Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11783 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7092 Oct 19, 2013
Root wrote:
Some people have gotten over 50 miles electric in their Volts.
Don't get him wrong ... he likes the Volt.

He still is calling bonafide links to real costs and credits fuzzy math. He can't dispute them, so he poo poo's them. I think I'll rename him poo poo head.

Fact is, a 2014 Volt can cost as low as $26,700. The average Volt driver will save about $1,200 a year. Who can't afford that?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7093 Oct 19, 2013
Over Priced Cruze wrote:
<quoted text>
Where talking about 2013 and welfare for the Volt, try to stay focused and on topic!
You poor uneducated person. You don't even know that the Volt didn't get a dime of the subsidies.

GM got the subsidies for any car that it manufactures that is a plug in. That also means the ELR, the Spark, Via motors and the Volt.

Those taxes signed in by G. Bush in 1992. There have been no more taxes collected since for those subsidies.

And by the way ... every other manufacturer making plug ins also gets a piece of that subsidy.

In the mean time, the average gas car driver has reaped over $6,000 in subsidy savings at the pump. My Volt is at $12.

I am focused. I am on topic.

A challenge. Prove me wrong. Telling a lie loud enough and long enough doesn't cut it around here.

Please provide links that prove that manufacturers of electric cars are still getting subsidies.

In the meantime, here is a link that proves that the total subsidies ... for every car manufacturer ... for every car ever built until the end of the world ... is only $6.5 billion. Your share? Were you old enough to pay taxes in 1992, you share would have been $28 if you made $50,000. That was a big salary in 1992.

http://www.foxnews.com/topics/taxes/electric-...

And by the way ... this is a Fox News web site.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7094 Oct 19, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
A few more "Real World facts about Volt.....
(1) Some dealers are applying for the $7500 tax credit themselves and selling essentially brand new Volts as used vehicles.
(2) The Voltís weak gasoline engine requires premium fuel and achieves less fuel economy than a great many conventional vehicles with more flexible and powerful engines that burn regular fuel.
(3) Repair costs for the Volt greatly exceed conventional vehicles in the same general class, because they are so complex and overengineered. Recently a report noted extremely high repair costs for a Volt involved in an accident.$14,000 and 9 weeks in the shop because of parts scarcity.
(4) The Voltís real world electric range in real world driving conditions is apparently about 25-30 miles. No one knows how long a Volt battery will last or precisely how much it will cost, but GM has never quoted a replacement cost less than $8000.00óabout 20% of the Voltís MSRP.
(5) Even if the Volt managed 200 MPG in a combination of electric/gas-powered driving, it would be virtually impossible for anyone to break even in fuel savings when compared with the cost of even high-end conventionally powered high mileage vehicles. With more realistic mileage figures, it would take about two decades.
1. Dealerships cashing in on credits were stopped by GM over 2 years ago. Once again you use ancient facts. Your other persona ... voice of reality tried doing that also.

2. The engine is not weak. Premium is used because the spark from premium is bigger than regular gas. Thus, more range is accomplished. The generator would run the Volt fine with regular. It just wouldn't be as efficient. The cost of using premium is made up by the efficiency of premium.

http://gm-volt.com/2010/07/30/why-the-volt-re...

The generator is not an engine. You have that wrong. It is part of a generator. In case you didn't know, generators consist of an electric motor and a gas motor. Combined, they generate electricity. The Volt's gas portion of the generator is never connected to the wheels. Only the main electric motor. The second electric motor acts as part of the generator when the car is in gas mode. It also combines with the bigger electric motor when in E mode. Awesome engineering. That is why BMW engineers had to somehow copy it without breaking the patent laws.

3. You quote an article about a Volt that was severely damaged. The average Volt, in the average accident (body & fender) stays in the shop the same amount of time as any other car. Also, GM gives you a loaner free during this time.

