Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11780 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Root

Shreveport, LA

#9368 Mar 14, 2014
Let's all celebrate these cars. Volt has now saved over 21 million gallons of gasoline.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9369 Mar 14, 2014
And for those who are in the dark as to the history of the Prius. It was decided by the Japanese government to develop a hybrid only because American car companies were in the process of developing one. The Japanese government did not want to be left behind.

The American auto companies, once again made a deal with big oil and agreed to drop their programs in return for assurance that gas prices would not go up drastically.

The Japanese government was caught with too much subsidy money invested in the program. They decided to go ahead, rather than throw all that money away.

So, to say that Toyota had a vision is far from reality. They were subsidized by their government, 100% by their government and they had absolutely no decision in the matter.

It was an American vision that got the ball rolling. Toyota got gobs of subsidy money thrust upon them. It was not their choice.

That's probably why Prius is one of the most recalled cars in history. They didn't care from the beginning.
iluvmyfoot

Springfield, IL

#9371 Mar 14, 2014
GM is amazing! Garbage in, garbage out!!!!!!!!! Wrong info. Govt Motors and Detroit are amazing! I mean, been able to lie and hide that(ignition deaths) from the Detroit free press and the UAW, wow!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9372 Mar 14, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
And for those who are in the dark as to the history of the Prius. It was decided by the Japanese government to develop a hybrid only because American car companies were in the process of developing one. The Japanese government did not want to be left behind.
The American auto companies, once again made a deal with big oil and agreed to drop their programs in return for assurance that gas prices would not go up drastically.
The Japanese government was caught with too much subsidy money invested in the program. They decided to go ahead, rather than throw all that money away.
So, to say that Toyota had a vision is far from reality. They were subsidized by their government, 100% by their government and they had absolutely no decision in the matter.
It was an American vision that got the ball rolling. Toyota got gobs of subsidy money thrust upon them. It was not their choice.
That's probably why Prius is one of the most recalled cars in history. They didn't care from the beginning.
That’s an interesting take about the Prius recalls. I wonder if it was more along the lines of producing a new vehicle with gobs of software that really wasn’t understood rather than a case of not caring. I’ve found the Japs to be very caring about their product. Deficiencies tend to be in other areas.
iluvmyfoot

Springfield, IL

#9373 Mar 14, 2014
A couple I know had jobs with Ford. He was a supervisor and she was a line worker. They made lots of money.....they also bought lots of coccaine and pot. They both lost their jobs when the economy went bad. He died from complication of coccaine and she went crazy from the drugs and job failures. My sister was married to a GM worker(was). He inherited a farm in lower MI. He was busted twice, not once, TWICE for growing and distrib. He had to sell the farm to stay ou of jail. All his GM buddies are the same pukes. Buy a dumbastic auto......NEVER!!!!!!!!!!And, if a dumbastic ever buys out a foriegn auto maker we will walk everywhere!!!!!!!!!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9374 Mar 15, 2014
I love this article. American's duped into thinking that jobs created by Japanese auto makers are a windfall.

The subsidy that Kentucky was strong armed into giving Toyota came to $195,333 per job.

From the link:

"Rick Haglund of MichEconomy wrote that the Japanese car company will spend $360 million at the Georgetown complex, which will allow the company to manufacture about 50,000 Lexus ES 350 models a year. The expansion will generate 750 jobs. But Kentucky is paying a hefty price to get those jobs. The Bluegrass State has tentatively approved a tax incentive package for Toyota valued at $146.5 million. That equates to $195,333 per job. "

http://macombpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/04/36...

But it turns out the new 750 jobs will receive almost half the current worker's salary at the same plant.$26 an hour.

http://macombpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/04/36...

So, it turns out the state of Kentucky is paying the new workers salaries for almost 5 years when you consider that the new workers won't receive top pay for at least 5 years.

Those are tax dollars paid by US citizens who may not even like Toyota for all their history of subsidies, strong arm tactics and recalls. Yet, they have no choice but to give money to a company they don't even like.

Let us not forget that Japan's strict regulations only allows 1 US auto to be imported for every 400 exported to the US. Also, they manipulate their yen to favor their auto makers, let alone the subsidies. Do you know why the Japanese government can get away with these tactics? Because the Japanese people are patriotic as all get out. Americans, in general, hate America now. They could care less if America tanks.

http://autos.aol.com/article/japan-bias/

This is what people who hate US autos defend. Huge subsidies, bad business practices, strong arm tactics and other factors that creates an unfair market, and cars that are constantly being recalled.

