Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11770 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Root

Shreveport, LA

#8326 Jan 24, 2014
Some trolls never learn. Change subjects, direct attention to your opponent and make up falsehoods. You posted propaganda plain and simple and itís not the first time. That makes you a propagandist, no ifs ands or butts about it. You complain about the treatment you receive here. Maybe you should look at your own actions and the manner in which you treat others. Those providing the nasty talk to your quacky statements probably get a jolly from it. One would hope you would come to the conclusion that your behavior is the driving force of retribution you receive. Nice touch with the GM employee falsehood though. Iíve never worked for GM in my life. Iím not a car person. Just a tell it and call it as it is person. Iím calling Volt the most popular and revolutionary market leader in its class.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8327 Jan 24, 2014
Root wrote:
Umm unless you're stuck in 2007 and rehashing GM's old managemenstatement, it's a niche product not made or marketed for the mainstream, though still the top seller. For a man that believes these cars will be obsolete you sure do complain alot about them.
The Volt is still ahead of the Prius sales after 38 months of their initial sales. It is still outselling 52% of all the car models sold in the USA.

"Lack of recharging infrastructure". I laughed so hard. The infrastructure is my wall plug in my garage. What a joke!!!

Talk about infrastructure. Hydrogen fuel cells require stations. What a joke.

From the link:

"Carter suggests that hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will be just as clean to run as electric vehicles, producing zero emissions and have that fun-to-drive electric motor torque. At the same time, you can refuel a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle in minutes, just like a conventional vehicle, the best of both worlds. Iím cool with all that, but Iím still having trouble wrapping my head around how few hydrogen refueling stations there are out there. Maybe Toyotaís got some plan theyíre keeping close to the chest, something like the Tesla Supercharger network?"

http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2014/01/17/gre...

A hydrogen fuel cell car will always have to go to a station. Just like a gas car. There are only 10 refueling stations in the whole state of California at this time!!! That's 10!! I'm pretty sure every garage has a wall outlet.

Fuel for these cars is currently at $3.29 per gallon. The best fuel cell cars are getting 60 mpg. That equates to more than twice the national average to charge an electric car. And that is the best of the best.

In 5 to 7 years, it is predicted that pure electric cars will have about a 400 mile range. The batteries will be able to be recharged while you sit in a restaurant and eat a meal. You will never have to charge anywhere but at home at that time.

People with brains will stick solar on their roofs because solar has a better return than most stocks.

Here is a link that shows that people in California will save $40,000 over a 20 year period after an initial investment of $10,000.

No brainer. Free electricity. An Volt with the planned 200 mile range and a gas back up will cover about 95% of the year with pure electric power. That car is predicted to cost about $22,000 -$25,000, before credits.

The Toyota fuel cell car will cost $100,000 when it hits the market.

I would invest in the electric car market. The future looks bright.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8328 Jan 24, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Especially, since the Honda Fit has done well over the years in all the other safety tests....make's me wonder about the continuing variations on the crash tests.....Fiat's results seem more believable.....
This is a new test, but not that new. It is the front end - side collision, as apposed to a full front end. The heavier cars like the Volt and the Leaf get 5 stars in this test.

I had a link to one of these articles but I can't find it now. They explained that the weight of the battery means that the energy of the crash is transferred to the other vehicle, whereas the lighter vehicles don't fare so well.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8330 Jan 24, 2014
Here is a lease deal that is pretty cheap when gas savings are factored in.$189 a month before savings.

It's called the "No Brainer Deal".

This is the cost if one drives the average miles per day per the census, 37 miles. 13,000 miles per year.

$2,268 lease cost per year
$875 over mileage per year
$376 charging costs.
$0 gas

$3,519 total -$293 per month for the cost of the lease and charging costs.

An average mpg gas car with the same lease costs would cost $2,055 more to operate after gas is factored in, at $3.50 per gallon.$1,680 more when you subtract the Volts charging costs.

$5,175 total -$431 per month for the cost of the lease and fuel.

That is a savings on gas of $138 per month. After the gas savings is factored in, the lease for the Volt is $1,860 per year.$155 a month because $138 was not spent on gas.

Gas savings means that the money you don't spend on gas can be applied to (subtracted from) the cost of the lease.

Of course, one would have to believe that savings on gas is money in the bank. Some folks don't. Their loss.

http://www.capitolchevysj.com/volt.htm...

Two kids get $1 allowance a week. The two kids go to two different candy stores and buy the same candy bar every week.

One kid pays $1.00 for a candy bar.

The other kid pays $0.50 for the same candy bar.

