Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11775 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

craig

United States

#8809 Feb 14, 2014
What's up with the prick from Mexico?
Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#8810 Feb 14, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Dolt, once again you show your ignorance. Ohm's law has nothing to do with your utility bill. Ohm's law has much more to do with resistance than it does with kilowatt hours.
The resistance in the cord of your toaster is much more than the resistance of the cord of your refrigerator.
But in the end, it is the flow of electrons that make your meter spin that is the only thing that is monitored.
The power company could care less what total resistance there is in your house. They only care about the little numbers your meter puts out. Go outside and look at your meter. At the end or those little numbers, it says kwh. Probably every meter in the country says that. I don't know, but every meter in the country does monitor kwh's.
Sorry to re-educate you.
You asked for it.
Clueless babble!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8811 Feb 14, 2014
Obsessed With My Volt wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you babbling about now? Twenty years working for an electric utility and you just can't explain simple electricity using Ohm's Law; but then again your butchering of simple math and financial analysis is well documented. Study up on Ohm's Law and get back to us with some cut and past ramblings; it will give you something to do while you're sleazing a free charge for your Volt.
Here you go, dolt. The headline is:

"The Electric Bill Project:An Elementary School Introduction to Energy"

http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/modules/k6/elec/elec...

They are showing you how your bill is calculated. Nowhere on there do you see anything about ohm's law or the resistance of the path of your appliances. 1 kwh passing through a cord with the maximum amperage of 15 amps is equal to 1 kwh passing through a cord with the maximum amperage of 10 amps. Or 5 amps. The kwh takes longer to pass through the lower amp cords. But, it is still a kwh.

Remember, ohm's law is current is equal to the voltage / resistance.

Remember, resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current (amps).

In other words, if you try to put 220 volts through an extension cord with only 5 amps max load, you will fry it.

Most 220v appliances come with 30 amp cords. Most small extension cords are around 7 amps.

Just think of it this way. The bigger around and the shorter the cord, the more amps, the less resistance. You can actually picture it in your head. Well, maybe not. The more copper in the diameter of that cord, the more electrons can flow through it because of the diameter. If the cord is shorter, the electrons have a shorter path to flow.

Or, simply stated, touch the cord. If it's hot, unplug and get a bigger cord.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8812 Feb 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Clueless babble!
Sure ... learned something, did we?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8813 Feb 14, 2014
craig wrote:
What's up with the prick from Mexico?
No, he's not from Mexico. He's in Canada, pretending to be in Mexico. He's a Canaxican.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8814 Feb 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Clueless babble!
Did you go outside and look at your meter? Don't be afraid.
Devilsadvocate

Toronto, Canada

#8815 Feb 14, 2014
Practice what you preach Luvvy. My wife has a strange infection in her eyes and I’m worried about it. There’s puss leaking out. This is no time for me to talk smack. Stop making me look like a dumbass. I love the Volt forever.

Devil
Devilsadvocate

Toronto, Canada

#8816 Feb 14, 2014
Gaylord sent another email.

Good Morning to Neil, Bob, and all the sexual people here.
Weather this morning is, well, basically the same as yesterday, and the day before, and the day before........snow and ice. Y'all who have ever seem my wife naked know the drill.
Went for a walk on the Malencon around the small marina here, and every Thursday they have a public sex dance with crafts, art, sex toys, lubricant miriachi bands, produce for inserting etc .
It's fun to just stroll around naked at the displays and stop to listen to music, etc.
We then went to the "Bath House" (a gay pub at the top of a big old lighthouse and had a couple of mango margaritas, a blow job, enjoyed the view from up there, etc.
Seeing 10 Volts in our travels around here--haven't I told you already the local dealer sold all his Volts?
Hope springs eternal im my butt.

Picture of us on the beach in HPV.

http://prestigemag.files.wordpress.com/2011/1...

Dave

Herndon, VA

#8817 Feb 14, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Our Volt was in a small fender bender and came out in good shape. GM did a good job with Volt.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#8818 Feb 14, 2014
Devilsadvocate wrote:
<quoted text>
Root, by any other name (actually he's known by many other names!), is also known as JJFADS.
Our resident chameleon--so transparent.
Unfortunately, there are always some who need such tacky and underhanded tactics.
The big question is what do they hope to gain by doing it?
OK, then you are a psychotic, or just a run of the mill boob, except with a towering sense of self regard. A person who, on a regular basis, puts forth obvious lies, with the expectation that they will largely benefit from doing so, is expressing deep seated contempt for his audience. Marks like you are especially pathetic, however, in that you tend to believe that the con is being executed to get over on people who you think are of a lesser sophistication than yourself.
You're the sort of dope who gets comped a free buffet in Las Vegas, looks disdainfully at the hoi polloi feeding their credit cards into the slots, and then goes upstairs to drop your money at the baccarat table, because house management made you feel good about yourself, and sent a pretty cocktail waitress to take your order. At one time you could muster an argument, now you can't even do that. My goal was achieved, just as it was with Toyota.
What a sap you are.
Obsessed With My Volt

