Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 20 comments on the Nov 30, 2010, taintedgreen.com story titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Obsessed With My Volt

Newtown, CT

#9032 Feb 23, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Here is a challenge to you dolt. Let's prove who is more obsessed.
As I stated to you, I may be obsessed with my car, but you are obsessed with my car and with me.
So, let's do this. Don't talk about me for one week. I won't talk about you for one week.
Let's see who cracks.
Begin.
I don't know if I can do that, I do have a responsibility to expose Volt BS, and you do always seem to make up laugh. You're sort of the forum jester!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9037 Feb 23, 2014
Also, I know of a couple of guys who took out a $450,000 buy out and passed away within 2 or 3 years of getting out.

Their families didn't have to worry for one second about the future. See what happens to a pension when the retired person dies.

You're an idiot.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9039 Feb 23, 2014
Assumptions kill the progression of a point and make the author look misinformed.

Building a future on 450K ? How can you say that when you don't know the specifics? What if the guy made investments etc.. We know he knew a couple of guys that took out 450K, should you not ask for specifics if (if) you wanted to continue acting nasty toward an individual? At least you would not be guessing.

Disgusting nasty troll comments attacking people are not helpful and do nothing to progress civil converstation.

nasty nasty nasty
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9041 Feb 23, 2014
Just making simple observations about your assumptions. If you know someone took 450k how does that make you that someone? You assumed something without specific information and that makes you look unintelligent.

Now you double down as to somehow strengthen your argument (straw man) and assume again by the following statement that an assumption can be a valid point:

“anyone who believes he can retire comfortably with just $450K in the bank is kidding himself."

The only problem with that statement is that nobody said that. You have now assumed again, and that is not a smart thing to do, it also hampers civil dialogue and reinforces your services as a troll.

If you don’t like being called out on bullshit, maybe you shouldn’t post bullshit. This forum would be a wonderful environment with few problems if everyone took the time to respect others opinions.

What you do is predictable and that weakens your abilties to be taken in a serious manner. It's really much better to bring forth a vaild point and defend, promote or explain it then to attempt to defend bullshit.

Cheers

Root

Shreveport, LA

#9044 Feb 23, 2014
My goodness, do you not read? Your question of 450K was never asked. It’s something you made up. Troll monster drops the dookie bomb again. Please pay attention and make this a better place. Go to sleep and try again tmw.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9046 Feb 23, 2014
Devilsadvocate wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody who has only $450K (no pension, no other source of income, etc) who wishes to retire comfortably, is foolish.
Root, if you have a problem with that statement, then you do indeed have a problem.
But it's your problem, not mine.
Really, what should be happening here is for Root to clean up his act and practise what he preaches.
What an idiot.

I'll give you one day to go get your calculator and figure out simple interest at 10% for $450,000. Not compounding interest the real world demands. Just simple.

Do you actually think that $450,000 is going to dwindle away at 10% compounding interest? Over 15 years?

Really? Do the math stupid. Then add that interest to the initial investment.

And don't forget, we are talking about the buy out only. I didn't mention 401k.

So, come back and give me your math answer since you are such a braniac.

All you do is muddy up this place with poo.

And please, you can stop with the Mexico stuff. I wouldn't believe you for a second because you have been caught in too many lies and half truths and innuendos. Then on top of that you don't know what compounding interest is.

You assume I'm broke? Because why? Because I put $450,000 into cash? You're a fool. You either can't read or you can't understand. There is no in between. I suspect it's both.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9048 Feb 23, 2014
And, by the way, fool, take that calculator and plug in $450,000 at only 5% interest.

See the answer? That's only after 15 years. It takes 35 years of a regular pension to end up at $1,250,000.

A simple, safe investment of 5% per year, compounding interest will almost get you there in less than half the time. And there are plenty of those around.

That's using your noggin.

The person that took the buy out doesn't have to worry about leaving this earth early and screwing over their family. They money stays in the account and they draw out the interest.

They also don't have to worry about the company drying up and flying away along with their pension.

Once again, anybody who is offered a buy out over a pension should at least look at it.

It would be foolish not to. The difference between you and I is that I respect individual choices.

You, on the other hand are a hater.
Devilsadvocate

Toronto, Canada

#9049 Feb 24, 2014
Luvvy stop making me look like a dumbass. I am a gay man and I will fight you. I love the Volt!

