Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8000 Dec 29, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Anyway ... my sons' got together and bought me some Weathertech floor mats for Christmas for my Volt. My oldest son had purchased some for his Volt.
I never thought I'd like a rubber type mat, but I have to say, I love these. They fit so precisely, it's unreal.
The beauty of the mats is that they are in the form of a pan. You take them out and wash them off.
Vacuuming is almost entirely a thing of the past now. All the dirt, etc. stays in the floor mat because it is a pan. The pic in this link shows a light tan color which I picked to show what they look like. These are for a different car.
Mine are black. Love this product.
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Floor-Ma...
Sold them for years.
They're plastic, not rubber.
They do a decent job but overpriced and not always a perfect fit.
A product called "Huskyliner" is much better.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8001 Dec 29, 2013
Did Luvvy make a mistake when claiming that Volt is "always" electric drive??(Luvvy claims he never never never ever makes mistakes)

Here's the reality.......
The Volt’s original promise was to be a full EV drive with gasoline generator backup.

In practice, this design did not work in all scenarios – such as a long mountain incline – where the generator could not provide enough power to keep the vehicle moving under EV power.

In scenarios like this, the Volt brings gasoline power directly to the wheels via a multi-mode electric transaxle driving the front wheels.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8004 Dec 29, 2013
The Leagle Beagle "imposter" who claims to be from Toronto, is up to his usual spoofing charades again.
This bozo goes to extraordinary lengths to act stupid!!
Leagle Beagle

Toronto, Canada

#8005 Dec 29, 2013
The Leagle Beagle "imposter" who claims to be from Windsor, is up to his usual spoofing charades again.
This bozo goes to extraordinary lengths to act stupid!!

But I like the Volt.

Toodles

Leagle Beagle
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8006 Dec 29, 2013
This applies to all EVs...

Info about batteries in used electric vehicles:

Heat is harder on the longevity of a battery than cold - something to consider when buying a used electric vehicle in Phoenix, Ariz., vs. Portland, Maine.
For example the battery in the Chevrolet Volt has an 8 to 10-year shelf life, but that doesn't mean it's going to fail on its 8th anniversary.
That battery will lose capacity as it ages; and, both age and the number of cycles the battery are put through make a big difference.
It could last 10 years, or it might fail at 6 years depending on how its been used.
Just because a used electric vehicle has low mileage doesn't mean the battery is going to last longer.
Buyer beware.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8007 Dec 29, 2013
Quote from Kelly Blue Book about resale values for Volt...

"December 2013:
As with the Nissan Leaf EV, it's difficult to assess how well the Volt will retain its value over time, although we expect the 2013 Chevrolet Volt to remain on par with the Leaf, but far below the values for the Toyota Prius and VW Golf TDI."
Leagle Beagle

Toronto, Canada

#8008 Dec 29, 2013
But I love the Volt. I might be a homoexual Canadian man but my heart tells me Volt is the best option.

Toodles

Leagle Beagle
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8009 Dec 29, 2013
Ultra Limted Use Vehicle wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your family also have clear plastic furniture slip covers and rug runners?
How did you know? Wow. You can see me ... right?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8010 Dec 29, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
Did Luvvy make a mistake when claiming that Volt is "always" electric drive??(Luvvy claims he never never never ever makes mistakes)
Here's the reality.......
The Volt’s original promise was to be a full EV drive with gasoline generator backup.
In practice, this design did not work in all scenarios – such as a long mountain incline – where the generator could not provide enough power to keep the vehicle moving under EV power.
In scenarios like this, the Volt brings gasoline power directly to the wheels via a multi-mode electric transaxle driving the front wheels.
You don't even know what mountain mode is. In mountain mode, the generator runs faster than normal so that a buffer can be built back into the battery pack. You turn on mountain mode about 15 minutes before entering the mountains.

The generator is never connected to the front wheels. It is clutched to the small electric motor, which is then clutched to the ring gear of the planetary.

The ring gear spins the planetary gears which in turn spin the outside of the big electric motor, which is the only link to the wheels. Only one link!

Here's a little lesson in electric motor operation. Normally there is only one moving part, the rotor. In the case of the Volt, the generator clutched to the ring gear helps the planetary gears spin the stator.

Amazing ... eh? I bet you don't even wonder why GM did this. Right? Because when you spin a stator one way 1000 cycles per minute and you spin the rotor the other way 1000 cycles per minute, you get 2000 cycles per minute using half the energy. Hello. This is called efficiency. And this is 100 year old technology.

