Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Voice of Reality

Manassas, VA

#6649 Sep 25, 2013
Another thing, when I was a young boy growing up in Mayberry, Aunt B use to fix me a cup of warm milk to help me sleep. Ironically the cup was shaped like a large cylinder. It’s my firm FIRM belief that dirking from the cylinder paved the way for my future encounters with men and cheap sex in the back of inexpensive cars like the Elantra.
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#6650 Sep 26, 2013
So let me see, gay focker grew up in Mayberry, drank warm milk, sucks gay pigs and sold his pos Hyundai for a Volt while trying to use an msrp and imaginary math to help sell an Elantra. If this isn't the craziest thing I've seen in years I don't know what is. Instead of trying to help Hyundai why don't we get this pig jerker to compare the Volt and Prius ev or would that be above his grade?
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#6653 Sep 26, 2013
Tell Andy and Goober I said hi. When you get back we'll teach you about msrp. Hope your Volt provides a smooth ride, pig jerker. Hahaha
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6654 Sep 26, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually not, please tell me where I wanted you to pay twice in the difference, whatever that means. Simple statement, MSRP of the Volt $41,000, MSRP of the Elantra $17,000 that gives me $24.000 up front to purchase the 6,857 gallons of gas that will bring the total cost of the Elantra plus the gas to $41,000. Damn, I knew that it did not take much of an education to be a poll monkey, however, I did give you credit for being able to do basic math. I guess I gave you too much credit.
I finally understand what the heck you are doing. You call me a spin doctor? Let me tell you something, oh doctor of spin.

There is no credible company that compares operating costs of vehicles that asks you:

"What are your remaining assets?"

I defy you to go to any site such as Kelly Blue Book, or AOL Auto's and find that listed in an automobile's cost to operate, other than the price paid for the car up front. Which is what I am doing.

I am following the rules for comparing cars head to head. You are spinning.

Not every Elantra purchaser in this country is going to have $25,000 left in their account. That is why they bought the car in the first place. That is why Kelly Blue Book doesn't care about remaining assets.

Hold on a minute ..........

OK ... just visited KBB's web site and sure enough, there wasn't a line that asked the customer to list their remaining assets.

You don't want to go there anyway because, I doubt that you had $24,000 left in your account to buy gas with. Why do I think this?
Because you bought an Elantra!!!

And another thing, I'm pretty sure you didn't pay cash. You are paying payments. That adds to the cost of your vehicle. Even Kelly Blue Book lists interest payments as cost of a vehicle. I paid cash. Zero interest.

But they don't ask for remaining assets.

All of the credible sites compare actual cost of ownership from car to car. Head to head. Wow, you would have made a great spider .... you spin so much, you would trap yourself in your own web. In fact, you did!!!!!1

Fact. After all those miles, your Elantra costs $41,000. Fact, after all those miles, a Volt costs $23,000.

Remaining assets. Holy cow. You talk about spinning.

When someone buys a Ferrari, cash, do you think remaining assets matter when comparing it to the mpg of a Porsche?

You had to dig far and deep for a hater site that listed that as a way to compare 2 car's operating costs.

This little argument of yours is trash. You bend the rules of comparing cars operating costs so you can make yourself feel good about buying a gas hog.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6655 Sep 26, 2013
From here on in, I am going to talk real world only when it comes to your Elantra.

Real world:

My son paid $24,500 for his Volt.

He saves $3,600 a year, including charging costs.

In 2.2 years, his Volt will cost less than your Elantra.

And that is figured in with you leaving your Elantra in the driveway and never using a drop of gas.

How does that make you feel?

You spin dream world.

I report real world facts.

You come out looking bad in both, but you come out looking much worse in the world the rest of us live in.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6656 Sep 26, 2013
Rainbow man and Sammy, at Virginia's gay pride day.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-p9gkG8t_a-s/UDF9H3H... -
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#6657 Sep 26, 2013
Looks like the gay focker got his ass handed to him again, only this time it was handed over on a silver platter.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6658 Sep 26, 2013
He spin doctor. This is how the average person really buys a car. Some people are emotional about money up front. Some are not. Those folks consider the future. Operating costs, return on money spent, etc. You are in the first category.