Haters hate subsidies for American cars. They turn a blind eye for subsidies for foreign cars. And this is just Toyota. Almost every foreign brand of car is subsidized by their governments.

I haven't purchased a foreign car since I bought a 1980 Plymouth Arrow. A Mitsubishi product. I've been car trouble free since.
iluvmyfoot

Springfield, IL

#9376 Mar 15, 2014
Wake up volt lover. Detroit and its auto companies have been handed billions. Where did most of the money go? For drugs and CEO bonuses. Oh, and to hide defects and engineering problems. The dumbastics cult will never change.........
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9377 Mar 15, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
I love this article. American's duped into thinking that jobs created by Japanese auto makers are a windfall.
The subsidy that Kentucky was strong armed into giving Toyota came to $195,333 per job.
From the link:
"Rick Haglund of MichEconomy wrote that the Japanese car company will spend $360 million at the Georgetown complex, which will allow the company to manufacture about 50,000 Lexus ES 350 models a year. The expansion will generate 750 jobs. But Kentucky is paying a hefty price to get those jobs. The Bluegrass State has tentatively approved a tax incentive package for Toyota valued at $146.5 million. That equates to $195,333 per job. "
http://macombpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/04/36...
But it turns out the new 750 jobs will receive almost half the current worker's salary at the same plant.$26 an hour.
http://macombpolitics.blogspot.com/2013/04/36...
So, it turns out the state of Kentucky is paying the new workers salaries for almost 5 years when you consider that the new workers won't receive top pay for at least 5 years.
Those are tax dollars paid by US citizens who may not even like Toyota for all their history of subsidies, strong arm tactics and recalls. Yet, they have no choice but to give money to a company they don't even like.
Let us not forget that Japan's strict regulations only allows 1 US auto to be imported for every 400 exported to the US. Also, they manipulate their yen to favor their auto makers, let alone the subsidies. Do you know why the Japanese government can get away with these tactics? Because the Japanese people are patriotic as all get out. Americans, in general, hate America now. They could care less if America tanks.
http://autos.aol.com/article/japan-bias/
This is what people who hate US autos defend. Huge subsidies, bad business practices, strong arm tactics and other factors that creates an unfair market, and cars that are constantly being recalled.
Haters hate subsidies for American cars. They turn a blind eye for subsidies for foreign cars. And this is just Toyota. Almost every foreign brand of car is subsidized by their governments.
I haven't purchased a foreign car since I bought a 1980 Plymouth Arrow. A Mitsubishi product. I've been car trouble free since.
Imo we as a country need to stop and take a look at subsidies of every type. We continue to charge when we should be in a state of reform.
I Love My Root

Waitsfield, VT

#9378 Mar 15, 2014
This iluvmyVolt sounds like a lying windbag. Everything he says about the Volt can't be believed. The Volt is a loser and should be discontinued
iluvmyfoot

Springfield, IL

#9380 Mar 16, 2014
I Love My Root wrote:
This iluvmyVolt sounds like a lying windbag. Everything he says about the Volt can't be believed. The Volt is a loser and should be discontinued
Take this test: Take a drive anywhere in America and count the number of Volts and the number of Prius..........We did just that, the ratio was 75 Prius to one Volt. We were not even sure it was a Volt. We gave it a vote anyway.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9382 Mar 16, 2014
In fact, GM could sell 0 Volts for the next 2 years and the Prius would only be 29,000 ahead for it's first 5 years.

But remember, there was only 1 hybrid to chose from then. That's pretty stanky.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9383 Mar 16, 2014
Honda subsidies.

In 1999 Alabama prevailed over several other states to land Honda’s first U.S. auto assembly plant outside Ohio. The Japanese company selected a site in Lincoln, a city in the central part of the state east of Birmingham, for the 1,200-worker facility after it was offered a $158 million subsidy package consisting of about $102 million in infrastructure and training outlays, and $56 million in tax breaks.$220,000,000 with inflation factored in.

In 2002 Honda received additional subsidies worth about $90 million in connection with a plan to double its output of minivans and engines in Lincoln.$117,000,000 with inflation factored in.
In 2006 Honda received a package worth an estimated $141 million in subsidies for a plant it agreed to build in Indiana.$164,000,000 with inflation factored in.

A total of $501,000,000 in today's money.

http://www.corp-research.org/honda

And let us not forget that Honda is subsidized by Japan also. Oh yeah ... foreign cars are subsidy free. Hmmm hmmm.

