Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 | Posted by: JJFADS | Full story: taintedgreen.com

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Comments
5,621 - 5,640 of 9,213 Comments Last updated 21 hrs ago
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Root wrote:
Strange comment, but Volt is #1.
It's dolt. He forgot that this is a Volt forum. He also thinks repetitive "judging" and using multiple personas is going to impress someone.

I guess he has to be more forceful now that his Canadian buddy is taking a breather.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

The only real problem with Tesla is the price and the range. The very things the haters hate the Volt for.

Except the Tesla costs 3 times as much and has only 40% of the range. Strange. For $100,000, I would expect to get out of town.

There are Tesla's galore in this little valley made of silicon. Rich folks here have always purchased the latest thing in cars. There are even a couple of Veyron's. Beautiful cars. And yes, the pre-orders a probably filled in.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Ouch. All these warnings in the Nissan Leaf Owner's manual concerning the main battery.

http://livingleaf.info/2012/07/care-and-feedi...

Wow. There are over a dozen don't's concerning the Leaf battery. Here are 4.

Nissan wants Leaf owners to do what the Volt's computer does automatically.

Don't keep it 100% charged for too long ... huh?
Don't charge it until it's under 80% charge
Don't charge it until it's cool
You MUST charge at least every 14 days.

What does the Volt manual say? Don't worry. Charge it. Keep it charged. Or ... not.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Nissan leaf is better. Hmmmmm. Is that why it had a lemon law enforced against it?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079475_n...
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Nissan Leaf. A great car if you only want to go 40 miles ... and back.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

WARNING!!

The above posts contain false, misleading, and alarmist material.

Viewer discretion is advised.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

Tesla Recall 99 Percent wrote:
<quoted text>Don't charge when hot? What if you need to?
That's the point. I don't need to. When I get on the freeway, Leafs are in the slow lane, hyper-milling. That 40 miles out and back is for city driving. Freeway driving is 32 out and back.

They HAVE to have a charging station at the other end if they don't want to have range anxiety. They HAVE to charge.

Point being, 6 years of charging when hot is going to do what? They are going to have a car with much less range and much less value.

The cooling system of the Volt keeps the battery within 10 degrees of ambient temperature. Even when charging. I once had the air conditioning system come on to keep the battery cool.

End result? I still get the same range after almost two years. 44-46 miles in the 7 warm months.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

The awesome Volt's cooling system, explained. 4 radiators!!!

http://gm-volt.com/2010/12/09/the-chevrolet-v...

This is why I can charge when the battery is (not) hot. Cuz the battery is not hot.

Warning. Information in informative links is misleading and harmful to haters brains. Only repetitive rants by haters can be trusted.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

Even MIT thinks the Volt is awesome. They love complex engineering. They comment on the complexity of the Volt's battery cooling system. Even the charging system has it's own cooling system.

From the link:

"The home charger system—which connects to a cord you can plug into an ordinary outlet—is tucked in under the fender, below one of the headlights. It has its own liquid cooling system, with coolant and a pump to circulate it."

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/427688/t...

OK, see ya tomorrow. Going where no Leaf can go. Oakland A' game and back.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

Forgot to mention. That is why it takes 13 kwh's to charge the Volt from a total discharge.

The car only allows just under 11 kwh's of the batteries 16 kwh's to be used. So why the extra 2 kwh's to charge? Because of fans and cooling pumps that operate while charging. About 15 cents.

The kwh buffer is what protects the Volt. Once again, read the Leaf manual excerpt and you will see that the driver must monitor these complex goings on.

So, at current rates and gas prices, I am only getting 135 miles per the cost of 1 gallon of gas. Terrible. Guess I should have bought a Leaf (and a second car for trips further than 60 miles).

My son's Volt gets better range than mine. His is a 2013. He's getting 47 miles per charge. The 2014's will have even better range than his. 

Warning: 93% of all Volt owners will buy another Volt. Another 4% are thinking about it. A record!!! All misleading and alarmist information gathered by Consumer Reports.

What an awesome car.

Later
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

WARNING!!

Many posts above contain information which is false, misleading, and alarmist.

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!!
Rube Goldberg

Newtown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

IluvmyVolt wrote:
The awesome Volt's cooling system, explained. 4 radiators!!!
This is why I can charge when the battery is (not) hot. Cuz the battery is not hot.
Warning. Information in informative links is misleading and harmful to haters brains. Only repetitive rants by haters can be trusted.
What a contraption! I love it. A maintenance time bomb; wait for it.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Judged:

Maintenance time bomb. I love it. 1 moving part in my motor. 94% oil life left after 20 months. No transmission to service. Brake pads used only 3% of the time. 8 year full warranty. 