Reality:

A potential car purchaser in CA. has $7,000 in his savings for a down payment for a car. He is making a decent wage, working at a decent job.

He drives 15,000 miles a year. 41 miles a day.

He studies the Elantra vs. the Volt.

The Volt options:

Purchase a new, top of the line 2014 for $34,000. After credits, it will come to $25,000.
Or, purchase a new, basic 2014 Volt for $31,000. After credits, it will come to $22,000.

In either case, the Volt will not use any gas because the range of the 2014 is 45 miles.

He compares the basic Volt to the top of the line Elantra which costs $18,500. The basic Volt still has more options than the Elantra.

CA gas rates have been averaging $3.85 per gallon for the past 2 years.

Using the Elantra's mpg, he would spend $1,650 a year for gas should he purchase the Elantra. In 5 years, that will come to $8,250, bringing the total cost of the car to $26,750.

So, even if the Volt didn't save him a dime and only broke even, the Elantra already costs $4,750 more than the Volt after only 5 years.

However, the Volt is going to save him $8,250 because he doesn't have to buy gas. He will, however spend $1,300 on charging costs if he charges mostly at night. This is using CA's highest night time utility rates. There are much lower. That is a net savings of $7,000, thus bringing the cost of the Volt down to $15,000.

Now, he considers maintenance costs. After 75,000 miles, he considers that the Elantra will cost him another $500+ for oil changes, whereas the Volt will be $0. His brakes will have about 10% left on the pads, whereas the Volt will still have about 80% left on the pads. That is about $100 added to the cost of the Elantra, thus adding another $600 total for maintenance.

Should he purchase the Volt, after 5 years, 75,000 miles, his net savings over the Elantra is $12,350 when both car's operating costs are considered.

He also considers that the Volt only has 1 moving part in it's main motor. The generator is still brand new because the gas engine only comes on every 1,000 miles for lubrication, using .1 gal. of gas.

This is another $29.00 for gas that he must add to the car. A pittance when one considers that the generator is still brand new. So the end result is, he will save $12,220 should he purchase the Volt.

Being that this purchaser is intelligent and not emotional with his money, and after considering all factors, he buys the Volt and joins the many thousand's of extremely happy Volt owners.

Hey spin doctor. Even if my Volt only broke even .... going to the gas station only 3 times in 2 years is worth the price of the car.

Oh, and by the way .... it drives smoother and is much quieter than my Cad's. A benefit I never considered until I actually owned the car.

Now, why don't you just be happy with your Elantra. Quit trying to make yourself feel good about buying it by putting my car down.

