Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11778 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9348 Mar 12, 2014
iluvmyvolt wrote:
GM has problems......or deaths to worry about. Ford is just as bad, they lie about evertyhing like specs to sell autos.
Hmmm .... Toyota's have killed people also? Almost 100 just in one recall??

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/toyota-unintended...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9349 Mar 12, 2014
No wonder. When Consumer Affairs gets involved, a whopping 87% of their responses are very negative.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toy...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9350 Mar 12, 2014
And by the way .... that 87% negative response was for the Prius. Ouch!!!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9351 Mar 13, 2014
Here is an article about the new Volt.

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/03/11/chevy-vol...
Ultra Limited Use Vehicle

Trumbull, CT

#9352 Mar 13, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm .... Toyota's have killed people also? Almost 100 just in one recall??
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/toyota-unintended...
Have you noticed the obsessed one always rationalizes bad behavior with bad behavior; another sure sign of his insecurity. Luvie you need to discuss this with your shrink.
Ultra Limted Use Vehicle

Austin, TX

#9353 Mar 13, 2014
Have you noticed that I always rationalize bad behavior with bad behavior; another sure sign of my insecurity. I need to discuss this with my shrink.

http://www.amandaplavich.com/wp-content/uploa...
Degray

Springfield, IL

#9355 Mar 13, 2014
Ultra Limted Use Vehicle wrote:
Have you noticed that I always rationalize bad behavior with bad behavior; another sure sign of my insecurity. I need to discuss this with my shrink.
http://www.amandaplavich.com/wp-content/uploa...
JJFAGS, Root and iwuvmydolt just need their meds adjusted......to full strength. The facility they are at wont let them watch the news about the GM recall deaths. It ok, the damage is done, not that their autos were worth driving to begin with..........Between Detroit and GM failure is the option!!!!!!!!!!

Trumbull, CT

#9356 Mar 13, 2014
Degray wrote:
<quoted text>JJFAGS, Root and iwuvmydolt just need their meds adjusted......to full strength. The facility they are at wont let them watch the news about the GM recall deaths. It ok, the damage is done, not that their autos were worth driving to begin with..........Between Detroit and GM failure is the option!!!!!!!!!!
It's only a matter of time before Gubamint Motors will be in need of another Government.

Ashburn, VA

#9357 Mar 13, 2014
It's only a matter of time before Toyota Motors will be in need of another Government. JJFAGS, Root and iwuvmydolt just need to keep teaching me to get my meds adjusted......to full strength. The facility I'm at wont let me watch the news about the Toyota Prius recall deaths. It ok, the damage is done, not that their autos were worth driving to begin with..........Between Tokyo and Toyota my Tndra is not the option!!!!!!!!!!
Root

Springfield, IL

#9358 Mar 13, 2014
I did just what Degray said. I went out and counted the number of volts compared to the prius on the roads. Sure enough, the Prius out numbered the Volt 53 to 0. Thats write we didnt see any Volts. I take that back, there were 3 on the lot at the dealership way back in the corner. Its ashame, the volt was doomed from the start....PULL DE PLUG!!!!!!!!!!

Trumbull, CT

#9359 Mar 13, 2014
Root wrote:
I did just what Degray said. I went out and counted the number of volts compared to the prius on the roads. Sure enough, the Prius out numbered the Volt 53 to 0. Thats write we didnt see any Volts. I take that back, there were 3 on the lot at the dealership way back in the corner. Its ashame, the volt was doomed from the start....PULL DE PLUG!!!!!!!!!!
It won't be long before that contraption is in the Rube Goldberg hall of fame; right along side other GM engineering disasters: the Cadillac V8-6-4, the Vega (they should change the name of the Volt, to the Vega Hybrid), X-cars, the Fiero, and that POS diesel engine they were screwing people with in the 70s..........we could go on and on.

