Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 | Posted by: JJFADS | Full story: taintedgreen.com

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Comments
6,121 - 6,140 of 9,208 Comments Last updated 10 hrs ago
James

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

JJFADS wrote:
Blown head gaskets, missing thermostats from the factory and steering wheels that fall apart in the often soft and silky hands of its typical owner aside, in my opinion the Elantra faux pas came with the GT. The oriental print on this car, to me, is just unforgiving. The hatch which is a GT stridently screams sully on ones dignity. Shall I say the men from yesterday still holding a pair large enough to satisfy any woman that is, the men form yesterday whom remember what a manís car needs to be have no need to read further.
The GT AKA Grand Touring is traditionally a fast, very comfortable and generally exceptionally powerful high style car designed to lay the thunder down and chomp the miles in heart throbbing passion, so says that lady in your lap. Did someone say MPG in this beast? Pack up the shirts for a man size what and forget about the Biggie Size, New York New York welcomes this type of man with open arms.
While the anemic growling four banger mill churns up a heart throbbing 148 HP, even the faintest of heart wonít faint at such thunder. Oh, and as we found out last year, your mileage may vary.
Go with the Volt if MPG is your desire.
This is good press.
To be honest we havenít had any of the smoking issues but agree with your rather descriptive take on the GT as a whole. While it will growl if you rev it, it will not go.
Gm man

Downers Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

James wrote:
<quoted text>To be honest we havenít had any of the smoking issues but agree with your rather descriptive take on the GT as a whole. While it will growl if you rev it, it will not go.
Detroit has this problem........lots of rev with little engineering knowledge. Take the Ford 1/2 ton trucks. They designed a truck than installed an underpowered, overpriced drivetrain under it....business as usual. Ecoboost means they could not compete with the Toyata Tundra V8.....nothing new. The truck that DID change it all. First truck with(in 2007 and today):SRS airbags(surround), 381hp(501hp with turbo), 401 FPT(550 with Turbo) VVT, racing exhaust, 6 speed tranny(with 4 engine braking gears), 10.5" ringgear, 4:30 rearend, 13.9" rotors with double calipers, 18" wheels all standard!...that should cover it. You have been schooled!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

James wrote:
Ironically my wife bough a Hyundai Elantra last year and averages about 26 MPG combined, far from the advertised lines in their commercials. After research we found they were forced to roll back their ratings last November. Overall while not a driverís car it can be used as a typical lower line commuter for young families or first time buyers and those looking to shuttle four from point A to B. Two issues have come to fruition as of late. The first, a rattle in the front-passenger door caused by a loose wire, was sorted during a dealer service. The second, excessive wear on the steering wheel manifested by the peeling of the outer layer of coating from the top section, was not. The dealer told us the steering wheel was not covered by Hyundai's ďbumper to bumperĒ warranty. While some have experienced a faulty infotainment system with the Bluetooth not connecting automatically, we have not. Our main ergonomic gripe is the lack of adjustable lumbar support but they have finally made that available for 2013. Overall we give this car a rating of four out of ten.
I posted this before. It is a pay back by Hyundai to owners for over inflated mpg claims. Check it out.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/02/busin...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all that much, except for great BBQ I am not much of a pork eater. In the last five years or so, I have gotten on a kick for Chicken Stir Fry. We do use beef and pork at times, however, chicken is more to my liking. I had the distinct displeasure of being in your state to do business and found out the hard way that your state was one of only two that do not have any Wells Fargo branches. Had to drive to (I believe Maryland Texas) to find a bank to get the money for my business.
By the way, I have not thought about a budget for many years, not rich but comfortable enough to purchase what I want and things that a couple of weeks later wonder why I purchased.
As for a Volt being a money saving vehicle, I take exception, any vehicle that you start with a $24K increase in price takes a long time in electric only driving to become equal and then pass a $17K car that gets 35MPG.
As for the Elantra Owner who gets 26 combined MPG from his Elantra it all depends on what type of driving you do and how you use the gas and brakes. I will be the first to admit that the 40MPG was excessive and unrealistic, however, Hyundai did come up with a fund to supplement owners of Elantras rebates for proven difference is gas mileage when driven properly.
You can look it up by going to The Elantra Club on the net.
My son paid $24.5k for his 2013. Saving $3,600 a year. Park your Elantra for 2 years and don't use a drop of gas and he will still eat you up in those 2 years.

Use gas and it brings it down to 1 1/2 years.

Feeling stupid?
Mykeisha

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

People will still buy Toyota. The trust in the government is beyond awful.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Volt owners sure do save the big bucks!
Root

Romeoville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Agree, the volt sold 2 units last quarter...lots of big bucks saved!!!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

This is the "Voice of Reality".

"You didn't pay what you really paid for your car.

You paid what I say you paid. It's verifiable."
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Oh my. There were only 11,100 BMW 7's sold in 2012. There were 200,000 Elantra's.

That makes the Elantra 18 times better than a BMW 7.

There were only 8,200 BMW 6's sold.

That means the Elantra is 24 times better than a BMW 6.

What a deal. What a steal.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Read this one more time, limp wrist. Read that last line of this awesome article explaining how the knowledgable engineers at BMW had to use the Volt as their standard when developing the i8. They even paid the project engineer for the Volt to jump ship.

