Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 10542 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7071 Oct 18, 2013
I like the way the hater called my posts presumptuous. Yet, I call him out with facts. Page 315, post 6879, he calls real world, hard figures "fuzzy" I had to post the links once again to prove to him that those figures are exact. 2014 Volt msrp is $36,680. CA rebate is up to $2,500. Fed tax credit is up to $7,500. Final price, as low as $26,680.

But wait ... there is more ... the presumptuous one ... aka hater ... admitted that he is being presumptuous ..........
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7072 Oct 18, 2013
The hater stated that the Volt battery would die in 4 to 5 years. I called him out at least 5 times for a link while providing links for him proving that the Volt battery should last about 200,000 miles and still have 75% charge left.

I kept telling him that I was awaiting the link. He answered:

"Hey doofus, that was an opinion.
My opinion.
Something wrong with that?
If you believe there is something wrong with it, then you'd better take a hard look at some of your impromptu and presumptuous remarks!"

page 323, post 7039

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't opinions presumptuous? Especially when they are not based on fact? I mean ... I am more than willing to give him another month to find that link. The battery will die in 4 to 5 years?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7073 Oct 18, 2013
Once again hater ... you believe that I only get 35 miles per charge. You believe that my battery should be should be down to about 25 - 28 miles by now.

Once again ... I had a 45 mile range day yesterday.

Explain that!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7074 Oct 18, 2013
I love this guy. He calls his Volt Dusty. In this particular video, I love how he recalls the good old days when he could drive 100 miles on $3 worth of gas in his 1970 Camaro.

But he has deja vu because now he can drive 100 miles on $3 once again. 43 years later.

What an awesome car.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7075 Oct 18, 2013
Headline:

Chevy Volt Wins J.D Power APPEAL Award for 3rd Consecutive Year; Volt is Still Only Plug-In to Ever Win

From the article:

"It should be noted that no other plug-in vehicle has ever topped J.D Powersí APPEAL study in any vehicle segment. So, the Volt is supreme here."

Once again ... IN ANY VEHICLE SEGMENT. The Volt tops all cars for 3 years in a row.

J.D. Power explains how they rate cars in this article.

http://insideevs.com/chevy-volt-wins-j-d-powe...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7076 Oct 18, 2013
Here are a few Volt owners who routinely get 43 - 50 miles on their charges.

Note, these are 2011 & 2012 Volts. That was before the higher range 2013's.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-...
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7077 Oct 19, 2013
An usual, the Great Grandstander prattles on and on about how superior he considers himself for purchasing a Volt.
Fuzzy math, presumptuous accusations, distortion, inference, and homophobic personal insults characterize his incessant whinyposts.

To those who subscribe to his self serving hype, I say this....
Iíve said many times, if you want a Volt, being fully informed of itís substantial downside, and if you can afford it, by all means, buy one for each day of the week if you like. I hope you enjoy it/them. However, for the average car buyer, the Volt remains a car costing far too much and delivering far too little. For the American taxpayer, the Volt-and GMĖare a disaster.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7078 Oct 19, 2013
Some people have gotten over 50 miles electric in their Volts.
Over Priced Cruze

Trumbull, CT

#7079 Oct 19, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
News flash to haters. The subsidies for the Volt were collected in 1992, when George Bush Sr. signed the law allowing subsidies for all electrics.
Do we have to go through that again? You childish people keep repeating the same lies over and over.
Did you know that since 1992, gas car drivers have received more than $6,000 in gas breaks at the pump via subsidies for big oil. That's every single gas car driver.
The subsidies for the Volt is at $12 per car and falling every time one is sold.
I can't stand liars.
Where talking about 2013 and welfare for the Volt, try to stay focused and on topic!
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7080 Oct 19, 2013
Root wrote:
Some people have gotten over 50 miles electric in their Volts.
Let's call a spade a spade.
Yes, "some people" report getting 50 miles.
So far, these reports are unsubstantiated--primarily hearsay.
A more realistic "average" is in the 35 to 45 mile range, according to documented evidence and professional road test reports.
Needless to say, if there's any truth to those 50 mile reports, that's only 25 miles there and back.
So unless it's a one way trip, your trip on battery alone doesn't give you a lot of range.
I'm not sure that's anything to boast about.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7081 Oct 19, 2013
More truths about Volt--issues not talked about by the pro Volt crowd...