4. A Volt's 60 mile range.

A Volt's 48 mile range. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

A Volt's 46 mile range. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

My 50 mile range in December ... cooler weather. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

My 45+ mile range 2 days ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

5. My son paid $27,000 out the door. OUT THE DOOR. He saves $325 a month on gas, including his charging costs. In 5 years, his Volt will cost $8,000. Even if you could buy an $8,000 car, you would have to park it in the driveway and never use gas for 5 years to stay even with my son. He has driven 12,000 miles on 15 gallons of gas. That's $60 worth of gas. He pays 45 cents for charging at night. That's 13 kwh's at 45 cents per.

Please provide any link you can offer proving point 5 in your favor. We are tired of your ranting and just slinging crap to see what sticks.

In the meantime, go to 50 seconds in this video. This driver has driven his Volt almost 80,000 trouble free miles in 2 years. He has saved over $10,000 when compared to his old car. That's in just 2 years. Probably less. That means, in just 2 more years, he will have saved $20,000.

Fuzzy math? Fuzzy slinging!!!

Keep trying, I enjoy shooting you down.

Awaiting your link.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7095 Oct 19, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
A few more "Real World facts about Volt.....
(1) Some dealers are applying for the $7500 tax credit themselves and selling essentially brand new Volts as used vehicles.
(2) The Voltís weak gasoline engine requires premium fuel and achieves less fuel economy than a great many conventional vehicles with more flexible and powerful engines that burn regular fuel.
(3) Repair costs for the Volt greatly exceed conventional vehicles in the same general class, because they are so complex and overengineered. Recently a report noted extremely high repair costs for a Volt involved in an accident.$14,000 and 9 weeks in the shop because of parts scarcity.
(4) The Voltís real world electric range in real world driving conditions is apparently about 25-30 miles. No one knows how long a Volt battery will last or precisely how much it will cost, but GM has never quoted a replacement cost less than $8000.00óabout 20% of the Voltís MSRP.
(5) Even if the Volt managed 200 MPG in a combination of electric/gas-powered driving, it would be virtually impossible for anyone to break even in fuel savings when compared with the cost of even high-end conventionally powered high mileage vehicles. With more realistic mileage figures, it would take about two decades.
1. Dealerships cashing in on credits were stopped by GM over 2 years ago. Once again you use ancient facts.

2. The engine is not weak. Premium is used because the spark from premium is bigger than regular. Thus, more range is accomplished. The generator would run the Volt fine with regular. It just wouldn't be as efficient. The cost of using premium is made up by the efficiency of premium.

http://gm-volt.com/2010/07/30/why-the-volt-re...

The generator is not an engine. You have that wrong. It is part of a generator. In case you didn't know, generators consist of an electric motor and a gas motor. Combined, they generate electricity. The Volt's generator is never connected to the wheels. Only the main electric motor. The second electric motor acts as part of the generator when the car is in gas mode. It also combines with the bigger electric motor when in E mode. Awesome engineering. That is why BMW engineers had to somehow copy it without breaking the patent laws.

3. You quote an article about a Volt that was severly damaged. The averege Volt, in the average accident (body & fender) stays in the shop the same amount of time as any other car. Also, GM gives you a loaner free during this time.

4. A Volt's 60 mile range.

A Volt's 48 mile range. http://www.youtube.com/watch...
A Volt's 46 mile range. http://www.youtube.com/watch...
My 50 mile range in December ... cooler weather. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

My 45+ mile range 2 days ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch...

5. My son paid $27,000 out the door. OUT THE DOOR. He saves $325 a month on gas, including his charging costs. In 5 years, his Volt will cost $8,000. Even if you could buy an $8,000 car, you would have to park it in the driveway and never use gas for 5 years to stay even with my son. He has driven 12,000 miles on 15 gallons of gas. That's $60 worth of gas. He pays 45 cents for charging at night. That's 13 kwh's at 45 cents per.

Please provide any link you can offer proving point 5 in your favor. We are tired of your ranting and just slinging crap to see what sticks.