The last line. That's you, limp wrist.

"I think BMW's finest engineers know a little more about what makes the best car, than some U.S. pundit who has never even driven the Volt."

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11451833/1/how...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Oh, and by the way ... in that article .... it mentions that there are 200 patents under the Volt's hood.

How many in your Elantra? Probably 1. For the steering wheel.
Mykeisha

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

The Volt is garbage. End of story.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Hey limp wrist. Pole monkeys make a lot of money in CA because of the 49 hour rule. Anything over 49 hours is double time.

So, currently, pole monkeys are making $80,000 on average throughout CA as their base pay. More in the big cities. That's $38 an hour.

When working in winter, 12 hour days are the norm. That means that, by Thursday morning, they are on double time.

That is 3, 12 hour days remaining, at $76 an hour.

We may be monkeys, but I know it pisses you off. And that makes me happy.

Actually, we called ourselves knuckle draggers. That's what the "educated" lot working in the offices called us.

They couldn't stand us making more money than they did either. In fact, we made more money than their 2nd level managers. They hated us too.

OK ... just thought I'd rub your face in it again. You can call me pole monkey all you want. To me, that's an upgrade from knuckle dragger.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Mykeisha wrote:
The Volt is garbage. End of story.
14,200 MILES. 28 GALLONS OF GAS. 145 MPG WHEN IN FULL ELECTRIC.
MY SON JUST TEXTED ME. HE JUST TOPPED 12,000 MILES. HE HAS USED 11.2 GALLONS OF GAS.
END OF STORY.
Mykeisha

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
14,200 MILES. 28 GALLONS OF GAS. 145 MPG WHEN IN FULL ELECTRIC.
MY SON JUST TEXTED ME. HE JUST TOPPED 12,000 MILES. HE HAS USED 11.2 GALLONS OF GAS.
END OF STORY.
You're a regular pinocchio.
Marty Tricio

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Voice of Reality wrote:
One thing, I do not have to worry about any warranty trap as I drive a Volt now and its track record puts the old Hyundai Elantra to shame.
2012 Chevrolet Volt with 43K carefree miles on it.
2012 Hyundai Elantra GT with over 170K with several repair bills now sold.
Elantra, nothing more than a bargain basement go cart with a different power train. Volt, 23,461 sold last year because the American buying public can see that it is practical transportation, economical, and hot.
Hyundai with 186,000 sold in 11 months because the American Public knows they can upgrade it by parking it next to a porta-potty and leaving it unlocked. People step up and take a big shit in it and they can trade it in, helps with the ROI.
No matter what the little Elantra defender says here, the American Buying public has opened their minds to the Volt and made it the greatest car since the dawn on time.
Hyundai going into crisis mode next year and will reduce the price by 13% in order to attempt to sell those dogs.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18n75n13ohswu...
Take a shit in an Elantra. That's pretty good.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Marty Tricio wrote:
<quoted text>Take a shit in an Elantra. That's pretty good.
Well if I bought an elantras and had the belching white smoke issue, I would probably do the same.
Voice of Realty

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

I'm sorry for my outburst above. Someone took a shit in my Elantra and it upsets me.
Voice of Reality

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

I really do care if you make a billion dollars a year, you are still my mentor. Hell, coal miners make more than I do and they have more of an education than I do. I had some really exciting days, I climb up the pole, suck the pole, let the pole squirt me in the face, climb down the pole, and eat the pole and get back to my up and down the pole act.

Cashed any more $29K checks to pay for a $42K vehicle lately?

Do you have any more verifiable accounts of such great Volt service? I know, my transgendered son with the slut boyfriend got a record 1,000 miles to the gallon while travelling to Mount Hairy. I did not mean massage houses.

At least you are consistent in one thing, you tell the truth every chance you get, and I am gay. My transgendered son did this and I did that and we did it without a rubber and you need to believe it because I say so.

I look around and access my situation, son is a man slut, wife took a black manís cock up her ass and I licked the load so that she could die to get away from me and I can climb tall poles in Mayberry. Hell, what is there left for a poor little slurper like me? I know, I can buy another Volt and save more money.

By owning a volt I am special for the first time since I sold my Elantra. This is where I met my current boyfriend, he spread me open and I drooled out of the right side of my mouth and he drooled out of the left side of his mouth and he sprayed me in the eye. Made for some interesting and wet kissing. I think I will go suck some dick now.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Supposedly Honda will be rolling out a new hybrid system. I wonder if this will turn out as well as its other attempts? For now I will continue to support the perennial sales champion class leading highest award winning Volt.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Autos Forum right now

Search the Autos Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
First Coast Gears: 'The Judge' proudly holds court Tue Mike and Wanda 1
LINCOLN vs CADILLAC: Which is better??? (Jan '08) Tue CADDYJP4 241
Court favors disclosing anti-gay marriage donors Tue Wondering 1,692
Mexico's auto industry looks to luxury cars Tue Concerned 4
Gingrich warns GOP to not be the 'anti' party Tue Go Blue Forever 28
Arizona to get unaccompanied immigrant youths Jul 21 shakey 37
radio code for 2002 honda odyssey (Mar '12) Jul 18 shin 7
•••

Buy a New Car