The second kid has $0.50 to put in his piggy bank every week.

After two weeks, the first kid has purchased 2 candy bars and has nothing in his piggy bank.

After two weeks and after purchasing 2 candy bars, the second kid has $1 in the piggy bank.

Simple math.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8332 Jan 24, 2014
Root wrote:
Opinion and propaganda Ė two different animals. Your comment was not opinion it was propaganda as I quote your very words ďEleven Reasons why Volt isn't selling as hoped.Ē If you had directed some of what you spat at the Leaf, some of it would be acceptable as Nissan openly touts Leaf as mainstream and not a niche.
What part of niche and not marketed to the mainstream do I need to explain first, dog?
He says that the Volt is far too expensive to own. That is why I am posting all these 5 year to own comparisons. Did you look at the one above?

After 5 years, you can own 2 Volts for the cost of owning one Maxima. That's T-W-O Volts!!! Too expensive to own? What does that make the Maxima? Outrageous?

But he wants to compare the Volt to a Corolla. The nice thing about the Corolla is that they are good cars for young people just starting out in life. I was there once.

But they don't have hemorrhoids, so the Corolla is perfect.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8333 Jan 24, 2014
woops ... meant "after credits" in post 8327

That car is predicted to cost about $22,000 -$25,000, before credits. Even when the credits are gone, the Volt will still beat any comparably priced car by a long shot.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8334 Jan 25, 2014
Root wrote:
Some trolls never learn. Change subjects, direct attention to your opponent and make up falsehoods. You posted propaganda plain and simple and itís not the first time. That makes you a propagandist, no ifs ands or butts about it. You complain about the treatment you receive here. Maybe you should look at your own actions and the manner in which you treat others. Those providing the nasty talk to your quacky statements probably get a jolly from it. One would hope you would come to the conclusion that your behavior is the driving force of retribution you receive. Nice touch with the GM employee falsehood though. Iíve never worked for GM in my life. Iím not a car person. Just a tell it and call it as it is person. Iím calling Volt the most popular and revolutionary market leader in its class.
Are you sure you're not taking your response lessons from the Volt Lover?
Just about the same level of hysterical/irrational defensiveness in your sentiments.

Blaming yours truly for the vulgar and offensive posts you and your cloned perverts use?
Blaming yours truly for the hateful and vitriolic rants by the Volt Lover?

My friend, you need to learn one very basic truth, and that is, nobody--but nobody--forces one to act like that.
Conduct at such a ridiculously childish level comes from within, not without.

FYI, none of those pathetic actions bothers me much--i simply marvel at it as an example of how immaturely some people allow themselves to act in a public forum.(And then blame others for their actions!)

And if you feel obliged to call what I do "propaganda", then fill your boots.
Doesn't worry me in the least.
(You and the Volt Lover do a pretty good job of doing much of the same, with a few exceptions--I do it better, more civilly, and objectively)
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8335 Jan 25, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
He says that the Volt is far too expensive to own. That is why I am posting all these 5 year to own comparisons. Did you look at the one above?
After 5 years, you can own 2 Volts for the cost of owning one Maxima. That's T-W-O Volts!!! Too expensive to own? What does that make the Maxima? Outrageous?
But he wants to compare the Volt to a Corolla. The nice thing about the Corolla is that they are good cars for young people just starting out in life. I was there once.
But they don't have hemorrhoids, so the Corolla is perfect.
TheVolt Lover goes off on yet another tangent--claiming I said something that I didn't.

"Volt is too expensive to own?"

Geez, I thought I was talking about "all" EVs being "expensive to buy".

Next time we'll have to say it more sloowwly--or perhaps spell it out.

Oh yeah--in case Volt Lover didn't get this statement right the first time, I'll repeat it---while we were discussing 'cost to own', I suggested "comparing Volt to Corolla, and stated the latter is lower than the former"
Something wrong with that?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8336 Jan 25, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
TheVolt Lover goes off on yet another tangent--claiming I said something that I didn't.
"Volt is too expensive to own?"
Geez, I thought I was talking about "all" EVs being "expensive to buy".
Next time we'll have to say it more sloowwly--or perhaps spell it out.
Oh yeah--in case Volt Lover didn't get this statement right the first time, I'll repeat it---while we were discussing 'cost to own', I suggested "comparing Volt to Corolla, and stated the latter is lower than the former"
Something wrong with that?
Yes ... you conveniently left out the fact that you stated comparing a car that cost $3,000 less than the volt (the Audi) was over the top. Please explain that statement. And don't deny it ... I will go back and find it and put your nose in it.

