Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7172 Oct 21, 2013
Root wrote:
Don't pooh pooh your situation. It's bad as prius ev sales.
He's stuck on the engine (generator). He doesn't have the basic concept of the parallel hybrid vs a series hybrid. He thinks the gas generator drives the Volt like the Prius does, when in fact, the only duty the gas generator has is to create electricity.

He will never understand because he hates the Volt and will never admit he's wrong.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7173 Oct 21, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
Facts
Volt's gas engine has 84 net HP, and 92 ft/pounds torque.
It is mandated for premium fuel only, because its low 10.5 to 1 compression ratio does not tolerate lower octane fuels with ethanol.
By today's standards, that's a pretty puny engine.
There is no proof that Volt batteries will last for claimed periods. The technology used by Volt has been in the public domain for only three years. It's simply too early to substantiate claims.
In comparing MSRPs, Luvmyvolt has consistently used "loaded up" prices for Prius Plug-In, versus base prices for Volt. If he compared them both equally, price differences would be close to $10k.
References to any of my posts being deleted are false and deliberately misleading. That has never happened as long as I've been participating in these forums. This cannot be refuted under any circumstances. Those who opine different are lying.
Hey dummy poo poo. There are 3 Volt choices. Premium, base and basic.

A base Volt comes with leather, heated seats, a Bose system, and navigation.

A premium Volt means that you pay extra for the premium paint. There are only 2 premium colors. White Diamond and Crystal Red. There are 5 or 6 other colors. Also, a premium Volt means you can upgrade your Bose system. A back up camera is also in the premium Volt

A premium Volt must be ordered unless they happen to have one on the lot. Most Volts on the lot are base Volts.

A basic Volt comes in one color only. No leather, no Bose, but still a killer stereo. Basic Volts must be ordered because they are only kept on lots to be used as test drive cars. If you knew anything about the Volt, you would know that.

So, you have a base Volt with leather, navigation, Bose, heated seats for an msrp of $34,900.

The basic Volt is about $30,000 now.

The cheapest Prius Plug in is $30,000. That's a basic Prius. Not leather ... not heated seats ... not a Bose system ... no navigation. You must pay $35,000 for that car.

http://cars.chicagotribune.com/fuel-efficient...

Same price as the base Volt with all that nice stuff standard. Then you get only a $2,500 tax credit!!!

Sorry, poo poo. You can smear it all you want. It's not sticking. The base Volt, with heated leather seats, bose system, navigation is $5,000 cheaper after the credits.

Now ... and this is a killer point.

The basic Volt is another $4,000 cheaper. Sure, you have to order it and wait a couple months. That's what I did. I have the basic and it is awesome. 5 times better than any Prius I have ever been in. And I've been in a few.

So, the basic Volt is $9,000 cheaper than a plug in Prius. What fool would pay $9,000 more for 1/5 the car?

Answer .... you.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7174 Oct 21, 2013
Once again, poo poo. There is a world of difference between a base Volt and a basic Volt. They are not the same car.

The base Volt has more options than the top of the line Prius.

Of course, you don't know that because you don't know anything about the Volt.

Even the Premium Volt is cheaper than the top of the line Prius Plug In after the credits. And believe me, the options are extreme compared to the Prius.

You poor thing. You wallow in ignorance while you claim you are the most knowledgeable.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7175 Oct 21, 2013
Oh, and by the way ... poo poo. GM doesn't advertise the basic Volt. Never has. It must be specially built for the buyer. Duh.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7176 Oct 21, 2013
Hey poo poo. Go study up on series vs parallel hybrid.

And fyi ... the Volt is the only true series hybrid being built because of patent rights.

Do you even know what a generator is? The way you talk, I seriously doubt it. You still think the Volt is a parallel hybrid.

Here ... I'm going to help you. Try reading up. You may come to understand why the Volt generator doesn't need a lot of hp. It doesn't propel the car dummy. It creates electricity, you numb skull.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6130613_series-vs_-...

http://www.hybridcenter.org/hybrid-center-how...