In the meantime, go to 50 seconds in this video. This driver has driven his Volt almost 80,000 trouble free miles in 2 years. He has saved over $10,000 when compared to his old car. That's in just 2 years. Probably less. That means, in just 2 more years, he will have saved $20,000.

Fuzzy math? Fuzzy slinging!!!

Keep trying, I enjoy shooting you down.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7096 Oct 19, 2013
Some things are worth repeating. AKA, topix went wacko.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7097 Oct 19, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
What ever happened to the discussion we were having about your IP Spoofing tactics Root?
That's more important than trying to defend this unsubstantiated claim of 50 miles on a charge, don't you think?
Are you seriously that much in denial? Root states that some Volt owners are getting 50 miles or more in electric.

Then you say that talking about ip crap is more important than the subject at hand?

Then I provide several links to show real world range for real world Volts.

That means it is substantiated.

You want to get of the subject pretty fast when you are stomped, eh?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7098 Oct 19, 2013
Hey poo poo head.

Go to 50 seconds on this video. this man has driven his Volt 79,000+ trouble free miles in less than 2 years.

He has saved over $10,000 in 2 years over his old car. That means that in 2 more years, his saving will be $20,000.

Your hatred is such that you have to stoop down to the crap slingers world. You post stuff that you make up.

Fact ... the Volt has been named most loved car 3 years in a row by J.D. Powers. That kind of stuff just makes you angry. You can't understand why Volt owners love their car. Instead of honestly trying to find out why ... you sling.

You are now poo poo head.

Go to 50 seconds.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7099 Oct 19, 2013
Once again ... poo poo head ...(and I really don't like posting links more than once. I assume that you are intelligent enough to be able to understand what people say. I guess you are not)

Here is a Volt owner's forum. Many statements of owners reporting their ranges. And these are cars that were built before the battery range was extended.

http://www.plugincars.com/chevy-volt-owners-e...

OK ... poo poo head. I know you won't even read this ... but just in case the impossible happens and you open the link ... look at the picture at the top.

Oh ... and I found another 50 mile range by another owner.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7100 Oct 19, 2013
Forgot the link to the guy that saved $10,000 in two years. Go to 50 seconds.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7101 Oct 19, 2013
Oh .. and by the way ... poo poo head ... if the Chevy Volt costs an arm and a leg to fix ... why are electric car insurance rates lower than most other mid sized cars?

Answer .. because you read somewhere that a Volt that probably should have been totaled was not.

Awaiting your link to said claim. Or is it just more sling?

Why electric cars are safer in crashes in general. Thus leading to lower insurance rates.

Why the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety feels the Volt is a very safe car. They help to set insurance rates.

My insurance rates are lower than my friend's BMW 3. Hmmmm .... it gets 100 mpg better also.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7102 Oct 19, 2013
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7103 Oct 20, 2013
Interesting news....

Bumped into that same chap I met last week who took his Volt to Florida and back.
He had said that his Volt was not the car to use for a long trip like that.
We were at the same pub, and he dropped by our table to say hello.
Asked him how the Volt was doing.
He said he traded the Volt for "something more useful"
Then he said: "Glad I got rid of that pig"!
Exact words.

By the way, why all the whinyposts by Great Grandstander!!
Over two pages of drool!!
Insecurity city!!!

Is the old fella trying to cover up for Root and his IP Spoofing tricks?
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7104 Oct 20, 2013
More interesting news.....

Volt is a bizarre and costly cross between a hybrid and an EV. It has not only all of the hardware and software necessary to allow it to function as a hybrid, but all of the hardware and software to allow it to function as an EV---and as a conventional, gasoline powered vehicle.

Truth be told, GM has designed a vehicle with three times the complexity and repair cost of a conventional vehicle costing only half as much.

