Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11345 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7829 Dec 16, 2013
Here is a Canadian Volt forum. Nice to see that there are Canadians that love the Volt. They love it because they have ACTUALLY driven it.

First owner posted:

"The car is a heavy front wheel drive car so it does well in the snow. The stock tires are slick but with snow tires the Volt could take on a snow plow. The car does have a low ground clearance and I have pushed myself through snow with the bottom of the car rubbing in the snow but I have had no issues."

Second poster:

"I live in south western Ontario and after one winter I found that the volt was as good as any other FWD in the winter."

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php...

What the poo forgets is that there are plenty of smaller, family cars that are 4 wheel drive. They just don't sell that well up in Alaska. Wonder why?

In post 7798, the dolt calls the Volt a load implying that the car can't handle snow. The poo knows that the Volt handles well in the snow because this was discussed long ago. He didn't say a word.

The subject is handling in the snow. At least there are Canadians who have actually driven the Volt in the snow. They attest to the reasons why the Volt handles great in the snow. It is heavy and it is front wheel drive.

OK ... one more car fact post for me.

Me: 16 EV, hybrid related posts in last 6 pages.
Poo: 0

15,000 miles on 30 gallons of gas. 2.4 cents per mile charging costs. 100 mpg when gas is at $2.40.
ObsessedwithmyVo lt

Trumbull, CT

#7830 Dec 16, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Here is a Canadian Volt forum. Nice to see that there are Canadians that love the Volt. They love it because they have ACTUALLY driven it.
First owner posted:
"The car is a heavy front wheel drive car so it does well in the snow. The stock tires are slick but with snow tires the Volt could take on a snow plow. The car does have a low ground clearance and I have pushed myself through snow with the bottom of the car rubbing in the snow but I have had no issues."
Second poster:
"I live in south western Ontario and after one winter I found that the volt was as good as any other FWD in the winter."
What the poo forgets is that there are plenty of smaller, family cars that are 4 wheel drive. They just don't sell that well up in Alaska. Wonder why?
In post 7798, the dolt calls the Volt a load implying that the car can't handle snow. The poo knows that the Volt handles well in the snow because this was discussed long ago. He didn't say a word.
The subject is handling in the snow. At least there are Canadians who have actually driven the Volt in the snow. They attest to the reasons why the Volt handles great in the snow. It is heavy and it is front wheel drive.
OK ... one more car fact post for me.
Me: 16 EV, hybrid related posts in last 6 pages.
Poo: 0
15,000 miles on 30 gallons of gas. 2.4 cents per mile charging costs. 100 mpg when gas is at $2.40.
What A Bunch Of Hooey! Do you notice that most Volt owners are full of $#!+. They just can't bare to admit the Volt is pretty much an extremely limited use vehicle, so they embellish and lie! We all know that load isn't any good in the snow. The Volt a snow car, LOL!
Real Leagle Beagle

Canada

#7831 Dec 16, 2013
Nobody drives little cars in Alaska you idiot. Alaska is a man country and they drive man sized trucks and SUV.
I am the real Leagle Beagle and I know what it is like in Alaska and you dont have a clue.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7832 Dec 16, 2013
Andy would be disappointed.
Real Leagle Beagle

Canada

#7833 Dec 16, 2013
Sorry.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7834 Dec 16, 2013
Fair enough
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7835 Dec 16, 2013
ObsessedwithmyVo lt wrote:
<quoted text>
What A Bunch Of Hooey! Do you notice that most Volt owners are full of $#!+. They just can't bare to admit the Volt is pretty much an extremely limited use vehicle, so they embellish and lie! We all know that load isn't any good in the snow. The Volt a snow car, LOL!
Hooey????? Just about fell off my chair. Hooey!!! You are good for a laugh, though, so keep it up. There are those of us who appreciate you.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7836 Dec 16, 2013
Very interesting article on hydraulic hybrids. They have been in use in big delivery trucks for quite some time. UPS uses quite a few of them. There are also parallel and series hybrids within the hydraulic world. In the city, hydraulic hybrids are much more efficient than electric hybrids.

