Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6675 Sep 27, 2013
Gm man wrote:
<quoted text>Crunch all the numbers in the universe.....its still a POS domestic product. The volt is 15 years behind the Prius in every aspect.....quality being #1!!!!
That's why Prius is the number one car traded in for the Volt. The number one reason? Too many Prius recalls.

The Prius only gets 50 mpg, tops. I get 145 mpg when gas is at $4, which it is.

Keep trying. I know the time on your parent's computer is limited now. It would be best to think ahead of time and write your quips down so you can come up with better stuff. This going on the fly stuff isn't working for you.
Gm man

Tinley Park, IL

#6676 Sep 27, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why Prius is the number one car traded in for the Volt. The number one reason? Too many Prius recalls.
The Prius only gets 50 mpg, tops. I get 145 mpg when gas is at $4, which it is.
Keep trying. I know the time on your parent's computer is limited now. It would be best to think ahead of time and write your quips down so you can come up with better stuff. This going on the fly stuff isn't working for you.
The volt has lost its juice....pull the plug!!!Detroit has its back.....in the garage...standing on a chair...rope around neck.......gun in mouth........Toyota just kicked the chair out from inder Derot again!!!!!!!Dear volt owner, we are so sorry you got taken to the cleaners..........Its no different than the domestic 1/2 ton truck owners, any owner of any domestic auto, they only apply to the "Lemon Laws"...period!!!!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6677 Sep 27, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
He forgets that I have a 9 gallon gas tank. On a 200 mile trip, I will use 3.7 gallons of gas. 54 mpg. He will use almost 6.
He loses again.
Stop every 45 miles for a recharge? Only Leaf owners have to do that.
I agree ... he's slipping.
It's all the same guy. One person trolling to get you to respond and see how far and how long it can be dragged out. Just saying..
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6681 Sep 28, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
Mr. iluvmyvolt came out the champion idiot poster by a long shot. First of all the little pole monkey said on post 6628 in a very proud way that he only paid 29K for his new volt, HOWEVER, in post #6672 he brags fairly loud that he stroked a check for $42,000 to purchase his volt in cash. I do not know about Fagafornia, however, in every other state an additional $13K over what he claimed would make for a very large sales tax. Come on, my little pole monkey, keep your lies straight. Next in post #6673 He proudly states that he has seen many 2011 Volts selling for over $25K, this was in attempt to refute my fact that Kelly Blue Book shows the 2011 Volt with a #17K trade in value. This proves two things,(1) Mr. Pole Monkey does not know the difference in "Trade in Value" as opposed to Lot Retail Used Car Prices. and (2) Mr. Pole Monkey refuses to believe anything in print either as in the sticker sheet on new cars or the well respected bible of used car values, "The Kelly Blue Book".
This pole climbing Mac, perhaps, should have stayed in school and learned a little something beyond the 10th grade. Well, Mr. Pole Monkey, get your lies straight and together and get back with me. Paying cash for a $29K car with a $42K check, yes that makes a lot of sense.
Are you that dull in the head? I already posted my purchase agreement on YT months ago. Did you already forget?

So, when you claim that you paid $17,000 for your wonder car, you didn't pay state tax and license?

I guess VA doesn't have a license program nor taxes. You're very lucky. We have that in CA, dimwit.

You know, you should really try thinking before you post. You open mouth and insert foot every single time. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

$36,500: Purchase price of my Volt
- 7,500: Tax credit
$29,000: Final price.

Here's the part you aren't getting, dimwit. Or should I say, the part you don't want to get.

The dealership doesn't give me the tax credit. And they don't pay my CA taxes, nor my license. ARE THEY PART OF THE MSRP NOW? IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT? DO YOU GET IT YET? Of course you don't. You don't understand anything that is real world. All you understand is your lies and you spins.

That's my final msrp dimwit.$29,000. Now I have to add the tax and license that VA drivers don't have to pay. OK????

So, at the dealership, I pay:

$36,500: Purchase price
$ 3,194: CA Tax
$ 400: License
$ 2,000: Extended warranty.(It was on the video)

$42,000: Total

I called my planner, he transferred to my bank within a few minutes. The sales person and I drove there and I purchased a money order.

But once again, my final msrp was $36,500. My credit was $7,500. Ending msrp .....$29,000. That's all I paid for my Volt, before tax and license.

Oh, I get it, you aren't going to let me subtract that $7,500 I got back in taxes from the cost of my car, right? Even though, it was the car that got me the taxes back. Right?

Of course you aren't. You want to spin and spin and spin. you got caught in your web, once again. You know, I know a few gays. There are gays in every family. But I never met such a drama queen as you.

