Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11773 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Root

Shreveport, LA

#6267 Aug 16, 2013
Some more intersting things on the turbo Volt engine are that it will be made entirely from aluminum and is supposed to be 20% more efficient.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Charlene

Los Angeles, CA

#6268 Aug 16, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds great, are you in a Volt club yet? We have a Volt owner here from Ca.
No Volt club for me, we just got the car. Going out to drive later today!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Over Priced Cruze

Newtown, CT

#6269 Aug 16, 2013
Root wrote:
Some more intersting things on the turbo Volt engine are that it will be made entirely from aluminum and is supposed to be 20% more efficient.
Is Chevy bringing back the Vega engineering group?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6270 Aug 16, 2013
Charlene wrote:
<quoted text>No Volt club for me, we just got the car. Going out to drive later today!
Sounds great! Let us know how your MPG's go. Congratulations on the new car.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#6271 Aug 16, 2013
2014 Chevrolet Volt Now Offers Even Greater Value for Canadians:::

The Chevrolet Volt, already recognized for having the most satisfied owners, will soon come with another people pleaser: a lower price. The 2014 model will start at $36,895, plus $1,600 destination fee (excluding tax, title, license and dealer fees).

If consumers include provincial consumer credits, available in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia, ranging from $5,000-$8,231, pricing could start at $29,995. Program requirements vary by province, please consult the individual provincial programs for details.

ďThe lower price and cost savings offers Canadians the opportunity to own a Volt with an unmatched balance of technology, capability and cost of ownership,Ē said John Roth, vice president of sales, service and marketing for Chevrolet in Canada.ďStarting at $36,895, the 2014 Volt will offer the same impressive list of features and more, but for over $5,000 less. In fact, since its launch in 2010, the Volt has seen an increase in battery range and the addition of creature comforts, such as standard heated seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel in addition to Chevroletís MyLink infotainment system.Ē

Volt owners who charge regularly typically drive over 1400 kms between fill-ups and visit the gas station about once a month. The 2014 Volt will continue to provide owners with impressive fuel consumption of just 2.4 L/100km (electric) and 6.7 city/5.9 highway L/100km on gasoline power without any need to change their daily driving habits. Todayís Volt owners across North America have logged 364 million miles (585 million kilometres), including 225 million electric miles (362 million kilometres).

The Volt continues to be the best selling plug-in vehicle in Canada, outselling all plug-ins and EVís in 2012 combined, and is attracting new buyers to the Chevrolet brand. Canadaís large urban centres (Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal) continue to be Voltís largest markets in Canada. The Volt qualifies for access to coveted HOV lanes in these markets where available.

The Voltís lower price also changes the comparative set of vehicles on popular auto information sites like Driving.ca, Autofocus.ca, Auto123.com , Wheels.ca, etc., where visitors to these sites can search for a new vehicle by type and/or prices. The Voltís lower price will broaden its exposure to price-sensitive prospective buyers using these sites to search for a plug-in electric vehicle or a gas-powered alternative sedan.

The Chevrolet Volt allows gas-free driving for 40-80 kilometres depending on terrain, driving techniques and temperature. The range-extending engine gives the Volt up to 615 kilometres (380 miles) of total driving range. The 2014 Volt will start to be available in dealer showrooms late this summer. Chevrolet will introduce two new colors Ė Ashen Gray Metallic and Brownstowne Metallic for the 2014 model year Ė and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