What does over the top mean in your world, since you are the hater that stated it?

I call comparing like priced cars fair and balanced. Remember those words? Those are your words. You prefer to compare a car that costs exactly half the price of the Volt. You call that fair? And by the way, the Volt makes up almost $10,000 on the Corolla in those 5 years.

Also ... too expensive to buy is also too expensive to own. You can't own one if you can't buy one. Duh!

What do they teach you up there in Canadian grammar schools?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8338 Jan 25, 2014
The biggest bugaboo for fuel cell cars, producing hydrogen is, at present, as dirty as producing most fossil fuels. The cars are zero polluting, but what about the fuel?

Almost 100% of all hydrogen produced in this country is done so by stripping the hydrogen from natural gas or coal in a catalytic converter using steam.

The remaining hydrocarbons are released into the atmosphere. I've read many articles that claim all hydrogen will be produced by the electrolysis method, using water. It is a double edged sword, as this method requires much more electricity than the standard method. Where will that electricity come from? Hydrocarbon producing fuels.

Some companies claim that they will use solar to produce hydrogen. My thought is that big oil, seeing a shift to fuel cell cars will buy out these companies and do business as usual. Instead of dirty gas, we will have dirty hydrogen. They have multi billions of dollars to protect their own interests. To think that they will sit idly by and let someone put them out of business is naive. Most analysts think that they will simply drop the price of gas to the point that hydrogen fuel companies will go out of business. They will then raise the price of gasoline once again.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8339 Jan 25, 2014
The cleanest solution for the near future is pure electric cars charged by solar. Batteries are dirty to produce, but they last for well over 200,00 miles. At that time, they will have 75% of their charge remaining.

Companies are already in line to buy the old batteries to use in battery storage back up systems for areas that are prone to outages. 3 old Volt batteries can power 5 homes for a few hours.

After these batteries are spent, many years later, recycling companies will actually pay for them because their contents are much too valuable to discard.

Some analysts state that these batteries could be in use for well over 30 years before being 100% recycled. Although they are dirty to produce, if charged by solar from day one, they would be the cleanest solution, bar none.

As for efficiency, fuel cell cars have a long road ahead of them to match a pure electric powered by an owners solar system that will pay for itself in 10 years. This allows the owner to drive an electric car for free for another 10 years. Once again, that is 10 years of free "fuel", as apposed to visiting a hydrogen fuel station every 300 miles or so.

Electric motors will be the last component to wear out. Hydroelectric plants rebuild their turbines about every 40 years after constant, non-stop use. However, they are rebuilt mainly to gain efficiency, using new technology. Not because they are too old to use.

As stated above, batteries will be the second longest lasting component. Cab companies using plug-ins have to replace their cars because the mechanical components of the cars wear out, not the motors nor the batteries. Usually after 250,000 miles.

Solar is the future despite what nay sayers claim. Fact, one hour of sunlight can power every building in the world for one year!

Efficiency and storage are quickly being advanced. Many analysts say that solar is a multi-trillion dollar business waiting to happen and that the Chinese will be, once again, in control of what we need. Some things never seem to change.

Many hate subsidies for the obvious future while ignoring the subsidies given to the fossils of the world. It's called greasing the pockets.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8340 Jan 25, 2014
Solar power fact.

From the link:

"The amount of energy from the sun that falls on Earth's surface is enormous. All the energy stored in Earth's reserves of coal, oil, and natural gas is matched by the energy from just 20 days of sunshine. Outside Earth's atmosphere, the sun's energy contains about 1,300 watts per square meter. About one-third of this light is reflected back into space, and some is absorbed by the atmosphere (in part causing winds to blow)."

http://solar.gwu.edu/FAQ/solar_potential.html
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8341 Jan 25, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure you're not taking your response lessons from the Volt Lover?
Just about the same level of hysterical/irrational defensiveness in your sentiments.
Blaming yours truly for the vulgar and offensive posts you and your cloned perverts use?
Blaming yours truly for the hateful and vitriolic rants by the Volt Lover?
My friend, you need to learn one very basic truth, and that is, nobody--but nobody--forces one to act like that.
Conduct at such a ridiculously childish level comes from within, not without.
FYI, none of those pathetic actions bothers me much--i simply marvel at it as an example of how immaturely some people allow themselves to act in a public forum.(And then blame others for their actions!)
And if you feel obliged to call what I do "propaganda", then fill your boots.
Doesn't worry me in the least.
(You and the Volt Lover do a pretty good job of doing much of the same, with a few exceptions--I do it better, more civilly, and objectively)
I'll make this quick as not to confuse the propagandist troll.