Here, Mr. Science guy. Watch this video again. I already showed you this. Apparently you don't want to learn because it's more convenient.

The very nature of a series hybrid is that only one mode of power is hooked to the wheels. The other modes, and there can be many, are all in line behind that primary mode.

The fact that the generator is clutched to the small e motor which is then clutched to the ring gear does not connect the generator directly to the wheels. There is no transmission. The trans axle they speak of is the planetary .... you loon.

It is in line. The article you refer to has been poo poo'd by all the GM engineers who are always having to answer to numb nuts like them and you.

There are plenty of hater sites that claim the Volt is a parallel because the generator assists via a clutch, but they ... like you ... don't know what the definition of a series hybrid is.

Here ... watch this video. Chevy's Chief Engineer for global Voltec and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles, Pamela Fletcher, explains how the Volt works. There is only a planetary. The fact that it is electrical is because it is driven by the big electric motor.

I'm pretty sure that Pamela Fletcher knows a little bit more about the Volt planetary than the person who wrote the article you hang all of your hopes on. He probably read a couple of articles and decided that he was an expert. Your expert.

Of course, I know you are not going to watch this video, because it doesn't fit the lie you want to believe.

Once again, the multi-mode electric trans axle is the planetary. Sheeeeeeesh. Look at her diagrams. You will never see anything but the big E motor. The generator spins the stator. Not the wheels. Wow!

At 7 minutes, shes states that the generator is clutched to the ring gear. She then states ... and listen up or you will not learn anything here ....

"AT THE SAME TIME, WE CAN PROVIDE POWER THROUGH THE TRACTION MOTOR TO THE OUTPUT OF THE PLANETARY."

The output of the planetary is the wheels via a single speed gear box.

Is all of this too much for you? You should study up before you post. If you had, you would have known that the multi-mode electric trans axle is the planetary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8011 Dec 29, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
This applies to all EVs...
Info about batteries in used electric vehicles:
Heat is harder on the longevity of a battery than cold - something to consider when buying a used electric vehicle in Phoenix, Ariz., vs. Portland, Maine.
For example the battery in the Chevrolet Volt has an 8 to 10-year shelf life, but that doesn't mean it's going to fail on its 8th anniversary.
That battery will lose capacity as it ages; and, both age and the number of cycles the battery are put through make a big difference.
It could last 10 years, or it might fail at 6 years depending on how its been used.
Just because a used electric vehicle has low mileage doesn't mean the battery is going to last longer.
Buyer beware.
Hey hater. I already got you to admit that all that you know about the battery pack is just your opinion. Which means squat. You aren't a battery expert.

Go to page 323, post 7039. I quote you: "That was an opinion, my opinion. Something wrong with that?" Then you go on to accuse me of making presumptuous remarks. Never has happened on this forum. You have never caught me in a lie or being wrong.

The Volt is the only electric on the market with a percentage guarantee in its' warranty. If the battery goes under more than 25% before 8 years, they will replace it. They aren't talking about total failure. Wow.

Before a battery fails totally, it will be well under 75% and GM would have replaced it by then. And I already tried to teach you about the Volt's heating and cooling system for the battery extends the life of the battery longer than electrics without a system, which is most of them. Here is another lesson.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20010937...

You're an idiot. There are plenty of electrics around that have put on more than 300,000 miles on their battery packs. I have provided you links to this fact time and time again, and you still ignore.

The Volt's pack is rated at 5,000 full charge cycles. That is more than 200,000 miles. That means that the Volt should have at least 75% of it's original charge by the time it reaches 200,000 miles.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20010937...

What makes you hate these cars so much that you need to sling poo? Try being right once in a while. Talk about being presumptuous.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8012 Dec 29, 2013
Hey hater ... aka poo poo. You call me arrogant. Well .... when it comes to people like you, it's not hard. Every time you try to say something about the Volt, you are so totally wrong because your hatred allows you to find crap that is written on hater sites or sites that aren't knowledgeable.

Here ... here are a few links for you to prove to you that the Volt is ALWAYS driven by the big traction motor. But I know you won't read any of them. In your case, ignorance is bliss.

From the link:

"The power from that generator keeps the batteries in the sweet spot of their charge profile to effectively extend the Volt’s range, says GM, by about 300 miles beyond the batteries’ 40-ish-mile limitation. The Volt is always propelled by its 149-hp electric motor; it’s only the source of the juice that varies."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-chev...

Once again:

"THE VOLT IS ALWAYS PROPELLED BY ITS' 149-HP ELECTRIC MOTOR; IT'S ONLY THE SOURCE OF THE JUICE THAT VARIES."