http://media.gm.ca/content/media/ca/en/gm/new...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6272 Aug 16, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
2014 Chevrolet Volt Now Offers Even Greater Value for Canadians:::
The Chevrolet Volt, already recognized for having the most satisfied owners, will soon come with another people pleaser: a lower price. The 2014 model will start at $36,895, plus $1,600 destination fee (excluding tax, title, license and dealer fees).
If consumers include provincial consumer credits, available in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia, ranging from $5,000-$8,231, pricing could start at $29,995. Program requirements vary by province, please consult the individual provincial programs for details.
ďThe lower price and cost savings offers Canadians the opportunity to own a Volt with an unmatched balance of technology, capability and cost of ownership,Ē said John Roth, vice president of sales, service and marketing for Chevrolet in Canada.ďStarting at $36,895, the 2014 Volt will offer the same impressive list of features and more, but for over $5,000 less. In fact, since its launch in 2010, the Volt has seen an increase in battery range and the addition of creature comforts, such as standard heated seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel in addition to Chevroletís MyLink infotainment system.Ē
Volt owners who charge regularly typically drive over 1400 kms between fill-ups and visit the gas station about once a month. The 2014 Volt will continue to provide owners with impressive fuel consumption of just 2.4 L/100km (electric) and 6.7 city/5.9 highway L/100km on gasoline power without any need to change their daily driving habits. Todayís Volt owners across North America have logged 364 million miles (585 million kilometres), including 225 million electric miles (362 million kilometres).
The Volt continues to be the best selling plug-in vehicle in Canada, outselling all plug-ins and EVís in 2012 combined, and is attracting new buyers to the Chevrolet brand. Canadaís large urban centres (Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal) continue to be Voltís largest markets in Canada. The Volt qualifies for access to coveted HOV lanes in these markets where available.
The Voltís lower price also changes the comparative set of vehicles on popular auto information sites like Driving.ca, Autofocus.ca, Auto123.com , Wheels.ca, etc., where visitors to these sites can search for a new vehicle by type and/or prices. The Voltís lower price will broaden its exposure to price-sensitive prospective buyers using these sites to search for a plug-in electric vehicle or a gas-powered alternative sedan.
The Chevrolet Volt allows gas-free driving for 40-80 kilometres depending on terrain, driving techniques and temperature. The range-extending engine gives the Volt up to 615 kilometres (380 miles) of total driving range. The 2014 Volt will start to be available in dealer showrooms late this summer. Chevrolet will introduce two new colors Ė Ashen Gray Metallic and Brownstowne Metallic for the 2014 model year Ė and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.
http://media.gm.ca/content/media/ca/en/gm/new...
Great news and I'm very happy to see this. I love the line about Volt having the most satisfied owners.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6273 Aug 16, 2013
Bob Lutz, a staunch conservative Republican and the main force behind my awesome car, was thrown under the bus by his fellow Republicans.

He agrees with me.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/04/17/4...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/2012/03/1...

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/03/22/conservat...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6274 Aug 16, 2013
Charlene wrote:
<quoted text>No Volt club for me, we just got the car. Going out to drive later today!
Try driving in Low. It takes a while to get used to it, but most end up liking it better because it feels sportier. I added about 2 to 3 miles to my electric range using Low. My son gets 45 - 47 miles range in his Volt.

Low is not really a second, lower gear. The Volt is a single speed car. Low is merely software that tells the Electric motor to be much more aggressive with the regenerative actions when you take your foot off the accelerator. You can drive 100 mph in Low because it is the same ratio as D.

Regenerative actions are what adds more range to your battery.

You may not believe this, but when you put your foot on the brake, the brake pads are not actually stopping the car. What you are really feeling is the electric motor stopping the car. The pads take over at about 3 - 5 mph. This puts charge back into your battery.

That is during normal braking. When you have to make a fairly quick stop, the pads take over.

If you turn everything off, including the fan, you can occasionally hear the pads as they take over.

This is a forum of real Volt owners discussing driving in Low.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-...

Have fun.
Over Priced Cruze

Newtown, CT

#6275 Aug 17, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Bob Lutz, a staunch conservative Republican and the main force behind my awesome car, was thrown under the bus by his fellow Republicans.
He agrees with me.
A new low for the "Most Boring Man on the Web"; quoting far left welfare loving web sites.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#6276 Aug 17, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
He agrees with me.
HE agrees with YOU? LOL!! Yeah, I'm sure he dotes on your every word.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#6277 Aug 17, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
HE agrees with YOU? LOL!! Yeah, I'm sure he dotes on your every word.
I don't think Mr. Lutz has the inclination or the time to pay much attention.
Like most folks, repetition and same old, same old rhetoric gets onerous pretty quickly.
One wonders what makes people overdo it so often.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#6278 Aug 17, 2013
I'm sure Mr. Lutz is very nicely compensated for all his support for Volt.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6279 Aug 17, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
He agrees with me.
I told you not to make the car political. You do more disservice to yourself and the car by those actions. Again, just because some conservatives donít like it doesnít mean all conservatives donít like it, same for the libs. You in fact are hurting your cause by attempting to degrade and alienate a huge portion of the demographic by bringing politics into the discussion.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#6280 Aug 17, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>I told you not to make the car political. You do more disservice to yourself and the car by those actions. Again, just because some conservatives donít like it doesnít mean all conservatives donít like it, same for the libs. You in fact are hurting your cause by attempting to degrade and alienate a huge portion of the demographic by bringing politics into the discussion.
It's about time it's recognized that the "troubles" which happen here aren't always one sided.
One more thing.
I'm making it very clear, here and now, that not all the "Dominics" posting here are kosher.
I'm the one who doesn't use vulgarity, homophobic or sexual inferences, and faking IPs.
Nor am I the "Dominic" who supposedly apologized for being here or certain actions.
There is nothing to apologize for.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6281 Aug 19, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>I told you not to make the car political. You do more disservice to yourself and the car by those actions. Again, just because some conservatives donít like it doesnít mean all conservatives donít like it, same for the libs. You in fact are hurting your cause by attempting to degrade and alienate a huge portion of the demographic by bringing politics into the discussion.
Read the articles written by Bob Lutz. You're a fool if you don't believe him.