In 2 years, I've spent $20 in mtc costs. Rotating the tires ... twice.

One good thing, if you own a Toyota, you don't have to wait for it.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20130109/OEM1...

The average gas car has hundreds of moving parts in their motors & transmissions. 1 in my motor and about 15 in my planetary.

You think 4 radiators are a time bomb? How many times have you replaced a radiator? A lot fewer times than you have changed your oil, or put new brake pads.

Did you know that car mtc. shops are seriously worried about people going electric because their number 1 and 2 money makers will be gone? Oil & brake pads.

In 5 years, I still won't have to change my oil and I'll still have about 70% of my brake pads left.

Radiator going bad. Whew ... good one.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

WARNING!!!

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!!!
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

IluvmyVolt wrote:
Maintenance time bomb. I love it. 1 moving part in my motor. 94% oil life left after 20 months. No transmission to service. Brake pads used only 3% of the time. 8 year full warranty. 
In 2 years, I've spent $20 in mtc costs. Rotating the tires ... twice.
One good thing, if you own a Toyota, you don't have to wait for it.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20130109/OEM1...
The average gas car has hundreds of moving parts in their motors & transmissions. 1 in my motor and about 15 in my planetary.
You think 4 radiators are a time bomb? How many times have you replaced a radiator? A lot fewer times than you have changed your oil, or put new brake pads.
Did you know that car mtc. shops are seriously worried about people going electric because their number 1 and 2 money makers will be gone? Oil & brake pads.
In 5 years, I still won't have to change my oil and I'll still have about 70% of my brake pads left.
Radiator going bad. Whew ... good one.
I believe that’s one of the great things about these cars, the lack of maintenance costs.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

For those who like geek speak:

Really interesting information on EV batteries from a true expert.

The following link is a GM Volt owners forum. One of the members asked Jack Rickard, an independent battery expert and EV bolder if constant charging would hurt the Volt.

The Volt manual recommends that charging, regardless of state of charge is best. They recommend this to keep the temperature constant, via the battery coolant / heating system.

Jack Rickard brilliantly explains why the Volt is a tour de force, compared to the Leaf, a car that makes the owner worry about the battery.

Really good reading.

The last two sentences:

"So you see to maximize warranty exposure, the Volt ALREADY limits you to 80% at the top and 35% at the bottom. The result is you don't have to worry with it.

So drive the car normally, charge when you like, and don't worry about it."

Also, this is really interesting:

"All the lithium ion cells work best in the middle and worst at the extremes. A FULLY CHARGED cell is not necessarily a good thing in such cells. The ideal would be a 50% charged cell. If you would charge to 51% state of charge (SOC) and discharge to 49% SOC, the battery would essentially last for 100 years. All lithium ion cells are COMPLETELY intolerant of overcharge. It destroys them immediately. And they are COMPLETELY intolerant of overdischarge as well.

But in the case of the Volt, you just do not have to worry about it. They've taken care of it for you. "

Now you can understand why owners who have to monitor their own batteries, instead of a cooling / charging system, are at a disadvantage. Especially soccer mom's.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php...

What an awesome car. That's why the SAE named the Volt best engineered car in the world.

Jack Rickard's web site:

http://www.evtv.me/
Over Priced Cruze

Newtown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

The none stop babbling of iluvmyVolt is the reason friends and relatives dread being in ear shot of bore.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

Tesla Recall 99 Percent wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you come here to post. This tells me you seek it out which means you must be a closet Volt fan. Please tell me you aren't in cahoots with the Canadian queen that likes to post here.
He calls interesting articles and facts babbling. Yet, 95% of his posts are nothing but repetitive rantings about me.

He says I'm a bore. I'd say I have his attention.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

Judged:

He even votes for himself. Truly baffling.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

WARNING!!

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Autos Forum right now

Search the Autos Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Arizona to get unaccompanied immigrant youths 3 hr Obamabaggers 40
How would you like to see your Ford Focus? Thu FordFocus 1
First Coast Gears: 'The Judge' proudly holds court Jul 22 Mike and Wanda 1
LINCOLN vs CADILLAC: Which is better??? (Jan '08) Jul 22 CADDYJP4 241
Court favors disclosing anti-gay marriage donors Jul 22 Wondering 1,692
Mexico's auto industry looks to luxury cars Jul 22 Concerned 4
Gingrich warns GOP to not be the 'anti' party Jul 22 Go Blue Forever 28
•••

Buy a New Car