Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Root

Shreveport, LA

#8092 Jan 3, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Ford's Solar Concept Car, to be premiered next month....at Las Vegas Auto Show.......
Looking forward to seeing it.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8093 Jan 3, 2014
Root wrote:
Absolutely, still again you fail to make the proper corrections to your behavior and launch the typical plays from the liberal organizing playbook. Did you know Volt is the sales champion again?
So you deny your misdeeds Root??
So much for your integrity. Shame!

Oh yes--Volt is the sales leader for2013---but---
You fail to acknowledge that Volt leads by a mere 400 units over Leaf for the year.
And that Leaf outsold Volt by a long way in December.
Or that Volt sales are in serious decline over 2012.
Or that Leaf sales are booming--and Leaf is the new guy on the block, only on the market for 18 months.

Could it be said that the Volt fad has run its course?
Volt was the first, but may not be the best over the long haul.
Competition is a major threat now.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8094 Jan 3, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
So you deny your misdeeds Root??
So much for your integrity. Shame!
Oh yes--Volt is the sales leader for2013---but---
You fail to acknowledge that Volt leads by a mere 400 units over Leaf for the year.
And that Leaf outsold Volt by a long way in December.
Or that Volt sales are in serious decline over 2012.
Or that Leaf sales are booming--and Leaf is the new guy on the block, only on the market for 18 months.
Could it be said that the Volt fad has run its course?
Volt was the first, but may not be the best over the long haul.
Competition is a major threat now.
I was pulling for the Leaf. Volt is at the end of its first gen run.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8095 Jan 3, 2014
Root wrote:
<quoted text>I was pulling for the Leaf. Volt is at the end of its first gen run.
One side of your face might have been pulling for Leaf.
We know where the other side was pulling.
But you're in denial on that side.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8096 Jan 3, 2014
I would rather not tax your intellectual ability further. Just go to bed. Volt is number one again. 242K thousand Pri were recalled.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8097 Jan 3, 2014
Root wrote:
I would rather not tax your intellectual ability further. Just go to bed. Volt is number one again. 242K thousand Pri were recalled.
You just "deked".
In hockey, your post would be called a "deke".
Kinda like "duck outa the way"!
Used to avoid a painful body check.
A cowardly move.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8098 Jan 3, 2014
Just go to bed and dream about prop planes lol. You can't hold a good Volt down. night night
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8099 Jan 3, 2014
Ultra Limited Use Vehicle wrote:
Just got back from a trip around New England, didn't see any Volts; I wonder why?
Awesome!!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8100 Jan 3, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Luvvy--you really shouldn't get too smug and get all puffed up with self adulation before checking your so called "facts".
Not only that, you shouldn't be using those same so called "facts" by trolling for more action to accompany your smug fantasies like you just did.
You quoted me as saying things about Volt, when in fact the comment you got all humpy backed about was by a media journalist back in 2011.
Quote-- "In addition, the Volt is a bizarre and costly cross between a hybrid and an EV. That product is three cars in one. It has not only all of the hardware and software necessary to allow it to function as a hybrid, but all of the hardware and software to allow it to function as an EV, and as a conventional, gasoline powered vehicle. That’s right: GM has designed a vehicle with three times the complexity and repair cost of a conventional vehicle costing only half as much. Who could possibly resist that siren song?"
Sorry to hit you with the truth little man, but this is just another example of how you let your crankiness take over and you end up looking like a fool again.
Next time, perhaps you'd be wise to adopt a bit of "silence" yourself?
A media journalist. Oh ... OK ... back in 2011 .... so it was the media journalist that made you say something stupid. Man ... the world renowned automotive engineer group, the SAE, BMW's brilliant engineers and the European automotive community are all wrong and your little "journalist" is right. The Volt isn't a series hybrid. It's 3 cars in one. Some media journalist says so. And the poo poo believes it.

You still think you're right. Pathetic. Clinging to a falsehood in the light of truth is kind of lame. I'm not going to adopt any silence. Especially when you said

"LuvmyVolt insists I have "stated" Volt is three cars in one--electric, hybrid, and gasoline.
Where Luvvy got that is beyond me.
Because I have never "stated" anything remotely akin to something like that.