In order

No
Goofy
Yes
Yes/Goofy
Laughable
True
Could care less
Propaganda defined for you yesterday. The shoe fits, propagandist.
Hope not
Lie

Volt is the top dog.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8342 Jan 25, 2014
To the Volt Lover and Root.

Two observations..

(1) LMV goes bonkers again in his hateful and vitriolic responses (one is never enough!)
And he complains about "hate".
Such hypocrisy.!!

(2) Root complains vociferously about "negative" posts, and then posts really nasty stuff in 8341 above. Nice!!
Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk.

Are we talkin' a double standard here, or what?

Or maybe a feeble attempt at censorship?

How about just flat can't handle pushback of any sort?
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8343 Jan 25, 2014
Ode To Electric Vehicles.

A sign on the side of the highway
Provoked my eyes to pop,
ĎCause what it said was "no EVs here",
"So kindly do not stop.Ē

Of course, we kept on driving
But man, it made me wink
And wonder just how many times
These signs make us think.

Envision those EV Owners
In a car out of juice
Just lurking on the roadside
In a car that's of no use.

We wonder about this event
And what it means of course
Then why post a dire warning
To the hordes of passing cars?

Itís a puzzle so perplexing
Who knows what itís all about,
But Iím sure many drivers question
Why EVs were ever brought out.
Dr Sigmund Fraud

Trumbull, CT

#8344 Jan 25, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
To the Volt Lover and Root.
(1) LMV goes bonkers again in his hateful and vitriolic responses (one is never enough!)
And he complains about "hate".
Such hypocrisy.!!
Volt lover obsession is approaching the clinical stage! Drugs may help, but I'm afraid since LMV is such a miser, we're talking a state mental institution.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8345 Jan 25, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text>I'll make this quick as not to confuse the propagandist troll.
In order
No
Goofy
Yes
Yes/Goofy
Laughable
True
Could care less
Propaganda defined for you yesterday. The shoe fits, propagandist.
Hope not
Lie
Volt is the top dog.
I like what poo-man-2 said about the Volt being a commuter car only. Of course, he will state that he said "not everybody wants a commuter car."

I'm going to have to get on the GM forums I visit and tell all those folks that go on vacations in their Volt that they had better stop. And to think of those owners that drive their Volt's on the week-end!!! And to be caught in a Volt after commuter hours. Oh the horror!!!

And to think, all those GM engineers who lied to us and never told us that the Volt was only a commuter car.

Our resident car guru has declared the Volt a commuter car and that is the final word.

So everybody else's opinion sucks.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8346 Jan 25, 2014
Dr Sigmund Fraud wrote:
<quoted text>
Volt lover obsession is approaching the clinical stage! Drugs may help, but I'm afraid since LMV is such a miser, we're talking a state mental institution.
You have me there. I payed bi-weekly payments on this house and payed an extra payment here and there and shaved 13 years off the mortgage.

I saved almost 40% in interest payments. On a loan taken out on this house today, the monthly payments would be $3,785.$45,420 per year.

Shaving off 13 years would mean saving $591,000.

You bet I'm a miser. I saved the equivalent of almost $600,000 by being a miser. How do you think I bought a brand new Caddy before I turned 30?

OK .... enjoy making out your rent checks.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8348 Jan 25, 2014
And what does poo-man-2 mean that the Volt is far too limited in its' use? That one has me stumped.

Does he mean you can't go 4 wheelin'? Or maybe you can't go underwater. Or maybe you can't fly with it.

Please poo-man, please explain. What is meant by "far too limited"? Because I've owned mine for over two years and I can't seem to find anything.

Please enlighten me.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8350 Jan 25, 2014
"-significant advances in conventional fuel economies"

I won't even spend too much time on that one. Gas has to come down to $2.40 for me to be at the 100 mpg number.

Next subject.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help with 2002 Honda Odyssey radio code (Oct '07) Thu Foortay 83
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) Wed Tom 19
News Jeep Trailcat Is the 707-hp Hellcat-Powered Wra... (Mar '16) Tue Wheels 7
Xhorse the best vvdi2 bmw Apr 25 Ambrosio 3
Where to buy VVDI 2, VVDI PROG programmer? (Oct '15) Apr 24 Ambrosio 5
OPCOM firmware 1.65 1.70 download: VAUX-COM 120... Apr 24 lalaura 4
OP-COM 2012V/ VAUX-COM 120309a Free Download (Oct '15) Apr 24 lalaura 29
More from around the web