Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Hungday pos

United States

#6709 Sep 29, 2013
James wrote:
Ironically my wife bough a Hyundai Elantra last year and averages about 26 MPG combined, far from the advertised lines in their commercials. After research we found they were forced to roll back their ratings last November. Overall while not a driver’s car it can be used as a typical lower line commuter for young families or first time buyers and those looking to shuttle four from point A to B. Two issues have come to fruition as of late. The first, a rattle in the front-passenger door caused by a loose wire, was sorted during a dealer service. The second, excessive wear on the steering wheel manifested by the peeling of the outer layer of coating from the top section, was not. The dealer told us the steering wheel was not covered by Hyundai's “bumper to bumper” warranty. While some have experienced a faulty infotainment system with the Bluetooth not connecting automatically, we have not. Our main ergonomic gripe is the lack of adjustable lumbar support but they have finally made that available for 2013. Overall we give this car a rating of four out of ten.
Steering wheels falling apart are a scary thing and it shows poor design. With some luck you might try to get a rep on your side. I admit hunday has a shitty warranty but you should not be forced to pay for that yourself.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6711 Sep 29, 2013
Hungday pos wrote:
<quoted text>Steering wheels falling apart are a scary thing and it shows poor design. With some luck you might try to get a rep on your side. I admit hunday has a shitty warranty but you should not be forced to pay for that yourself.
Good point about the rep, the elantras should not fall apart like that. Hell, I have an older car in my stable and it still has the original steering wheel.
Not a VA homo

United States

#6712 Sep 29, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Good point about the rep, the elantras should not fall apart like that. Hell, I have an older car in my stable and it still has the original steering wheel.
More of a reason to buy a Volt! I hear they put a real leather wrapped steering wheel in that thing. If someone wanted a leather steer wheel in a hung they would have to get the Limited and give a hand job to the ceo Wang Hungdown. They inform the dealership and the poor customer has to use his Obama phone minutes to see when it arrives. Good thing is that by this time the rattles will be obvious and they can get them fixed at the dealership when they have the steering wheel installed.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6714 Sep 30, 2013
Hungday pos wrote:
<quoted text>Steering wheels falling apart are a scary thing and it shows poor design. With some luck you might try to get a rep on your side. I admit hunday has a shitty warranty but you should not be forced to pay for that yourself.
Elantras steering wheels falling apart is one thing. I think the real chink in the armor that will continue to hurt the car is the coolant leak, white smoke, engine overheat scenario. This can be a real bump in the road if the typical elantras owner isn’t familiar with her car to take the necessary steps to prevent the engine from exploding.
Katori

Tokyo, Japan

#6716 Sep 30, 2013
James wrote:
Ironically my wife bough a Hyundai Elantra last year and averages about 26 MPG combined, far from the advertised lines in their commercials. After research we found they were forced to roll back their ratings last November. Overall while not a driver’s car it can be used as a typical lower line commuter for young families or first time buyers and those looking to shuttle four from point A to B. Two issues have come to fruition as of late. The first, a rattle in the front-passenger door caused by a loose wire, was sorted during a dealer service. The second, excessive wear on the steering wheel manifested by the peeling of the outer layer of coating from the top section, was not. The dealer told us the steering wheel was not covered by Hyundai's “bumper to bumper” warranty. While some have experienced a faulty infotainment system with the Bluetooth not connecting automatically, we have not. Our main ergonomic gripe is the lack of adjustable lumbar support but they have finally made that available for 2013. Overall we give this car a rating of four out of ten.
The problem is that your Elantra has poor vehicle design and lackluster parts/chassis geometry. After all, it was designed as a bargain buster car that was low on content and reliability. I suggest you sell that thing before you become a statistic. There are much better offerings on the market.
Katori

Tokyo, Japan

#6717 Sep 30, 2013
It is no secret that Hyundai is very stringent with their warranty. They are definitely not DIY mechanic friendly. They will frequently deny coverage to people who do their own oil changes, coolant flushes, spark plug changes, etc. People who use the dealer for routine maintenance and other services typically do not have a problem while the car is under warranty.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6719 Sep 30, 2013
Not a VA homo wrote:
<quoted text>More of a reason to buy a Volt! I hear they put a real leather wrapped steering wheel in that thing. If someone wanted a leather steer wheel in a hung they would have to get the Limited and give a hand job to the ceo Wang Hungdown. They inform the dealership and the poor customer has to use his Obama phone minutes to see when it arrives. Good thing is that by this time the rattles will be obvious and they can get them fixed at the dealership when they have the steering wheel installed.
I would be willing to bet if a person has say the broken steering wheel AND the overheating-white smoke belching coolant in their cylinders they could probaby just scrap the car and move on to something of higher quality. What concerns me the most is the young single mother strapped for cash that ends up with a blown engine and no cash for repairs.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6720 Sep 30, 2013
Katori wrote:
<quoted text>The problem is that your Elantra has poor vehicle design and lackluster parts/chassis geometry. After all, it was designed as a bargain buster car that was low on content and reliability. I suggest you sell that thing before you become a statistic. There are much better offerings on the market.
Well said and I agree with the bargainassessment. One thing that concerns me is when the steering column locks up on the elantras. This type of flaw can cause an accident and that's not good for anyone.
Not a VA Homo

