Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11773 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7743 Dec 10, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Gas engines in race cars or bikes can be refuelled in seconds. Batteries take a little longer. Hours.
Millions of dollars spent by these teams??
How many hundreds of millions have been spent on battery technology, and adapting it to race cars?
Hoopla?? The only hoopla we see here is authored by one person--LuvmySelf.
And let us not forget that the gas engines in race adapted hybrids are still doing most of the heavy lifting in these races.
LuvmySelf's justification for his obsession is consistently misleading--always a one sided point of view.
It's called "Spin".
Is he by chance a politician?
Wow ... ok ... I'll make it simple (again) so that even you can understand. They will change out the battery ... not recharge it.

I stated that this is the same as changing out a motor. If NHRA teams can change out motors, why can't an electric team change out the battery?

Wow .... OK dude. I am really, really getting to the point that I now understand that you don't understand.

Give up the position of re-charging making a drag bike team non competitive.

Once again .... THEY WILL CHANGE OUT THE BATTERY. Can you say that 3 times and understand what you are saying??????????
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7744 Dec 10, 2013
No
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7745 Dec 11, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Your great grandfather was one of those people who laughed at the horseless carriage.
Your position on all of these matters is being chipped away as we speak.
L.I. batteries have gained 10% more range and have dropped 40% in cost just in the last 2 years.
I feel sorry for you dude. Your hatred is such that you take an untenable position with regards to these facts.
Are you that so entrenched in your beliefs that you can't even see the future?
Wow ... until tonight, I thought you were just a hater. I now realize that you are without thought, reason or the ability to understand.
Sorry I picked on you. I thought we were pretty close in ability.
Typically, when cornered, you make ludicrous and completely imaginary claims about anyone who exposes your exaggerated rants.
My Grandfather? What in God's name has he got to do with this discussion?
And are you some kind of a clairvoiant who reads tea leaves and stares into crystal balls?
Or just an insecure wacko who just dreams up ridiculous theories on a whim as a pathetic defensive strategy?
FYI, my Grandfather was a highly skilled engineer who, among other accomplishments, worked with a guy named Whittle in the UK, and developed the heat resistent compressor blades for the first Jet engines in use by the Allied forces in WWII.
He also worked with the development team which created the engines for the first large intercontinental jet bomber--the B-47, in the early 1950s.
He the went on to work at Ford in a very senior R & D position, and actually held many patents pertaining to engine and transmission research.
He was a frequent lecturer at a number of prestigious universities well into his 70s and 80s.
As a family, we are proud of our grandparents, and respect them as such.
I doubt if you have any respect for anybody, yourself included, and that allows you to act in such a childish and insecure manner.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7746 Dec 11, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Hey poo ... since you are so smart and you think that the brilliant scientists that are working on the future of L.I. batteries are losers ... work on this one.
MIT brains. I am sure that you can give them a thing or two. You should email them and let them know that they are wasting their time.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20...
Never made any such claim.
Where do you get these ridiculous allegations anyway?
Are you on some kind of mind altering drug?
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7747 Dec 11, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen. He can't admit that hybrids are beating all gas race cars. He thinks that the electric motors in the Audi hybrids are only working when coming out of corners.
In fact, they are always working. They add to the horse power no matter where they are on the track.
That is exactly what the Prius does. The Prius is very rarely full electric. It is a hybrid in the purest form. Exactly what the Le Mans Audi's do. What does he think a hybrid is?
That is exactly what I have been trying to make him understand. The Prius was the mpg king until the Voltec system came along. Of course they can't use the Voltec system in race cars ...(yet).
They must use parallel hybrid systems like the Prius. Not only does this system make them faster out of the corners, and add horse power down the straights, it cuts down on their fuel usage. Thus, they can drive with less fuel in the tanks and make them lighter. A double advantage.
This pathetic little person can't accept that. Wow. Until now, I thought he was a hater with knowledge and just wouldn't admit. Now I realize that he is devoid of knowledge also. That makes him twice as ignorant.
I mean ... it is so pathetic that he is trying to defend a position that even the best Le Man's & F1 engineers have abandoned.
It really is pathetic. Even I am a little embarrassed for him and I can't stand him. Although, I did love crossing swords with him as he is totally unarmed with facts.
He doesn't understand that these f1 and Le Mans racing teams don't care about what makes them finish first. If poo made their cars win ... he would be in big demand, because they would use it.
Again, more completely imaginary allegations.
I have not denied the winning accomplishments of those race hybrids.
You are dreaming.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7748 Dec 11, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Worst day I've ever had ... range wise ... today. I only got a little over 28 miles on my range. My previous worst was 34 ... and that was a cold day.
It was so cold that two plants that I've had for over 30 years froze to death.
We are a bunch of wusses around here. We aren't used to freezing to near death like the poo does in Windsor.
But I like being spoiled.
Anyway ... my mpg was only 104. Terrible.
I remember when I wanted to buy a Prius because I could get 45 mpg. I thought that was awesome.
Wow ... I'd shoot myself now ... something that would make the poo happy. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .... WOOOOOO ... I cracked myself up!!!!!!
Video tomorrow. Good night.
Another ridiculous assumption? Still dreaming in technicolour?
Are you aware that our area (SW Ontario) has the mildest climate in all of Canada?
Be advised, this area is at the same parallel of latitude as Northern California, and is further south than one third of the entire USA.
We're even South of Detroit, and all of the State of Michigan.
Freezing? No, our golf courses are still in operation, and the grass is still being cut.
Better cut down on the smack my friend.
Justin