In fact, Volt is a bizarre and costly cross between a hybrid and an EV. It has not only all of the hardware and software necessary to allow it to function as a hybrid, but all of the hardware and software to allow it to function as an EV---and as a conventional, gasoline powered vehicle.
Thatís right:
Truth be told, GM has designed a vehicle with three times the complexity and repair cost of a conventional vehicle costing only half as much.
Who could possibly resist that siren song?
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7082 Oct 19, 2013
A few more "Real World facts about Volt.....

(1) Some dealers are applying for the $7500 tax credit themselves and selling essentially brand new Volts as used vehicles.

(2) The Voltís weak gasoline engine requires premium fuel and achieves less fuel economy than a great many conventional vehicles with more flexible and powerful engines that burn regular fuel.

(3) Repair costs for the Volt greatly exceed conventional vehicles in the same general class, because they are so complex and overengineered. Recently a report noted extremely high repair costs for a Volt involved in an accident.$14,000 and 9 weeks in the shop because of parts scarcity.

(4) The Voltís real world electric range in real world driving conditions is apparently about 25-30 miles. No one knows how long a Volt battery will last or precisely how much it will cost, but GM has never quoted a replacement cost less than $8000.00óabout 20% of the Voltís MSRP.

(5) Even if the Volt managed 200 MPG in a combination of electric/gas-powered driving, it would be virtually impossible for anyone to break even in fuel savings when compared with the cost of even high-end conventionally powered high mileage vehicles. With more realistic mileage figures, it would take about two decades.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7083 Oct 19, 2013
Its absolutely wonderful to see such a complex car going 50 plus miles. I bet if the prius counterpart went over 11 miles on a charge it would sell more.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7084 Oct 19, 2013
Root wrote:
Its absolutely wonderful to see such a complex car going 50 plus miles. I bet if the prius counterpart went over 11 miles on a charge it would sell more.
Give it a break Root.
You know those exaggerated claims of "50 miles on a charge" are unsubstantiated.
And your comment about Volt being a " complex car" isn't entirely without weakness either.
That same "complexity" is what makes Volt a hugely expensive vehicle to maintain.
Be honest--even you must admit Volt has a couple of significant downsides.
It ain't quite as "awesome" as you would have us believe.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7085 Oct 19, 2013
Such a great car, I'm impressed with the people that can achieve 50 miles on a charge. What a complex machine. I bet if the prius counterpart wasn't rated at 11 miles it would sell better.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7086 Oct 19, 2013
Root wrote:
Such a great car, I'm impressed with the people that can achieve 50 miles on a charge. What a complex machine. I bet if the prius counterpart wasn't rated at 11 miles it would sell better.
Unfortunately the claims of 50 miles on a charge are unsubstantiated.
Hearsay?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7087 Oct 19, 2013
Iíll always remember the day GM upped the specs of the Volt to 50 miles. I was happy when this happened. What a great car.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#7088 Oct 19, 2013
Root wrote:
What ever happened to the discussion we were having about your IP Spoofing tactics Root?
That's more important than trying to defend this unsubstantiated claim of 50 miles on a charge, don't you think?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#7089 Oct 19, 2013
Yes, when GM upped the spec for the Volt to 50 miles on an electric charge, it was a great day.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#7091 Oct 19, 2013
Root wrote:
Once again. Did you see that post of his? 25 to 30 miles!!! My 45 mile range just a couple of days ago. In a two year old Volt.

I was willing to give him credit that he claimed my Volt should only be getting much more than he now claims. Now he claims that my 2 year old volt should only be getting 22 miles. He hates facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
North West Autos Blackburn 2 hr jean 2
North West Autos Blackburn Used Cars 3 hr jean 1
What is the most reliable engine ever made? (Aug '08) Thu Go Blue Forever 200
(Fixed)BMW 428i 2014 Left side xenon not fire Thu uobd2 1
Methods on Finding out IKEYCUTTER Cutting Code (Jan '15) Wed leticia 3
Help? Aug 31 Colorado05 1
auto glass repair and replacement (May '12) Aug 31 Regina Peterson 15
More from around the web