Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11767 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8393 Jan 27, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
And he was quite disappointed because he couldn't fit his golf clubs into his Volt during his trips to Florida and back.!
(But he says he gets good mileage around town--it's an economical commuter car)
Chevy Volt with golf clubs in the back.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8394 Jan 27, 2014
I have a friend who takes his S.U.V. to the golf course every week. I challenged him to go to the golf course every week without visiting the gas station for 3 months.

He bought a Volt. He still goes to the golf course.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8395 Jan 27, 2014
Uh oh, nobody told this owner he couldn't take his Volt to Taho.

http://evworld.com/article.cfm...

Uh oh ... somebody traveled cross country averaging just under 80 mph,(sometimes hitting 100 mph) with 3 people and all their luggage. and they still averaged 38 mpg. Somebody should tell them that they can't do that!!! Poo-man-2 and his imaginary Volt owner friend say so.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/1...

Why does it piss you off so much that owners love the Volt? Why are you here? You never post anything without back-up. You make up stories that you can't prove.

I already know the answer. It's not a question that I need an answer to. But I do get a kick out of the fact that you lose sleep at night because your car swallows your money.

That's why you have to live in a suburb of Detroit.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8396 Jan 27, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
I base my judgement of people on three things...(1) Character; (2) Integrity; and (3) Competence.
Following these precepts has served me well in life as well.
You would be wise to consider these precepts, being as you fail to meet the standard in all three categories.
You have never posted anything on this forum that wasn't proven wrong. What does that make you in numbers 1, 2 and 3?

Remember the "Volt is 3 cars in one"?
Or the guy that got electrocuted through a plastic stick shift that has absolutely no connection to the big battery?
Or your claim that the Volt was losing $49,000 per car built?
Or your recent claims that the Volt was just as dirty (emissions) as any gas car?
Or that the Volt batteries will die out quickly?
Or the Volt's depreciation means the Volt costs more to own than gas cars?
Or the most recent one, a Volt can't get as good mileage as a Dodge Journey?

Now ... that last one is one of your biggest lies. You have absolutely no credibility nor integrity here.

You are telling us that a 26 mpg car beat a 40 mpg car? Especially when I proved to you (above) that the Volt beat a VW TDI in a millage smack down covering 800 miles +? 41 mpg for 800 miles can't beat a Dodge Journey?

You actually expect everybody here to swallow that one? You call out other peoples' credibility and then you tell that whopper?

Here ... Volt driven 600 miles plus. 42.9 mpg gas mode only.

Here ... Dodge Journey - 21 mpg for 100 km

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

You really expect us to believe that you have a friend that owns a Volt after being busted with that huge lie?

The Dodge Journey can't even get 1/2 of the Volt's mpg.

Integrity! You have zero. The same as your character.

Friendly advice again. When you make up crap in your head. Take a moment to stop your fingers from typing that crap out. Otherwise, you will get called out on it again.

Remember, I am keeping tabs of all your lies.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8397 Jan 28, 2014
Goodness gracious and great balls of fire, our resident Volt Disciple has really raised the bar this time on nastiness, vitriol, name calling, personal insults, and just plain mean spirited discourse.
Lost it this time for sure.
One wonders if it's just an inherent way of life for this guy--if in fact he even has a life outside of just being miserable.
As always, Luvvy posts a massive shopping list of gripes, perhaps in the belief that if he publishes more dirt, it'll have greater impact.
But I just allow it to easily roll off my shoulders, in the knowledge that he's just a cranky fellow who probably wakes up every day looking for someone or something to get upset about.
All Luvvy's weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth over just. one guy who simply posts what he finds on the web, or merely repeats what he hears from others--and about a car for God's sake.
He seems to have an overriding compulsion to shoot the messenger every time something is said to get him all riled up.
Go figure!

Oh well, we'll just have to (once again) chalk it up to the oft repeated pearl of wisdom--"it takes all kinds of folks to make a world".

In this case, they really went off the rails.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8398 Jan 28, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
I do get a kick out of the fact that you lose sleep at night because your car swallows your money.
That's why you have to live in a suburb of Detroit.
You got it wrong--again!(Or should I say "still")

I sleep quite well at night, every night, thank you.
But I do occasionally chuckle at your childish tantrums before nodding off.

