Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11784 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Root

Shreveport, LA

#9114 Feb 27, 2014
Devilsadvocate wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotta love the way the article wraps it up.....
"The Volt clearly is not for everyone Ė the gas engine still rules Ė and so you might want to approach this exercise in car research the way Hall did."
Well said.
So now I can't help but ask, why did you quote that particular part of the article? Nobody here has ever said otherwise.

I'm leaning toward the p or t word. However, I would like for you to justify the words you wrote before applying that label to your statement.

I'm doing this while realizing you usually don't answer hard hitting questions about your statements, though because I found this particular one interesting I felt the urge to ask the question about the reasoning behind your response.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9115 Feb 27, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text>So now I can't help but ask, why did you quote that particular part of the article? Nobody here has ever said otherwise.
I'm leaning toward the p or t word. However, I would like for you to justify the words you wrote before applying that label to your statement.
I'm doing this while realizing you usually don't answer hard hitting questions about your statements, though because I found this particular one interesting I felt the urge to ask the question about the reasoning behind your response.
When I studied up on the Volt, I went to actual Volt owner forums. I found several where people were reporting charging costs using a Kill-A-Watt meter. Their reports were within 1% of my actual experience.

I also found forums that told me to take my utility rate (preferably at night) and multiply that by 13. That would be my cost for a complete charge ... from zero to full. My utility rates are flat, however. Cheap all day long.

They also were reporting that the EPA finding were off by quite a bit. They were referring interested folks to real world sites like Mpgomatic, who drove the Volt for 600 miles and came up with much better numbers than the EPA. The EPA is actually trying to come up with different tests for electric cars because dyno's don't really allow for regenerative actins.

I found that the numbers reported by sites like Mpgomatic were almost exact. Nice to read real world tests by non-hater sites. There are hater sites that claim that they drove the Volt and only got 20 miles electric and 25 mpg gas. If you're gonna lie, make it believable.

It was while checking out a Volt owners forum site that I found the reference to Kiplinger and their numbers comparing the Volt to other cars. That really opened my eyes. They reported that the Volt would recoup the difference in price over a Cruze in 5 years, without the credits.

It was at Volt owner forums that I found reports about battery life, with links to sites that showed plug ins have been around for over a decade. They were converted for use by taxi cabs and companies like Apple. They were reporting battery life of well over 250,000 miles.

This is an excellent site. This Volt owner set up one of the very first owner sites. Check out the archives. About half way down and to the right. He has been around for a long time and everything he reported I found to be perfect.

http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/

It's nice to find sites that don't lie to you. When you intend to buy a vehicle, there are no better people to find information from than owners.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9116 Feb 27, 2014
You see how this poo head is so negative. He quotes:

Gotta love the way the article wraps it up.....

"The Volt clearly is not for everyone Ė the gas engine still rules Ė and so you might want to approach this exercise in car research the way Hall did."

He left this out:

ďI looked into the whole picture,Ē Hall said,ďincluding the economics of the car, financingĒĖ he leases his Volt, for $300 a month."

At one time, the horse ruled.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9118 Feb 27, 2014
This cracked me up. How many times have you heard the poo call my numbers "alleged"? aka "so called", aka "fuzzy".

Funny

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oyaRsXY2tDA/Ttgj2t-...
The Expert Institute

Sanbornville, NH

#9120 Feb 28, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
This cracked me up. How many times have you heard the poo call my numbers "alleged"? aka "so called", aka "fuzzy".
Funny
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oyaRsXY2tDA/Ttgj2t-...
From reading iluvmyVolt posts, we've come to the conclusion that his IQ is directly proportionate to the electric range of a Volt, driven on a cold night.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9123 Feb 28, 2014
Here's another intresing article.
http://petergreenberg.com/2014/02/25/finally-...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9125 Feb 28, 2014
You left out the most important part,

"With my driving pattern, Iíve gotten 165 mpg over the first 1,700 miles."

And the finish,

"So, after 60 days, Iím certainly pleased with the Volt. Itís a very comfortable car to drive, provides all of the gadgetry I could want, saves some money, and also provides another benefit: It qualifies me to use the carpool lanes without a second person in the car."

______

A stated before, if the car is not for you or doesn not fit your driving mode, don't buy it. No need to bitch and try to pick out negatives your whole life. Try to be positive and by all means stop trolling.

Don't be a troll.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9127 Feb 28, 2014
Thank you for your comments, which we shall give due consideration.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9130 Feb 28, 2014
Off topic, funny and nuts off to you. Calm down and stop trolling. Volt just went 400 million all electric miles.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9131 Feb 28, 2014
Devilsadvocate wrote:
We are led to believe that Volt gets hundreds of miles per gallon, yet here's a guy who says he's getting 40 MPG.
And the Volt promoters sure scramble to hush that up ASAP!
By immediately attacking and calling people names, accusing them of Trolling, yada, yada, yada.
The usual "hush 'em up" tactic.
Gotta love how some folks appoint themselves as official censors, and who diligently patrol this board so as to keep all posts on one side of the fence.
Well,,that ain't gonna happen.
I suggest you read up on these cars and figure out how they work before posting anymore mess. These cars will get different mpg, someone may get 40, someone may get 100 and another may get 900. It all depends how you use the vehicle. One thing is for certain, the Prius plug job (with what is it) 12 miles electric range can't touch the Volt.