Trumbull, CT

#8819 Feb 14, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go, dolt. The headline is:
"The Electric Bill Project:An Elementary School Introduction to Energy"
They are showing you how your bill is calculated. Nowhere on there do you see anything about ohm's law or the resistance of the path of your appliances. 1 kwh passing through a cord with the maximum amperage of 15 amps is equal to 1 kwh passing through a cord with the maximum amperage of 10 amps. Or 5 amps. The kwh takes longer to pass through the lower amp cords. But, it is still a kwh.
Remember, ohm's law is current is equal to the voltage / resistance.
Remember, resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current (amps).
In other words, if you try to put 220 volts through an extension cord with only 5 amps max load, you will fry it.
Most 220v appliances come with 30 amp cords. Most small extension cords are around 7 amps.
Just think of it this way. The bigger around and the shorter the cord, the more amps, the less resistance. You can actually picture it in your head. Well, maybe not. The more copper in the diameter of that cord, the more electrons can flow through it because of the diameter. If the cord is shorter, the electrons have a shorter path to flow.
Or, simply stated, touch the cord. If it's hot, unplug and get a bigger cord.
Hey simpleton, is that the way they explained it to you in the Chevrolet garage? Your just confusing yourself again. it's really not that complicated. But then again one look at the Ohm's Law pie chart will probably blow your mind. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible and help you out here:

P = V x I, or for you: Watts = Voltage x Amps. Kilowatts = Watts / 1000. Get it?

No wonder you spent all those years on a pole.

http://www.rmcybernetics.com/images/main/pyhs...
Obsessed With My Volt

Manassas, VA

#8820 Feb 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Hey simpleton, is that the way they explained it to you in the Chevrolet garage? Your just confusing yourself again. it's really not that complicated. But then again one look at the Ohm's Law pie chart will probably blow your mind. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible and help you out here:
P = V x I, or for you: Watts = Voltage x Amps. Kilowatts = Watts / 1000. Get it?
Hey simpleton, is that the way they explained it to you in the Mazda garage? You’re just confusing yourself again. It's really not that complicated. But then again one look at my wife’s pie chart will probably blow your mind. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible and help you out here:

P = My Butthole Entrance-Vaginalx I l ove men - or for you: Watts = Voltage x Amps. Kilowatts = Watts / 1000. Get it?

No wonder I spent all those years on a man’s pole.

I'm obsessed with my Volt!

My head is big.

http://www.setoline.ee/Alexitoo/wp-content/up...
Obsessed With My Volt

Manassas, VA

#8821 Feb 14, 2014
Clyde's is running a special all month on a Chile Braised Pork Shank for 14.95. With the money I'm saving with my Volt I can afford to buy Pork Shank for the whole family and my friends. Glad I got the Volt. I'm loving it.

http://www.setoline.ee/Alexitoo/wp-content/up...
Devilsadvocate

Toronto, Canada

#8822 Feb 14, 2014
Here in Puerto Veneral we're eating tons of Mexican food and chips. Some of the cash I saved up from the family business is helping out (both my daughters are with us) and it gets expensive. I did manage to get my daughter a facial at teh spa. She's having the time of her life!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f0bvyZMrZ9k/SjnZFMX...

Root

Shreveport, LA

#8824 Feb 14, 2014
Uh oh, JJFadds hit a nerve! Bad homosexual troll.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8826 Feb 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Wow, dolt. Why do I always have to say this to you:

Let me break it down into it's simplest form. That's about 5 times that I have had to say that to you now.

Remember, we are talking about cost of electricity. OK. We are talking about how the power companies charge you for your bill.

They don't care about the total resistance in your house. They don't care how many 110v and 220v appliances you have in your house. They don't care what size extension cords you use. They only care about the measure of electrons (kw's) passing by two points in your meter.

They only thing measured at your meter is kwh's. That's it dude. I hate to tell you this, but you are afraid to go outside and look at your meter. Cluck cluck cluck. Go out there. It says kwh's. Guaranteed.

OK ... back to business. Read this again. They are trying to teach people who are at the elementary school level of how the power companies charge us. Once again. From the link:

"The watt (W) is a unit of electrical power, which is the rate at which we use energy. We pay the electric company for the use of energy"

Definition of an ohm:

The ohm (symbol: &#937;) is the SI derived unit of electrical resistance, named after German physicist Georg Simon Ohm.

Did you get that word in there? Resistance. You are trying to teach me about power / electricity? The power companies can't charge you for the total resistance in your house. They have no way of measuring those ohms. They would have to come into your house and check every single item that uses electricity. They then would have to tear down your walls and check your wiring for thickness, type of wire, etc. They don't have time for that. It is flow they are metering. Flow man. Get it?

Definition of a watt:

The watt (symbol: W) is a derived unit of power in the International System of Units (SI), named after the Scottish engineer James Watt (1736–1819). The unit, defined as one joule per second, measures the rate of energy conversion or transfer.

Did you get that? "measure the rate of energy conversion or transfer. Transfer, man!!!! From one point to another. As in your meter.