Every time you spin a story about my car, I'm going to smack you with the real world.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6659 Sep 26, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
This thread would be funny, if not so pathetic. These idiot Volt Lovers (Hell the Rootless man does not even own one) can never dispute my facts concerning MSRPs, difference in cost and amount of gas the difference would purchase. So, devoid of any verified factual evidence they must result to the ninth grade locker room type of defense or in this case offence.
The Volt is a sales failure, this is the reason that next year they will reduce the price by 12.5% in order to be able to sell these cars that have not once met sales expectations. Have you ever seen a car that either meets or exceeds these expectations need a price reduction?
Well, in closing I must say that my figures are completely correct on the Volt V Elantra comparison with the average family needing 239,995 miles of gas free travel to equal the cost of the Elantra traversing the same distance using regular gas. The average family would need to keep the Volt 12 years and put almost a quarter million miles on it to come out even with the elantra and how many people put 239,995 miles on a car?
Well, time to get to packing the Sprite to take my weekend trip to have fun and great BBQ. Time to let people like the no hole, pole monkey idiot and the person who lives in Man asses to start the flaming. Have fun with your computer lives, I will be in the Great Little Town of Mount Airy North Carolina celebrating possibly the greatest sit com of all time. Oh yes, and who cares about the gas mileage on the way down there and back as we will travel as many back roads as possible keeping the revs up, the top down and getting at least 50 smiles per gallon.
That would be the perennial sales champion and class leading Volt. For goodness sake quit whining about this car and grow a pair once and for all. Just about everything you say is so off the wall goofy it's hard for anyone to take you seriously. When you get beat, you get beat and that's just the way it is. Happy motoring..
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6660 Sep 26, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
I finally understand what the heck you are doing. You call me a spin doctor? Let me tell you something, oh doctor of spin.
There is no credible company that compares operating costs of vehicles that asks you:
"What are your remaining assets?"
I defy you to go to any site such as Kelly Blue Book, or AOL Auto's and find that listed in an automobile's cost to operate, other than the price paid for the car up front. Which is what I am doing.
I am following the rules for comparing cars head to head. You are spinning.
Not every Elantra purchaser in this country is going to have $25,000 left in their account. That is why they bought the car in the first place. That is why Kelly Blue Book doesn't care about remaining assets.
Hold on a minute ..........
OK ... just visited KBB's web site and sure enough, there wasn't a line that asked the customer to list their remaining assets.
You don't want to go there anyway because, I doubt that you had $24,000 left in your account to buy gas with. Why do I think this?
Because you bought an Elantra!!!
And another thing, I'm pretty sure you didn't pay cash. You are paying payments. That adds to the cost of your vehicle. Even Kelly Blue Book lists interest payments as cost of a vehicle. I paid cash. Zero interest.
But they don't ask for remaining assets.
All of the credible sites compare actual cost of ownership from car to car. Head to head. Wow, you would have made a great spider .... you spin so much, you would trap yourself in your own web. In fact, you did!!!!!1
Fact. After all those miles, your Elantra costs $41,000. Fact, after all those miles, a Volt costs $23,000.
Remaining assets. Holy cow. You talk about spinning.
When someone buys a Ferrari, cash, do you think remaining assets matter when comparing it to the mpg of a Porsche?
You had to dig far and deep for a hater site that listed that as a way to compare 2 car's operating costs.
This little argument of yours is trash. You bend the rules of comparing cars operating costs so you can make yourself feel good about buying a gas hog.
Bless his heart you have to admit he tries.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6662 Sep 26, 2013
Bless his heart, he tries. Energizer bunny perhaps?
Voice of Reality

Manassas, VA

#6663 Sep 26, 2013
This thread is the best. These idiot Hyundai Lovers (Hell the Rootless man does not even own one) can never dispute my facts concerning MSRPs, difference in cost and amount of gas the difference would purchase. So, devoid of any verified factual evidence I must result to the ninth grade locker room grab ass type of defense or in this case offence opps silly me I used the Canadian spelling.

The Volt is a sales winner, this is the reason they will sell even more! They sell these cars and always surpass sales expectations. Have you ever seen a car that meets ad exceeds these expectations need a price reduction?

Well, in closing I must say that my figures are completely incorrect on the Volt V Elantra comparison with the average family needing 239,995 miles of gas free travel to equal the cost of the Elantra traversing the same distance using regular gas. The average family would need to keep the Volt 6 months and put almost a 10 miles on it to come out even with the elantra and how many people put 10 miles on a car?

Well, time to get to packing my lube and sex toys. I’m getting the Volt to take my weekend trip to have sex in Mayberry and eat great Transgendered BBQ. Time to let people like gay people like me, my wide hole pig wife let me suck her pole and the person that lives in my backyard to start out flaming journey. Have fun with your computer lives, I will be in the Gay Little Town of Mount Airy North Carolina celebrating possibly the greatest gay gathering of all time. Oh yes, and who cares about the gas mileage on the way down there and back as we will travel in the Volt and get naked o the back roads keeping the revs up on our sex toys, the top down and getting at least 50 squirts per jerks.

