Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 | Posted by: JJFADS | Full story: taintedgreen.com

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Comments
7,901 - 7,920 of 9,213 Comments Last updated Thursday Jul 24
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Judged:

iluvmyVolt wrote:
Wooops, forgot to make not of the commentators words at the end. The average Volt own who charges regularly is averaging 900 miles between fill ups.
And the hater from Windsor is in P.V., Mexico, in his room, waiting for his iPad to bong, letting him know that Topix has emailed him.
Not too smart. You should wait until later so that I think that you were out on the town and having a blast. Oh ... I know. You were just getting ready to step out and you heard the bong. Now you are out on the town.
Too bad you are older than me and you still have to work. I retired 15 years ago. No income. Bills payed until I'm 90. Includes 3 more new cars. After that I will become a hardship for somebody.
Oh ... I forgot, you're income from just your $2.8 million business is paying for you trip. The other businesses pay for your houses and condos and cars.
Poooooooooooooooooooo poooooooooooooooooooooo. Stinks!!!!
900 miles between fillups is a notable number.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

I would like to see a study on how much savings one has at 900 miles on a tank of gas compared to a no frills economy car over the period of a year.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Or better yet the savings over 5 years.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Judged:

Devilsadvocate wrote:
<quoted text>
All things considered, the EV will come out ahead,( a no brainer!), but depending on the make/model of the gas powered comparison, the difference might not be as spectacular as one might think.
And the there are user friendly/unfriendly trade offs which must be taken into consideration.
EV have their pluses and minuses, just as conventional vehicles do.
I prefer to look at both sides with an open mind.
Then there's the public perception factor (perception is reality).
Generally speaking, the early adopters are carrying the day at present.
The buying public as a whole just isn't ready for EVs yet.
This! Fair and reasonable commentary. Was is it so hard? If you would do things like that and continue to do things like that, it would be great. Nobody cares about your vacations, your businesses, cottages, wife, kids, etc. I told you I didnít care if you were in Mexico or Guam. Said it one time. You came back with some senseless rambling:

ďGlad to see both Root and Luvvy now have their minds at ease regarding our whereabouts for the next two months.
Being as stressed out as they were about that must have been difficult, given they talked about it so often.
They're going to have to learn to be more trustful.Ē

Just because I donít believe youíre in Mexico doesnít warrant such silliness. Itís not important. Thatís why I posted the ďDonít be SillyĒ video of the woman dancing around.

Anyway, good job on taking the high road on that last post. More of the same please.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Not complaining just pointed out your silliness. Not playing by any set of rules, just suggesting you offer clear propaganda free reasonable thought with sensible intelligence from time to time. Not using your name, if it makes you feel better you can blame all you want. Positive participation in a community should be a common goal, even for you.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Practice what you preach. Make you an offer. Cut out all the propaganda, trolling, and goofy homosexual talk at once. In return I'll stop any postings on threads that talk about your wife's pubic hair or Toronto's drug mayor and toilet bums. As a bonus I will also send you some lobsters, free of charge to a po box of your choice.
Ultra Limited Use Vehicle

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Just returned from a great weekend skiing. Unfortuneately I didn't see one Volt all weekend. I didn't see one Volt all weekend, not on the highway, not in the mountains, not in the parking lots. I just don't understand how the most decorated automobile in history can be ignored by this segment of the population; these are intelligent, upper income people. The obsessed one told us it was a great winter / snow car; maybe he can explain it.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Judged:

No advice was given. This is something you have to work on, though another story. I offer you free lobster, possibly one of the best meals you will ever have. Also offered is the end of any and all comment about your wifeís pubic hairs and you respond with negative comments. This is your time, put away pride and stand strong. Love your neighbor. Be a Canada man.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Judged:

Somebody is really worried about what I believe. He knows what I believe. I love what Judge Milian of People's Court says.

"I wouldn't believe you if your tongue came notarized". As she says, catch you in one lie, you are a liar from them on.

So he meets this phantom in a coffee shop and he passes on diatribe from this phantom. Now he's blaming phantoms for his lies.

Somebody is in frigid land, pretending to be in P.V., Mexico.

Children.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Judged:

Ultra Limited Use Vehicle wrote:
Just returned from a great weekend skiing. Unfortuneately I didn't see one Volt all weekend. I didn't see one Volt all weekend, not on the highway, not in the mountains, not in the parking lots. I just don't understand how the most decorated automobile in history can be ignored by this segment of the population; these are intelligent, upper income people. The obsessed one told us it was a great winter / snow car; maybe he can explain it.
Awesome!!!

http://redchocobo.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-hate...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Go with the Dodge; unless you don't travel more than 20 miles from home, and don't have any interests and activities that require a real car. On the other hand if you like hanging out in Chevy dealers garages listening to cheapskates and blowhards, and like spending your days looking for places to mooching free electricity; go with the Volt.
Awesome!!!

http://redchocobo.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-hate...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Judged:

Root wrote:
Or better yet the savings over 5 years.
Here you go:

The average driver travels 13,476 miles per year.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

The Volt's gas tank holds 9 gallons of gas.

Real world Volt drivers get 42 mpg when in gas mode.

