However, Toileta is number 2 with 7 vehicles with the least amount of complaints.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014...

Now, how do you reconcile the fact Toileta is the recall monster of the world, yet they are second best in least complaints. I do have the answer.

TOILETA CALLS THEIR CUSTOMERS TO LET THEM KNOW THAT THE PIECE OF CRAP THEY OWN NEEDS TO GO TO THE SHOP BEFORE IT TURNS INTO A PIECE OF CRAP.

So, the customer doesn't have time to call in a complaint. Their car is still in the shop, but Toileta covers their arss in the complaint department.

Pretty shifty, eh?
Ted

Springfield, IL

#9462 Mar 24, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I have to give Toileta credit. They are quick on the draw. If you look at this link once again, you will see that Toileta had about 6 times more recalls than GM. In fact, GM had the least except for Suzuki. Suzuki sells cars?
But if you look at this link again, you will see that GM has 8 vehicles with the least amount of complaints. They are number 1. However, Toileta is number 2 with 7 vehicles with the least amount of complaints.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014...
Now, how do you reconcile the fact Toileta is the recall monster of the world, yet they are second best in least complaints. I do have the answer.
TOILETA CALLS THEIR CUSTOMERS TO LET THEM KNOW THAT THE PIECE OF CRAP THEY OWN NEEDS TO GO TO THE SHOP BEFORE IT TURNS INTO A PIECE OF CRAP.
So, the customer doesn't have time to call in a complaint. Their car is still in the shop, but Toileta covers their arss in the complaint department.
Pretty shifty, eh?
Relax ,ihatemyvolt Ghetto Moters will be ok........Detroit has their back..........No worries!!!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9463 Mar 24, 2014
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>Relax ,ihatemyvolt Ghetto Moters will be ok........Detroit has their back..........No worries!!!!
I know. Lowest complaint rate and lowest recall rate. So, don't worry, toileta will be OK. I know the subsidies have run out .... after 90 years!!! And I don't think the Japanese are willing to bail them out anymore. 25 years of bail outs was enough.

But .... they will stay in the news with all them recalls. Sheeeeeeesh .... they are trying to break their own record this year!!!

OK .... enjoy the recalls.

ps .... I'm kinda bumbed. I only got about 145 mpg today. I was having too much fun to slow down.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9465 Mar 24, 2014
Obsessed With My Volt wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so full of $#!+ None of your babbling statistics mean anything. You have a proven history of lies and butchering simple math, financial analysis, and statistics. Give it a rest, you do more harm than good to the Volt.
I butcher simple math? Remember ... you are the one that said that it would take me 16 years to make up the difference between my car and your car.

Remember those 15 or so cars that I compared my car to using KBB's 5 year cost of ownership? Every one had my car catching up to them without the credits. That's without the credits.

So, I would say that your math is butchered by at least 3 times. 16 years? Are you still claiming that?

And don't forget, when you finally get enough money to buy a house, I am the one that turned you on to bi-weekly payments. You don't have to thank me. What cracks me up is that you will probably rather spend a couple hundred thousand more than to do something I suggested.

I'm laughing.
Ultra Limited Use Vehicle

Florham Park, NJ

#9466 Mar 25, 2014
I Haven't seen a Volt in the Northeast for months, and I've been thru every state (I couldn't do that if I owned a Volt). If there are any Volts, the owners must put away the "Ultra Limited Use Vehicle" for the winter; what a great car, it will go down in history alongside the infamous American Motors Pacer.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9467 Mar 25, 2014
Uh oh, troll came out to play after finding out the prius plug job sales numbers.
Ultra Limited Use Vehicle

Florham Park, NJ

#9468 Mar 25, 2014
Root wrote:
Uh oh, troll came out to play after finding out the prius plug job sales numbers.
Speaking of trolls, when are you going to breakdown and buy one of those amazing Volts.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9469 Mar 25, 2014
Ultra Limited Use Vehicle wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of trolls, when are you going to breakdown and buy one of those amazing Volts.
Ha, you know I have no use for a Volt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Volvo Vcads 88890180 PTT software Free download 1 hr hamedrezaee 14
How to use XPROG-M ECU Wiring Diagram for BMW C... 12 hr Janealen 2
Xtool X-100 PAD vs. Xtool X100 PRO vs. X300 Plus 12 hr Jackcloud 3
News Goodbye, 12-volts 16 hr Solarman 1
Volvo 88890300 Vocom Interface PTT 2.03.20 for ... Mon uobd2 1
toyota recalls 850,000 trucks due to frame rot! (Apr '08) Jun 25 thomas sewell 212
original Xhorse VVDI MB BGA TOOL--- it's all here (Dec '15) Jun 25 question 3
More from around the web