And we live in a rural area 20 clicks called "The Town Of Lakeshore" outside of Windsor and on a 2 acre lakefront property. Right now there are a few kids out skating on a rink just off the beach which we built for the neighbourhood. Lots of fun.
Next week we'll be in our condo in Puerto Vallarta, and will continue to enjoy laughing at your silly temper tantrums until April.
Dr Sigmund Fraud

Florham Park, NJ

#8399 Jan 28, 2014
Nurse, would you break out a straitjacket, obsessedwithmyVolt must be off his meds again.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8400 Jan 28, 2014
Dr Sigmund Fraud wrote:
Nurse, would you break out a straitjacket, obsessedwithmyVolt must be off his meds again.
I honestly believe there's a problem there which goes deeper than meds.
Getting as angry and vengeful as we see happening over something as trivial as a car speaks to a serious emotional malfunction.
It might be helpful to ease up on the needling.
Otherwise it might result in an ugly melt down.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8401 Jan 28, 2014
Here's a post I cut pasted about an owner who's had at least 11 trips to his dealer to correct problems with his Volt

Originally Posted by rdunniii November 22, 2013, 11 times to dealer! All for significant problems! Sounds like a lemon law thing to me.

1: alignment off. Toe-in fixed.

2: Service Parking Brake and calendar ahead issue.

3: Service Parking Brake not fixed and vibration in brake pedal and grinding from front end.

4: Vibration and grinding not fixed.

5: Clunk when engaging parking brake and no heat.

6: Check engine light. OnStar states is for the electrical propulsion and charging system not performing as expected.
P0D22
P1E00
Charge door not opening correctly
Rear armrest rattle

7: Rear parking brake clunk returned.

When playing USB Nav screen goes to now playing whether using directions or just looking at map.

Climate control issue morning of 3-11-13. See photo. PIC5796A for no heat issue. May fix this one.- appears to be fixed.

Alignment again.

Rear armrest rattle returned.

8: Brought Volt in for tire rotation and software update. Update fixed bluetooth issue, but the tire rotation wasn't completed correctly. Had to return for recalibration of TPMS right front sensor.- 7-20-13.

9: Lost communication with high voltage charging system - Energy. Climate control lost most buttons. Radios stations lost. No startup or shutdown sounds. Error codes: none.

10: Vehicle integration control system. Charge port door not working as expected. Vehicle electric system HPCM error. 2nd trip for faulty charge doors.

Parking brake pads sticking when disengaged.

Tire rotation.

Updates.

Oil change

11: Clunking in rear. Clunk when transitioning in L. Regen noisy.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8402 Jan 28, 2014
Calm down propagandist troll. Volt is still number one.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8403 Jan 28, 2014
Root wrote:
Never said otherwise. Good for Volt.
And I'm just as calm as can be.
What ever made you think I wasn't?
Or is that just because you rarely, if ever, think?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8404 Jan 28, 2014
The amount of posts love volt can summon out of you and the lack of your ability to bring forth anything to prove what he says is wrong. Sometimes being the propagandist troll gets you deeper into a hole and reduces you to what you have become. Positivity and honesty is a cure. Go ahead and respond with something goofy. Back to work on the kitchen. Volt is number one, celebrate.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8405 Jan 28, 2014
Root wrote:
The amount of posts love volt can summon out of you and the lack of your ability to bring forth anything to prove what he says is wrong. Sometimes being the propagandist troll gets you deeper into a hole and reduces you to what you have become. Positivity and honesty is a cure. Go ahead and respond with something goofy. Back to work on the kitchen. Volt is number one, celebrate.
Some good advice..
Avoid getting slivers.
Keep band-aids handy.
Don't forget to turn the power off doing electrical work.
Measure twice-cut once.

Almost forgot..
Who says I have to prove anything?
Tell it to somebody who gives a damn.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8406 Jan 28, 2014
Root wrote:
He's lying so big time now. Actually, I think he has been trolling again. He has found something posted by a hater and he has taken the bait. Read all of this ... there is a little tidbit about this "rdunniii" at the end of this post.

This is the one that gives it away:

"Clunk when transitioning in L"

The Volt has no transmission. There is no L or D or R other than software. I've never heard of software "clunking".

