Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 Read more: taintedgreen.com 10,021

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Read more
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6869 Oct 13, 2013
The Volt's battery is one of it's most unique aspects and a major selling point. The Volt's battery temperature is regulated and its usable life spec is set at 70%. Currently GM mules are well over 200k miles and still running above the 70% metric. If anyone ever needs to replace the battery below that threshold, the car should be in excess of 300k.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#6870 Oct 13, 2013
Unfortunately, batteries are the weakest link in the chain.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6871 Oct 13, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, Blowhard. You got the wrong guy.
Point your petty vindictiveness somewhere else.
I don't do the Faux ISP stupidity. Period. never have, and never will.
In fact, yesterday was the first time in three months that I've even posted here.
I've only looked in occasionally during that period. No posts. None! Nada!
(In fact, my wife and I have spent the past three months in Cleveland, Ohio, where she's been treated for a deadly form of cancer. Ever heard of Sarcoma? Internet oneupmanship has not been of any concern during that stressful ordeal)
I must say, your comment about where people "come from" , in reality applies directly to yourself.
For your info, I have no idea who your alter ego "Dolt" is, nor do I agree with those posts by the one calling himself "Voice Of Reality"
In fact, I felt that much of what those two posted about you were way over the top and should have been removed. That kind of ugly nonsense has never been my style.
But you responded in kind to those cretins, and I fail to understand why yours weren't removed too.
Your love and credos about your silly little car now go beyond reality, and the only term applying to what you're doing is " Grandstanding"--a childlike activity that someone your age shouldn't be involved in.
I liked your other Canadian persona better.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6872 Oct 13, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
Unfortunately, batteries are the weakest link in the chain.
You want to have an intelligent conversation ... about cars I guess ... cuz ... this is a car forum. Now ... you stated that the batteries will go bad in 4 to 5 years.

First of all. You state that the 8 year warranty will be trumped by the 100,000 miles. That's 25,000 miles per year. So, in one year, the battery should be down to about 1/4 range. That's a 30 mile range, on average. So, my battery, at 14,200 miles + should be down to about 32 or 33. Haven't gotten anything under 40 this whole year. That included winter. My average is 45 all summer long. So, I take it that the battery will fail all at once. Is that your supposition?

Secondly, you don't qualify your statements. I present you with a challenge. I will give you two days, or whatever it takes, to provide at least one link from an electric car, l.i. battery expert who states that the Volt battery will only last 4 to 5 years. Awaiting.

Thirdly, you obviously didn't read the link I provided. Jack Rickard does not work for GM, or for any car manufacturer. He has more expertise in this field than most. He explains why the Volt's battery will last 5,000 full charges. You should try enlightening yourself before you make a statement. Or, once having made a statement that is wrong on all levels, you should at least see why people disagree with you.

From Jack Rickard's post:

"The pack as configured is rated at 5000 cycles. That is fully charge to fully discharged and back to fully charged"

"All the lithium ion cells work best in the middle and worst at the extremes. A FULLY CHARGED cell is not necessarily a good thing in such cells. The ideal would be a 50% charged cell. If you would charge to 51% state of charge (SOC) and discharge to 49% SOC, the battery would essentially last for 100 years. All lithium ion cells are COMPLETELY intolerant of overcharge. It destroys them immediately. And they are COMPLETELY intolerant of overdischarge as well.

But in the case of the Volt, you just do not have to worry about it. They've taken care of it for you. "

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php...

You see, l.i. batteries can last forever if kept within a specific range. The Volt's battery can not be fully charged and can not be fully discharged. It is also kept within 10 degrees of ambient temperature.

Again, from the link:

"So you see to maximize warranty exposure, the Volt ALREADY limits you to 80% at the top and 35% at the bottom. The result is you don't have to worry with it."