Two excellent articles to help dispel your worries about the Volt generator.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7177 Oct 21, 2013
And by the way. Here is a video of a Volt going 0 - 60 in 5.5 seconds when the generator is on.

His final run at 4:24 is 0 - 60 in under 6 seconds.

Weak? Your argument is weak. Once again, you are wrong.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7178 Oct 22, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
He's stuck on the engine (generator). He doesn't have the basic concept of the parallel hybrid vs a series hybrid. He thinks the gas generator drives the Volt like the Prius does, when in fact, the only duty the gas generator has is to create electricity.
He will never understand because he hates the Volt and will never admit he's wrong.
Trying to weasel out of the fact that Volt's engine is a little on the small side?
I knew all along it drives the gen set. Never mentioned it because it's a foregone conclusion.
That isnt't the issue and never was.
What I said about that little gasser is true.
Small, weak, low compression, and dependent on premium fuel to run properly.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7179 Oct 22, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dummy poo poo. There are 3 Volt choices. Premium, base and basic.
A base Volt comes with leather, heated seats, a Bose system, and navigation.
A premium Volt means that you pay extra for the premium paint. There are only 2 premium colors. White Diamond and Crystal Red. There are 5 or 6 other colors. Also, a premium Volt means you can upgrade your Bose system. A back up camera is also in the premium Volt
A premium Volt must be ordered unless they happen to have one on the lot. Most Volts on the lot are base Volts.
A basic Volt comes in one color only. No leather, no Bose, but still a killer stereo. Basic Volts must be ordered because they are only kept on lots to be used as test drive cars. If you knew anything about the Volt, you would know that.
So, you have a base Volt with leather, navigation, Bose, heated seats for an msrp of $34,900.
The basic Volt is about $30,000 now.
The cheapest Prius Plug in is $30,000. That's a basic Prius. Not leather ... not heated seats ... not a Bose system ... no navigation. You must pay $35,000 for that car.
http://cars.chicagotribune.com/fuel-efficient...
Same price as the base Volt with all that nice stuff standard. Then you get only a $2,500 tax credit!!!
Sorry, poo poo. You can smear it all you want. It's not sticking. The base Volt, with heated leather seats, bose system, navigation is $5,000 cheaper after the credits.
Now ... and this is a killer point.
The basic Volt is another $4,000 cheaper. Sure, you have to order it and wait a couple months. That's what I did. I have the basic and it is awesome. 5 times better than any Prius I have ever been in. And I've been in a few.
So, the basic Volt is $9,000 cheaper than a plug in Prius. What fool would pay $9,000 more for 1/5 the car?
Answer .... you.
Maybe in California.
But here in Canada, there's a $10,000 difference.
You wasted an entire page to prove nothing.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7180 Oct 22, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Once again, poo poo. There is a world of difference between a base Volt and a basic Volt. They are not the same car.
The base Volt has more options than the top of the line Prius.
Of course, you don't know that because you don't know anything about the Volt.
Even the Premium Volt is cheaper than the top of the line Prius Plug In after the credits. And believe me, the options are extreme compared to the Prius.
You poor thing. You wallow in ignorance while you claim you are the most knowledgeable.
You are confused--again and again.
I've never claimed to be the most knowledgeable, and unlike you I would never do so.
But I do have a lot of car experience, and a licence to prove it.
I don't have to spend hours on the internet to search for links to impress others.
"Wallowing" in self adulation isn't my thing.
I just tell it like it is.