When the Volt's "shifter", which is nothing more than a joystick, is put into L, there is no transmission to change gears. The software tells the electric motor to be more aggressive, regen-wise, when coasting. You can drive 100 mph in L because there is no difference ratio wise because there is no transmission. Software is the only difference and only when coasting.

There is no gear. It's software.

From the link:

"Not to be too Star Trek–y here, but the Volt is practically a holodeck on wheels. The throttle is by wire, the regenerative brakes are by wire, and the oversize shifter in the center console is just a fancy electric switch. The steering wheel is actually connected to the front wheels, but its effort is managed by an electric power-assist system. The algorithms embedded in the Volt’s software mediate virtually all the sensations transmitted by the car to the driver. That’s not hydraulic pressure you feel when you step on the brakes but rather the feel one of the computers has determined you’d find satisfying. This is as close as any manufacturer has come to throwing four wheels on a driving simulator and selling it to the public."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-chev...

Almost everything in the Volt is by wire.

There are lots of haters that log on to GM's owners sites and put up bs. Yes, even
GM Volt owner sites have haters log on. Nothing is sacred.

However, they are a lot more knowledgeable than our local hater. They do actually know much about electric cars in general, but they give themselves away eventually. It's a weird world.

Anyway, there is no gear for low. There are no gears. There can be no clunk when shifting to L unless GM programmed a clunk noise to blow peoples minds.

So, whoever posted this is a hater ... albeit a very knowledgeable hater, but one who didn't know that there is no transmission in the Volt. When you want to go backwards, the motor spins backwards. The shifter is connected by wire only to the Volt's computer. The computer then tells the electric motor to spin backwards and the car goes backwards.

By the way ... this rdunniii .... he is a member of the Tesla Club. Hmmmmmm????????

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/member.php/986...

The hater keeps looking and he keeps finding other haters stuff. He'll never learn.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8407 Jan 28, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
I honestly believe there's a problem there which goes deeper than meds.
Getting as angry and vengeful as we see happening over something as trivial as a car speaks to a serious emotional malfunction.
It might be helpful to ease up on the needling.
Otherwise it might result in an ugly melt down.
Read my above post. You got burned by a Tesla owner. There are haters posting crap on GM's Volt owner sites also. But he gave himself away. There can be no clunk because there is no transmission.

The shifter is a joy stick which is connected to the computer by wire. Never heard of wires clunking. The shifter, when put in L, is sending an electronic signal to the computer, when then sends an electronic signal to the electric motor. When put in R, the wire link tells the electric motor to spin backwards.

In all of my studies, I have never found an instance of any electric motor clunking, unless there was a monkey wrench thrown into it. That is what you found. A monkey wrench thrown in by a Tesla owner.

Also, do you honestly think that I am going to let you get off that easy on your biggest lie yet. The monster lie you told about the Dodge Journey, which only gets 21 mpg, beating the Volt on a long distance journey?

I guess that you don't realize that the Volt is most efficient, when in E mode, in the city. However, the Volt is most efficient, Gas mode, when on the freeway.

You poor sap. Your car is only most efficient in one area. My car is most efficient in either.

You fell for some hater, posting crap and you have egg on your face.

You lied big time about knowing some Volt owner who claimed that his Volt got less than 20 mpg on the freeway.

You fell for some guy from a Tesla club. Now, that guy was a lot more knowledgeable than you, but he didn't know that the Volt has no transmission to go clunk. There are no gears. Just a single speed gear box that is always linked between the planetary and the wheels. It is never dis-engaged!! It only spins forward or backward. It can never go clunk.

Why don't you just come out of the hater closet? Really. People here would respect you much more.

You're just a hater.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8408 Jan 28, 2014
Noticed this customer review in Edmunds the other day.
Thought maybe some might find it interesting.