Talk about cut and paste. Only a buffoon would bring up a pie chart when talking about how power companies charge their customers. The meter on your wall knows nothing about the pie chart. It only knows the flow of power. Measured in kwh's.

It can only measure the transfer of energy (electrons) past the meter. That's it. In very special cases, there are other types of meters. But I can guarantee you, 100%, the meter on the outside of your house is reading kwh's. Go outside and check it out. Don't be a cluck cluck.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8827 Feb 14, 2014
Now. Here is the lesson I tried to teach you before. The Volt battery is a 16 kw battery. Because the brilliant engineers at GM decided to take the worry out of the owners hands, as far as battery maintenance goes, only 10.3 kw's can be used ... period. This is called buffering.

The Chevy Volt 110v charger takes 10 - 11 hours to charge the battery.

Due to heat loss, heater / cooler coming on during charging, it takes 13 kwh's to charge the battery. 10.3 for the battery and the rest for cooling / warming / heat loss through the cable.

With a 220v charger, it only takes a little over 4 hours to charge. Thus, the heater / cooler / heat loss is cut down by more than 50%. Only about 12.5 kwh's are used with the 220v charger.

It costs less to use the 220v charger than the 110v charger. 4.5 hours at 2.8 kw's per hour vs. 10 hours at 1.3 kwh's per hour.. Simplistic math. The only difference is the heater / cooler / heat loss.

I'm sorry dolt. I tried to make it simple. This is as simple as it gets. Can't get it any simpler. I realize now that it is too much for you to handle.

Go ahead and come back with one of your statements that you have to pull out of your mouth. I can't help you here.

In the meantime, open your next bill. Read your next bill. They are charging you per kwh. They aren't trying to teach you about ohm's law. Don't be a fool.

And go outside and look at your meter. There ain't no chart on that meter. It just says kwh's dude.

I have to admit, this is the one subject that I can't crack that thick skull of yours with. Sorry man. Call your power company and demand to pay by the ohms. That's all I can say.
Chevy forever

Windsor, Canada

#8828 Feb 14, 2014
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>OK, then you are a psychotic, or just a run of the mill boob, except with a towering sense of self regard. A person who, on a regular basis, puts forth obvious lies, with the expectation that they will largely benefit from doing so, is expressing deep seated contempt for his audience. Marks like you are especially pathetic, however, in that you tend to believe that the con is being executed to get over on people who you think are of a lesser sophistication than yourself.
You're the sort of dope who gets comped a free buffet in Las Vegas, looks disdainfully at the hoi polloi feeding their credit cards into the slots, and then goes upstairs to drop your money at the baccarat table, because house management made you feel good about yourself, and sent a pretty cocktail waitress to take your order. At one time you could muster an argument, now you can't even do that. My goal was achieved, just as it was with Toyota.
What a sap you are.
You really think that moron can play baccarat? HAHA
Chevy forever

Windsor, Canada

#8829 Feb 14, 2014
Devilsadvocate wrote:
Hey all you fervent EV advocates...
Latest news--There's going to be some serious racing events soon with only electric powered race cars competing.
Problem is, batteries aren't going to last for the duration of these races.
Running at full power will quickly drain batteries throughout the events.
So drivers will need to change cars at intervals during these races.
Thrilling.
First prize is a free ticket to the EV races.
Second prize is two free tickets to the EV races!
Your first sentence is the only one true,,
I predict that Within ten years half of all vehicles will be electric,

http://youtu.be/2qCu0XgpQzs

http://youtu.be/q_cRqcbXAs4

http://youtu.be/jYG5Z6ypp8Q
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8831 Feb 14, 2014
GM's brilliant engineer, Andrew Farrah, explains the differenct between charging with a 220V charger and a 110V charger. Go to 2:20 of this video.

Remember, BMW had to "steal" one of the Volt's two top engineers in order to produce the i8. The engineer they stole spoke fluent German. Andrew Farrah is the other brilliant engineer. Only to a troll hating dolt would Andrew Farrah be stupid.

Here is one Volt owner who actually monitored his charging costs both with a 220v and a 110v charger.

Using the 220v charger, his total kwh's used were 11.9 kwh's.

Using the 110v charger, his total kwh's used were 13.5 kwh's.

At 10 cents per kwh, it would cost $1.35 with a 110 charger. It would cost $1.19 with a 220v charger.

http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/chevy-volt-ene...

Somebody needs to forget about resistance. Power flow past two points. AKA Kwh's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TOYO KEY OBDII program Toyota G chip H chip all... 1 hr eobdtool 1
1988 Mazda b2200 needs some more hp!!!!! (Oct '07) Sun Allen_ryan 12
pathfinder problems (Jan '06) Dec 3 G-Style 400
Cost - effective Land Rover Jaguar VXDIAG VCX N... Dec 2 uobd2 1
Renault diagnostic tool , choose COM Bluetooth ... Dec 1 uobd2 1
OBDSTAR X300 PRO3 Key Master Update F108 PSA Pi... Dec 1 My Car repair Park 1
VVDI2 Commander Key Programmer Latest V1.2.5 Up... Dec 1 My Car repair Park 1
More from around the web