Awaiting your proof that the Volt's battery will not last 4 to 5 years.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6873 Oct 13, 2013
Headline: Expensive Hybrid Car Battery Replacements Are Unnecessary

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transpor...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6874 Oct 13, 2013
From the link:

"For example, 50 million battery cells have been produced since 2004 in previous-generation production Ford hybrid vehicles such as the Escape Hybrid and Fusion Hybrid. Some of these have been put to use in taxi fleets in such cities as San Francisco and New York, with some taxi vehicles attaining more than 250,000 miles individually and taxi fleets in California alone attaining a total of nearly 100 million miles.

Of all Ford production hybrid vehicles produced to date, only six battery cells have failed of the 50 million that were put into use, the company said."

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/12/fordk...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6875 Oct 13, 2013
Leagle Beagle wrote:
Volt's battery warranty is 8 years--100,000 miles.
Chances are the 100K mile limit will trump the 8 year factor.
So it's not inconceivable that battery failure could occur within a 4 or 5 year period.
In spite of grandstander's boasts, the battery used in EVs is their biggest weakness.
The Volt's battery warranty is for anything under 75% of full charge. That means that the battery is warranted to still have a 30 mile or better charge. Anything under will be cause for replacement.

It is not a warranty for full failure, as you assume. Anything under that 75% is a failure to GM. The car can still drive 29 miles or less, but the warranty will replace the battery.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6876 Oct 13, 2013
2014 Chevy Volt MSRP, as little as 26,685.

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.ht...

Considering that the average Volt driver will drive 13,500 miles per year, 37 miles per day, very little gas will be used.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Using a 30 mpg gas car and $3.50 per gallon as the price of gas for comparison, the average Volt owner will save $1,575 if no gas is used. Let's make that $1,400. Although $175 is a lot of gas usage for a Volt.

So, in 5 years, the price for that 2014 Volt will be down to $19,685.$16,885 after 7 years.

Giving the hater the benefit of the doubt, the battery will be dead in 7 1/2 years. By that time, the battery replacement will cost about $2,500 -$3,000, bringing the price to about $19,000.

That $18,000, 30 mpg car will cost $11,800 to operate in that same time span. This brings the cost of that car to $29,000.

That's $10,000 more than the Volt .... IF THE BATTERY FAILS ... which it won't.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#6877 Oct 14, 2013
Lithium Ion battery technology isn't foolproof by any means.
Today's EV batteries are without any doubt, the achilles heel for EV vehicles.
That weakness will be eliminated when Fuel Cell powered vehicles come on line.
Those interested in "green" vehicles would be wise to wait for that next gen technology.
By 2015, today's technology will be obsolete.
Even the Grandstander knows that.
So does JJFADS and all his pseudo posters.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#6878 Oct 14, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
I liked your other Canadian persona better.
Understandable that you would use that tactic.
You are clearly suspicious and negative by nature, and have been all along.
As well you've never taken kindly to dealing with honest folks.
You and truth are mutually exclusive.
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#6879 Oct 14, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
2014 Chevy Volt MSRP, as little as 26,685.
http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.ht...
Considering that the average Volt driver will drive 13,500 miles per year, 37 miles per day, very little gas will be used.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm
Using a 30 mpg gas car and $3.50 per gallon as the price of gas for comparison, the average Volt owner will save $1,575 if no gas is used. Let's make that $1,400. Although $175 is a lot of gas usage for a Volt.
So, in 5 years, the price for that 2014 Volt will be down to $19,685.$16,885 after 7 years.
Giving the hater the benefit of the doubt, the battery will be dead in 7 1/2 years. By that time, the battery replacement will cost about $2,500 -$3,000, bringing the price to about $19,000.
That $18,000, 30 mpg car will cost $11,800 to operate in that same time span. This brings the cost of that car to $29,000.
That's $10,000 more than the Volt .... IF THE BATTERY FAILS ... which it won't.
A classic example of what is commonly known as "Fuzzy Math"!!
Or less commonly known as "Fudged Figures".
Calling others "Haters" is a pretty feeble excuse for such "Creative Accounting".
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#6880 Oct 14, 2013
Question...