Meanwhile, Root, our resident "IP Spoofer", the ever diligent poster of vulgarity and nonsense, soldiers on!!
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7105 Oct 20, 2013
All remarks about Root's IP Spoofing embarrassment aside, it's important to note one critical concern about Volt.

It's a completely new car, and technologically extremely complex.
It's been out on the road for just three years.
Not very many have been sold to date.
The big question now is "What will the long term track record be for Volt?"
In the grand scheme of things, it's early days for this completely new car.
Time will tell.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7106 Oct 20, 2013
I'll never forget the day GM upped the Volt specs to 50 miles. If the prius counterpart got more than 11 miles it would sell more. I remember back in the early days if the Volt some said it would not have been the sales champion year after year, now look.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7107 Oct 20, 2013
Root, what you lack in foresight, you make up for in persistence.
You'e like the Energizer Bunny.
We have to give you credit for that, if nothing else.
But your enthusiastic rhetoric doesn't wash with reality.
It's early days for Volt.
The true test depends on Volt's performance over the long term.
Time will tell.

BTW, it's refreshing to see that you've toned down your IP Spoofing antics.
Truth be told, that's a stupid tactic anyway.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7108 Oct 20, 2013
It was a great day when GM upped the Volt specs to 50 miles. If the prius counterpart got more then 11 miles it might have been able to compete with the Volt back in the early days.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7109 Oct 20, 2013
Recent review for 2013 Volt......

Great Commuter Car But Sticker Shock Prevails

Bottom line: Youíre paying $10,000 (or more) to be green

Even after the federal rebate and the handful of state incentives, a nicely optioned 2013 Chevrolet Volt is going to run about $35,000. A compact Chevrolet Cruze Eco that gets 42 mpg runs about $22,000. It will have more room inside, especially in back, and less green cachet, even the Eco version.
Do the cost benefit calculation and Cruze comes out way ahead.
Still, somebody loves the Volt, because GM sold 23,461 last year--not an earth shaking performance nonetheless. More than half of all Volt sales are now in California, many in response to the HOV lane free pass. That exemption was later ended, in 2011.
It remains to be seen what the longer term portends for Volt.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7110 Oct 20, 2013
Root wrote:
It was a great day when GM upped the Volt specs to 50 miles. If the prius counterpart got more then 11 miles it might have been able to compete with the Volt back in the early days.
My great day was actually several days.
When I closed traps on someone was deeply involved in IT Spoofing.
Caught Root red handed. Three times.
Three different times, three different geographic locations, all using my name or a vulgar interpretation of my name.
Naughty, naughty, Root!

So much for Root's integrity in these forums!!
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7111 Oct 20, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get him wrong ...I think I'll rename him poo poo head.
At your age, you shouldn't complain about others when the vast majority of your posts (like those of Root's) are silly and santimonious taunts, often accompanied with crude insults, and which contribute little of any consequence.
In other words, if you choose to post frivolous and vexatious drivel, stop preaching to others about sins you attribute to them.
Sorry if you find that irritating, but it's a reality.
You're as big a sinner as those you chastise.
You fail to realize that your sanctimonious conduct merely aggravates the situation.
Expecting all dialog to always be on your terms is unrealistic, and foolishly arrogant.
In spite of your persistent efforts to dominate, you're simply wasting your time.
You would be wise to heed this advice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MPPS V21 Locked! Attention please!!! 2 hr lalaura 1
Renault CAN CLIP Latest Version 19 hr lalaura 2
Where can I buy Tech Tool 2.05 and Dev2tool at ... Sun tuita 2
Original Xhorse VVDI2 BMW Key Programmer Feedback Aug 18 tuita 3
VVDI2 Xhorse - Where to get the original? Aug 17 lalaura 1
News Joe's Crab Shack apologizes for racially-charge... (Mar '16) Aug 16 Chauntyll Allen 27
Buy 2017 New V1.70 Opel OP-COM 2016 Aug 16 OPCOM 2016 3
More from around the web