This from someone you claims to never have been mistaken??

If you ask me, it seems Luvvy has a propensity to make things up."

Post 8039, page 371.

So which is it, oh mighty "never tell a lie" master? Is it that you never said it, or is it that you said it but you were quoting "some media journalist"?

And I'm sure that the media journalist will remain unnamed .... eh?

If you are telling the truth and you just quoted some lame brain, that's what you get for trolling hater web sites. They always tell lies over there. Just cuz some "media journalist" said it, it doesn't make it true.

In fact, you never read it anywhere. Post a link and prove me wrong. You made that up. Then you denied you even said it. Now you admit you said it but you are quoting some "media journalist".

Dude ... what's that old saying? Tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember. You have now backtracked twice. I would suggest that you drop this now because it's really getting ugly.

Funny ... but ugly.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8101 Jan 3, 2014
I think the Leaf is a pretty good car. It is less expensive because they didn't bother building in systems that protect the battery. The owner is required to monitor the charging system.

From a Leaf forum:

"Info on charging in LEAF Owner's Manual: "Overview" / "Efficient use of your vehicle" / "Li-ion battery life" section.

Nissan recommends:

Only charging to 80% in order to maximize battery life:

"Long life mode

NISSAN recommends charging the Li-ion battery using the long life mode to help maximize the Li-ion battery useful life. Long life mode can only be set using the charging timer function. The long life mode is set by changing the [% Charge] to [80% Charge (Improves Battery Longevity)] using the following procedure." [7]

Furthermore, the LEAF's warranty includes an exclusion regarding Li-Ion battery being charged full on a daily basis "despite the lithium-ion battery keeping a high state of charge level (98-100%)." [8]

Allow the battery charge to be below at least 80% before charging.
Avoid leaving vehicle for over 14 days where the battery charge state is zero or near zero.

Allow the vehicle and Li-ion battery to cool down after use before charging.
If vehicle will not be used for long period of time, NISSAN recommends charging with "long life mode" (charging only to 80%, see above) and to charge once every 3 months [9]

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php...

The Volt charging system never lets you charge fully nor discharge fully. It is also a liquid cooled system. While charging, the system will either cool down the battery with fans or heat up the battery with it's heating system.

All automatic.

This is just one area that Leaf owner must be aware of. Most Leaf owners don't read their manuals and charge as soon as they can. Per their manual, they are supposed to let the batter cool sufficiently.

The Volt can be charged at any time, for as long as you wish, or not. You can go months without charging the Volt's battery because while driving in gas mode, the generator is always charging the battery to a state that the car can be driven. So, the battery is always being charged and drained. It is never idle.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#8103 Jan 3, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a guy that invented an electric car that didn't need a battery. The government killed him. Note the comments. Nobody believes that bs story either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jeKnDxWRHYIXX
I have a bridge for sale. Most people don't realize that I hold the title to the Golden Gate Bridge. But I do. I bought it for a quarter million plus from a mechanic that invented a V8 that got 60 mpg, back in the 80's.
Oh, and by the way, I can take any V8 and put it on a child's wagon and get 150 mpg. It's still a gas hog.
Are you from Canada?
The states my man.

Location hidden

#8104 Jan 3, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
And by the way ... I'm averaging 134 mpg. not only is 60 mpg useless, it's laughable.
It was a gas only engine. I wouldn't be complaining about a 60 mpg v8 on pure gas. Whatsoever.

Location hidden

#8105 Jan 3, 2014
Go vote for Obama with your 95-96 IQ pleb. I have no further interest speaking with you. You are obviously too stupid to realize even your own stupidity. That being said. Night night.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#8106 Jan 4, 2014
Boosted_RB25 wrote:
Go vote for Obama with your 95-96 IQ pleb. I have no further interest speaking with you. You are obviously too stupid to realize even your own stupidity. That being said. Night night.
My investment portfolio is up 67 percent, since President Obama took office.....try to educate yourself on our RECOVERED ECONOMY, before you embarrass yourself further.......
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8107 Jan 4, 2014
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
A media journalist.
And I'm sure that the media journalist will remain unnamed .... eh?
In fact, you never read it anywhere. Post a link and prove me wrong. You made that up.
Dude ... what's that old saying? Tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember..
Prepare to eat your words Luvvy.
The link you so passionately deny exists is as follows...

http://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpress.com/cat...