United States

#7749 Dec 11, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Another ridiculous assumption? Still dreaming in technicolour?
Are you aware that our area (SW Ontario) has the mildest climate in all of Canada?
Be advised, this area is at the same parallel of latitude as Northern California, and is further south than one third of the entire USA.
We're even South of Detroit, and all of the State of Michigan.
Freezing? No, our golf courses are still in operation, and the grass is still being cut.
Better cut down on the smack my friend.
You seem very angry and arrogant.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7750 Dec 11, 2013
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>You seem very angry and arrogant.
Behold, the well known IPSpoofer rises to the defence of LuvmySelf.
Justin time to save LuvmySelf from making another fool of himself in his desperate attempts to establish some perverse moral high ground.
Hard to do when one is devoid of morals.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7751 Dec 11, 2013
Moving right along....
He who claims that Hybrid race cars carry less fuel and thus are lighter because battery takes over some of the work, has completely forgotten that batteries weigh as much or more than the fuel they displace.
Another pipe dream philosophy by The Knower of All Things--none other than good old LuvmySelf.
Justin

United States

#7752 Dec 11, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Behold, the well known IPSpoofer rises to the defence of LuvmySelf.
Justin time to save LuvmySelf from making another fool of himself in his desperate attempts to establish some perverse moral high ground.
Hard to do when one is devoid of morals.
Simply making an observation and it appears to be a quite accurate observation. Anger defines your behavior. What is a spoofer?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7753 Dec 11, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
Moving right along....
He who claims that Hybrid race cars carry less fuel and thus are lighter because battery takes over some of the work, has completely forgotten that batteries weigh as much or more than the fuel they displace.
Another pipe dream philosophy by The Knower of All Things--none other than good old LuvmySelf.
Did I say anything about batteries? Where do you see that? Read the next post. I was just going to post that without any implication of you having knowledge zero about these F1 and Le Mans series hybrids. But you opened mouth and inserted foot.

Thank you.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7754 Dec 11, 2013
It's ironic that the poo is now beginning to understand what the limitations of a non series hybrid is. Unfortunately he picks a situation where a series hybrid wouldn't work.

I've been trying forever to make him understand what it is he hates. That being, a non series hybrid is limited in many ways, but as for daily driving, the main limitation is mpg. That is, as he finally understands, because the gas engine is doing most of the work, while in the series hybrid, the main electric motor is always working with occasional assistance from a generator.

The beauty of the Le man's hybrids is that they generate electric power with flywheels. Flywheel hybrids have been around for years. Flywheel power generation is used in many other instances such as in space craft. The problem with using them in a passenger car application where the flywheel is the only source of power is that, when in an accident, the flywheel can kill quite a few people before it stops spinning. The flywheel would have to be massive in comparison to a normal flywheel assist system.

I read an article in Popular Science way back in the mid 80's about the awesome advantage pure flywheel hybrids would be if they could just tame the monster.

There were several test cars that were electric / flywheel hybrids. These hybrids used the flywheel as a generator. You never had to plug in. You would drive all day and the flywheel would create power. It would get its momentum back from the wheels. When you wake up in the morning, the flywheel is still spinning. Amazing. That would come as close to a totally fuel free car as you could get.

Newer flywheel assist technology is about to be placed on the market, but these are flywheel assist hybrids, which have been around for eons. Volvo will use a flywheel system that only works upon take off. The flywheel will spin up at stops and transfer it's energy to the rear wheels via a special transmission.

Apparently, the flywheel will not be spinning during normal driving. A much less efficient but much safer system than an all electric system. But they claim it will boost their mpg by 25%.

In the Le Mans hybrids, they were able to bring their mpg up from 3 mpg to 4. Sounds stupid, but that is a huge increase in the racing world.

Series hybrids have been around for many years also. But not in the format of the Voltec system. Think diesel / electric trains.

OK poo ... now that you understand the limitations of a non series hybrid, try understanding why the Volt planetary is so awesome. It is what makes the Volt series system so special. You are now half way there.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7755 Dec 11, 2013
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>Simply making an observation and it appears to be a quite accurate observation. Anger defines your behavior. What is a spoofer?
You know full and well what a Spoofer is.
Hiding behind anonymous or fake IP locations defines you.
FYI, the anger which you allude to is merely a provocative ploy on your part.
If, on the other hand, if you truly wish to find fault with posters whose conduct you question....
It shouldn't be difficult for you to find far more worthy conduct by a few others here to comment on.
You don't have to look far.
Justin