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/imageservices...
Obsessed With My Volt

Florham Park, NJ

#9050 Feb 24, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
What an idiot.
I'll give you one day to go get your calculator and figure out simple interest at 10% for $450,000. Not compounding interest the real world demands. Just simple.
Do you actually think that $450,000 is going to dwindle away at 10% compounding interest? Over 15 years?
Really? Do the math stupid. Then add that interest to the initial investment.
And don't forget, we are talking about the buy out only. I didn't mention 401k.
So, come back and give me your math answer since you are such a braniac.
All you do is muddy up this place with poo.
And please, you can stop with the Mexico stuff. I wouldn't believe you for a second because you have been caught in too many lies and half truths and innuendos. Then on top of that you don't know what compounding interest is.
You assume I'm broke? Because why? Because I put $450,000 into cash? You're a fool. You either can't read or you can't understand. There is no in between. I suspect it's both.
Using the obsessed ones powers of financial analysis that $450,000 is really $900,000. Luvie must be using the Bernie Madoff method of accounting. Beside Luvie is such a cheapskate $450,000 is forever. BTW Luvie who's paying 10% these days; let us in on the secret.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9053 Feb 24, 2014
Devilsadvocate wrote:
Root, please shut up. You are out of line.
If I choose to make a comment about something someone says that happens to be of interest to me, I will say what I please about it.
If it bothers you---that's just too bad. It wasn't you I was speaking about in the first place.
So mind your own freaking business my man.
As regards "trying again tomorrow", don't hold your breath.
We're going sailing and will be out on the boat all day.
So you'll just haave to stew about your pathetic objections until we're back on land tomorrow evening.
I know it'll be difficult for you not to have someone to complain about, but we'll get back to you eventually.
Calm down and relax. Big hugs for you.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9054 Feb 24, 2014
Toyota recalls newest prius for software failure.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/business/in...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9057 Feb 24, 2014
Calm down and relax. Isn't Lake St. Clair icy this time of year? Big hugs for you troll.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9059 Feb 24, 2014
Calm down, we really really believe you.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/tlco...

Hugs to you!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9061 Feb 24, 2014
Devilsadvocate wrote:
Hey Luvvy--ever heard of "the rule of 72"?
When calculating effects of compound interest, divide the interest rate into 72.
The result is the number of years it takes for the initial investment to double.
Example, 5% interest will double in about 15 years-- but only if nothing is spent.
Today, you'll be lucky to get 2% for a GIC at a bank--that means 35 years to double.
And you don't want to touch bonds these days,because most of them are losers.
In the meantime you've gotta eat--don't forget that.
I would feel a whole lot more comfortable with $2 MM in the bank if I were you.
Wow. You are so full of yourself that you don't even let what you read sink into that thick skull of yours.

Read my post 9048. That is exactly what I said.

"And, by the way, fool, take that calculator and plug in $450,000 at only 5% interest.

See the answer? That's only after 15 years. It takes 35 years of a regular pension to end up at $1,250,000.

"A simple, safe investment of 5% per year, compounding interest will almost get you there in less than half the time. And there are plenty of those around."

If you need $2 million in the bank, you are not properly invested and you are heavily in debt.

But I don't believe you for a minute. You live in a little house in the Detroit suburb of Windsor. You're just a little man with big ideas that never came true.$2 million my arss.

You can stop giving me advice on how to invest my money. A loser is the last person I want to listen to. Now go to your back yard and pretend that you are overlooking Mexico.
Devilsadvocate

Toronto, Canada

#9062 Feb 24, 2014
Sorry Luvvy I stuck my foot in my mouth again. My wife finally got the venereal warts under control and now is looks like she’s having a herpes outbreak on her mouth. She left her medicine back in Windsor and we’re going in to town to get some medicine. All the cash we save with our Volt well pay for the medicine. Using the obsessed ones powers of financial analysis that $450,000 is really $900,000. I love the Volt!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#9068 Feb 25, 2014
Here is good article about the Volt.