Take your time and read it over carefully.
You'll find the quote I posted, and much more.
And just to make life interesting for you, I'll post a few interesting excerpts when I get time.

Some advice...
You need to settle down and stop losing it every time someone posts something you don't like.
After all, it's only a third rate forum on the internet, where there are less than a half dozen people looking in.
You treat it like it was a matter of life and death---all that's gonna get you is higher blood pressure,.
And from the looks of your constant rants, your blood pressure red lined a long time ago.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8108 Jan 4, 2014
Hey Luvvy:

Here's an interesting excerpt from that link you deny exists.
(It kinda debunks all your hoopla about lithium ion batteries being the way of the future)

"Energy Secretary Steven Chu, he of the Nobel Prize in physics, epitomized the regnant blend of sanctimony and technocratic hubris. He told journalist Michael Grunwald that photosynthesis is ‘too damn inefficient,’ and that DOE might help correct that particular error of evolution.

The department has recently backed away from the million-car target, in favor of reducing battery costs to $300 per kilowatt hour by 2015 (from $650 today). Even this seems dubious, given the APS symposium’s view that ‘only incremental improvements can be expected’ in lithium-ion batteries.”
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8109 Jan 4, 2014
Hey Luvvy---here's another quote from that link you deny exists...

"The Energy Department study assumed that General Motors would produce 120,000 plug-in hybrid Volts in 2012. GM never came close to that and recently suspended Volt production at its Hamtramck, Mich., plant, scene of a presidential photo-op. So far, GM has sold a little more than 21,000 Volts, even with the help of a $7,500 tax credit, recent dealer discounting and U.S. government purchases. When you factor in the $1.2&#8201;billion cost of developing the Volt, GM loses tens of thousands of dollars on each model.”
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8110 Jan 4, 2014
I'm happy that Volt is number one again.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8111 Jan 4, 2014
Hey Luvvy---try this one on for size---it says it all quite succinctly

“No matter how you slice it, the American taxpayer has gotten precious little for the administration’s investment in battery-powered vehicles, in terms of permanent jobs or lower carbon dioxide emissions. There is no market, or not much of one, for vehicles that are less convenient and cost thousands of dollars more than similar-sized gas-powered alternatives — but do not save enough fuel to compensate. The basic theory of the push for electric vehicles — if you build them, customers will come — was a myth. And an expensive one, at that.”

I can post more for you Luvvy, but right now I've got a plane to catch.
Bye Now.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8112 Jan 4, 2014
Leagle Beagle wrote:
Hey Luvvy---here's another quote from that link you deny exists...
"The Energy Department study assumed that General Motors would produce 120,000 plug-in hybrid Volts in 2012. GM never came close to that and recently suspended Volt production at its Hamtramck, Mich., plant, scene of a presidential photo-op. So far, GM has sold a little more than 21,000 Volts, even with the help of a $7,500 tax credit, recent dealer discounting and U.S. government purchases. When you factor in the $1.2&#8201;billion cost of developing the Volt, GM loses tens of thousands of dollars on each model.”
Looks like you got busted posting unprecedented doo doo again. I taught you not to believe everything you read on the internet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is the most reliable engine ever made? (Aug '08) 23 hr Retired Master Tech 218
More toyota Junk (Jun '07) Jan 12 Canada Rocks 338
Lonsdor K518ise key programmer Free update – Fiat Jan 11 lanny717 1
News Tony Stewart's Having A Rough Few Weeks Jan 11 AgreePhart 124
News The 2018 Mazda 3 May Have The Best No-Bullshit ... Jan 11 Autoboner 2
VVDI2 Full version and SMOK which is better Jan 10 Ambrosio 1
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) Jan 10 jimmyLIN 22
More from around the web