You're a dimwit. But you're very luck because you don't have to pay taxes and license in VA.

This is 8th grade math, once again, dimwit. What you pay for a car is what you pay for a car. Not what some loser says you paid for a car.$36,500 minus $7,500 equals $29,000.

That's not even 8th grade math. I think 4th graders can do that "figurrin'".
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6682 Sep 28, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
Now I will address the Rootie Tootie from Looserweezana. In post 6659 he proudly proclaims the Volt to be the "Perennial Sales Champion"? Ok, however, the 2012 sales figures for the Volt was 23,461 and that is not bad. The Elantra on the other hand had a domestic sales figure of 186,000 units as of a November report with a month left to go. There was hope that the 2012 Elantra would join it's bigger brother the Sonata with a little over 200,000 units sold.
Your little volt when compared to the other to this date toy cars might be leading the others however, for every volt sold there are over eight Elantras sold in this country. Being the biggest midget in the room might impress the other midgets, however the other people are not impressed.
Now as for you calling the Elantra and Econo Box I will give you that one, however, the volt is based on it's much more successful GM brother the Econo Box Cruz. Ergo both vehicles are based on economic transportation, ergo, both can be labled Econo Boxes.
When you read that the Volt is based on the Cruz platform, what do you think that means?

Written like a true moron. The Cruz weighs almost 1,000 lbs less than the Volt.

The Volt has zero engine vibrations. Volt has tons more options than the Cruz.

There is absolutely nothing else similar between the two cars. I know you have never test driven a Volt. I also doubt that you have ever been in a Cruz.

Only 5 (or so) Bugatti's Veyron's were sold in the USA last year. Man, that's a crappy car!!! Only 100 new model Bugatti Veyron's are going to be built? They sure are crappy. Why .... the Elantra may sell 200,00. That makes it 2000 times better than the Veyron!!!

Let me remind you, dimwit. The Volt has garnered about 5 of the most prestigious Best Car awards in the world. The only American car to ever win the European Car Of The Year award.

When the Society of Automotive Engineers named the Volt Best Engineered Car in the world, I don't think they had the Cruz in mind. Do you honestly think that the Cruz and the Volt are the same on any level? If you do, you're a bigger dimwit than I thought.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6683 Sep 28, 2013
Nobody compares the Elantra to a BMW. There are many ex BMW owners who now own Volt's and they swear they will never look back.

In fact, the BMW people obtained a Volt and were amazed at the performance. They knew that they had to engineer their BMW i8 to compete with the Volt and no other plug in, due to it's performance. They knew that matching the Voltech system would be a huge task.

A couple of comments from the article.

"The top brass at BMW got their hands on a Volt and after test-driving it, they concluded that if they were unable to match the superior performance of the Chevy Volt, over time they would be creamed in the market. So what to do? BMW needed access to GM's secret sauce for this revolutionary powertrain."

"What's the bottom line here? BMW's best engineers examined the Chevy Volt and concluded that it was going to be the car to beat. They were so desperate to copy it that they hired the chief project manager of the Volt to make it happen as quickly as possible. I think BMW's finest engineers know a little more about what makes the best car, than some U.S. pundit who has never even driven the Volt."

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11451833/1/how...

Read that last line again, dimwit. That's you!!!!

"I think BMW's finest engineers know a little more about what makes the best car, than some U.S. pundit who has never even driven the Volt."
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6687 Sep 28, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>It's all the same guy. One person trolling to get you to respond and see how far and how long it can be dragged out. Just saying..
Oh, I know. It's the dolt. I just like his gay persona better. Cuz it's the truth.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6688 Sep 28, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>It's all the same guy. One person trolling to get you to respond and see how far and how long it can be dragged out. Just saying..
Except for the little guy from IL. That's Des Plains.(The plane, the plane). You remember him.

