Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7152 Oct 21, 2013
I can go 70, to and from an Oakland A's game and get 96 mph combined. The Prius plug in can only get 50 mph at best because it can't stay in electric

make that mpg. sheeeesh
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7153 Oct 21, 2013
The poo poo head has made up Volt "realities" in his head and his groupie, the cruzer, runs with them because he thinks the poo poo head is an automotive genius.

Case in point. The poo poo head recently made up a Volt "fact" about the use of premium gas. In his mind, he figured that premium gas must be used because the "engine" (not) is weak.

First of all, in the automotive world, weak engines can not use premium gas because of the higher combustion level. Engines that use premium are built to withstand those forces.

But mainly, he doesn't stop to ponder this:

The engineers at GM had 10 years to figure out the poo poo heads "flaw". If poo poo was correct, don't you think the engineers would have corrected this in those 10 years?

How ludicrous is that train of thought? Very. Not only did the brilliant engineers think about it, they programed the car to consider a driver using regular gas.

From the article:

"Premium gas will maximize the fuel economy when the engine is used, GM powertrain spokesman Tom Read said. In an emergency, regular gas can be used on the Volt, but fuel economy will be compromised, and the engine may become noisier. The Volt’s engine computer will detect the octane change and retard ignition timing".

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/08/do...

The car will retard ignition timing ... automatically!!! Poo poo not only has it wrong, he has it unimaginatively wrong. He ponders, searching for a negative explanation, then settles for the worst case scenario.

Putting it another way ... he would have been fired on the first day should the GM team have accidentally hired him as a Volt team member.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7154 Oct 21, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Don't "pooh pooh your situation any further than you already have. It's perfectly normal to compare the two. Now if you tried to compare a elantras to a plugin well, that wouldn't work.
You know what JJ, debating with you is a complete waste of time as far as I'm concerned.
Your objective is to denigrate Prius, and pump up Volt. Nothing more or less. Your record is clear on that.
Mine is simply to take the hype out of all the Volt adulation and introduce a little common sense.
Certainly not to "Poo Poo" anything. I always look at both sides of any issue, and my record is clear on that.
But in another thread JJ, you've proved to me just how morally corrupt you are.
You have shown me just how low you're willing to go to make your case, or intimidate those who you seek to stifle.
I have never used vulgarity, gross personal insults, and never stooped so low as to bring what you did into a discussion. My record is clear on that as well-- and don't point at me for the drivel all your pseudo username associates bring to the table under my name.
I really don't wish to deal with your tawdry low life tactics any more, so just consider yourself off my contact list from here on in.
Clearly and simply, you can no longer be trusted.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7155 Oct 21, 2013
Now ... to show the hater that the gas engine is not a motor in the sense that he thinks:

The poo poo head has let it be known by his uneducated posts that he thinks the Volt's gas generator directly connects to the wheels, such as the Prius, which is a parallel hybrid. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Volt is a series hybrid. Only the main electric motor is connected to the wheels, via the planetary. The Volt is a series hybrid. The first series hybrid car to go into production ever.

The brilliant engineers at GM decided not to implement a normal generator (electric & gas motor in one unit). Instead, they decided to separate the two units via a clutch. This allows the Volt to use the electric motor portion of the generator to connect to the main electric motor via another clutch. This is done when in electric mode and at higher speeds only.

When in gas mode, the small electric motor and the gas motor connect via the clutch and become a generator. The generator then sends electricity to the battery, which in turn sends power to the main motor which is spinning the wheels.

This is just one of the 200 brilliant patents that GM has on the Volt. This is one of the many reasons why the engineers at BMW had to try to match the Volt's performance, knowing full well that the engineers at GM had set a very high standard.

It is also why the brilliant engineers at the SAE named the Volt Best Engineered Car.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7156 Oct 21, 2013
Depends, the truck might be a clunker and the car might be a luxo vw. I wouldn't compare a p-u to a luxury car anyway though some p-ups are as luxurious as a lux car. I would compare the 11 mile prius to a 50 mile Volt, or a cmax, or a Tesla, or insert name here ___. The beauty of it is, you don't have to and that's the part you don't seem to get about this forum. You can say the Volt sucks all day long and I can say toyota sucks all day long, you know the topic when you decide to click it. Why get out of shape because someone busts your balls now and again, afterall you know what you're doing when you voluntarily step into a room to begin with. Face it, there would be no trouble if people put their bias aside but you and I both know that will never happen. People despise GM and the Volt, sour grapes imo.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7157 Oct 21, 2013
Now, trying to get back to not shooting down stupid statements.