“Oh Canada”

Since: Feb 14

Windsor, Canada

#9132 Feb 28, 2014
Here in Mexico we're getting 700 miles per gallon. This is why we love our Volt. It saves money and the world!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9134 Feb 28, 2014
Devilsadvocate_ wrote:
Here in Mexico we're getting 700 miles per gallon. This is why we love our Volt. It saves money and the world!
Be careful, the troll gets upset when he hears good things about the Volt.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9136 Feb 28, 2014
Calm down, the Volt is a good car. Learn how it works.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9137 Feb 28, 2014
Root wrote:
You left out the most important part,
"With my driving pattern, Iíve gotten 165 mpg over the first 1,700 miles."
And the finish,
"So, after 60 days, Iím certainly pleased with the Volt. Itís a very comfortable car to drive, provides all of the gadgetry I could want, saves some money, and also provides another benefit: It qualifies me to use the carpool lanes without a second person in the car."
______
A stated before, if the car is not for you or doesn not fit your driving mode, don't buy it. No need to bitch and try to pick out negatives your whole life. Try to be positive and by all means stop trolling.
Don't be a troll.
I am beginning to believe that this "intelligent" person can't figure out that the Volt driver was listing both his electric mpg and his gas mpg separately.

I am beginning to believe that he isn't a troll. Just a dumb a$$. In which case, we should be nicer to him. Perhaps he is dyslexic. Perhaps he has A.D.D.

Yeah right. I have to laugh because he knows what the driver meant. Here is insight into his antics.

He can't find any real world (and I do mean real world) reports by real Volt owners that are negative. So, he is whittled down to splitting hairs that even he can't stand using.

That's called desperation.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9139 Feb 28, 2014
Only a troll would post this:

"Quote: " Iím using the car to go to the airport almost weekly, to offices downtown, or to meetings all over San Diego County and a few in Orange County. Most of my trips have been less than 50 miles round trip; several have been up to 120 miles. In more than two months of use, Iíve bought about 12 gallons of gas. My gas mileage has averaged about 40 mpg."

Only 40 MPG??"

Let's break that down. The driver is using it to go to meetings all over S.D. County, and a few in Orange County. He goes to the airport weekly. Several trips up to 120 miles.

So, in order to get only 40 mpg, the driver would have to have only 480 miles on his odometer. However, that would be gas only. He would have to never charge his car up.

However, the owner did say this:

"Iím getting from 39 to 42 miles. With my driving pattern, Iíve gotten 165 mpg over the first 1,700 miles."

So, we have a dilemma. Or, at least the frozen Canadian has one. Here it is. In order for the driver to get only 40 mpg, he has to drive all gas and he has to drive only 480 miles. So which is it, oh mighty poo .... is it 480 miles only or does the 1,700 miles mean nothing to you?

You're aren't fooling us, but I'm now thinking that you are, indeed fooling yourself. I'm beginning to believe that you actually believe you trolling poo.

Keep it up though ... it makes for good comic's material.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9142 Feb 28, 2014
Surely you can't be this stupid.Troll on!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9144 Feb 28, 2014
Either you're stupid or you're trolling. Which is it?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9146 Feb 28, 2014
No way troll. You need to calm down and relax. Take a vacation or something. Be nice to others.
Dave

Austin, TX

#9150 Feb 28, 2014
I had to go back and follow the link to the article after reading the last page of heated comments. All said a very good article about the Volt. FWIW my Volt gets will over 100 MPG regularly. He seems to very happy with his Volt.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9151 Feb 28, 2014
Dave wrote:
I had to go back and follow the link to the article after reading the last page of heated comments. All said a very good article about the Volt. FWIW my Volt gets will over 100 MPG regularly. He seems to very happy with his Volt.
Sounds great, thanks for sharing. Volt is a great car.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) 6 hr Bob D 316
News GM to Introduce at Least 20 New EVs by 2023 Tue BS Repellent 6
EU cars key programmer advice, Lonsdor K518 is ... Oct 12 lanny717 2
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) Oct 10 jimmyLIN 16
XTOOL X300 Plus X300+ Auto Key Programmer with ... Oct 10 jimmyLIN 1
Full-System Diagnosis for Gasoline Oct 7 jimmyLIN 1
News The World's Cleanest 2003 Honda Odyssey Has An ... Oct 1 pbug56 1
BMW ISTA-D Rheingold 4.05.23 free dwonload her... Sep 26 willburr555 5
More from around the web