Voice out, not to worry, I’ll still be posting with my other identity because I’m not really going anywhere.
Gm man

Posen, IL

#6664 Sep 26, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually not, please tell me where I wanted you to pay twice in the difference, whatever that means. Simple statement, MSRP of the Volt $41,000, MSRP of the Elantra $17,000 that gives me $24.000 up front to purchase the 6,857 gallons of gas that will bring the total cost of the Elantra plus the gas to $41,000. Damn, I knew that it did not take much of an education to be a poll monkey, however, I did give you credit for being able to do basic math. I guess I gave you too much credit.
Crunch all the numbers in the universe.....its still a POS domestic product. The volt is 15 years behind the Prius in every aspect.....quality being #1!!!!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6665 Sep 26, 2013
No Mayberry trip this time?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6668 Sep 26, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there is a Mayberry trip, since Mount Airy is only 200 Miles away and the event gets underway at noon on Friday and will last until Sunday I will be leaving about 10:00 AM and will be arriving about 1:00PM. Remember, I do not have to stop every 45 miles for a recharge.
You're slipping
Gm man

Miami, FL

#6669 Sep 26, 2013
My POS import is in the garage AGAIN!!!!! I'm Voice of Reality and I'm gay!!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6671 Sep 27, 2013
Just a few more days until the sales numbers come out folks. Who will be on top? Could this be a big month for the Prius plugin? Could Tesla or the Cmax be the sleeper? These are exciting times, good luck to each and every one of these offerings and their owners.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6672 Sep 27, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
You just set a fcuking record, you went on and on and on and did not say anything. It was you who said that the average Volt owner had $7,000 to put down on a volt and had a good job to make monthly payments. Well, Little Pole Monkey, unlike you I deal in buying cars for cash. When I purchased the Elantra it was funny because I did not go there to purchase a car, hell I did not even drive my trade in tC with me. Well, I decided to purchase the car and the dealer offered me a very good trade in on my 05 tC with the 145K miles. I had to go through the process of getting financing because I had to transfer some funds from stocks to my checking account so the car was actually financed for two weeks. The F&I person asked if I wanted to purchase two or three more cars as my credit score was 877. So, Mr. Blue Collar Laborer, all people do not think in terms of car payments, I have not had a car payment in over 15 years and we have always kept cars about 4 years each, both mine and my very alive wife's car.
Little Rootie keeps talking about the Volt being a sales leader, wonder how many Elantras were sold in 2012 compared to the number of Volts sold?
OOOOhhhhh ... he wanted to know if you wanted to buy 2 or 3 more cars? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I wrote a check for $42k from my cash account. That is a nice little advantage of knowing your financial planner personally. He has my permission to move stock that is going down to and fro. I sign the papers later. But I insist on having $50,000 in cash accounts in case of an emergency. I have stock. So, you see, I'm a smart little pole monkey.

I became debt free in 1991. Retired in 1998. I made the equivalent of $165,000 in today's money for those 7 debt free years. I was doing OK before that anyway, as my house payment was under $400 a month. I could have bought 4 new Cadillacs, each year, cash.(Not 4 new Elantra's). I've never made a car payment. I bought my first Cadillac in 1978 cash, when I was 30.

Oh, and by the way, property values in the bay area have shot up 33% in one year. That's about an extra $300,000 I'm sitting on as I respond to your spin.

http://www.dqnews.com/Articles/2013/News/Cali... .

So what? What does that have to do with comparing my operating costs to yours?

You are the one who is saying absolutely nothing.

You spin and spin and spin and you can't stay on subject.

Now, let me ask you the question.

What does any of this have to do with comparing the operating costs of an Elantra to a Volt?

Absolutely nothing.

And as far as how many Elantra's sold compared to how many Volts sold ....... how many Bugatti Veyrons sold last year? Probably 5. Oooooohhhhh ... that makes the Elantra so much better than the Bugatti. What an idiotic argument.