I posted a video for this subject before, but this article sheds a little more light to the subject.

From the article:

"I have a Porsche 911s and a BMW 740il. The Volt was our favorite car to drive."

"Our Farmers insurance adjuster said he never saw a car that mangled without a fatality."

http://thinksingh.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/we...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7158 Oct 21, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what JJ, debating with you is a complete waste of time as far as I'm concerned.
Your objective is to denigrate Prius, and pump up Volt. Nothing more or less. Your record is clear on that.
Mine is simply to take the hype out of all the Volt adulation and introduce a little common sense.
Certainly not to "Poo Poo" anything. I always look at both sides of any issue, and my record is clear on that.
But in another thread JJ, you've proved to me just how morally corrupt you are.
You have shown me just how low you're willing to go to make your case, or intimidate those who you seek to stifle.
I have never used vulgarity, gross personal insults, and never stooped so low as to bring what you did into a discussion. My record is clear on that as well-- and don't point at me for the drivel all your pseudo username associates bring to the table under my name.
I really don't wish to deal with your tawdry low life tactics any more, so just consider yourself off my contact list from here on in.
Clearly and simply, you can no longer be trusted.
You record is clear on lying. Check out the links. The Volt is only $1,185 more expensive than the Prius Plug In.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7159 Oct 21, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Prius plug in msrp is $32,000
https://www.google.com/cars/... #!search&Make_S=Toyota &Model_S=Toyota_Prius+Plug -in&Zipcode_S=95051&Us er+Distance_D=25&tab_S=car _inventory&si=0&tknid= 1727807607
Chevy Volt msrp is $34,185
http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.ht...
Both before credits.
Once again ... slinging poo poo.
The Volt will eat up that $2,000 in less than 1 year because the Prius plug in can't go over 60 mph and stay in electric mode.
I can go 70, to and from an Oakland A's game and get 96 mph combined. The Prius plug in can only get 50 mph at best because it can't stay in electric.
Keep trying though. I love shooting you down.
It's clear that your main objective is to "shoot down" others who don't agree with your comments.
Unfortunately you are using an unloaded gun most of the time, and your aim is lousy.
Not to mention, you're doing the very same thing you accuse others of.
You constantly harp about "haters"', and constantly strive to shut down anyone who differs with you.
Is that any less hateful than what you whine about?
Is what you're doing to Prius not "Poo Pooing" as well?
Double standard?

Oh yes--to the subject as hand--MSRPs for Volt versus Prius, etc.
Interesting how you always compare the base MRSP for Volt against the all dressed MSRP for the competition.
And then you quote some weird and wonderful "fuzzy math" about "subsidies", suggesting that they don't exist, or boil down to some ridiculously low number per capita, etc., etc.
What do you call the incentives you received for your car--freebies; christmas gifts; manna from heaven?
Good Lord man, you were handed 9 grand from the taxpayer which made it easy for you to afford a $40,000 car.
A car which was built by a company which was handed almost a hundred billion just to keep itself alive.
And a car which has a deplorable sales record and is losing big$ every time one is sold.
A car which is practically being given away with factory incentives, ridiculously low lease rates, and gargantuan price reductions?
Funny that these issues never enter into your conversations.
Wonder why?
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7160 Oct 21, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Now ... to show the hater that the gas engine is not a motor in the sense that he thinks:
The poo poo head has let it be known by his uneducated posts that he thinks the Volt's gas generator directly connects to the wheels, such as the Prius, which is a parallel hybrid. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Volt is a series hybrid. Only the main electric motor is connected to the wheels, via the planetary. The Volt is a series hybrid. The first series hybrid car to go into production ever.
The brilliant engineers at GM decided not to implement a normal generator (electric & gas motor in one unit). Instead, they decided to separate the two units via a clutch. This allows the Volt to use the electric motor portion of the generator to connect to the main electric motor via another clutch. This is done when in electric mode and at higher speeds only.
When in gas mode, the small electric motor and the gas motor connect via the clutch and become a generator. The generator then sends electricity to the battery, which in turn sends power to the main motor which is spinning the wheels.
This is just one of the 200 brilliant patents that GM has on the Volt. This is one of the many reasons why the engineers at BMW had to try to match the Volt's performance, knowing full well that the engineers at GM had set a very high standard.
It is also why the brilliant engineers at the SAE named the Volt Best Engineered Car.
You got the wrong guy my man.
I've never mentioned anything in any of my posts about the "generator".
Are you still confusing me with other posters? Those other guys you imagine that I am?
Considering your haste to "Shoot Down" those who you seek to stifle, maybe you need to recalibrate the sights on your "Shooter"
Or should I say "Bull"-"Shooter "?
You are decidedly confused my man.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7161 Oct 21, 2013
Root wrote:
Depends, the truck might be a clunker and the car might be a luxo vw. I wouldn't compare a p-u to a luxury car anyway though some p-ups are as luxurious as a lux car. I would compare the 11 mile prius to a 50 mile Volt, or a cmax, or a Tesla, or insert name here ___. The beauty of it is, you don't have to and that's the part you don't seem to get about this forum. You can say the Volt sucks all day long and I can say toyota sucks all day long, you know the topic when you decide to click it. Why get out of shape because someone busts your balls now and again, afterall you know what you're doing when you voluntarily step into a room to begin with. Face it, there would be no trouble if people put their bias aside but you and I both know that will never happen. People despise GM and the Volt, sour grapes imo.
Trust. A fragile commodity.
People's assertions about one car or another aren't an indication.
Their actions are.
I trust others here to not cross a line.
I follow that caveat as well.
You have crossed the line. Often.
Your actions are despicable.
Canada Poo Poo Head