Only traitors hate America. America, love it or leave it.

http://howmanyarethere.net/wp-content/uploads...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9384 Mar 16, 2014
Root wrote:
I'm surprised to see the difference between the Volt and Prius sales numbers. It would be nice to see the difference between the current tally of Volt and the Prius Plug Job.
The Prius plug in is selling pretty well considering the limitations the car has. I think it is mainly because people want to be in the HOV lane here in CA.

The funny thing about it is .... the plug in Prius can not drive in E mode at freeway speeds. That is the problem with using MPGE instead of real world E and gas usage.

Because the Prius plug in can go farther on 1 kwh of E than the Volt (city driving), it qualifies for the HOV sticker and pre-february 2012 Volts don't.

However, I can drive 40 miles in E on the freeway and the Prius can't drive 1 mile in E mode on the freeway because it is a parallel hybrid. After 60 mph, it reverts to gas mode. I can go 100 mph in E mode.

Oh yeah ... that's fair.

The Prius plug in, on a little jaunt like I just did would have gotten 50 mpg (epa rating, which is usually off) vs. my 62 actual mpg. And they cost more than the Volt.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9385 Mar 17, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
The Prius plug in is selling pretty well considering the limitations the car has. I think it is mainly because people want to be in the HOV lane here in CA.
The funny thing about it is .... the plug in Prius can not drive in E mode at freeway speeds. That is the problem with using MPGE instead of real world E and gas usage.
Because the Prius plug in can go farther on 1 kwh of E than the Volt (city driving), it qualifies for the HOV sticker and pre-february 2012 Volts don't.
However, I can drive 40 miles in E on the freeway and the Prius can't drive 1 mile in E mode on the freeway because it is a parallel hybrid. After 60 mph, it reverts to gas mode. I can go 100 mph in E mode.
Oh yeah ... that's fair.
The Prius plug in, on a little jaunt like I just did would have gotten 50 mpg (epa rating, which is usually off) vs. my 62 actual mpg. And they cost more than the Volt.
Interesting take, thanks.
Over Priced Cruze

Florham Park, NJ

#9386 Mar 18, 2014
GM needs to recall further cars:

General Motors is, once again, facing another large-scale recall. In three separate incidents, GM is recalling an estimatated amount of 1.5 million vehicles. This especially concerns newer models from brands such as Buick, GMC, and Chevrolet.\

If only a matter of time before the Volt gets recalled. The Volt is a maintenance time bomb. GM will screw all the suckers who bought Volts; wait for it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9387 Mar 18, 2014
Interesting take, thanks.
Over Priced Cruze

Florham Park, NJ

#9388 Mar 18, 2014
Root wrote:
Interesting take, thanks.
No problem, Glad I could be of some help.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9389 Mar 18, 2014
Over Priced Cruze wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem, Glad I could be of some help.
No need to be a dickhead. Toyota's latest recall of 1.9 million Prius is still way above what the other company did, and that's just the prius. Anyhow, when you come up with something other than bullshit, I'll be here. Of course, your status shows me you probably can't because of your pissy little bias. Grow some balls.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9390 Mar 18, 2014
No need to get hard because the Volt has saved 21 million gallons of gas.
Over Priced Cruze

Florham Park, NJ

#9391 Mar 18, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text>No need to be a dickhead. Toyota's latest recall of 1.9 million Prius is still way above what the other company did, and that's just the prius. Anyhow, when you come up with something other than bullshit, I'll be here. Of course, your status shows me you probably can't because of your pissy little bias. Grow some balls.
Let's not have a hissy fit! Did you run out of you medication or something? Maybe you and obsessed one need to run off on vacation together; but you'll have to cover the cheapskate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OP-COM 2012V/ VAUX-COM 120309a Free Download (Oct '15) 4 hr jady 25
Mclaren MDS Diagnostic Tools Tester Mclaren D... 5 hr MYQQ3186645439 1
Vediamo 4.02.02 Software Free Download (Mar '16) 13 hr Ambrosio 2
mb star Xentry Installation Guide (Jul '11) 13 hr Ambrosio 7
BMW motor diagnosis & programming solutions Mon lalaura 1
OBDSTAR F109 scanner special for SUZUKI with Im... Sun uobd2 1
News Here's what a $500 million lawsuit against NASC... Sep 24 Kimmull2324 1
More from around the web