The Dolt is missing his buddies Pete and Mr. Canada.
Hungday pos

United States

#6689 Sep 29, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
Well people just got back from Mt. Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Celebration as well as the NC BBQ championship cook off. Friday spent time in down town Mt. Airy (AKA Mayberry) and went to the Doug Dillard tribute show at the Main Street Theater. This morning I got an excellent breakfast at the Snappy Lunch and took in the parade at 10:00AM and got to talk to cast members Betty Lynn and James Best. Also got to talk to Don Knotts daughter all who were there as well as about 20 Mayberry Tribute Squad Cars ranging in age from 1960 to 1967. Great time and after lunch made the 200 mile trip back in the Bugeye with the boot full of merchandise purchased. I had to look at some of the idiot post made while I was gone and away from My Dell Cell in the office and I will tell you a couple of the more stupid things I read.
So you mouth hugged every man that would let you and while you were there you met up with the man that met Andy Griffinth and he deposited his load in your colon? Got it. Now you must get back to your Volt because it's the best, ok.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6691 Sep 29, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
Now I will address the Rootie Tootie from Looserweezana. In post 6659 he proudly proclaims the Volt to be the "Perennial Sales Champion"? Ok, however, the 2012 sales figures for the Volt was 23,461 and that is not bad. The Elantra on the other hand had a domestic sales figure of 186,000 units as of a November report with a month left to go. There was hope that the 2012 Elantra would join it's bigger brother the Sonata with a little over 200,000 units sold.
Your little volt when compared to the other to this date toy cars might be leading the others however, for every volt sold there are over eight Elantras sold in this country. Being the biggest midget in the room might impress the other midgets, however the other people are not impressed.
Now as for you calling the Elantra and Econo Box I will give you that one, however, the volt is based on it's much more successful GM brother the Econo Box Cruz. Ergo both vehicles are based on economic transportation, ergo, both can be labled Econo Boxes.
Now that's a silly argument. Of course the cheap little car is going to outsale the high tech expensive Volt, thats a given. If I were interested in discussing cheap cars it might even be the Elantras. Anyhow, as long as you admit the Volt is the perennial sales leader, you're progressing and I'm happy. I wonder how the sales will look this week? Will the Volt remain on top or will this be a big month for prius plugin or cmax, tesla etc?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6692 Sep 29, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for the little guy from IL. That's Des Plains.(The plane, the plane). You remember him.
The Dolt is missing his buddies Pete and Mr. Canada.
Same guy...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6695 Sep 29, 2013
If people want to spend their money on a high tech class leading perennial sales champion Volt instead if a low end white smoke burning elantras I have no problem wirh it. Might you be interested in a hundie elantras support group?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6697 Sep 29, 2013
Yes, elantras have white smoke belching from the tailpipe and while I know you can relate, it's not from a banana. What I drive is just as irrelevant as your arguments about the elantras, though I suspect you need some type of rectifying statements to support that decision so I will throw a tad of support your way. The elantras is indeed a decent choice for those of whom prefer ground up hamburger to a filet which in this case would seem to be the case, a limited budget shopper. No need to fear the class leading and superior Volt my dear friend.
Gm man

Riverside, IL

#6698 Sep 29, 2013
Here are the Facts:Domestics are way behind other auto companys in all aspect no MATTER what Detroit lies about to sell autos. We hear about all the problems and concerns with domestic autos being substanturds and gas mileage overrated....thats a fact! The volt is no different...most commercials are just right out lies by Detroit...thats a fact. They need to move autos off the dealerships.....No body needed on Star, no teen needs to go 1,000mph, park assist..just something else to break and fix. The great auto companies concentrate on safety and efficiency....not gadgets that have no place on a vehicle!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6700 Sep 29, 2013
Yes, and elantras have been in the shop for belching white smoke, check your shop. I too like an occasional hamburger only we have ours prepared typically with a fresh grind of round from the butcher. I too prefer a ribeye. What kind of car do you dr in drive, I bet you have all kinds of dough, clown facial expression looking all silly. Look, it is not my intention to embarrass you. We like so many others in the "other side" understand your plight and feel your pain. Living check to check is not a bad thing as it builds your character. You should check out a Volt. It will save you money.
James

Austin, TX

#6702 Sep 29, 2013
Ironically my wife bough a Hyundai Elantra last year and averages about 26 MPG combined, far from the advertised lines in their commercials. After research we found they were forced to roll back their ratings last November. Overall while not a driver’s car it can be used as a typical lower line commuter for young families or first time buyers and those looking to shuttle four from point A to B. Two issues have come to fruition as of late. The first, a rattle in the front-passenger door caused by a loose wire, was sorted during a dealer service. The second, excessive wear on the steering wheel manifested by the peeling of the outer layer of coating from the top section, was not. The dealer told us the steering wheel was not covered by Hyundai's “bumper to bumper” warranty. While some have experienced a faulty infotainment system with the Bluetooth not connecting automatically, we have not. Our main ergonomic gripe is the lack of adjustable lumbar support but they have finally made that available for 2013. Overall we give this car a rating of four out of ten.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6703 Sep 29, 2013
Actually my financial statement ad vehicle stable is none of your business. The difference between you and I is that I love quality above status, that’s why I would never brag about the vehicles we own. When we go to a restaurant there aren’t prices on the menu and we sign at the end, no plastic involved.

My apologies to you and your “alive wife” for your shortcomings, as I stated the goal is not to embarrass you or poke fun at your situation. I will however reiterate for those of who do live on a budget such as yourself and wish to save money, a class leading perennial sales champion quality award winning Volt could be a decent money saver.