This is what my current wages would be were I still working.

\http://www.careerbliss.com/so uthern-california-edison/salar ies/journeyman-lineman/

So what? Who cares what I made? Who cares what you made? I suspect you are throwing all this crap on the wall just to see what sticks.

Nothing is sticking.

Try to stay on track.

Pole monkey make more money than frustrated limp wrist. Limp wrist be mad at pole monkey.

If pole monkey uneducated, why pole monkey always teaching limp wrist reality?

Tower climbers ... tower climbers ... msrp msrp msrp ....$17k ...$17k ....$17k .... 2011's are a joke .... 2011's are a joke.

I have to admit .... I wouldn't be having this much fun if it wasn't for you.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6673 Sep 27, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
Actually you are quite funny, little man. Spin all you wish, however, the MSRP of the 2012 Volt was 41K and the MSRP of My Elantra was 17K, these facts are verifiable and written on the window sticker.
One last point before I leave, I got interested in the long term value of the two vehicles and looked up the Kelly Blue Book trade in value on both models for a 2011 year car.
The Volt is at $17.00 or roughly 41% of it's original value chocking up a loss of 24K for three years usage.
The 2011 Hyundai Elantra is listed by Kelly at having a trade in of between 11,700 and 12,900 for a vehicle with the same 38K miles on it. The average resale is 72% of it's original value with a cost of $4,700 dollars for the three years usage.
Another 20K for you to factor in, little one.
MSRP MSRP MSRP MSRP!!!!!!!!

First of all ... here is a whole list of used 2011 Volts selling for over $25k.

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/search-results/def...

Considering that those people paid about $34k for their car ... I'd say that's pretty darn good. Only a $9k loss.

Here's the kicker. Get ready to be owned again.

They probably saved about $5,000, on gas ... on average.

That means that they only spent $3,000 for their car!!!!! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

Here's a 2012 selling for $30k

http://www.putnamgm.com/VehicleDetails/used-2... !1358229988?cs:kw=+used%20+vol t&cs:e=g&cs:a=nonend_u seddap_inv_001&cs:pro=none nduf&cs:gn=s&cs:tv=401 &cs:ki=579930259&cs:p= &cs:cid=29552501817

Here's a 2011 selling for only $22k ... that's still $5k more than what you say.

http://autos.yahoo.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/

I don't care what any site tells you. The question is, what are the cars really selling for?

This is exactly the same argument you have about the MSRP. Now, from here on in, you are going to be reporting $17k,$17k,$17k. The real world means nothing to you.

When dealerships are selling used 2011's for $24k -$25k, a private owner would be selling theirs for $22k -$23k.

That's much more than your report.

But once again, they have $5,000 in the bank that didn't go to the oil barons.

Add that to their sale price ... they have $27k -$28k in their pocket, once they sell their car.

Not bad ... considering they only paid $34k.

MSRP MSRP MSRP MSRP

Is that some kind of secrete code in the rainbow world?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6674 Sep 27, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>You're slipping
He forgets that I have a 9 gallon gas tank. On a 200 mile trip, I will use 3.7 gallons of gas. 54 mpg. He will use almost 6.

He loses again.

Stop every 45 miles for a recharge? Only Leaf owners have to do that.

I agree ... he's slipping.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to make FVDI run under VMWare? 23 hr Ambrosio 1
News Graham group takes Mormon cult wording off Web (Oct '12) Sun Maggie 8
News U.S. says North Korean submarine missing Aug 25 operation gladio 2
Original Xhorse Mini VCI techstream FW 2.0.4 vs... Aug 25 Ambrosio 1
AUTOPHIX OM123 OBDII EOBD CAN code reader read ... Aug 24 car-diagnostic-tool 1
OBDSTAR F102 Nissan Pin Code Reader Key Program... Aug 23 Spencer5 5
Foxwell NT510 has good success with BMW multisy... Aug 23 lalaura 1
More from around the web