United States

#7756 Dec 11, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
You know full and well what a Spoofer is.
Hiding behind anonymous or fake IP locations defines you.
FYI, the anger which you allude to is merely a provocative ploy on your part.
If, on the other hand, if you truly wish to find fault with posters whose conduct you question....
It shouldn't be difficult for you to find far more worthy conduct by a few others here to comment on.
You don't have to look far.
Look Mister I found this place conducting searches for my Grandchildren called "Leapfrog" toys and started reading the last few pages of smut. You're correct I do now know what spoofing is after a search and don't think you have any idea about what you're speaking of. Angry behavior and foul language seems to describe your actions. See you around.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7757 Dec 11, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
Moving right along....
He who claims that Hybrid race cars carry less fuel and thus are lighter because battery takes over some of the work, has completely forgotten that batteries weigh as much or more than the fuel they displace.
Another pipe dream philosophy by The Knower of All Things--none other than good old LuvmySelf.
So, by now you have read post #7754 and you have come to realize that the Le Mans hybrids are flywheel hybrids. You now know that flywheel hybrid technology has been around for probably over a hundred years.

Anyway ... getting back to this open mouth insert foot post of yours ...

Even if the technology used in these race hybrids was battery .... they still won!!!!

Your statement that the battery weighs as much or more than the fuel they displace does not factor in .... they are winning.

Can't you see that you opened mouth and inserted foot not once ... but twice.

Step back. Take a few deep breaths. take one of these ...

http://repost.eu/files/01/chill-pill-250-000-...

and then think for a few minutes ...

then type.

Following the above directions will allow that foot, which is by now at your throat level, to be extracted.

My pipe dream? It's more like your blunder.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7758 Dec 11, 2013
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>Look Mister I found this place conducting searches for my Grandchildren called "Leapfrog" toys and started reading the last few pages of smut. You're correct I do now know what spoofing is after a search and don't think you have any idea about what you're speaking of. Angry behavior and foul language seems to describe your actions. See you around.
Afraid you're barking up the wrong tree.
The angry posts and foul language aren't mine.
Now you know what Spoofing is, you'll undrestand the error you made.
And I'm pleased to see the angry and foul language posts have been erased by someone in authority.
Cheers.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7759 Dec 11, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
So, by now you have read post #7754 and you have come to realize that the Le Mans hybrids are flywheel hybrids. You now know that flywheel hybrid technology has been around for probably over a hundred years.
Anyway ... getting back to this open mouth insert foot post of yours ...
Even if the technology used in these race hybrids was battery .... they still won!!!!
Your statement that the battery weighs as much or more than the fuel they displace does not factor in .... they are winning.
Can't you see that you opened mouth and inserted foot not once ... but twice.
Step back. Take a few deep breaths. take one of these ...
http://repost.eu/files/01/chill-pill-250-000-...
and then think for a few minutes ...
then type.
Following the above directions will allow that foot, which is by now at your throat level, to be extracted.
My pipe dream? It's more like your blunder.
Your pathetic attempts at seizing the moral high ground are failing miserably.
All it qualifies at is entertainment--and even that isn't so special.
The foot remains in it's rightful place.
Right smack dab in your butt--every time.
Justin

United States

#7761 Dec 11, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Afraid you're barking up the wrong tree.
The angry posts and foul language aren't mine.
Now you know what Spoofing is, you'll undrestand the error you made.
And I'm pleased to see the angry and foul language posts have been erased by someone in authority.
Cheers.
I've made no error. Your words show the world you are an angry person.
Justin

United States

#7762 Dec 11, 2013
Foot in a butt? Those are words from anger. I've read the last few pages and have come to the conclusion when challanged you take the opportunity to fight and that takes an angry person.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7763 Dec 11, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Your pathetic attempts at seizing the moral high ground are failing miserably.
All it qualifies at is entertainment--and even that isn't so special.
The foot remains in it's rightful place.
Right smack dab in your butt--every time.
OK ... whatever you say.

But you must admit, now you know what a flywheel hybrid is. You don't have to thank me. But .....

Did you know that there are hydraulic hybrids also? No batteries involved there either.

No wonder you don't know the difference between the Prius and the Volt. You thought all hybrids were the same.

And are we angry? I thought you said you didn't get angry.

I'm merely pointing out your mistakes when it comes to talking about cars.

You say that (I'm assuming your foot) is square in my butt. Sounds like you want to give me an ars kicking.

Oooooohhhh .... you need to double up on those chill pills.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MPPS V18 Works on win7 Did all cars no problem! 12 hr uobd2 1
News Tesla's real capacity problem? Too many employees 12 hr MsAngelo 2
Lexia Diagbox 8.46/ 8.42/ 8.38/ 8.37/ 8.35/ 8.1... 16 hr Jerry523 1
How To Install FGTech Galletto V54 On Win 7 Thu uobd2 3
which one is best: XTOOL EZ500 / EZ400/ X100 PAD Thu jimmyLIN 3
(Promotion) Xtool X-100 PAD2 Pro Special Functi... Thu jimmyLIN 2
Xtool X-100 PAD vs. Xtool X100 PRO vs. X300 Plus (Feb '16) Thu jimmyLIN 4
More from around the web