You really should get yourself a new "Bull Shooter"
The one you got doesn't shoot straight.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7181 Oct 22, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
And by the way. Here is a video of a Volt going 0 - 60 in 5.5 seconds when the generator is on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hA4fLSuvkk8XX
His final run at 4:24 is 0 - 60 in under 6 seconds.
Weak? Your argument is weak. Once again, you are wrong.
What argument?
I've never talked about Volt's accelleration.
Confused--again?
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7182 Oct 22, 2013
One more thing.
Given that the Great Grandstander has failed on three out of four issues, there's one more to be settled.
Luvmyvolt has repeatedly inferred that I've had posts cancelled.
Not so.

"Curses" LuvVolt--- you're foiled again!!
Helpless

Santa Clara, CA

#7183 Oct 22, 2013
Here you go, poo poo.

http://autos.yahoo.com/chevrolet/volt/2014/ba...

This is a 2014 Volt Base sold for $34,185.

Go down and see what you get.

For just under $500 you get the upgraded Bose system with navigation. That brings the price to $34,685. That is the Volt most people get at the lots. That is all that GM delivers to lots

Premium trim and basic Volts must be ordered and take time for delivery.

Keep scrolling down.

You see 
leather seats,$0 additional
Heated seats $0
Rear park assist, front park assist, lane departure warning, front collision alert and rear vision camera  are all part of the package. Not sold separately. 

The above and the following options make up the premium Volt.

The special radio, something I know nothing about is $900. The premium trim package is $1,400. The special paint  for $1,000 and special wheels for $600 are what make up the premium package.

The base Volt is not the basic Volt. It has tons more stuff than the Prius. This should prove it to you, but I know you will deny it because you poo on everything.

The basic Volt has none of the package items except for the low emissions package. It must be specially ordered. It is always $3,500 -$4,000 less than the base Volt. And therefore $9,000 less than the Prius after credits.
Helpless

Santa Clara, CA

#7184 Oct 22, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confused--again and again.
I've never claimed to be the most knowledgeable, and unlike you I would never do so.
But I do have a lot of car experience, and a licence to prove it.
I don't have to spend hours on the internet to search for links to impress others.
"Wallowing" in self adulation isn't my thing.
I just tell it like it is.
You really should get yourself a new "Bull Shooter"
The one you got doesn't shoot straight.
Wow. I laughed so hard when I read this. I love this. I'm going to mark it down and rub it in your face as often as I can.

At least you admit you are not knowledgable. But then you admit you don't search for facts. And then you say you tell it like it is. If you don't study, what is it that you tell? Answer ... poo.

Once again, read my last post. Base 2014 Volt with tons more stuff than the plug in Prius for under $35,000.$25,000 after fed & CA credits.

Ok. Please inform us as to "how it is".
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7185 Oct 22, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to weasel out of the fact that Volt's engine is a little on the small side?
I knew all along it drives the gen set. Never mentioned it because it's a foregone conclusion.
That isnt't the issue and never was.
What I said about that little gasser is true.
Small, weak, low compression, and dependent on premium fuel to run properly.
It is a generator! Read the posts on series hybrids and learn. You're like a child who refuses to admit that you're wrong. You say you knew it was a generator, but you didn't. You're a liar.
You still don't know what a series hybrid is. You thought the generator was connected to the wheels. That is the basic thing that makes the Volt different from all other plug in hybrids. Those other plug in hybrids are Soft Series hybrids, not true series hybrids. Look that up!***
And you didn't know it. I could tell by your posts. Now you meekly state that you knew it. Foregone conclusion! Only after you realized how wrong you were.
And by the way, GM is going to put an even smaller gas generator in the next generation Volt.
And by the way, that 5.5 0-60 run could not be done without the "weak" engine. You numb skull.
Oh ..... I had to buy 30 gallons of premium in 2 years. Oh my .... that's $3.50 more than if the idiots at GM had put a man sized engine in the Volt .... in two years. That's $1.75 per year! I'm going broke! Hahahahahahaha.
Perhaps the brilliant engineers at the SAE should call you so you can lecture them on what a bunch of idiots they are for naming the Volt Best Engineered Car ..... in the world. I bet you think you know more than them. It wouldn't surprise me.
*** Oh i forgot ... You don't have time to look up facts. You only tell it like it is. Whatever that is.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7186 Oct 22, 2013
You see, I renamed myself in your honor. You're helpless. Now back to my real persona. I don't see why you keep changing names. Maybe to deny your previous poo. At least Root has remained the same throughout.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7187 Oct 22, 2013
If this isn't the biggest beagle pooh pooh I've ever seen, I don't know what is. Now that's a Reality!