http://www.hybridcars.com/complete-chevy-volt...
Obsessed With My Volt

Florham Park, NJ

#9070 Feb 25, 2014
Devilsadvocate wrote:
For all you non believers/doubting thomases, here is a URL with photos and a history of where we are in Puerto Vallarta for the two months each year.(We missed last year because of my wife's cancer treatment)
Our condo building is shown in the opening photo, right at the entry to the Marina.
It is the large high rise building on the left hand side of the harbour entrance. The name of the complex we live in is "Tres Mares"--literally translated into "Three Seas".
http://virtualvallarta.com/puertovallarta/pue...
Very nice!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9072 Feb 25, 2014
Devilsadvocate wrote:
<quoted text>
Some basic reality for ya Luvvy..
Let's assume a guy takes a buyout of $450K, at around 55 years of age, and plans that to use that to sustain himself for the rest of his life. Average life expectancy is around 85 yrs, so he's got around 30 years of life to fund with his buyout.
He owns his home and car free and clear, and has no other meaningful source of income.
He follows your advice and invests in an income fund providing 5% per year income.(in today's economy that is not quite realistic, but I'll use it just to prove something to you)
He'll get roughly $23K per year for the first year, and assuming he can live on that every year, the 5% rate he's getting won't reduce his principal amount of $450K.
But he's gotta pay income tax of around $5K, insurance on his car and home of about $1500 per year, and food of about $5K or so per year, utilities of about $3K per year, fuel for his car, whatever entertainment he can afford, and a few other miscellaneous expenses along the way.
Before long, he's used up his initial $23K each year just to maintain a pretty basic existence.
Furthermore, if inflation is consistent each year at a modest 2% per year, this guy is gonna have higher expenses along the way, and his $23K isn't going to cover all his expenses, so he's going to have to dip into the principal amount in his original investment, thus reducing its potential to sustain him over the long term.
So my original claim is fairly realistic, that is, a $450K buyout isn't going to provide a comfortable retirement, if that's the recipient's only source of income.
Reality Luvvy, can be a bitter pill to swallow.
Here's a little basic knowledge for you idiot. So maybe you will stop giving me financial advice.

I don't need to make one more penny until I am 85 years old. Every single property tax, property insurance, car insurance is paid.

I have it in my budget for 4 more brand new cars.

I have it in my budget for 2 more roofs.

I have it in my budget for 3 more paint jobs on this house.

I have it in my budget for all my food.

I have it in my budget for all my clothes.

I have it in my budget for all the fun I want.

The money I make on top of that is gain. All those monies that I made sure I had before I retired were there before I took my buy out. Believe me, it is much more than inflation. But that's not your business.

So shut up. If you have to worry about making payments, you retired too early.

So keep your advice to yourself. I retired 15 years ago and I didn't need to make a penny from then on. So, your advice is a waste of time.

Only people in debt think the way you do. I don't care what you do with your money. That's not my business.

If you weren't smart enough to set yourself up for the rest of your life before you retired, that's your problem. Keep your problems to yourself.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#9073 Feb 25, 2014
Root wrote:
Here is good article about the Volt.
http://www.hybridcars.com/complete-chevy-volt...
I'm surprised I missed this one, but I did. Thanks for the link. It is now in my favorites.

I didn't see it in this list (perhaps I just missed it), but the single most prestigious award was given by the European car community when the Volt was named European Car Of The Year. The first American car to ever receive that award.

There were several others that I noticed that weren't listed here.

Also, the Kiplinger award ... "Chevrolet Volt 4-door hatch awarded Kiplinger’s Personal Finance – Worth a Look (3/7/2012)" .... is important.

Kiplinger is a well respected group that does financial analysis and came up with the numbers for the Volt. They were the first to report that the Volt actually beats the Cruze withing 5 years of ownership, even before the credits.

There was a lot of boo hoo'ing by haters about that one because that was one of their favorite come backs to we Volt owners. They would tell us that we were fools because the Volt was nothing but a Cruze, when in fact, one has nothing to do with the other. Why would it be cheaper to own within 5 years if it was the same car?

Thanks again.
Devilsadvocate

Toronto, Canada

#9075 Feb 25, 2014
For all you non believers/doubting thomases, here is a URL with photos and a history of where we are in Puerto Vallarta for the two months each year.(We missed last year because of my wife's testicle cancer treatment)
Our ghetto complex is shown in the opening photo, right at the entry to the treatment center.
It is the large high rise building on the left hand side of the harbour entrance. The name of the complex we live in is "Tres Fistings"--literally translated into "Three Fistings".

http://www.rivieraoggi.it/wp-content/uploads/...

I love the Volt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Preparations fall short for Nepal earthquake 4 hr 4500 gone 1
Nasty Canadian Jap Car News 11 hr Silent Echo 17
News It’s a Sad Day at Toyota (Jun '10) 15 hr Leapfrogged Volt 1,146
News Toyota recalls even MORE Junk-1.3 million ORIENTAL (Jan '09) 19 hr Over Priced Cruze 361
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) 19 hr schmidty 265
News Huge Trouble at Foreign Toyota (May '09) 22 hr Leagle Beagle 316
JLR Mangoose for Volvo VIDA for TOYOTA TIS 3 in... Sun kankanr2 3
More from around the web