13,476 miles equates to 36.9 miles per day. 900 miles between fill ups would then equate to 24.4 days before a fill up.

There are 14.95 of these periods within a year.

In that 900 miles, the Volt travels 378 miles in gas mode.(42 X 9).

This means Volt drivers are averaging 522 miles in electric mode.(900 - 378).

The average Volt owner travels 43 miles per charge. 40 for older Voltes and 45 for newer Volts.

At $3.50 per gallon for gas and 9 cents per kwh for electricity, the average Volt owner spends $31.50 for gas.

The average Volt owner will charge his / her car 12.14 times in that period.(522 / 43).

13 kwh's to charge a Volt from a complete discharge.

$1.17 to charge (9 cents X 13 kwh's to charge).

This means that the average Volt owner will spend $14.20 for electricity for those 522 electric miles.

Bringing the Volt's total to $45.70 for those 900 miles.

A Toyota Prius gets 50 mpg. Those 900 miles cost $63.

A Toyota Prius V gets 44 mpg.$71.60

A Honda Civic gets 36 mpg combined.$87.50

Extrapolated out a year (14.95 periods): The below totals include the cost of 3 oil changes for the gas cars. The Volt needs zero oil changes within that time period.

Volt:$683.21
5 years:$3,416.00

Prius:$1,041.85
5 years:$5209.00

Prius V:$1170.42
5 years:$5,850.00

Honda Civic:$1,408.12
5 years:$7040

Now, compared to a car that fits closer to the Volt in luxary terms. The top of the line Honda Accord. Real world drivers are getting 32 mpg.

Total:$1,571.61.
5 years:$7,858

One big however. Since the average Volt owner gets 43 miles per charge, the Volt owners who drive 38 miles per day won't use any gas.

Also, add about $125 to the gas cars for a brake pad replacement after 5 years. We are talking about average here. Most brake pads last 50,000 miles on average. The Volt's pads will last about 150,000 miles.

“Oh Canada”

Since: Feb 14

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go:
13,476 miles equates to 36.9 miles per day. 900 miles between fill ups would then equate to 24.4 days before a fill up.
The average Volt owner travels 43 miles per charge. 40 for older Voltes and 45 for newer Volts.
At $3.50 per gallon for gas and 9 cents per kwh for electricity, the average Volt owner spends $31.50 for gas.
The average Volt owner will charge his / her car 12.14 times in that period.(522 / 43).
This means that the average Volt owner will spend $14.20 for electricity for those 522 electric miles.
Extrapolated out a year (14.95 periods): The below totals include the cost of 3 oil changes for the gas cars. The Volt needs zero oil changes within that time period.
Now, compared to a car that fits closer to the Volt in luxary terms. The top of the line Honda Accord. Real world drivers are getting 32 mpg.
One big however. Since the average Volt owner gets 43 miles per charge, the Volt owners who drive 38 miles per day won't use any gas.
Also, add about $125 to the gas cars for a brake pad replacement after 5 years. We are talking about average here. Most brake pads last 50,000 miles on average. The Volt's pads will last about 150,000 miles.
You have to believe me. I'm in Mexico on the beach. Volt owner gets 43 miles per charge and the Volt owners who drive 38 miles per day won't use any gas? This is so cool. Volt is saving the world.

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go:
Beyond Obsessed!
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go:
Thank you for doing that. It allows us to see the different comparisons together.

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Devilsadvocate wrote:
Fortunately for those of us who know better, there's a huge disparity between Luvvy's fiscal world and the real world of economics.
The obsessed one's grasp of simple math and financial analysis is comical; he may be a fool, but he's always good for a laugh.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

When all is said and done imo one of the attributes that shines through occurs when you keep the Volt in that initial 40 mile range. This seems to be the sweet spot. Using the car as intended can for the most part provide exceptional efficiency.
Orwellian Dilemma

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Root wrote:
When all is said and done imo one of the attributes that shines through occurs when you keep the Volt in that initial 40 mile range. This seems to be the sweet spot. Using the car as intended can for the most part provide exceptional efficiency.
That is the way the car was designed. When GM designed the Volt they took the average commute and designed the range around an average of what the majority commutes are. When operated within those ranges, the Volt returns a nice set of numbers.

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

iluvmyVolt wrote:
Somebody is really worried about what I believe. He knows what I believe. I love what Judge Milian of People's Court says.
"I wouldn't believe you if your tongue came notarized". As she says, catch you in one lie, you are a liar from them on.
New we know how the Obsessed One spends his time will his Volt is charging.
Devilsadvocate

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
I'm a cocksucker but I love the Volt.
Two poops and a raspberry for you!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Autos Forum right now

Search the Autos Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Court favors disclosing anti-gay marriage donors 10 min Wondering 1,777
Arizona to get unaccompanied immigrant youths 10 hr Betrayed 51
What is the most reliable engine ever made? (Aug '08) 17 hr roadster32 186
Lockheed Martin has a unique opportunity with H... Wed Flyer 1
How are you with Ford !? Wed ExFord 1
New Experience !? Jul 29 ForestTown 2
Poll: GOP, tea party unfavorables at all-time h... (Oct '13) Jul 29 mjjcpa 112
•••

Buy a New Car