You just don't get it. In 15 years or so, when the world has changed and the Volt is recognized as the leader of these new cars, Obama and the liberals will get all the credit because of the hate mongers that have kidnapped the Republican party.

The Volt is a car conceived by conservatives and pushed through legislature by conservatives.

If you don't want me to talk about the truth, then don't ever ask where all this hate comes from.

So the next time you want to open the subject of hatred for the Volt, think twice.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6282 Aug 19, 2013
Dominic wrote:
I'm sure Mr. Lutz is very nicely compensated for all his support for Volt.
Just like he was for the Vipor and the BMW 3 series. It was Bob Lutz who prevented the Obama administration from killing the Volt program.

Why shouldn't an automotive genius be compensated for hard work. You make it sound dirty.

Unless you work for free, you should understand what that means.
Community Disorganizer

Newtown, CT

#6283 Aug 19, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
You just don't get it. In 15 years or so, when the world has changed and the Volt is recognized as the leader of these new cars,....
You really are a dolt, in 15 years that contraption will have gone the way of the Corvair, the Vega, and the GM diesel; LOL!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6284 Aug 19, 2013
Root wrote:
And another thing, when did you ever hear me say that all conservatives hate the Volt. You had better go back and read.

I said that Fox News and Rush Limbaugh hate the Volt. A simple click of the mouse would prove that to you.

Rush Limbaugh's audience, at it's peak was 14 million. There are 55 million registered Republicans in this country. That means that 40 million don't listen to him. And for a good reason. He's a hate monger.

Fox news, during prime time has about 1 million viewers. That's a far cry from 55 million.

Try watching this without gagging on it.

Dominic

Red Deer, Canada

#6285 Aug 19, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like he was for the Vipor and the BMW 3 series. It was Bob Lutz who prevented the Obama administration from killing the Volt program.
Why shouldn't an automotive genius be compensated for hard work. You make it sound dirty.
Unless you work for free, you should understand what that means.
Typically, you see something sinister in that post.
You need to learn something.
Not everybody who disagrees with you is your enemy.
And not everybody who agrees with you is your friend.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#6286 Aug 20, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
You just don't get it. In 15 years or so, when the world has changed and the Volt is recognized as the leader of these new cars, Obama and the liberals will get all the credit because of the hate mongers that have kidnapped the Republican party.
The Volt is a car conceived by conservatives and pushed through legislature by conservatives.
If you don't want me to talk about the truth, then don't ever ask where all this hate comes from.
So the next time you want to open the subject of hatred for the Volt, think twice.
If you Volt votes conservative does your son's Volt vote democrat? How do your Volts feel about snap fraud and the split between liberals and conservatives?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MPPS V18 Works on win7 Did all cars no problem! 20 hr uobd2 1
News Tesla's real capacity problem? Too many employees 20 hr MsAngelo 2
Lexia Diagbox 8.46/ 8.42/ 8.38/ 8.37/ 8.35/ 8.1... Thu Jerry523 1
How To Install FGTech Galletto V54 On Win 7 Thu uobd2 3
which one is best: XTOOL EZ500 / EZ400/ X100 PAD Thu jimmyLIN 3
(Promotion) Xtool X-100 PAD2 Pro Special Functi... Thu jimmyLIN 2
Xtool X-100 PAD vs. Xtool X100 PRO vs. X300 Plus (Feb '16) Thu jimmyLIN 4
More from around the web