Do you by chance like pork ribs?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6705 Sep 29, 2013
James wrote:
Ironically my wife bough a Hyundai Elantra last year and averages about 26 MPG combined, far from the advertised lines in their commercials. After research we found they were forced to roll back their ratings last November. Overall while not a driver’s car it can be used as a typical lower line commuter for young families or first time buyers and those looking to shuttle four from point A to B. Two issues have come to fruition as of late. The first, a rattle in the front-passenger door caused by a loose wire, was sorted during a dealer service. The second, excessive wear on the steering wheel manifested by the peeling of the outer layer of coating from the top section, was not. The dealer told us the steering wheel was not covered by Hyundai's “bumper to bumper” warranty. While some have experienced a faulty infotainment system with the Bluetooth not connecting automatically, we have not. Our main ergonomic gripe is the lack of adjustable lumbar support but they have finally made that available for 2013. Overall we give this car a rating of four out of ten.
By any chance have you noticed any white smoke coming from your exhaust? If you do, you might have an issue with a head gasket leak allowing your coolant to get into the combustion chamber. It seems to be happening quite a bit on the elantras. Good luck with the car. I would suggest a Volt is you really want to save a bit of money. There have been a few discussions on these pages about real world driving and actual real life cost of ownership that you will find very helpful. Disclaimer.. we do have an emotional gung ho type (my be a korean-canadian) that likes to bring up fabricated arguments about [chuckle] MSRP. He’s a Volt hater and a bit on the hysterical side with his "homosexual innuendo" but he really is harmless. Just overlook his postings and stick with the facts and you’ll be fine. Happy motoring!
James

Austin, TX

#6706 Sep 29, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>By any chance have you noticed any white smoke coming from your exhaust? If you do, you might have an issue with a head gasket leak allowing your coolant to get into the combustion chamber. It seems to be happening quite a bit on the elantras. Good luck with the car. I would suggest a Volt is you really want to save a bit of money. There have been a few discussions on these pages about real world driving and actual real life cost of ownership that you will find very helpful. Disclaimer.. we do have an emotional gung ho type (my be a korean-canadian) that likes to bring up fabricated arguments about [chuckle] MSRP. He’s a Volt hater and a bit on the hysterical side with his "homosexual innuendo" but he really is harmless. Just overlook his postings and stick with the facts and you’ll be fine. Happy motoring!
No we haven’t experienced any of the smoking issues. From what I gather, the smoke seems to be a little more prevalent on slightly used Hyundai models. My wife and I do like the Volt and are very intrigued by the car. We would rather wait for the new model coming out. Dually noted are the comments from the sexually charged and often outrageous postings from one Voice of Reality from Virginia. I’ve spent a few hours reading these pages before posting. Thank you for the heads up.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6707 Sep 29, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>No we haven’t experienced any of the smoking issues. From what I gather, the smoke seems to be a little more prevalent on slightly used Hyundai models. My wife and I do like the Volt and are very intrigued by the car. We would rather wait for the new model coming out. Dually noted are the comments from the sexually charged and often outrageous postings from one Voice of Reality from Virginia. I’ve spent a few hours reading these pages before posting. Thank you for the heads up.
I was surprised to hear about the steering wheel coming apart on your elantras. For the dealer not to take care of it is a real shame. So much for that warranty!

One of the things I like about the Volt is the fact that GM was so meticulous and took the time to build it right. Year after year they literally tested and developed, tested and tested it again to ensure the car was correct. Not rushing it to market and taking the time to constantly develop and improve and test was one of the most important actions they took when developing this car.
I believe that’s why today you see it as adored by their owners and at the top of the pack of awards, it is also the perennial sales champion yearly. From what I understand, the conservative and cost effective Volt is selling faster than the original prius from recall motors did back in the day.

Well, it’s been great talking with someone that actually has a little respect for once! Good luck with that broken steering wheel and the rattles in your elantras. Hope to see you in a quality Volt when the new models come out. Happy motoring!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. says North Korean submarine missing Thu operation gladio 2
Original Xhorse Mini VCI techstream FW 2.0.4 vs... Thu Ambrosio 1
AUTOPHIX OM123 OBDII EOBD CAN code reader read ... Aug 24 car-diagnostic-tool 1
OBDSTAR F102 Nissan Pin Code Reader Key Program... Aug 23 Spencer5 5
Foxwell NT510 has good success with BMW multisy... Aug 23 lalaura 1
VAG CAN PRO VCP V5.5.1 Clone less than 50$ Aug 23 lalaura 3
The Newest Version V4.3 SuperOBD SKP-900 car ke... Aug 22 auto engineer 2
More from around the web