"2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
Review
I decided to give the 2013 Volt a try after my '10 Prius hit 190K. My car is loaded with almost every option and I paid 34K before tax credit. I drive 36 miles r/t to work and usually make it on electric. Pros: Tight, drives like a vault, quiet, smooth. Technology Int and ext styling. Fantastic economy. Cons: Price even after $9000 dealer discount Craftmanship--lots of problems Poor ergonomics The center stack has buttons scattered about, seat heater turns on by itself, electric charger door fell off, 110v charger stopped working, trim pieces fell off, ipod stopped working, poor craftsmanship.
Favorite Features
Economy, economy, and economy technology
Suggested Improvements
Craftmanship Fix the dash and organize the buttons scattered about!!! Dealer service and support--Not good in Portland, Oregon--dealer didn't care at all about problems On Star experience very poor with foreign operators and difficulty buying minutes for phone--I finally gave up. Competing with Japan need more work. I would not buy this car again because of the problems I have experienced
Recommend (0)(0)
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8410 Jan 28, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Some good advice..
Avoid getting slivers.
Keep band-aids handy.
Don't forget to turn the power off doing electrical work.
Measure twice-cut once.
Almost forgot..
Of course you don't have to prove anything. Liars never prove anything. Liars can't prove anything.

By the way .... since the inception of this blog, you have never proved anything. A point of honor for you, I know, but then you turn around and deny your lies. And we definitely know you don't give a damn.

Dodge Journey? 21 mpg? Beat a Volt's 43 mpg?

When I go salmon fishing on the Rogue River, we have to yell "fish on" so the other fishermen know they have to pull in their gear.

From now on, I'm going to yell "fish on!!!!" when you post a whopper.
Leagle Beagle

Toronto, Canada

#8411 Jan 28, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Read my above post. You got burned by a Tesla owner. There are haters posting crap on GM's Volt owner sites also. But he gave himself away. There can be no clunk because there is no transmission.
The shifter is a joy stick which is connected to the computer by wire. Never heard of wires clunking. The shifter, when put in L, is sending an electronic signal to the computer, when then sends an electronic signal to the electric motor. When put in R, the wire link tells the electric motor to spin backwards.
In all of my studies, I have never found an instance of any electric motor clunking, unless there was a monkey wrench thrown into it. That is what you found. A monkey wrench thrown in by a Tesla owner.
Also, do you honestly think that I am going to let you get off that easy on your biggest lie yet. The monster lie you told about the Dodge Journey, which only gets 21 mpg, beating the Volt on a long distance journey?
I guess that you don't realize that the Volt is most efficient, when in E mode, in the city. However, the Volt is most efficient, Gas mode, when on the freeway.
You poor sap. Your car is only most efficient in one area. My car is most efficient in either.
You fell for some hater, posting crap and you have egg on your face.
You lied big time about knowing some Volt owner who claimed that his Volt got less than 20 mpg on the freeway.
You fell for some guy from a Tesla club. Now, that guy was a lot more knowledgeable than you, but he didn't know that the Volt has no transmission to go clunk. There are no gears. Just a single speed gear box that is always linked between the planetary and the wheels. It is never dis-engaged!! It only spins forward or backward. It can never go clunk.
Why don't you just come out of the hater closet? Really. People here would respect you much more.
You're just a hater.
Almost forgot..
I really like the Volt.
Leagle Beagle

Toronto, Canada

#8412 Jan 28, 2014
This is a short video I shot three weeks ago. It's my first karate lesson.

Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8413 Jan 28, 2014
Looks like customer reaction to Volt isn't quite 100 percent.
Here's another Edmunds review which might interest some folks.

"2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Review
My Wife and I bought 2 of these Volts in 2012. Within 7 months my Volt had a major Regen bearing failure. The dealer tried to replace it twice. They ended up giving me a new car (A buyback). Within 1000 miles of owning the new 2013 Volt, I had no heat, that took 2 trips to the dealer to fix, and then the same Regen bearing failure that took weeks to get repaired! Now just in the past 3 weeks my Wifes Volt Died. It had to be towed in 2 times. The dealer said it was a 12 Battery issue. They replaced it and it failed again! These cars have too many issues that the dealer or GM have knowledge enough to fix properly. Buyer Beware...buy at your own risk! "

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News San Francisco police chief releases more racist... Fri Julie Jane 1
Key cutting Automatic V8/X6 or Miracle A7 Fri Ambrosio 1
GM Tech2 “Access to Security Access was denied” Apr 28 Ambrosio 1
News FCA to recall 1.1 million vehicles for confusin... Apr 27 who 1
New BMW INPA K+CAN With FT232RQ Chip Apr 27 uobd2 1
How to program Citroen key fob with Lexia 3 Dia... Apr 26 car-diagnostic-tool 1
News 1968 Chevy Camaro - Green Car Apr 26 Lucy Jane 1
More from around the web