If Lithium Ion batteries (such as used by Volt) are so great, then why do they require sophisticated cooling systems and robust steel protection to keep them from catching fire when damaged?
Leagle Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#6881 Oct 14, 2013
A chap I met the other day who owns a Volt told me about a trip he made from here (SW Ontario) to his winter home in Florida--with his Volt.
This is a round trip of about 2400 miles.
His comments were this...
"My Volt is a good "around town" car, but I'll never take it to Florida again."
His fuel economy was no better than a normal economy car, and he was constantly worried about battery charging.
Volt may be a decent commuter car, but it certainly isn't the right choice for travelling.
Leagle Beagle

Toronto, Canada

#6882 Oct 14, 2013
Lithium Ion battery technology is foolproof.
Today's EV batteries are without any doubt, the best thing going EV vehicles.
That strength weakness will be even better when Fuel Cell powered vehicles come on line.
Those interested in "green" vehicles would be wise to continue driving a Volt or Prius ev.
By 2015, today's technology will be even better.
So does JJFADS and all his pseudo posters.
Leagle Beagle

Toronto, Canada

#6883 Oct 14, 2013
A chap I met the other day who owns a Volt told me about a trip he made from here (SW Ontario) to his winter home in Florida--with his Volt.
"My Volt is a good "around town" car, and I love taking it to Florida.
His fuel economy was better than a normal economy car, and he was never worried about battery charging.
Volt may be an excellent commuter car, and it certainly is the right choice for travelling. I am the Mad Hater.
Leagle Beagle

Toronto, Canada

#6884 Oct 14, 2013
Answer…

Lithium Ion batteries (such as used by all the EV’s) are so great, because they require sophisticated cooling systems and robust steel protection to keep the driver safe and the battery lasts for years and years.
I am the Mad Hater.
Leagle Beagle

Toronto, Canada

#6885 Oct 14, 2013
Lithium Ion battery technology is foolproof.
Today's EV batteries are without any doubt, the best thing going for EV vehicles.
That strength will be even better when Fuel Cell powered vehicles come on line.
Those interested in "green" vehicles would be wise to continue driving a Volt or Prius ev.
By 2015, today's technology will be even better.
So does JJFADS and all his pseudo posters. I love you.
Be Advised

Windsor, Canada

#6886 Oct 14, 2013
Posts 6682, 6683, 6684, and 6685 are bogus.
They're done by the resident chameleon using a proxy server.
His location is known--Shreveport, LA, and his most common username is "Root".
Unable to deal with contradiction, this clown uses juvenile tactics like this as a defence.
For some unknown twisted and perverse reason, he goes to extremes like this when certain comments arise and he cannot deal with them civilly and maturely.
Pay no attention to his petty politics.
Real Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#6887 Oct 14, 2013
"My Volt is a good "around town" car, but I'll never take it to Florida again."
His fuel economy was no better than a normal economy car, and he was constantly worried about battery charging.
Volt may be a decent commuter car, but it certainly isn't the right choice for travelling.
Real Beagle

Windsor, Canada

#6888 Oct 14, 2013
The story about the chap who took his Volt to Florida is real.
His comments are real.
The reality is real about Volt being a good commuter car, but not one to take on a 2400 mile trip.
Posts 6682, 6683, 6684, and 6685 are phony.
They were posted by a phony.
The resident Chameleon.
Uses any number of faux ISPs.
Most common username is Root.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
auto glass repair and replacement (May '12) 5 hr calebhart54 11
toyota recalls 850,000 trucks due to frame rot! (Apr '08) 23 hr Echo the Negro 204
News Volvo Cars plans to open its first US plant Mar 30 Go Blue Forever 1
News Ohio mom pleads not guilty to decapitating her ... Mar 30 GrantL 2
News Photo of kids on Vietnam memorial angers many Mar 30 GrantL 4
News Red Bull threatens to leave Formula One Mar 30 stewart scott 6
How much is the price bus ticket from Rome to V... Mar 30 romeairportshuttle 1
More from around the web