United States

#6721 Sep 30, 2013
These hungdand Urethlanta cars must get better. I now understand why the guy from VA bought a Volt.

“Irrefutable Harm”

Since: Mar 09

Miami Beach Fl.

#6722 Sep 30, 2013
It looks to me like Hyundai quality is about on par with other Korean garbage.
Voice of Reality

Manassas, VA

#6723 Sep 30, 2013
Steering wheels showing flaws come from poor quality. You can have a design flaw, a very common happening. The most prevalent cause being cheap parts getting worn with fingernails. My transgendered son had that habit and when I got his 02 Chevrolet I had to replace his anal intruder with a very nice wooden one. I now have over 43K miles on the 2012 without the first issue, on the 02 Chevrolet with about 170K the timing belt hasn’t needed to be replaced. No issues for me with the 100K pumper to pumper warranty in fact the man at the sex shop put it in deep and said in writing that as long as I kept returning and sucking him off I did not have to use the dealer to do the routine oral. So far at 43K miles the total cost to operate my two and a half year old Chevrolet is approx.$20,301, not even half way to the 41K MSRP of the same year Elantra and I’m saving money! I have saved thousands with my Volt and will be getting another one.
Voice of Reality

Manassas, VA

#6724 Sep 30, 2013
Well people just got back from Mt. Hairy NC and the Mayberry Gay Days Celebration as well as the NC Transgendered BBQ championship cook off. Friday spent time in down town Mt. Hairy (AKA Mayberry) and went to the Doug Dillard tribute show at the Main Street Theater. This is where I got on my hands and knees and charged $10.00 for blow jobs. This morning I got an excellent poop pounding from Touches at the Snappy Lunch and took it in the ass again at 10:00AM and got to talk to cast members Betty Lynn and James Best. Also got to talk to Don Knotts daughter all who were there as well as about 20 Mayberry Tribute Squad Cars ranging in age from 1960 to 1967. Great time and after lunch made the 200 mile trip back in the Volt with the pants down full of erotic merchandise purchased. I saved a butt load of money driving my Volt over the old Hyundai Elantra.

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/07/03/...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6725 Sep 30, 2013
Not a VA Homo wrote:
These hungdand Urethlanta cars must get better. I now understand why the guy from VA bought a Volt.
Volt gets hundreds mpg so it's no surprise someone would trade an elantras for a Volt. Factor in the reports of white smoke belching and any one of the quality concerns and it becomes a no brainer. The most important thing is to help those less fortunate from getting into the elantras warranty trap.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6728 Sep 30, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
Well people just got back from Mt. Hairy NC and the Mayberry Gay Days Celebration as well as the NC Transgendered BBQ championship cook off. Friday spent time in down town Mt. Hairy (AKA Mayberry) and went to the Doug Dillard tribute show at the Main Street Theater. This is where I got on my hands and knees and charged $10.00 for blow jobs. This morning I got an excellent poop pounding from Touches at the Snappy Lunch and took it in the ass again at 10:00AM and got to talk to cast members Betty Lynn and James Best. Also got to talk to Don Knotts daughter all who were there as well as about 20 Mayberry Tribute Squad Cars ranging in age from 1960 to 1967. Great time and after lunch made the 200 mile trip back in the Volt with the pants down full of erotic merchandise purchased. I saved a butt load of money driving my Volt over the old Hyundai Elantra.
http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/07/03/...
Sounds like an interesting trip though I hope you use protection. My instinct tells me you have found great joy in the money you've saved with your perennial sales champion award winning conservative excellent quality Volt over the probable white smoke belching elantras.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Voice of Reality

Manassas, VA

#6729 Sep 30, 2013
One thing, I do not have to worry about any warranty trap as I drive a Volt now and its track record puts the old Hyundai Elantra to shame.

2012 Chevrolet Volt with 43K carefree miles on it.

2012 Hyundai Elantra GT with over 170K with several repair bills now sold.

Elantra, nothing more than a bargain basement go cart with a different power train. Volt, 23,461 sold last year because the American buying public can see that it is practical transportation, economical, and hot.