United States

#7162 Oct 21, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
The poo poo head has made up Volt "realities" in his head and his groupie, the cruzer, runs with them because he thinks the poo poo head is an automotive genius.
Case in point. The poo poo head recently made up a Volt "fact" about the use of premium gas. In his mind, he figured that premium gas must be used because the "engine" (not) is weak.
First of all, in the automotive world, weak engines can not use premium gas because of the higher combustion level. Engines that use premium are built to withstand those forces.
But mainly, he doesn't stop to ponder this:
The engineers at GM had 10 years to figure out the poo poo heads "flaw". If poo poo was correct, don't you think the engineers would have corrected this in those 10 years?
How ludicrous is that train of thought? Very. Not only did the brilliant engineers think about it, they programed the car to consider a driver using regular gas.
From the article:
"Premium gas will maximize the fuel economy when the engine is used, GM powertrain spokesman Tom Read said. In an emergency, regular gas can be used on the Volt, but fuel economy will be compromised, and the engine may become noisier. The Volt’s engine computer will detect the octane change and retard ignition timing".
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/08/do...
The car will retard ignition timing ... automatically!!! Poo poo not only has it wrong, he has it unimaginatively wrong. He ponders, searching for a negative explanation, then settles for the worst case scenario.
Putting it another way ... he would have been fired on the first day should the GM team have accidentally hired him as a Volt team member.
Poo poo head is just a horny slut like most Canadians. He wants a Volt but can't afford it.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7163 Oct 21, 2013
Canada Poo Poo Head wrote:
<quoted text>Poo poo head is just a horny slut like most Canadians. He wants a Volt but can't afford it.
Thank you for the publicity by the way.

The post you chose by Luvmyvolt--The Great Grandstander, was a poor choice.
You see, Old LMV really doesn't know what he's talking about.
If he wasn't able to use the internet to glean his "links",he would be horribly lost.
Old LMV talks about Volts "high" compression ratio, and how ignition timing is "automatically" adjusted to compensate for gasoline octane.
Well, the reality is something else.
That little gas engine in Volt is actually a low compression engine---10.5 to 1 in fact.(Prius is 13 to 1, BTW)
High test fuel at 91 octane is required to attain better combustion in such a low compression power plant.
That same engine will not be quite as efficient with regular 87 octane fuel with 10% ethanol.
As regards the "Automatic" timing issue--this feature has been around for years, and has been a routine component of virtually every conventional vehicle engine, ever.(Normally called a "vacuum advance, except now it's a component of the computerized ignition control system)
It will help compensate for low octane fuel, but it doesn't detect change in octane directly.
It's because the engine has to work a bit harder to get power from the lower octane fuel and the ignition control advances timing accordingly.
Luvmyvolt is definitely a confused individual.
You would not be wise to take everything he says as gospel.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7164 Oct 21, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust. A fragile commodity.
People's assertions about one car or another aren't an indication.
Their actions are.
I trust others here to not cross a line.
I follow that caveat as well.
You have crossed the line. Often.
Your actions are despicable.
Nope, not me. I have never crossed a line. Now you on the other hand cross lines constantly and you know it. Look at you now, troll mania. Volt is a great car and you know that too.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7165 Oct 21, 2013
Wait a minute!!! The top of the line, 2014 Prius Plug In will now start at $35,715. Base is $30,000.