The biggest advantage is that there are no batteries so no need to plug in. The biggest disadvantage is that they must be used mainly for city driving as the hydraulic hybrid system can't work on the freeway.

A UPS hydraulic hybrid truck can save the company $50,000 over it's life span.

From the link:

"flying down the highway, a hydraulic hybrid isn't much different than a regular car. But in traffic, particularly stop and go traffic, a series hydraulic hybrid can shut its engine off and use hydraulic power alone. Stopping and starting is the key to saving fuel with a hydraulic hybrid."

"A gas/electric hybrid recovers 30 percent of braking energy, while a hydraulic hybrid can recover 70 percent, contributing to better efficiency"

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hydraulic-hybri...

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7837 Dec 16, 2013
Guess this guy doesn't know that the Volt is a limited use car.

Oh ... I know. This is all photo shopped because we all know that Volt owners are all liars. They hate their cars but can't admit that they screwed up.

Just like me. I hate my Volt. especially because I can't visit the gas stations any more. I loved those places. The smell of the gas fumes and the inevitable driver that comes into the line backwards.

Stupid Volt.

analretentivevol towner

Florham Park, NJ

#7838 Dec 17, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Guess this guy doesn't know that the Volt is a limited use car.
Oh ... I know. This is all photo shopped because we all know that Volt owners are all liars. They hate their cars but can't admit that they screwed up.
Just like me. I hate my Volt. especially because I can't visit the gas stations any more. I loved those places. The smell of the gas fumes and the inevitable driver that comes into the line backwards.
Stupid Volt.
The Volt a tow car? LMAO, thats funnier than the Volt winter car lie.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7839 Dec 17, 2013
It's now official. The prius is the most traded car for a Volt.
obsessedwithiluv myVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7840 Dec 17, 2013
I wish I could get these numbers

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7841 Dec 17, 2013
Root wrote:
It's now official. The prius is the most traded car for a Volt.
Speaking of which, here are a bunch of Volt owners giving a Prius owner assurances that his switching to a Volt will not mean that going up to the mountains will be a bummer.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-...

I like this guy. Uses 1 gallon of gas for a 72 mile round trip while climbing up a grade for 2,500 feet. He hits 85 mph going up the grade.

"I live in the Durango and drive to Purgatory several times a week. It is 72 miles round-trip. My starting elevation is 7400 feet, which drops to 6500 feet, and then goes up to 9000 feet. I use mountain mode going up and keep it in mountain mode coming down until I am about 20 miles from my home, where I switch it to normal to ensure that I use up all of the available battery power. I use D going up the mountain and L coming down. The entire trip consumes 1 gallon of gasoline. There is always adequate power available. I usually set the cruise at 65 but on occasion and just for grins, I hit 85 going up the grade."

Here is another owners experience in his drive from Denver to Winter Park, CO. An elevation change of over 5,000 feet. He uses 3 gallons of gas for the entire round trip!!

"I live in Denver and just went to Winter Park; about 130 miles round trip. I used less than 3 gallons of gas and had no trouble on the uphill to Berthoud Pass nor going uphill on the pass from either side. What I've found works the best in the hills is to switch to Mountain mode at around 10 miles of electrical remaining and the gas mode kicks in. The downhills recharge so that I can then switch back to electric for a while. On the return once I made it down the pass, it was home free on electric the rest of the downhill ride to Denver."

That is the beauty of these types of cars. Coming down a steep grade recharges the battery. If the grade is long enough, the battery will actually charge to full, giving the driver 40 + miles of free driving. It more than makes up for the extra power/gas used to go up the mountain. A gas car, while coming down a grade still uses gas, albeit not much, but the electric car is creating fuel.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7842 Dec 17, 2013
analretentivevoltowner wrote:
<quoted text>
The Volt a tow car? LMAO, thats funnier than the Volt winter car lie.
I notice you don't post your car's fuel efficiency performance. What do you drive anyway, being that it is so much better than my car?

Let me guess ... a car that I really don't care that you drive. You see ... I'm not obsessed with you or your car.

You, on the other hand, can't seem to let me go. Don't get me wrong. I like that. I like being the center of your attention. I guess you could call that a problem, but if it helps to keep you going, it gives me some sort of satisfaction.