From the link:

" It's an electric car with a gas-powered generator for backup. " and "and the gas engine will start. Here, the gas engine drives the small electric motor, using it to generate electricity (an electric motor run backward is a generator) to sustain the battery's charge."

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-12/de...

From the link:

"The simple answer is that the Volt always runs on electricity. It's just a matter of where that electricity is coming from. It's either coming from from battery source or from the engine generator."

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/2...

From the link:

"Think of the Volt's small gas engine as an electricity producer or a range extender, as GM calls it. When it runs, the gas engine turns a generator that recharges the battery pack. But the electric drive motor is always moving the car regardless of whether the engine is running."

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.c...

Did you get that?

"But the electric drive motor is always moving the car regardless of whether the engine is running."

From the link:

"It's electric-powered, but it carries its own gas-powered generator so when it runs out of juice it can continue for hundreds of miles. It won't leave you on the side of the road, wishing for an extension cord."

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/expert-reviews/201...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8013 Dec 29, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
Quote from Kelly Blue Book about resale values for Volt...
"December 2013:
As with the Nissan Leaf EV, it's difficult to assess how well the Volt will retain its value over time, although we expect the 2013 Chevrolet Volt to remain on par with the Leaf, but far below the values for the Toyota Prius and VW Golf TDI."
Guess you forgot this.

A competition that was totally geared against the Volt. The Volt still kicked the TDI's butt. They ran more than 800 miles in almost all gas mode.

Had they driven the normal way people drive every day, the Volt would have beaten the TDI's mpg by more than 100 mpg.

But once again, even in this lop sided test, the Volt won.

So, what good is it that you can get $3,000 more in trade in for a car when you spent $8,000 more in gas with that car?

Holy cow. Oh I'm sorry .... you are just being fair and balanced.

Keep it up though, I love rubbing it in your face.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8014 Dec 30, 2013
To LuvmyVolt....

You still haven't answered this question:

Do you always go completely bananas like you do here whenever someone disagrees with you, or when someone points out that you've made a mistake, or if someone offers an opinion you don't like?
If so, the it's you who has a problem, not the other guy.

PS
You really need to learn this is just a hokey internet forum, and its importance doesn't amount to spit.
It's just the internet--why do you get so emotional over such little consequence?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8015 Dec 30, 2013
The hater never has really understood how the Volt works.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8016 Dec 30, 2013
Root wrote:
The hater never has really understood how the Volt works.
Don't be too sure about that Root.
Ever think maybe what I'm doing is just a test?
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8017 Dec 30, 2013
Besides, it's kinda interesting to watch you and Luvvy go bananas when I post.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8018 Dec 30, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep it up though, I love rubbing it in your face.
Comments like that speak very loudly about his character!!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8019 Dec 30, 2013
Na, you don't know how the Volt works. Besides, when you get put in your place, if you knew how it worked you wouldn't follow up with three off topic posts trying to attack people. It's just your style (or lack of it).

I'm still wondering if Nissan will sell more Leaves than GM sells Volts this year. It's a tight race.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#8020 Dec 30, 2013
Root wrote:
Na, you don't know how the Volt works. Besides, when you get put in your place, if you knew how it worked you wouldn't follow up with three off topic posts trying to attack people. It's just your style (or lack of it).
I'm still wondering if Nissan will sell more Leaves than GM sells Volts this year. It's a tight race.
I guess "my place" will just have to continue to be "devil's advocate".
It helps to have someone around to fill that role.
Keeps certain folks honest.

PS.
The Volt really isn't all that complicated.
It's just that some folks try hard to make it look that way.
Those same folks also tend to flaunt what little knowledge they really have.
And they go bananas when tested.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#8021 Dec 30, 2013
Umm hmm, kind of like that time I had to go back and forth to teach you what an egr valve was. You don't like the Volt and you are easily confused by it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AUTOPHIX OM123 OBDII EOBD CAN code reader read ... 11 hr car-diagnostic-tool 1
OBDSTAR F102 Nissan Pin Code Reader Key Program... 14 hr Spencer5 5
Foxwell NT510 has good success with BMW multisy... 19 hr lalaura 1
VAG CAN PRO VCP V5.5.1 Clone less than 50$ 19 hr lalaura 3
The Newest Version V4.3 SuperOBD SKP-900 car ke... Mon auto engineer 2
SKP-900 V4.2 Update information (will release s... Sun shawnbem 2
Volvo Vcads 88890180 PTT software Free download (Jan '16) Aug 21 cadsara 18
More from around the web