Meanwhile Volt keeps on keeping on like the mud truck slings pooh. Number one Volt, cha ching.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7188 Oct 22, 2013
LuvmyVolt:

You seem quite prone to hissy fits.
Why not just chill for a bit, calm down, and pay attention.
A while back I said you were presumptuous.
You went into an emotional tailspin over that as well.
But there's truth in what I said.
Look at what you've posted in your latest rounds of irrational vitriol.

1. According to your most persistent presumption, I apparently don't know what the little engine in a Volt does. You presume to say that I think it's connected to wheels. Not true. What that little engine does (drives a generator) is common knowledge for myself and many others.
2. Another presumption accuses me of not knowing the difference between Volt's technology and Prius' system.(series vs. parallel hybrids)
Not true. As recently as last week, I referenced the difference between the two.
3. Yet another presumption you rant about is prices of Volt and Prius in California and use those numbers to suggest I am lying about the vast price difference between the two here where live.
Not true. You forget that I live in another country, and prices here are vastly different than where you live. I could care less about what you pay where you live. the only frame of reference is where I live, and Volts don't sell well here because they're too expensive compared to other options.
4. Yet another presumption. You babble about me saying bad things about Volt's acceleration, yet I've never talked about it.
5. Yet another presumption. You babble a bunch of nonsense about me saying I'm knowledgeable about everything, when I've never said such a thing. Furthermore, I don't go to great lengths advertising what I do know like you do.
6. Last but not least. Another presumption concerns your fantasy about my posts being "deleted". Please tell me when this happened, because it's news to me. I've never had a post deleted simply because there's never been a reason to do so.

So LuvmyVolt, you are really barking up a tree for no good reason, other that you seem to delight in barking up trees.
your presumptiveness is catching up with you.
You really do need a new "Bull Shooter", because yours is wearing a little thin.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7189 Oct 22, 2013
Root wrote:
If this isn't the biggest beagle pooh pooh I've ever seen, I don't know what is. Now that's a Reality!
Meanwhile Volt keeps on keeping on like the mud truck slings pooh. Number one Volt, cha ching.
It's all about "clicks" JJ, right?
After all, you've said it many times!
And you seem to accept whatever comes along.
Cheers.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7190 Oct 22, 2013
Root wrote:
Read his post 7188. He has been telling everyone that the Prius is $10k cheaper than the Volt. But now it's only where he lives. The CA Volts clan is the largest in the world, but that means nothing to him. He bases all facts on his neighborhood.

The CA credit of $2,500 (up to) is not the only credit given out by a state. I think I'll check out the difference in price in his area. You think he's right? We'll see.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7191 Oct 22, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all about "clicks" JJ, right?
After all, you've said it many times!
And you seem to accept whatever comes along.
Cheers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to make FVDI run under VMWare? 10 hr Ambrosio 1
News Graham group takes Mormon cult wording off Web (Oct '12) 11 hr Maggie 8
News U.S. says North Korean submarine missing Aug 25 operation gladio 2
Original Xhorse Mini VCI techstream FW 2.0.4 vs... Aug 25 Ambrosio 1
AUTOPHIX OM123 OBDII EOBD CAN code reader read ... Aug 24 car-diagnostic-tool 1
OBDSTAR F102 Nissan Pin Code Reader Key Program... Aug 23 Spencer5 5
Foxwell NT510 has good success with BMW multisy... Aug 23 lalaura 1
More from around the web