OK ... hooey!! Great word. Thanks.

analretentivevol towner

Florham Park, NJ

#7843 Dec 17, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of which, here are a bunch of Volt owners giving a Prius owner assurances that his switching to a Volt will not mean that going up to the mountains will be a bummer.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-...
I like this guy. Uses 1 gallon of gas for a 72 mile round trip while climbing up a grade for 2,500 feet. He hits 85 mph going up the grade.
"I live in the Durango and drive to Purgatory several times a week. It is 72 miles round-trip. My starting elevation is 7400 feet, which drops to 6500 feet, and then goes up to 9000 feet. I use mountain mode going up and keep it in mountain mode coming down until I am about 20 miles from my home, where I switch it to normal to ensure that I use up all of the available battery power. I use D going up the mountain and L coming down. The entire trip consumes 1 gallon of gasoline. There is always adequate power available. I usually set the cruise at 65 but on occasion and just for grins, I hit 85 going up the grade."
Here is another owners experience in his drive from Denver to Winter Park, CO. An elevation change of over 5,000 feet. He uses 3 gallons of gas for the entire round trip!!
"I live in Denver and just went to Winter Park; about 130 miles round trip. I used less than 3 gallons of gas and had no trouble on the uphill to Berthoud Pass nor going uphill on the pass from either side. What I've found works the best in the hills is to switch to Mountain mode at around 10 miles of electrical remaining and the gas mode kicks in. The downhills recharge so that I can then switch back to electric for a while. On the return once I made it down the pass, it was home free on electric the rest of the downhill ride to Denver."
That is the beauty of these types of cars. Coming down a steep grade recharges the battery. If the grade is long enough, the battery will actually charge to full, giving the driver 40 + miles of free driving. It more than makes up for the extra power/gas used to go up the mountain. A gas car, while coming down a grade still uses gas, albeit not much, but the electric car is creating fuel.
yawn, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, snore; just more of the same BS.

“Dirty Canada”

Since: Oct 13

Richmond Hill, Canada

#7844 Dec 17, 2013
I might be a transgendred liar but I stand firm and plump for Canada and the Volt.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7845 Dec 18, 2013
So---we have a Leagle Beagle impersonator who claims to be from Windsor (but in reality is in USA) who, among other unique character attributes, claims to be a "transgendered liar who stands plump for Canada and Volt"
Very strange.
Are we talking disturbed person?
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7846 Dec 18, 2013
Some folks apparently act very strangely in dealing with challenges they cannot deal with maturely or intelligently.

"Transgendered liar who stands plump for Canada and Volt"

Indeed!
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7847 Dec 18, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
I notice you don't post your car's fuel efficiency performance. What do you drive anyway, being that it is so much better than my car?
Let me guess ... a car that I really don't care that you drive. You see ... I'm not obsessed with you or your car.
You, on the other hand, can't seem to let me go. Don't get me wrong. I like that. I like being the center of your attention. I guess you could call that a problem, but if it helps to keep you going, it gives me some sort of satisfaction.
OK ... hooey!! Great word. Thanks.
We see that you've foisted more of your self righteous vitriol onto another who you see as an enemy of the state, the people, yourself, and all things Volt.
Typically you continue to decry and praise yourself as being somehow "victorious" in various exchanges between yourself and others--yours truly included.
Truth be told, any "victory" you may strive to attribute to yourself is in reality a Pyrrhic Victory.
Now go to Google--the source of all your knowledge--to learn what it means, and be enlightened.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7848 Dec 18, 2013
Psst...it's a Volt forum.

The most traded car for a Volt is the prius.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2016 Prius Four is a smarter, sleeker version o... 22 hr Solarman 1
News Eminent domain puts Trump at odds with 2016ers Sun Go Blue Forever 1
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Feb 5 New colorado 280
News Barbie's new body: curvy, tall and petite Feb 4 Zugzwang 1
News Cheney: Clinton email scandal raises questions Feb 2 Go Blue Forever 33
SKP900 V4.0 released!! Feb 1 lalaura 1
News Marco Rubio: 'We have taken the first step' Feb 1 Ritual Habitual 1
More from around the web