The top of the line 2014 Volt starts at $35,000. Base is always about $4,000 less.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2014-toyota-p...

The Prius Plug In only qualifies for $2,500 in federal tax credits, due to it's small battery.

The Volt federal tax credit is $7,500. Making it $5,000 cheaper than the Prius Plug In.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7166 Oct 21, 2013
Once again, poo poo head, the msrp for the 2014 Volt is not $40,000!!! Even Edmunds is trying to tell you to stop lying.

And I paid $29,000 for my Volt. My son payed $24,500 ....$27,500 after taxes, license, et al.

Never met anybody that paid $40,000 for a Volt. And I talk to quite a few owners at our Volt Owners Club Of America.

You just have to lie. You poo poo.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7167 Oct 21, 2013
Went back to where the poo poo head's other persona got deleted and he came back as poo poo head.

He has yet to submit one link for our perusal. He admits that he posts his opinions.

Opinions and poo. That's all he has.

I'm still waiting for you to provide a link that says that the Volt battery will die in 4 to 5 years.

Also waiting for a link that says that the Volt "engine" uses premium because it is weak.

Also awaiting a link that shows the Volt msrp at $40,000.

I showed you that the gas generator uses premium for more efficiency. I showed you that the battery should last at least 200,000 miles. I showed you that the msrp is $35,000.

No more poo. No more poo. No more poo.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7168 Oct 21, 2013
The Great Grandstander, Luvmyself (oops. Luvmyvolt) is bound and determined to "shoot down" all his detractors.
Unfortunately, his "Shooter" is either out of bullets, or his aim sucks.
Looks like Luvmyself (oops there I go again--Luvmyvolt) really should get himself another "Bull--Shooter"!
The "Bull --Shooter" he's using doesn't really shoot straight.

Facts.....
Volt's gas engine is a weak, 10.5 to 1 compression little mill which mandates high octane (91 octane premium) fuel in order to be at its most efficient.
It doesn't tolerate regular (87 octane + ethanol) fuel at all.
Luvmyself (sorry, Luvmyvolt) compares a high end Prius MSRP with a base priced Volt MSRP in order to claim Volt is competitive pricewise.
He also claims Volt batteries will last forever, when the only proof of that is a vague claim by him and the automaker. Nobody really knows how long Volt's battery will last at this stage. Only time will tell.
Luvmyvolt also claims that some of my posts have been " deleted". This is not true. To date, not one--none--of my posts have ever been deleted. He is hopelessly confusing me with another poster.
Desperation moves by a hopelessly confused individual.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7169 Oct 21, 2013
Don't pooh pooh your situation. It's bad as prius ev sales.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7170 Oct 21, 2013
I challenge anyone to refute any of the points in my post, above.
Facts only will be acceptable.
Opinions and personal insults are invalid.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7171 Oct 21, 2013
Facts

Volt's gas engine has 84 net HP, and 92 ft/pounds torque.
It is mandated for premium fuel only, because its low 10.5 to 1 compression ratio does not tolerate lower octane fuels with ethanol.
By today's standards, that's a pretty puny engine.

There is no proof that Volt batteries will last for claimed periods. The technology used by Volt has been in the public domain for only three years. It's simply too early to substantiate claims.

In comparing MSRPs, Luvmyvolt has consistently used "loaded up" prices for Prius Plug-In, versus base prices for Volt. If he compared them both equally, price differences would be close to $10k.

References to any of my posts being deleted are false and deliberately misleading. That has never happened as long as I've been participating in these forums. This cannot be refuted under any circumstances. Those who opine different are lying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Original Xhorse Mini VCI techstream FW 2.0.4 vs... 4 hr Ambrosio 1
AUTOPHIX OM123 OBDII EOBD CAN code reader read ... Wed car-diagnostic-tool 1
OBDSTAR F102 Nissan Pin Code Reader Key Program... Tue Spencer5 5
Foxwell NT510 has good success with BMW multisy... Tue lalaura 1
VAG CAN PRO VCP V5.5.1 Clone less than 50$ Tue lalaura 3
The Newest Version V4.3 SuperOBD SKP-900 car ke... Aug 22 auto engineer 2
SKP-900 V4.2 Update information (will release s... Aug 21 shawnbem 2
More from around the web