Hyundai with 186,000 sold in 11 months because the American Public knows they can upgrade it by parking it next to a porta-potty and leaving it unlocked. People step up and take a big shit in it and they can trade it in, helps with the ROI.

No matter what the little Elantra defender says here, the American Buying public has opened their minds to the Volt and made it the greatest car since the dawn on time.

Hyundai going into crisis mode next year and will reduce the price by 13% in order to attempt to sell those dogs.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18n75n13ohswu...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#6732 Sep 30, 2013
Blown head gaskets, missing thermostats from the factory and steering wheels that fall apart in the often soft and silky hands of its typical owner aside, in my opinion the Elantra faux pas came with the GT. The oriental print on this car, to me, is just unforgiving. The hatch which is a GT stridently screams sully on ones dignity. Shall I say the men from yesterday still holding a pair large enough to satisfy any woman that is, the men form yesterday whom remember what a man’s car needs to be have no need to read further.

The GT AKA Grand Touring is traditionally a fast, very comfortable and generally exceptionally powerful high style car designed to lay the thunder down and chomp the miles in heart throbbing passion, so says that lady in your lap. Did someone say MPG in this beast? Pack up the shirts for a man size what and forget about the Biggie Size, New York New York welcomes this type of man with open arms.

While the anemic growling four banger mill churns up a heart throbbing 148 HP, even the faintest of heart won’t faint at such thunder. Oh, and as we found out last year, your mileage may vary.

Go with the Volt if MPG is your desire.

This is good press.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6733 Sep 30, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
Blown head gaskets, missing thermostats from the factory and steering wheels that fall apart in the often soft and silky hands of its typical owner aside, in my opinion the Elantra faux pas came with the GT. The oriental print on this car, to me, is just unforgiving. The hatch which is a GT stridently screams sully on ones dignity. Shall I say the men from yesterday still holding a pair large enough to satisfy any woman that is, the men form yesterday whom remember what a man’s car needs to be have no need to read further.
The GT AKA Grand Touring is traditionally a fast, very comfortable and generally exceptionally powerful high style car designed to lay the thunder down and chomp the miles in heart throbbing passion, so says that lady in your lap. Did someone say MPG in this beast? Pack up the shirts for a man size what and forget about the Biggie Size, New York New York welcomes this type of man with open arms.
While the anemic growling four banger mill churns up a heart throbbing 148 HP, even the faintest of heart won’t faint at such thunder. Oh, and as we found out last year, your mileage may vary.
This is good press.
I love it, NY NY watch out for the man's man!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gm man

Tinley Park, IL

#6734 Sep 30, 2013
News flash: The Volt is a dud, pulling the plug! Another pathedic attempt to sell autos to the clueless. No body buys a domestic product, they only lease and for good reason......Lemon Laws!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
James

Austin, TX

#6735 Sep 30, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>I was surprised to hear about the steering wheel coming apart on your elantras. For the dealer not to take care of it is a real shame. So much for that warranty!
One of the things I like about the Volt is the fact that GM was so meticulous and took the time to build it right. Year after year they literally tested and developed, tested and tested it again to ensure the car was correct. Not rushing it to market and taking the time to constantly develop and improve and test was one of the most important actions they took when developing this car.
I believe that’s why today you see it as adored by their owners and at the top of the pack of awards, it is also the perennial sales champion yearly. From what I understand, the conservative and cost effective Volt is selling faster than the original prius from recall motors did back in the day.
Well, it’s been great talking with someone that actually has a little respect for once! Good luck with that broken steering wheel and the rattles in your elantras. Hope to see you in a quality Volt when the new models come out. Happy motoring!
Yes it was a disappointment. The problem we had the most trouble accepting was the dealer runaround. Its one thing to sell a car you say has a great warranty and another to fid they won’t honor it. Overall we have a less than favorable impression of the Hyundai Company has a whole.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
James

Austin, TX

#6736 Sep 30, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
This is good press.
To be honest we haven’t had any of the smoking issues but agree with your rather descriptive take on the GT as a whole. While it will growl if you rev it, it will not go.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. says North Korean submarine missing 6 hr operation gladio 2
Original Xhorse Mini VCI techstream FW 2.0.4 vs... 18 hr Ambrosio 1
AUTOPHIX OM123 OBDII EOBD CAN code reader read ... Wed car-diagnostic-tool 1
OBDSTAR F102 Nissan Pin Code Reader Key Program... Tue Spencer5 5
Foxwell NT510 has good success with BMW multisy... Tue lalaura 1
VAG CAN PRO VCP V5.5.1 Clone less than 50$ Tue lalaura 3
The Newest Version V4.3 SuperOBD SKP-900 car ke... Aug 22 auto engineer 2
More from around the web