Reston, VA

#9360 Mar 13, 2014
It won't be long before that contraption is in the Rube Goldberg hall of fame; right along side other Toyota engineering disasters: the Prius V8-6-4, the Lexus (they should change the name of the Prius, to the Vega Hybrid), P-cars, the Camry, and that POS diesel engine they were screwing me with in the 70s..........we could go on and on.

Degay Ultra Limited
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9362 Mar 13, 2014
So, the Prius sales after the first four years will still be way behind the Volt's first 4 years. The big difference is, recalls. Ouch. And mpg. The first Prius barely got 40 mpg, on a good day. The very first Volts are getting 150 mpg, easy.

Prius sold 19,000 in it's fourth year. That would mean that it would be 5,500 units ahead if GM sold zero Volts this year.

Not very good considering that there was only one hybrid back then. Real hard choice to make. Duh.

'Chevy Volt after the fist 3 years of USA sales.

54,316 total

Toyota Prius first 3 years of world wide sales

35,900 total

Toyota Prius first 3 years of USA sales

41,300 total

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius

Trumbull, CT

#9363 Mar 14, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
So, the Prius sales after the first four years will still be way behind the Volt's first 4 years. The big difference is, recalls. Ouch. And mpg. The first Prius barely got 40 mpg, on a good day. The very first Volts are getting 150 mpg, easy.
Prius sold 19,000 in it's fourth year. That would mean that it would be 5,500 units ahead if GM sold zero Volts this year.
Not very good considering that there was only one hybrid back then. Real hard choice to make. Duh.
'Chevy Volt after the fist 3 years of USA sales.
54,316 total
Toyota Prius first 3 years of world wide sales
35,900 total
Toyota Prius first 3 years of USA sales
41,300 total
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius
Another clueless post from the obsessed one
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9364 Mar 14, 2014
I'm surprised to see the difference between the Volt and Prius sales numbers. It would be nice to see the difference between the current tally of Volt and the Prius Plug Job.

Trumbull, CT

#9365 Mar 14, 2014
Root wrote:
I'm surprised to see the difference between the Volt and Prius sales numbers. It would be nice to see the difference between the current tally of Volt and the Prius Plug Job.
Don't worry, it will give the "Obsessed One" something to do today.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9366 Mar 14, 2014
You should be nice. Andy was a good man.
Madison Square Graveyard

Trumbull, CT

#9367 Mar 14, 2014
Root wrote:
You should be nice. Andy was a good man.
Was? Is the Obsessed One's real name Andy?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9368 Mar 14, 2014
Let's all celebrate these cars. Volt has now saved over 21 million gallons of gasoline.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9369 Mar 14, 2014
And for those who are in the dark as to the history of the Prius. It was decided by the Japanese government to develop a hybrid only because American car companies were in the process of developing one. The Japanese government did not want to be left behind.

The American auto companies, once again made a deal with big oil and agreed to drop their programs in return for assurance that gas prices would not go up drastically.

The Japanese government was caught with too much subsidy money invested in the program. They decided to go ahead, rather than throw all that money away.

So, to say that Toyota had a vision is far from reality. They were subsidized by their government, 100% by their government and they had absolutely no decision in the matter.

It was an American vision that got the ball rolling. Toyota got gobs of subsidy money thrust upon them. It was not their choice.

That's probably why Prius is one of the most recalled cars in history. They didn't care from the beginning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tony Stewart's Having A Rough Few Weeks 6 hr Few pharts 2
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Dec 9 Anon 318
News ZF Ceo Sommer steps down after losing power str... Dec 8 Solarman 1
OBDSTAR H100 vs. F100 Ford Mazda key programmer Dec 7 Ambrosio 1
News Here's Chevrolet's fastest, most powerful Corve... Dec 5 Vett owner 1
What do you think of the new Lambo SUV? The Urus. Dec 4 Ak47d 1
News 2008 Chrysler Sebring Convertible (Oct '07) Dec 4 ragtopman 23
More from around the web